HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Duchene

Old
03-09-2013, 02:34 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Duchene really stepped up his game this season, and it's impressive as he has must have had to take a step back during the off-season to figure everything out. I was very worried about him last season, he seemed to ditch his hockey sense and run completely using his natural gifts.

However this season he is using his hockey sense to get into positions to succeed, and only using the spin moves, or dangles when he needs to, or if there is no harm in doing so. He is playing much smarter and efficiently this season. I also think having that PK time in Sweden has done him a ton of good, he could become the most dangerous PK player in the league with his quick strike offensive skills.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Fastest player in the nhl. He might be
Probably not faster than a guy like Grabner but yeah one of the fastest

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Adama0905

I just hope that he's actually developing and it's not just a result of getting some really good linemates in PAP and Mcginn.

I don't think that's the case though. He just seems to be so much all over the place, much more physical than before (going head to head physically with the likes of big guys like Weber and winning to score goals), stripping pucks and just winning. Really so nice to see it. I have to admit some thoughts of him being the next supremely talented but ultimately underwhelming player have crossed my mind before. Great stretches of play like this give me hope again.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Nihiliste

One of my favorite plays last night was him casually tossing Kane to the ice with his offhand to take possession and transition out of the zone.

Dutchy's obviously a pretty competitive guy and I notice he targets guys that he feels are comparables to him out there when he tries to play physical - Kane, Hall, Yakupov, etc.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:39 PM
PAZ

I love our young core. O'Reilly, Varlamov, Duchene, and Landeskog are all super competitive and go the extra mile to get better. I feel like we can throw Barrie in that group soon as well. EJ is great and can still become a #1, but IMO he doesn't have the competitive edge that the others do.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I love our young core. O'Reilly, Varlamov, Duchene, and Landeskog are all super competitive and go the extra mile to get better. I feel like we can throw Barrie in that group soon as well. EJ is great and can still become a #1, but IMO he doesn't have the competitive edge that the others do.
I think EJ is a part of our core and will be the cornerstone on D for a long time. I'm not sure about his competitive nature but his talent is undeniable. He immediately makes our defence much better and does so to a degree that the vast majority of nhl d-men would not be able to match.

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:50 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
Where's ol' Kyle Cumiskey at these days?
The best d-man in the swedish elite league. And Joakim Lindstrom is probably top 3 amongst forwards.

RobinDIF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:54 PM
benzino

Quote:
Ummm EJ might be the most competitive player we have. He almost killed Jiggy when he had to leave the Phoenix game that's how much he wants to play and win. He puts too much pressure on himself to do everything though that's always been his problem, Avs really need to bring in a proper D-man to help take some pressure off him and a real head coach would also help.

benzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
I think EJ is a part of our core and will be the cornerstone on D for a long time. I'm not sure about his competitive nature but his talent is undeniable. He immediately makes our defence much better and does so to a degree that the vast majority of nhl d-men would not be able to match.
I think his compete level is pretty high. It's his offensive hockey IQ that may not be at as high a level as hoped for IMO.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Kid is a beast! Duchene > Nuge

Bgav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
LOL Nuge not even close yet.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
What?

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:46 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
It's definitely close.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:48 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I think his compete level is pretty high. It's his offensive hockey IQ that may not be at as high a level as hoped for IMO.
He looked good with that stutter step and pass last night. I think it will come, he just needs to get a little confidence and the team needs to start pushing the play.

People forget he had a 39pt season his first year in the NHL and a 10 goal season.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
It's definitely close.
...Nuge as in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins? The guy with 8 points this season?

Old
03-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
He looked good with that stutter step and pass last night. I think it will come, he just needs to get a little confidence and the team needs to start pushing the play.

People forget he had a 39pt season his first year in the NHL and a 10 goal season.
Yea I really want to see what he can do with another like minded two way guy, preferably with more offense. I think that could bring out some more offense in him. I just don't see him consistently making a lot of creative offensive plays on his own. Mostly relying on his talent level and physical tools.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Maybe a coach which played him more might help? Heh.

I don't want to see any of our key guys moved til Sacco goes.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
He's actually very competitive, probably the most out of all the avs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
Nuge all day every day.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Isn't RNH dealing with a shoulder injury this year?

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:05 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

RNH has a ton to prove before I even consider him next to Duchene. Duchene is a way better all around player, and is a more reliable scorer. People tend to degrade Duchene over 1 bad season where he was injured and demoted to the lower lines. Look at seasons 1, 2, and 4 and you see a #1C that has dynamic, near elite talent. If he continues to develop he will be a top 20 player easily.

RNH will have injury problems at very least until he bulks up, and possibly throughout his career. He is very, very weak on faceoffs, and I am not impressed with him defensively. Last year, I think Eberle helped him more than any linemate Duchene has ever had (Flash for 20 games comes close and PAP is getting there). Now none of RNH's issues can't be solved, but he is 2-3 years away from being a good #1C instead of just a passable one. If he puts it all together he has elite talent (I don't personally think it happens and he ends up a solid #1).

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:57 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

I've been really, reaaaally impressed with his impact. He's not just getting assists off broken plays or because PAP has been great. He's just been straight up making plays. Two that come to mind is winning the board battle quickly down low and giving it to Mcginn for the goal. Happened against the Preds and again yesterday.

He's missed out on alot of goals too. Constantly generating scoring chances and he's looking like a true game breaker, a guy who can change the game by himself and do so on the scoring sheet.

ANewHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:11 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
...Nuge as in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins? The guy with 8 points this season?
He plays for the dynasty Oilers, of course he's better than Duchene

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Maybe a coach which played him more might help? Heh.

I don't want to see any of our key guys moved til Sacco goes.
What're you talking about? Duchene gets his 20 every single night. We shouldn't ever have to play him more than that.

And if you're talking about Johnson, he gets about 22 every night as well. He hasn't earned more minutes than that yet.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
What're you talking about? Duchene gets his 20 every single night. We shouldn't ever have to play him more than that.

And if you're talking about Johnson, he gets about 22 every night as well. He hasn't earned more minutes than that yet.
EJ and he most certainly has earned 25 a night.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
I don't know how you think he doesn't deserve more than 22 minutes a night. Maybe if we were talking last October/November, but not since then.

He is +11 since his poor start to the last season (AKA December on). So that's over his last 64 games. In that time the team sits at roughly -14 G/A. So far this season he starts in the offensive zone the least amount of all the Avs defencemen (tied with Hejda). He's been going head to head against the top lines, and is still +5 in 12 games. He may not be scoring but he makes a big difference to the team.

The difference between him in the lineup this season verse not in the lineup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Slightly bigger sample now.

In the 12 games with EJ, shots for/shots against are: 30.8-29.4
In the 11 games without EJ, shots for/shots against are: 27-34.9
To add:
With EJ (12 games)
GF: 2.42
GA: 2.33

Without EJ (11 games)
GF: 2.72
GA: 3.55

If EJ hasn't earned more than 22 minutes a night, then what have all the other defencemen earned?

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote