HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LI - All Talk From Around the League Here ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Habtchum*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I remember when people on this board were envious of Philly and their constant reactive moves.

It's nice when you have a GM able to take risks, but not risks for the sake of risks.
As much as size and toughness are Habs perennial problems, the Flyers don't have a clue about goaltending.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well they might have made some good moves. But not addressing the goalie one was incredibly dumb and being fired material. ESPECIALLY with key players like Richards and Carter who in the end ended up winning a cup later one.

That move made me think of what the Habs did when Koivu joined the Habs.....slowly but surely pushing everybody out as a C from Turgeon to Damphousse to make room for Koivu and yet...just not being able to get the guys needed to Koivu to make it a competitive team. Just what Philly needed was a goalie. I know the Pronger lost played big as well. But they also had time to adapt after it happened. And letting Giroux deal with everything offensive is exactly that.....offensive.
They probably would have been better standing pat on goaltending then going after Bryzgalov the way they did though. This was a team that had gone deep in the playoffs 3 consecutive years with mediocre tenders and its not like Bobrovsky was horrid either.

What they really should have gone for in net is minor ugrades and maybe build a decent tandem rather than go whole hog on a single guy while breaking up the two way talent at forward that was such a key part of why they were good in the first place.

Not to mention that getting younger at forward didn't help at all when they were so time limited on defense. Sure Pronger collapsing then couldn't have been forseen, but at his age you had to know his days as a top D were numbered. As with Timonen.

Losing Carle by going big game hunting and trading for Luke Schenn who just isn't a good defenseman really put a cap on that ongoing fiasco. They've got themselves a brilliant young forward group that's got no support from the back end. Its not that disimilar to what happened to MTL the previous season. They started off with a solid forward group but ran into big problems because they were counting on Markov to hold the defense together and he wasn't availible.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
They probably would have been better standing pat on goaltending then going after Bryzgalov the way they did though. This was a team that had gone deep in the playoffs 3 consecutive years with mediocre tenders and its not like Bobrovsky was horrid either.

What they really should have gone for in net is minor ugrades and maybe build a decent tandem rather than go whole hog on a single guy while breaking up the two way talent at forward that was such a key part of why they were good in the first place.

Not to mention that getting younger at forward didn't help at all when they were so time limited on defense. Sure Pronger collapsing then couldn't have been forseen, but at his age you had to know his days as a top D were numbered. As with Timonen.

Losing Carle by going big game hunting and trading for Luke Schenn who just isn't a good defenseman really put a cap on that ongoing fiasco. They've got themselves a brilliant young forward group that's got no support from the back end. Its not that disimilar to what happened to MTL the previous season. They started off with a solid forward group but ran into big problems because they were counting on Markov to hold the defense together and he wasn't availible.
The thing that I find with Philly is that they make huge changes on a semi annual basis. They never stick with a core group for very long. Well, that and they never have any decent goaltending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
As much as size and toughness are Habs perennial problems, the Flyers don't have a clue about goaltending.
So strange that neither team has realized this problem and solved it yet. At least Bergevin got Prust.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The thing that I find with Philly is that they make huge changes on a semi annual basis. They never stick with a core group for very long. Well, that and they never have any decent goaltending.

So strange that neither team has realized this problem and solved it yet. At least Bergevin got Prust.
That is the scuttlebutt on them. Crazy aggressive GMing and a total institutional failure to understand goaltending. They don't always suck at goaltending, but we they don't they rarely seem to understand why.

Curse of Bernie Parent is going strong for them.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
That is the scuttlebutt on them. Crazy aggressive GMing and a total institutional failure to understand goaltending. They don't always suck at goaltending, but we they don't they rarely seem to understand why.

Curse of Bernie Parent is going strong for them.
I think it's the Pelle Lindberg curse.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Muminek

Gomez scored

Old
03-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muminek View Post
Gomez scored
Next Gretzky for sure

Old
03-09-2013, 04:36 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Gomez scored
Fire Bergevin.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:43 PM
sheed36

I had to check boxscore on NHL.com after the game today to see if Couturier even played against the Bruins. I watched most of the game and I can't recall hearing his name at all.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:48 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Leafs won't make it this year.
Unfortunately, they will. I predict anywhere from 4th-7th. Yup, that's right. They finally got it together. Thank god we did too at the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I will never know why/how Bryz got that contract. I always thought of him as a poor starting goaltender who was very shaky and prone to streaks.
He's a Stanley Cup winning backup!!

I wonder when the value of his eccentric quotes will run their course and flyers fans will want him to actually get serious and play.

