HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Quickest turnaround for a North American arena/stadium ever?

Old
03-08-2013, 04:44 PM
blueandgoldguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Just to update, yesterday, Blank and the city agreed on a deal for a $billion$ retractable roof stadium. Arthur will pony up $800 mil from his own pockets and investors and the city will put up the $200 mil from its hotel/motel tax. In turn, Blank also has to put some cash (not sure how much...$50 mil?) into the surrounding community. Most likely, the area will be newer retail, bars, and restaurants.
Pretty impressive if that comes to pass. Not too often you hear about an owner footing 80% of the bill for a new stadium/arena.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:47 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I think stadiums like the Astrodome are expensive to demolish. I heard that's a reason why the Big Owe was never demolished.
The Big Os problem is the metro station/line running underneath it.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
How bad can the Rams' dome be if built in the 90s? He's likely turning a profit since Deadspin showed even one of the worst NFL franchises in Carolina earned $117 mil in profits over the last 2 years.
It's a tomb. An absolutely dreadful place to watch football.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Aero 75

Current maintenance of the empty Astrodome costs Harris County taxpayers close to $3 million per year. Of the options proposed by a May 2012 report include a $656 million plan to turn the Astrodome into a multi-purpose facilty and replace Reliant Arena with an 8,000 - 10,000 seat facilty. Or they can demolish the Astrodome for $64 million. Harris County voters are expected to vote on the future of the Astrodome in 2013.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsmedia/20...odomes-future/

Aero 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:23 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Looks like Blank will put $65 mil back into the community.

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/falcons-r...m-terms/nWkLb/

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:34 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by End on a Hinote View Post
Are the lifespan of stadiums increasing?

Rogers Arena is already 18 years old and shows no signs of wear and tear. I remember arenas back in the 90's that were around that age and were already in talks about being replaced.
When built, arena are supposed to have 50 year life spans

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:08 AM
jiggsawpuzzle35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Camden Yards and the United Center were the game changers...which hurt the NBA more than anyone because so many of their buildings were built in the 80s, rendering them obsolete before their 10th birthday in most cases.

It's not just indoor arenas either...Chicago was at the forefront in one movement, but a dinosaur in another - U.S. Cellular Field (then Comiskey Park II) was the last pre-Camden Yards stadium built in baseball and by the time it was entering it's 10th year it was already one of the worst stadiums in the league. Over the course of half a decade they spent almost as much money as it cost to build it to renovate it into a more tolerable stadium. Timing can be a *****...had the White Sox decided to give their 80 year-old stadium another year of life they could have potentially been the team to kick-off the faux-retro trend in baseball instead of having a stadium firmly stuck in-between eras.

On a similar note to the Georgia Dome - the Edward Jones Dome, or whatever the hell they're calling the home of the St. Louis Rams these days. Opened in 1995 and acted as the reason why the Los Angeles Rams moved to St. Louis...and by 2015 it may be the reason they moved back to Los Angeles.
Actually the arrowhead pond of Anaheim was the game changer. It had one level created for club seating , 2 rows of suites, and a restaurant overlooking the rink.

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:16 AM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Camden Yards and the United Center were the game changers...which hurt the NBA more than anyone because so many of their buildings were built in the 80s, rendering them obsolete before their 10th birthday in most cases.

It's not just indoor arenas either...Chicago was at the forefront in one movement, but a dinosaur in another - U.S. Cellular Field (then Comiskey Park II) was the last pre-Camden Yards stadium built in baseball and by the time it was entering it's 10th year it was already one of the worst stadiums in the league. Over the course of half a decade they spent almost as much money as it cost to build it to renovate it into a more tolerable stadium. Timing can be a *****...had the White Sox decided to give their 80 year-old stadium another year of life they could have potentially been the team to kick-off the faux-retro trend in baseball instead of having a stadium firmly stuck in-between eras.

On a similar note to the Georgia Dome - the Edward Jones Dome, or whatever the hell they're calling the home of the St. Louis Rams these days. Opened in 1995 and acted as the reason why the Los Angeles Rams moved to St. Louis...and by 2015 it may be the reason they moved back to Los Angeles.
I always thought the Palace of Auburn Hills was the game changer for basketball arenas. The arena was built in 1989 and still looks modern 24 years later. I do agree with the White Sox. What a dud of a stadium that was. It looks like it was built in the 70's

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:30 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Pretty impressive if that comes to pass. Not too often you hear about an owner footing 80% of the bill for a new stadium/arena.
The only question that comes to mind is: why not build an $800m stadium with zero public money going into it? Does the public really gain anything from adding $200m worth of bells and whistles to a football stadium?

Blank's contribution is certainly admirable, though. Not many individuals would put close to a billion dollars into anything.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:28 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The only question that comes to mind is: why not build an $800m stadium with zero public money going into it? Does the public really gain anything from adding $200m worth of bells and whistles to a football stadium?

