HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oil kids

Old
03-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Iggy-4-50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yakupov's upside is so much higher than Gallagher's... Jeez, not even worth arguing this.
Possibly for offense,I say possibly because Gallagher had 3 straight 40+ goal seasons in the WHL himself, But it's worth arguing Gallagher will be a better overall player.And then of course there's the Russian vs Canadian player.

Sometimes draft order doesn't mean a thing

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:10 AM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7venbarschi View Post
Still laugh at most of the MSM saying the Oilers are building something special up there, lolz. Exactly what are they building? Pure crap.
People living in very fragile glass houses should not throw stones

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Possibly for offense,I say possibly because Gallagher had 3 straight 40+ goal seasons in the WHL himself, But it's worth arguing Gallagher will be a better overall player.And then of course there's the Russian vs Canadian player.

To be honest I'm not a fan of either team here, in fact I hate the Oilers because I cheer for the Canucks, but after reading what Habs fans say about Gallagher I have to say they are jumping the gun. Just for perspective almost 10 years ago the Canucks had a rookie leading NHL in goals early in the season, his name was Jason King. You may ask why I bring this up, well it's to point out that things don't necessarily last or turn out as good as you think until you see consistency over multiple seasons. Clearly Jason King probably no one remembers. Also since Gallagher used to play for the Giants in Vancouver, I have seen him play up close. He is a skilled player and is feisty. My biggest problems with him is his size and how often he gets creamed going in the dirty areas. Now if I'm not mistaken he has already gotten a concussion this year, so that means he needs to adjust how he plays because when he played for the Giants it was sometimes scary seeing what other guys did to him. Before crowning him better then a guy who is 2 years younger than him we better continue seeing good health and consistent production. Oh and the guy 2 years younger than him was drafted 1st overall, so clearly there must be some good upside. But hey I hope Yakupov is a bust for my own teams sake! Just saying that some of these claims about Gallagher are comical at best

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:24 AM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
One of the proposal was Yakupov for Gallagher and Habs 1st round pick. The junk player Gallagher has 6 goals, 7 assists (+12) in 20 games compared to Yakupov (supposedly one of your top player) stats of 6 goals, 6 assists (-12) in 23 games.
Yak has been playing on the third line with the Belanger triangle. The team is trying to bring him along slowly and let him work on his defence. When he has played on the first or second line he has been dynamic. I understand what the team is trying to do but at times it is painfull to watch. its like watching a Ferrari stuck behind a lada in traffic. His stats at this point mean nothing.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
Some of the guys I'd love the Oilers to go after is Wayne Simmonds and Evander Kane. Horton in the offseason wouldn't be bad either.

To Flyers:
Eberle
Gagner
2nd round pick

To Edmonton:
Simmonds
Schenn

Doubt Philly bites though
Oh, I think they bite, and then you'll regret trading Eberle for a long time...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:45 AM
Stephen

Quote:

That's a joke.

I hate the Oilers and Yakupov's Justin Bieber style teenage phenom antics but Yakupov has Gallagher beat. It's easy to crap on the last place team and all their players. I'd love to see people's opinions on Montreal when they've crashed back to earth.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:58 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I like how you try and sneak Ballard in there for a second. Not happening buddy.
Yeah I noticed that too - more like a 4/5th.

I would like Hall on the Sabres but it would like costly Grigorenko/Girgensons ++ or +++.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:49 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
To be honest I'm not a fan of either team here, in fact I hate the Oilers because I cheer for the Canucks, but after reading what Habs fans say about Gallagher I have to say they are jumping the gun. Just for perspective almost 10 years ago the Canucks had a rookie leading NHL in goals early in the season, his name was Jason King. You may ask why I bring this up, well it's to point out that things don't necessarily last or turn out as good as you think until you see consistency over multiple seasons. Clearly Jason King probably no one remembers. Also since Gallagher used to play for the Giants in Vancouver, I have seen him play up close. He is a skilled player and is feisty. My biggest problems with him is his size and how often he gets creamed going in the dirty areas. Now if I'm not mistaken he has already gotten a concussion this year, so that means he needs to adjust how he plays because when he played for the Giants it was sometimes scary seeing what other guys did to him. Before crowning him better then a guy who is 2 years younger than him we better continue seeing good health and consistent production. Oh and the guy 2 years younger than him was drafted 1st overall, so clearly there must be some good upside. But hey I hope Yakupov is a bust for my own teams sake! Just saying that some of these claims about Gallagher are comical at best
Pretty solid analysis overall, numbers. Gallagher has adjusted his game somewhat to avoid getting crushed against the boards. Prust and Pacioretty have seem to have been a positive influence as he makes excellent use of both when rotating between lines. While I do see a higher ceiling for the kid, if he can maintain the explosive style he's shown this season. Any Hab fan calling him an equal or even superior to Yakupov at this point in time may be a little high on the poutine. It is certainly possible Gallagher is the diamond in the rough player - and Montreal is almost Detroit-lite when it comes to finding them. However, making such a claim now is premature.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:42 AM
greenstickytoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
That's a joke.