Quote:
Gomez scored
Honestly, doesn't surprise me. I wasn't a hater when he was here, but I wasn't upset with letting him go either. My opinion was/is that he just didn't have it together, particularly with the way our team was built. He'll be useful to the Sharks.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:52 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Unfortunately, they will. I predict anywhere from 4th-7th. Yup, that's right. They finally got it together. Thank god we did too at the same time!

He's a Stanley Cup winning backup!!

I wonder when the value of his eccentric quotes will run their course and flyers fans will want him to actually get serious and play.

Honestly, doesn't surprise me. I wasn't a hater when he was here, but I wasn't upset with letting him go either. My opinion was/is that he just didn't have it together, particularly with the way our team was built. He'll be useful to the Sharks.

Priceless

Old
03-09-2013, 05:00 PM
sheed36

A hockey game just broke out in the Canada/Mexico baseball game..

Old
03-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Kenny Powders

****ing Bruins. Each time we're ahead of them in the standings, they just keep on winning till they come ahead of us.

Flyers are abysmal tho.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:15 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
****ing Bruins. Each time we're ahead of them in the standings, they just keep on winning till they come ahead of us.
Guess I shouldn't pull the rug out from under you by telling you they will win the division over us, and that Santa Claus isn't real.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Mrb1p

CBJ at 4 points of the Blues, who hold the 8th spot in the western Conference.... They are surprising me. Even though they played more game than every one else. Still think they might be good for a 10th-8th finish. They have alot of depth.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:32 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post

Priceless
ahahahaha!

It's the Russian version of "Just chill."

Old
03-09-2013, 05:33 PM
habtastic

Quote:
I know right? So premature.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:39 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

Flyers are abysmal tho.
Good the last thing this habs team needs is to finish 1st OA and go into the playoffs with an inflated ego. They need to know they are not the best team in the conference and can't float to victory.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:49 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If nothing else, this prives that "tanking" as a strategy is dumb. Once you go to the bottom as a team it's a hard road back to the top. Phoenix, Columbus, Florida are other examples of failure breeding failure.
Tanking alone is not sufficient to build a contender.

You also need good drafting, decent trades and UFA acquisition. Right now Edmonton is trying to win by tanking and only tanking, that is why it will take a long time for them to make the playoffs.

Both Columbus and Florida are improving.

BTW, do you think Columbus was trying to tank when they traded Voracek and Couturier for Carter, when they signed Propsal and Wisniewski? I thought they were trying to make the playoffs.

Last edited by DAChampion: 03-09-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old
03-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Emanresu Wen

Gomez third star (only shark) in a 4-3 OT loss

1g 1a

Old
03-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Physical HABuse

I am sure glad I'm not an Edmonton fan.......a team of firsts (or close to it) that always seems to finish last. That would be so frustrating. They're Stanley Cup is the draft lottery.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Pittsburgh up 3-1 after 1...smells like a nother 7-6 game like last Saturday.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
What is that sound?

The sound of an 18 wheeler approaching a cliff.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Tanking alone is not sufficient to build a contender.

You also need good drafting, decent trades and UFA acquisition. Right now Edmonton is trying to win by tanking and only tanking, that is why it will take a long time for them to make the playoffs.

Both Columbus and Florida are improving.

BTW, do you think Columbus was trying to tank when they traded Voracek and Couturier for Carter, when they signed Propsal and Wisniewski? I thought they were trying to make the playoffs.
The traded for carter and signed Wisniewski because years of sucking didn't get them a winner. Granted their drafting and development wasn't great, but still goes a long way towards proving how bad tanking could be. CBJ wasn't tanking, they just sucked.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:18 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The traded for carter and signed Wisniewski because years of sucking didn't get them a winner. Granted their drafting and development wasn't great, but still goes a long way towards proving how bad tanking could be. CBJ wasn't tanking, they just sucked.
Indeed, their result in 2011-2012 was the result of a failed playof strategy.

That said, I'm going to defend them: they're recovering properly. They got a really good package for Rick Nash: two young and respectable roster players, a 1st rounder, and bluechip prospect Tim Erixon. They also got young dmen Jack Johnson and another 1st rounder for Jeff Carter, who didn't work out.

Their D-system now has Ryan Murray, James Wisniewski, Jack Johnson, and Tim Erixon as well as Fedor Tyutin and John Moore; that will be a good d-corps real soon. They have Derrick Brassard, Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan Johanson as young forwards. They have a 16 million in cap space, and their worst contract is R.J. Umberger at 4.6 million through 2016-17. They have three 1st rounders in the upcoming super-deep 2013 draft, and they have a great new GM.

The future is bright in Columbus, and it starts with the Rick Nash trade.

Closed Thread