HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings VIII: Less then a month until the deadline

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
The only real problems are Kadri and Franson, and with amnesty buyouts it should be easy to free up the cap to make space for them.
I'm talking about future cap space. We can't fully spend to the max with the likes of Gardiner, Kessel and Phaneuf to think about resigning after this season.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:32 PM
AlbertaLeafFan31

You can spend damn near up to the cap. We will have Armstrong and tucker buyouts off then. The cap will more than likely go up a couple million. There will be money

Old
03-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Still bringing in the leagues 87th leading scorer for the 13th highest salary in the entire league seems like a retarded idea given he is soft and in multi year decline in PPG production, but hey what do i know

Old
03-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
As they say in the school yard..he started it..

Still bringing in the leagues 87th leading scorer for the 13th highest salary in the entire league seems like a retarded idea given he is soft and in multi year decline in PPG production, but hey what do i know
For those exact reasons it's a good time to buy low. I dont think he is the ideal solution BUT he is a definite upgrade over Bozak.

For those reasons i also think IF there is something in the works it will be a decent price. Bozak + Liles for Statsny is a fair deal.

That also allows us to free up a roster spot for Lupul or Gardiner as well.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:49 PM
hockeywiz542

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/881331/clip/330

Quote:
NHL Insider: Mar. 8

If Corey Perry wants to test the market, will Anaheim decide to trade him? Darren Dreger weighs in.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
At least do some research somewhere other than capgeek and hockeydb. Stastny hasn't been put in a situation to succeed over the past few years. His natural skill hasn't deteriorated, his first line/top PP opportunities has. Put him on a line with a pure goal scorer like Kessel and watch how good he can be. Funny how Lupul was also deemed a salary dump at the time of his trade. Things worked out pretty well with him after being put in a situation to succeed.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Colorado site all comments by Colorado fans about Stastny

When Stastny signed his $6.6M contract (2009-10) he'd scored 185 pts in 193 games (0.96 PPG) and went on to 79 pts in 81 games in (2009-10). He's now dropped to 0.72 PPG the last 2 seasons (110 pts in 153 games) & folks are calling him invisible/ghost ala Casper.

Didn't see it, but I'd hope that's the case. I thought Stastny would have a big bounce back year. I was wrong. He shouldn't be in the long-term future of this team, and with Weiss being out for the year, his value might go up. Not sure what we could get for him though.

Bozak + 2nd > Stastny right now seriously before leafs reneg..
I'm hoping a coaching change wakes him up but he's been useless offenisvely for several games now.

Get rid of this guy before his value is lower than a 4th liner.

Thats what Colorado fans on this site have to say in the last 10 days...

Old
03-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
I wonder what Dreger is going to say?

"There is no chance Perry will be traded, so don't even bother watching our trade deadline show"

Old
03-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Colorado site all comments by Colorado fans about Stastny

When Stastny signed his $6.6M contract (2009-10) he'd scored 185 pts in 193 games (0.96 PPG) and went on to 79 pts in 81 games in (2009-10). He's now dropped to 0.72 PPG the last 2 seasons (110 pts in 153 games) & folks are calling him invisible/ghost ala Casper.

Didn't see it, but I'd hope that's the case. I thought Stastny would have a big bounce back year. I was wrong. He shouldn't be in the long-term future of this team, and with Weiss being out for the year, his value might go up. Not sure what we could get for him though.

Bozak + 2nd > Stastny right now seriously before leafs reneg..
I'm hoping a coaching change wakes him up but he's been useless offenisvely for several games now.

Get rid of this guy before his value is lower than a 4th liner.

Thats what Colorado fans on this site have to say in the last 10 days...
Way to cherry pick a few comments from a few Avs fans. I can tell you for a fact that the majority of fans still value Stastny.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaLeafFan31 View Post
You can spend damn near up to the cap. We will have Armstrong and tucker buyouts off then. The cap will more than likely go up a couple million. There will be money
2 million dollars in savings, what does that buy you in the NHL these days? We can expect the cap to raise by 2-3 million most likely. We have to allow some cap flexibility for future signings. Also forgot that we have Reimer to resign after next season as well.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:03 PM
BertCorbeau
Speak my Changuage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Way to cherry pick a few comments from a few Avs fans. I can tell you for a fact that the majority of fans still overvalue Stastny.
Fixed

Old
03-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Fixed
Well played.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Drakkor

I don't see the argument against getting Statsny, depending on price.

Playing with Kessel will increase his points, the style of the team has made some of our more timid players aggressive.

He is a better option than Bozak for first line center and holding out in hope that another option presents itself that will highly unlikely happen is a waste.

Statsny only has one year left on his cap hit of 6.6 million. Its a by low and sell high opportunity if it fails, chemistry between him and Kessel, at the trade deadline next year. (as I said earlier depending on the price).

Just my opinion

Old
03-09-2013, 02:23 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

As I watched hte Oilers get their ass handed to them AGAIN last night. I mosied on over to the OIlers board to see what they thought.

Well those that were online were in basically full revolt.

"Rebuild the rebuild" was a phrase that stuck in my mind.

IF those guys were GM there is almost nobody untouchable on that roster.

And I mean only 2-3 guys.

Too bad Nonis has alreay been in contact with them and all he could get was a 4th for Brown.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Hawaiinleaf

We have Kadri, Bozak, Gabo all relatively smaller skilled centres kadri has bite but at 6'1" 185lbs not big in any sense of the word..

Size is required down the middle to bring balance Stastny is not big at all...so there still remains the the problem of the big Centre even if you want his enormously over paid butt in Toronto as there top paid player..

