HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you fire Laviolette? (Philadelphia Daily News article dated March 12, 2013)

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 03:29 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Both should be canned soon, before the 6 day break that the new coach could use as a mini camp.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:44 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Both should be canned soon, before the 6 day break that the new coach could use as a mini camp.
Eddie is not a patient Man, heads will roll if there isn't a turn around quickly.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:46 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

I like(d) Lavi - but after today - something's gotta change. I'm afraid we may indeed need a new coach...

Old
03-09-2013, 03:47 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Eddie is not a patient Man, heads will roll if there isn't a turn around quickly.
Turnaround? The season is toast, might as well fire him now. He's lost them. When one of your leaders says they packed it in after going down 1-0, it's over.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:49 PM
FlyersFan61290

i've said it for a while now, yes. the team has gotten progressively worse under him. i understand there are obvious and legitimate reasons for there current situation there is no excuse for their lack of effort/constantly making the same mistakes. so unless you're going to change the dynamic of the locker room again and hope it works this time around you have to get a new face in there to change things up.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:49 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Turnaround? The season is toast, might as well fire him now. He's lost them. When one of your leaders says they packed it in after going down 1-0, it's over.
Put together a 5 game winning streak and that will change quickly.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:50 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I like(d) Lavi - but after today - something's gotta change. I'm afraid we may indeed need a new coach...
Same. Lavy was the man.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:11 PM
daynus

i was under

the impression that with a 48 game season, give lavy some slack. but now my patients has gotten pretty thin. its like we have some pretty darn solid pieces, missing some but not a large amount. so who do you can, homer-lavy both. and whom do you guys like. for gm, someone outside the organization. someone who will probably go with a coach from the chl. i kinda like regier and ruff as far as old buffalo. its kinda like me sitting back waiting for conclave, see who our new pope is. the choices are the italian, i am pulling for the brazilian or canadian, its time to fix that mess of a church we have. so do the flyers go with guys outside the organization or go with some people already in the organization.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:24 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
i've said it for a while now, yes. the team has gotten progressively worse under him. i understand there are obvious and legitimate reasons for there current situation there is no excuse for their lack of effort/constantly making the same mistakes. so unless you're going to change the dynamic of the locker room again and hope it works this time around you have to get a new face in there to change things up.
One look at hockeydb shows Lavi clearly, he makes teams worse, that's what he does.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:25 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I just can't see Ruff fixing this team. What is the system he likes to play anyways? Also, what is Craig MacTavish up to?
Nothing will fix this team, sadly. They just don't have the players.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:36 PM
gonnaneedsomewine

I like Holmgren but he is too reactionary sometimes. Voracek and Couturier have been great pickups from the Carter trade but I think this team desperately misses Mike Richards. Simmonds is an awesome guy to have and I've always liked Schenn, but Mike Richards epitomized what it meant to be a Flyer and was their best two way center.

Signing Bryz to that deal was just plain awful. He's a below average goalie and the system Lavi plays + the Flyers' suspect defense doesn't help cover up his deficiencies.

The Flyers defensive corps really misses the presence of Chris Pronger. It's unfortunate.

Lavi is a good coach. He's got a young team up front that needs time to develop, and I think they definitely miss the presence of guys like Pronger, Jagr, and even JVR.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:40 PM
FlyingPhilly

Holmgren always changes direction every season. After he traded Richie and Carter, he said he wanted to get bigger on the wings, signed Jagr too. Then, this past off-season he loses Jagr and trades JVR, but didn't replace those big wingers. I really think Holmgren needs to go. Lavy has to go too and I like him as our coach.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:54 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Put together a 5 game winning streak and that will change quickly.
Easier said than done. I'd like us to go 5 periods without losing heavily, let alone games.

Laviolette has lost the dressing room, he should lose his job too. He has no idea how to turn this piece of **** team around.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:55 PM
FlyerBearsCheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
I like Holmgren but he is too reactionary sometimes. Voracek and Couturier have been great pickups from the Carter trade but I think this team desperately misses Mike Richards. Simmonds is an awesome guy to have and I've always liked Schenn, but Mike Richards epitomized what it meant to be a Flyer and was their best two way center.

Signing Bryz to that deal was just plain awful. He's a below average goalie and the system Lavi plays + the Flyers' suspect defense doesn't help cover up his deficiencies.

The Flyers defensive corps really misses the presence of Chris Pronger. It's unfortunate.

Lavi is a good coach. He's got a young team up front that needs time to develop, and I think they definitely miss the presence of guys like Pronger, Jagr, and even JVR.
Reactionary? I think you mean "knee-jerk".

