HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Possible Addition Incoming

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Bank Shot

vCash: 500
Whitney for a faltering former 1st rounder.

The Oilers love them some first round busts!(Nilsson, Brule, Teubert, and the beat goes on)

Old
03-09-2013, 02:38 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
here's the nice thing about Tambellini at least, if you have to fire him he's not leaving a terrible situation for someone else to step into. That over abundance of patience has led to him keeping picks and prospects and the only people he's locked up long term are the highly skilled highly touted young players.... I agree that a change is needed because Tambo has shown that he doesn't have what it takes to make the correct moves to supplement the rest of the team, but it's not like he's actually crippling the team long term which is a small bonus at this point.
im saying, BEFORE he invests any long term money (anything beyond 2 years is long enough for his caliber of choices) into bad depth choices... e.g. Belanger, Eager, Smyth, Sutton... they need to make their decision on him now.

signing the skilled guys took no talent/intuition at all. and sticking to the draft is fine (and protocol for a rebuild), but where he failed was in free agency supplementation.

side note: in general, im going to hate that Horcoff contract forever. its so bloated for what he brings and it was based on a small sample size / anomaly year.

this is a pretty big off-season for the team in my opinion in management decisions and UFA terms (8 on the roster - 2 F, 4 D, 2 G).

Old
03-09-2013, 02:40 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
A big trade?

lol

exact opposite of an Oilers' move

Old
03-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdeol44 View Post
Yeah nice size.. right handed shot... might be worth giving him a shot.. especially if he could be had for a cheaper price
Yeah I don't know how much Carolina values him, but if he puts his game together he could be a very solid addition. He really torched OKC when we played Charlotte.

03-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
A big trade?

lol

exact opposite of an Oilers' move
Can't disagree with that, however you'd have to think that at some point some big moves need to be made.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
he needs to be fired. not because i hate the guy or whatever fan fun... but because you can't have a guy, who has been failing this long at addressing depth problems, go into an off-season and place long-term money into players that he most likely won't be around to fix. another GM will have to clean up his mess. not cool. fire him and get someone else in to start building their vision around the core before Tambo makes it worse.

he's had multiple seasons to make moves. we've KNOWN the glaring holes this team was going to have for multiple seasons (C- / D level vets with inexperienced youth) and none of them have been fixed in the slightest with the known fact that it was a "rebuild" the entire time.

how many of these players over the age of 23 do you want around on the roster? not many.

when the media is talking about Horcoff being a lynch pin to reaching potential mediocrity, you know your GM has failed you and the media is grasping at straws.
Good post.

I agree it's time for Tambo to walk the plank. A new GM coming in needs time to get ready for the draft and free agency, so this shouldn't wait until the end of the season.

The complete lack of depth amongst veterans, and this perpetual reliance on players like Horcoff and Smyth just can't be excused anymore. What has Stauffer been smoking? Under Horcoff's leadership during the first 3 years of his $33 million contract we have finished 30, 30, 29. Now, he is all of a sudden going to be able to turn this team around?

Horcoff, Belanger, Smyth and Vande Velde have been playing 3rd and 4th line center on this team the entire season. Combined, they have played 62 games between them - and they have scored 1 even-strength goal playing against other teams 3rd and 4th lines in all that time.

We don't need more of these guys. In fact, they should all be gone next season, and replaced with better depth.

Their production is absurd given their cap hits, and if MacT becomes the next GM, this will only exacerbate the problem.

So yes, Tambo needs to go, but the new GM needs to come from outside the organization.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:45 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Can't disagree with that, however you'd have to think that at some point some big moves need to be made.
Well, it's pretty obvious that Whitney is gone.

The question is who else do you move?

Old
03-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Well, it's pretty obvious that Whitney is gone.

The question is who else do you move?
I know who I'd move and have said as much in the "who do you bring back next season" thread. That said I have no idea who management keeps/deals.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

If we deal with Carolina it would be the 4th deal since Tambo's been on board. Pitkanen for Cole, Cole back to Carolina, Nash for 2nd rounder, and then this potential deal.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:51 PM
I3ig13ig

Firing Tambo while keeping Lowe in the organization is like putting a bandaid on herpes. Both need to go or else Lowe will just have a new puppet to play with after Pinochio is thrown out.

Once new managament from outside the organization replaces those two, then can we expect the proper moves made and progress to be seen. Until then, expect more garbage like this.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:53 PM
PikNailAndWeWontFail

Can we somehow trade tambo???

Old
03-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ig13ig View Post
Firing Tambo while keeping Lowe in the organization is like putting a bandaid on herpes. Both need to go or else Lowe will just have a new puppet to play with after Pinochio is thrown out.

Once new managament from outside the organization replaces those two, then can we expect the proper moves made and progress to be seen. Until then, expect more garbage like this.
The Oilers need their own John Davidson.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:55 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikNailAndWeWontFail View Post
Can we somehow trade tambo???
We might have to thrown in our coach, an athletic therapist, and some cheerleaders to make it happen.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
So Riley Nash then? Lol. I love threads like this.