Can't wait for the howls of Kessel & Stastny paid $ 11M ++ and being invisible versus Boston and leaving Kadri to carry the load..

Old
03-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
We have Kadri, Bozak, Gabo all relatively smaller skilled centres kadri has bite but at 6'1" 185lbs not big in any sense of the word..

Size is required down the middle to bring balance Stastny is not big at all...so there still remains the the problem of the big Centre even if you want his enormously over paid butt in Toronto as there top paid player..

Can't wait for the howls of Kessel & Stastny paid $ 11M ++ and being invisible versus Boston and leaving Kadri to carry the load..
Show me an ideal center on a good cap hit that wouldn't completely gut our team of key young players/prospects like Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly, our 1st rounder?

The UFA route isn't an option either as Weiss, Roy or Filpulla don't play big and if you don't think they'll get overpaid you're being naive.

Stastny is an upgrade on Bozak and has upside that Bozak could only dream of. Stastny was a PPG player for an extended period of time and is still only 27. He is a great buy low candidate with little risk because he doesn't have much term left.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 03-09-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old
03-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
As I watched hte Oilers get their ass handed to them AGAIN last night. I mosied on over to the OIlers board to see what they thought.

Well those that were online were in basically full revolt.

"Rebuild the rebuild" was a phrase that stuck in my mind.

IF those guys were GM there is almost nobody untouchable on that roster.

And I mean only 2-3 guys.

Too bad Nonis has alreay been in contact with them and all he could get was a 4th for Brown.
Not Nonis' fault when Tambellini could only think of four 1st overall picks with a wide grin on his face.

Is Tambellini building a team or collecting picks like trophies?

Old
03-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Show me an ideal center on a good cap hit that wouldn't completely gut our team of key young players/prospects like Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly, our 1st rounder?

The UFA route isn't an option either as Weiss, Roy or Filpulla don't play big and if you don't think they'll get overpaid you're being naive.

Stastny is an upgrade on Bozak and has upside that Bozak could dream of. Stastny was a PPG player for an extended period of time and is still only 27. He is a great buy low candidate with little risk because he doesn't have much term left.
I'm also waiting for his magic solution. Should be pretty simple to acquire a big, physical and skilled top six centre signed to a good contract for peanuts, right?

Old
03-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Drakkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I'm also waiting for his magic solution. Should be pretty simple to acquire a big, physical and skilled top six centre signed to a good contract for peanuts, right?
Lmao. Piece of cake.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:47 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Not Nonis' fault when Tambellini could only think of four 1st overall picks with a wide grin on his face.

Is Tambellini building a team or collecting picks like trophies?
That picture if his was getting some serious bashing too.

The fans are ready to tear the team apart right up to Katz.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:51 PM
BertCorbeau
Speak my Changuage

How Tambellini is not even close to the hot seat for being fired it beyond me

... Are people still really believe this team can go from a bottom 5 to top 5 in the league over the span of one year?

Old
03-09-2013, 02:59 PM
calcal798

Couldn't the dea be made to be Liles + Bozak for Stastny? Colorado gets Liles back who worked out there, and has been unfortunate here. If he can get back to his old level his contract will be very fair. Bozak can replace Stastny on the third line for Colorado, and Stastny can replace Bozak for us.

Lupul-Stastny-Kessel
Frattin-Kadri-JvR
Mac-Grabo-Kuli

That's a pretty nice top looking 9.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
How Tambellini is not even close to the hot seat for being fired it beyond me

... Are people still really believe this team can go from a bottom 5 to top 5 in the league over the span of one year?
I swear he thinks drafting 1st overall three years in a row is enough to just magically fix everything.

All of those kids need real leadership on the team, you can't just rely on Eberle and Hall to put the team on their backs and lead the way. Their veterans are absolute jokes. Guys like Horcoff, Whitney and Smyth are brutal, they need to sell off some major assets to bring in some serious talent in their late 20's. Yakupov, Hall and RNH won't hit their respective potential developing with a bunch of other kids trying to find their way.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Here is a list of idea's

DRAFT
1. Put package together for top 7 Pick and draft Barkov or Monahan

PLAYERS
2. Washington Backstrom is a strong candidate to fill that role
3. St Louis TJ Oshie is another good idea..
4. San Jose Logan Couture fits the bill

PROSPECTS
5. MINNY Charlie Coyle

Logic & most likely

San Jose Logan Couture i think makes sense because San Jose has Tomas Hertl on the way up as a very promising rookie Centre and maybe the right deal can pry him loose..

Package for Logan Couture

San Jose needs speed and forwards and has a depleted prospect pool,

2014 1st + Mac + Percy or Finn...for Logan Couture

Old
03-09-2013, 03:15 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Here is a list of idea's

DRAFT
1. Put package together for top 7 Pick and draft Barkov or Monahan

PLAYERS
2. Washington Backstrom is a strong candidate to fill that role
3. St Louis TJ Oshie is another good idea..
4. San Jose Logan Couture fits the bill

PROSPECTS
5. MINNY Charlie Coyle

Logic & most likely

San Jose Logan Couture i think makes sense because San Jose has Tomas Hertl on the way up as a very promising rookie Centre and maybe the right deal can pry him loose..

Package for Logan Couture

San Jose needs speed and forwards and has a depleted prospect pool,

2014 1st + Mac + Percy or Finn...for Logan Couture
San Jose fans wouldnt do Kessel for Couture. I doubt they do that.

Closed Thread