Old
03-09-2013, 08:04 PM
MsWoof

Has Lavi been fired? 1865 just posted "Laviolette out" on the main board thread.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Tripod

Lavi has refused to alter his gameplan of all out attack. We know that Bryz is a good goalie if the teams plays good D. So why not play to your goalies strength??

Old
03-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Flyerfan4life

i just heard boosh down Leights up.

is this also true? ??

maybe Leights finaly gets his 20 games sink or swim tryout.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:09 PM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Has Lavi been fired? 1865 just posted "Laviolette out" on the main board thread.
no, unless 1865 knows something nobody else does

Old
03-09-2013, 08:11 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
I guess the meaning of sentence structure means nothing to him.

I thought maybe someone in the Philly area might have heard something but so far, nothing on Twitter.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
Doesn't really make sense. Why fire a coach after 15 games, but not 48?

He's not adapting his style for the team. The guy has won a Cup, no one can take that away from him. However, the team he won the Cup with wasn't even close to the same makeup as this team. There you had a veteran team with hot goaltending. Hear you have a young team with mediocre goaltending. Lavi seems like the coach you bring in to put an already contending team over the top. That's what he was when he was first hired, and if we didn't have Leighton and possibly had a better 3rd pairing, he'd have another Cup to his name. But that team is gone, and we need someone that's going to develop our players into solid NHLers, not develop players to play all-out offense. When they're not falling into early goal deficits, they're blowing leads.

I honestly don't see Laviolette not finding a job elsewhere. I think if the team continues to fizzle, going separate ways at the end of this season might be the best option for both him and the team. He's still extremely young for an NHL coach and this will not be his last job in the NHL. There are teams he's probably more apt to coach than this current Flyers team. I really like the guy, but it's just not a good fit anymore. There's no need to call attention to it by dragging it on for a year and having a guillotine hang over the guy's head whenever there's a bad loss, just let him go with some dignity, because regardless of his shortcomings all coaches of poor teams in Philadelphia become scapegoats by the end of their tenure.

I like the idea of firing a coach after 15 games because of two things. One, sometimes the team really goes on a roll (like St Louis last year or LA) after the coach is fired and two, if the new coach doesn't work, you can fire him at the end of the season and say that the coach was only interim. It's like a Mulligan. If you hire a new coach in the off season, and he doesn't work out, it's hard to fire him after one season because it makes the team look "knee-jerk" and not well planned. for as ill-planned as Holmgren sometimes seems, doing the midseason firing is a way to save face. He can have a "do over" after the season.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
It's a statement of intent. It's used all the time in by football crowds when they want a manager to be sacked.

So, Laviolette out!

Old
03-09-2013, 08:30 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
You guys want Lavi sacked as bad as Isles fans want Capuano sacked.
Some of you guys want Lavi sacked as bad as some of us Sharks fans want McLellan sacked.
But really, I only want McLellan gone if we replace him with Lavi. Replacing him with no one would suck.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:33 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Laviolette is probably my favorite Flyers coach in my lifetime(I'm 26). However, I do feel it's time for a change. This whole organization needs to clean house. The last few years they seem to have adapted the same Eagles aura of "we're smarter than everyone else".

Bring in a whole new crew that has no real prior affiliation with the team. Get a new direction and take the time to grow the team. I'm terrified that Holmgren's track record of knee-jerk trades will strip this team of any young talent we've acquired. How many people here ever thought Richards would be moved? I know I didn't. I have no confidence at all in Holmgren's ability to patiently build a contender.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
Laviolette is probably my favorite Flyers coach in my lifetime(I'm 26). However, I do feel it's time for a change. This whole organization needs to clean house. The last few years they seem to have adapted the same Eagles aura of "we're smarter than everyone else".

Bring in a whole new crew that has no real prior affiliation with the team. Get a new direction and take the time to grow the team. I'm terrified that Holmgren's track record of knee-jerk trades will strip this team of any young talent we've acquired. How many people here ever thought Richards would be moved? I know I didn't. I have no confidence at all in Holmgren's ability to patiently build a contender.
Same age and the best coach I can remember as well. Also Tinicum? Not far from me . But I think the first person to go is Lavy. I think we should wait till the off-season or just after the trade deadline to figure out if we should get rid of the GM.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post

I think you have to wait for Ed Snider to pass away before you see a cleaning of the house. If Holmgren is let go, he will be replaced by another ex-Flyer. I like continuity, but I think there is something to be said for a fresh voice.

Closed Thread