Tambo's last big move came after two coffees and a bran muffin. I believe it when I see it and if it's a blockbuster, it's likely Lowe and MacT.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:08 PM
doubledown99

I'd be happy with a Yak for Skinner trade.

Skinner does have concussion issues but he is a pest and terrific goal scorer

Old
03-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
I'd be happy with a Yak for Skinner trade.

Skinner does have concussion issues but he is a pest and terrific goal scorer
Why would Carolina do that deal? They already know what they have in Skinner and Skinner was much more productive at 18 than Nail has been. It's a lateral move at best IMO.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Rutherford is as obsessed with marginal puck moving defenseman in the same way Lowe was in the late 00s, so my guess is Whitney for a few minor spare parts.

Carolina is also one of the few teams in the NHL that has ever been rumored to have even a slight interest in Hemsky, so maybe a bigger deal of picks, prospects, and suspects there.

But this is all based on speculation that someone who knows a player, who is currently playing in the OHL, who thinks he might be heading to edmonton. Why an OHL player(top prospect or not) would be kept up to date on a potential move involving them, no idea, but speculating on that question makes for a pretty dull thread.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:14 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Why would Carolina do that deal? They already know what they have in Skinner and Skinner was much more productive at 18 than Nail has been. It's a lateral move at best IMO.
The trade can't be one for one obviously..... Plus maybe cap reasons, injury concerns (Skinner just came back from another concussion....had one last year also).....who knows. I'm just throwing **** out there.

Though a line of Semin and Yak could be interesting

Old
03-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Rutherford is as obsessed with marginal puck moving defenseman in the same way Lowe was in the late 00s, so my guess is Whitney for a few minor spare parts.

Carolina is also one of the few teams in the NHL that has ever been rumored to have even a slight interest in Hemsky, so maybe a bigger deal of picks, prospects, and suspects there.

But this is all based on speculation that someone who knows a player, who is currently playing in the OHL, who thinks he might be heading to edmonton. Why an OHL player(top prospect or not) would be kept up to date on a potential move involving them, no idea, but speculating on that question makes for a pretty dull thread.
The only way that it makes sense is if a deal is imminent, has already been done and is awaiting NHL approval, etc. It is entirely possible, as poster Frank The Tank said these moves usually take some time and aren't just done in a few minutes, I know Frank personally and I know his situation and why he was allowed in the room with the NHL GM then and it is all fact. IIRC it was less than 10 years ago as well so unless things have drastically changed since then I'd expect things to be very similar now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
The trade can't be one for one obviously..... Plus maybe cap reasons, injury concerns (Skinner just came back from another concussion....had one last year also).....who knows. I'm just throwing **** out there.

Though a line of Semin and Yak could be interesting
The concussion part is scary for sure, but concussions are very common in this day and age. Skinner is to them what Hall is to us IMO, I don't see them moving him for anything less than RNH TBH.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
So Riley Nash then? Lol. I love threads like this.

Tambo's last big move came after two coffees and a bran muffin. I believe it when I see it and if it's a blockbuster, it's likely Lowe and MacT.
poopy time?

Old
03-09-2013, 03:27 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Presumably this rumored deal involves more players than Brock McGinn.

What would Carolina give us for Hemsky?
I don't think they have extra d-men, so it would probably be a forward. Tuomu Ruutu and the prospect in question (McGinn)? Not sure how Ruutu has been recently, but if he's still the same guy he was two years ago, I want him.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Here's a link with Jonathan W. and Bob S. saying there is no help coming.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ems-via-trade/

which means this potential trade is non-monumental.
So Horcoff is our big hope eh? This turkey will be back at the end of the road trip conveniently. How many games do you miss with a broken finger if you have hands of stone as it is?

Old
03-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
So Horcoff is our big hope eh? This turkey will be back at the end of the road trip conveniently. How many games do you miss with a broken finger if you have hands of stone as it is?
If Horcoff is our big hope then we be ******!

Old
03-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
If Horcoff is our big hope then we be ******!
Probably the point given that the team was setup for another tank year.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:06 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Did not know Jordan Staal was that good.
Now you know Jordan stahl is only 24 has put up 50 pt seasons with 3 line minutes behind crosby and malkin. Give him 2 line minutes and pp should be 75-80 pt.

Stahl is big gritty, excellent twoway player who also is great defensive. Thats what our team is in big need of and make the whole team better and harder to play against.

Carolina gave up brandon sutter to me and in stats a top ten 3 line defensive forward their 1 rounder(8 overall) penguins picked pouliot a D with great offensive instincts who dominates in Whl.

They also gave up their 2 round pick 2009 Domoulin big D prospect who doing fine in Ahl this season.

So it depends how you valuate your own players and more important, what your needs are.

Closed Thread