Blank's contribution is certainly admirable, though. Not many individuals would put close to a billion dollars into anything.
I think it's the difference between an open air stadium and one with a retractable roof. If an open air one was chosen, he probably would have put up $600 and put the rest on the the tax payers.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
I always thought the Palace of Auburn Hills was the game changer for basketball arenas. The arena was built in 1989 and still looks modern 24 years later. I do agree with the White Sox. What a dud of a stadium that was. It looks like it was built in the 70's
The problem with the Palace of Auburn Hills is the fact that it's in Auburn Hills; the money is West of Detroit, not North of it.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:31 PM
adsfan

The Bradley Center opened in the fall of 1988. The Bucks want a new place and have wanted one for several years. They have some club seats, I know a guy who got some free courtside tickets ($1200 each including food). Construction cost $90M plus about $60M for parking garages etc...They need more parking for 19,000 seats.

The BC opened with 68 luxury boxes. They are above and behind the lower bowl of the arena. I much prefer my second row seats for hockey, I don't need a TV to see what is going on. The BC has had some work done and now has 52 luxury boxes. The others went for some club. They want to divide some 12 seat boxes into four seats to make more money. The 12 seaters go for $100-200K a year.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:38 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
The Bradley Center opened in the fall of 1988. The Bucks want a new place and have wanted one for several years. They have some club seats, I know a guy who got some free courtside tickets ($1200 each including food). Construction cost $90M plus about $60M for parking garages etc...They need more parking for 19,000 seats.

The BC opened with 68 luxury boxes. They are above and behind the lower bowl of the arena. I much prefer my second row seats for hockey, I don't need a TV to see what is going on. The BC has had some work done and now has 52 luxury boxes. The others went for some club. They want to divide some 12 seat boxes into four seats to make more money. The 12 seaters go for $100-200K a year.
It doesn't have traditional club seats. It has those theater seats and loge boxes and then they took out I think 8 suites to make Club Cambria.

I don't think there's 52 suites anymore either. I think it's down to like 44 or 46 or something after they added the Hometown Champions Club and Miller Lite Home Court.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:11 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

Read somewhere that the White Sox turned down Populous' (then HOK) proposal for a Camden Yards-like stadium in favor of what became Comiskey.

As far as teams trying to get out of a new arena/ballpark go, the Minnesota Twins tried to get a new stadium built to replace playing in the Metrodome (opened in 1982 and is the ultimate utilitarian stadium) beginning in 1994. That's only 12 years.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:38 PM
MotorCityBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
The problem with the Palace of Auburn Hills is the fact that it's in Auburn Hills; the money is West of Detroit, not North of it.
Really? Oakland County is one of the richest counties in the U.S. If by west you mean California, you may be right.

MotorCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Key Arena was completely renovated with the NBA's blessing in 1996. In 2006 the NBA said it was no longer suitable, and that Seattle needed a brand new arena. And people wonder why the city didn't jump to build a new arena.
Key Arena was basically a new arena. They tore down the entire Seattle Center Coliseum, foundation and all except the four main roof support beams. Then dug out a deeper bowl, and built a new arena utilizing those existing roof supports to keep the characteristic look of the roof, a legacy of the Seattle World's Fair.

Nuclear SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Read somewhere that the White Sox turned down Populous' (then HOK) proposal for a Camden Yards-like stadium in favor of what became Comiskey.
I know that HOK's original proposal for Camden Yards was very similar to Comiskey, but the team wanted a more classic feel to it. It wouldn't surprise me if what you were saying is true as well.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:15 PM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
It's a tomb. An absolutely dreadful place to watch football.
It sure looks like a terrible atmosphere on TV. So dark, too.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
I remember that Scotiabank Place (originally, The Palladium) in Ottawa was modelled after the Palace in Auburn Hills when it was built in 95/96. The Palace seemed to be the model arena at that time.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:05 AM
tank44

Quote:
Originally Posted by End on a Hinote View Post
Are the lifespan of stadiums increasing?

Rogers Arena is already 18 years old and shows no signs of wear and tear. I remember arenas back in the 90's that were around that age and were already in talks about being replaced.
Rogers Arena also got some major infusions with the Olympics in 2010 and the recent success and influence from the Canucks. It still is one of the better arenas I've been at throughout North America. Been to about 20 NHL/NBA arenas in the past 10 years.

tank44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:13 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
I remember that Scotiabank Place (originally, The Palladium) in Ottawa was modelled after the Palace in Auburn Hills when it was built in 95/96. The Palace seemed to be the model arena at that time.
yes, it was.

the model was very scaleable and upgradeable, and offered considerable savings by building the bowl sunken below ground level.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:32 PM
StatesideSensFan

pshhh, that community around Georgia Dome 2 is screwed either way; they are just waiting that 65 million dollars.

StatesideSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:24 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatesideSensFan View Post
pshhh, that community around Georgia Dome 2 is screwed either way; they are just waiting that 65 million dollars.
Yeah...it is pretty scary around there. The area around Turner field got pumped with cash in the late 90's/early 2000's and it's still scary. We'll see I guess.