I hate the Oilers and Yakupov's Justin Bieber style teenage phenom antics but Yakupov has Gallagher beat. It's easy to crap on the last place team and all their players. I'd love to see people's opinions on Montreal when they've crashed back to earth.
i take Gallagher anyday before Yakupov.
Yakupov is a one way player. If he doesnt score
he aint worth ****!
Gallagher is a pure hard working ball of energy
that will go in the traffic areas and corners.
And get trampled infront of the net for his teammates.
he's a pure pest around he nets and an attracted
target by almost all players letting his teammates
open. on top of that he's an amazing hockey player
and prob can deke and handle the puck as well as Yakupov.
i have seen Yakupov play and he's spectacular more than
anything else. But if we talk effectiveness for a team.
Gallagher is definitely alot more important.

perfect comparison.
Yakupov = Phil Kessel
Gallagher = Theoren Fleury
and im not comparing pts wise. i'm comparing style.

Last edited by greenstickytoes: 03-09-2013 at 04:51 AM.
greenstickytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:56 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Gallagher over Yakupov.... lol

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:37 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
That's a joke.

I agree that Yakupov is expected to be better than Gallagher, but Montreal is a better young team than Edm IMO.

Montreals simply a better structured team. They have some good two way centres in Plekanec and Galchenyuk, they have a top young goalie in Price, and they have a great top pairing with Markov-Subban, they have some other good young fwds in Pacioretty and Gallagher, and then their prospect pool is decent as well.

I would take Galchenyuk-Subban-Price to build around over Hall-RNH-Eberle, no question.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:44 AM
waitin425

If I'm Edmonton I don't trade any of the big 4 or Schultz. Those are great pieces to start with. If a solid D-man isn't available when the Oil is sitting at the draft table, trade their pick back a few spots in a package for a potential top 4 d man and other teams first.

For example....Oiler's have the 5th overall pick and jones is obviously gone.

Trade that pick to the Habs for Beaulieu and Mtls first (20th for arguments sake)

That is what I would be exploring as Oilers GM...increase your depth.

Note all bets are off for the Oil if Jones is available when they pick

Oh and can I also point it! Edmonton should be making a serious play for Bernier or Backstrom in the off season

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstickytoes View Post
he aint worth ****!

perfect comparison.
Yakupov = Phil Kessel
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:bi glaugh:

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:06 AM
jokerboysmith

Kessel for Yakapov and MPS

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
starting to get annoyed with some of my fellow oilers who are not patient enough to wait for the kids to develop and hav fallen in love with high picks
Starting to get annoyed with your stupid commentary that its simply a matter of patience when this team has no systems, a coaching carousel, regressed in many facets of their game, and it's clear as day how horribly unbalanced they are. We've been patient. It's going to have been 4 years of dead last hockey with minimal interference in terms of trades and signings. Get the **** real.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

I know the defense needs work, but damn if that forward talent isn't underachieving.

No way that team should be fighting for the 1st overall again. This team should be near the middle of the pack.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Iceonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstickytoes View Post
he aint worth ****!

perfect comparison.
Yakupov = Phil Kessel
You do not watch Yakupov and that proves it.

His +/- doesn't flatter him but his effort defensively is like 10x what Eberle puts in.

He just makes horrible decisions because he used to get away with a lot more in juniors than he does here. He will learn.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:07 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:

Sometimes 20 games into a player's rookie season it does matter

Go look at the stats of Stamkos and Tavares in their rookie seasons.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:33 PM
SFD22

I could see the Leafs trading Jake Gardiner for the Oilers' 1st round pick (if Jones is off the board). The Oilers will probably be picking somewhere in the #3-6 overall range judging by how they're playing right now. The Leafs would draft the centreman they want and the Oilers get Schultz (sp?) his friend and d-partner. The Leafs still have Morgan Reilly waiting in the wings to be their offensive catalyst.

SFD22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:13 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFD22 View Post
I could see the Leafs trading Jake Gardiner for the Oilers' 1st round pick (if Jones is off the board). The Oilers will probably be picking somewhere in the #3-6 overall range judging by how they're playing right now. The Leafs would draft the centreman they want and the Oilers get Schultz (sp?) his friend and d-partner. The Leafs still have Morgan Reilly waiting in the wings to be their offensive catalyst.
Biggs+ better be coming with Gardiner for that top5 pick

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:50 PM
DK28

Oilers: Tyler Myers
Draft Barkov/McKinnon/drouin.
Buffalo: Nail Yakapov
Draft Darnell Nurse/jones if they are lucky

Myers needs a change, Edmonton needs a top 2 dman to pair with Schultz. Draft centre.
Buffalo could use a dynamic offensive winger to pair with their centers. Take pressure off Vanek.

DK28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:56 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK28 View Post

Myers needs a change, Edmonton needs a top 2 dman to pair with Schultz. Draft centre.
Buffalo could use a dynamic offensive winger to pair with their centers. Take pressure off Vanek.
Myers does not need a change, he got that when Lindy was fired. The coach actually just said today "We like what we are seeing from Tyler."

No way in the world we trade Myers for Yakupov and there is no way Edmonton does that either.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:23 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK28 View Post

Yeah, no way Buffalo does that.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Flames rebuilder

The Oilers need someone that can teach them to win at an NHL level, I say go blockbuster!
Pitts:
Hall
RNH
Dubnyk

Oilers:
Malkin
Vokoun

Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:18 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:

Rod Brind 'Amour was a better overall player than Wayne Gretzky. Despite what some people here like to believe, most of the time high end offense is vastly superior and more valued than high end defense and ok offense. Would anyone take Bergeron over Crosby? Probably only a few Bruins homers, ha ha.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote