HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
A profile on Matt Buckles of the Junior A St. Michaels Buzzers, and the top 17-year-old scorer in the Ontario Junior Hockey League this season, finishing fourth in the league with 40 goals:
Quote:
Matt Buckles (RW, 2013) St. Michaels Buzzers

Hard working, competitive forward who plays with tenacity .. his CHL rights are held by the Soo Greyhounds, however he is committed to play for the Cornell Big Red .. represented Canada East at the 2012 World Jr. A Challenge .. talented finisher with quick, skilled hands .. thrives cycling, shielding the puck impressively in traffic while utilizing a large, thick frame .. packs a heavy shot that features a quick, stealthy release .. doesn’t telegraph shots, generating impressive velocity with a minimal windup .. very determined once he gets into a lane, drives the net with authority .. brings a solid net presence – adept at positioning himself for open spots around the goal, keeping his feet moving and battling for a positional edge ….an awkward, rigid skater who lacks prime footspeed .. more of an hunched skater whose stride lacks power and start-up speed .. elevating his playmaking tempo is a key for him as he tends to slow down in possession .. can struggle with his discipline levels at times – goes overboard and can take poor penalties at inopportune times .. expected to lead the Buzzers deeps into the playoffs, and continuing to showcase his offensive flair before leaving for Cornell in 2014.

- Team Canada East evaluation camp report (Nov, 2012, David Burstyn)

Enjoyed an extended run with Lakeshore last season in his rookie OJHL season, advancing to the conference final playing a consistent shift on both the second and third lines .. a fearless competitor who has a good set of hands to complement his game and a growing frame .. judging from his big hands and skates, suggest that he will likely still add to his already-sizeable 6-foot-1, 205-pound frame .. creates scoring chances exploiting soft hands and a good touch with the puck, especially in tight quarters .. constantly follows up his shots and plays .. boasts a hard wrist shot, however lacks elite stickhandling skills .. plays more like a bull in a china shop .. deploying a slightly hunched-over skating style, he possesses good speed both in the straightaway and in diagonal cuts as he generates speed with his crossovers .. effective inside the offensive zone – keeps plays alive – via his intensity and long reach .. plays an honest physical game as he will battle in any area of the ice .. blessed with good size and an expansive frame that will be needed in order to take abuse and not get worn down by his style of play .. racks up points while playing a strong, physical two-way game .. committed to Cornell University.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:51 PM
"Craigs on it"

looking at the standing, does anyone think that their is a realistic chance that we don't end up with a top 10 pick? seeing as every game is inner conference it seems like every team ahead of us will be consistently getting points, and I don't think we will pass hardly any teams from the western conference.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:00 PM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
looking at the standing, does anyone think that their is a realistic chance that we don't end up with a top 10 pick? seeing as every game is inner conference it seems like every team ahead of us will be consistently getting points, and I don't think we will pass hardly any teams from the western conference.
Nope. Even if this team makes a push, there's not enough time left IMO for them to scratch their way that far up the standings. Plus, we're still terrible. We've only got, what? One regulation win since Ruff was fired?

I'm just hoping Edmonton starts winning some games... It'd be frustrating as hell to watch them suck their way to a 4th consecutive top 3 pick and a 5th consecutive top 10 pick while we miss out on a chance to get our first pick in the top 3 since 1987 as a result.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:02 PM
McTank

Armia can really dominate but I don't like how streaky he is

Old
03-08-2013, 10:56 PM
sjci

vCash: 172
Everyone should check out this post:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1298875

Quote:
So i decided to break down the first round of the draft a little more indepthly. I've read a number of studies on the average likelyhood of draft picks succeeding, but i found the studies to either be too broad (using "averaged" probability for entire rounds, or considering 3rd liners/bottom pairing D's "successful") or too narrow (looking only for "elite" talent).

So to get a decent middle grounds I looked at the rate at which each pick in the first round developed into a top 6 or top 4 d man.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:19 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjci View Post
Everyone should check out this post:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1298875
Interesting.

What's your desired approach for this draft? BPA? Fill needs?

I'm making it a point, if I'm the GM, to make this team nastier on the blueline.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:20 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Nichushkin with another playoff goal today for Traktor (they lead Avangard 1-0 at the second intermission) .. it was more of the same, as beginning from inside his own blue line, Nichushkin surged down the left wing, then rounded the Avangard D (Salmela) before taking the puck to the net and beating Ramo with a backhand glove-side.

Here's his goal from game one of the second-round series yesterday:

Old
03-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Interesting.

I'm making it a point, if I'm the GM, to make this team nastier on the blueline.
Ideally I'd like 1 grinding dman on each pairing, grab 3 in the draft and hope to develop 1 into a top 4 guy.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:52 PM
"Craigs on it"

29th in the league, 1st in actual payroll

Old
03-09-2013, 05:16 PM
dma0034

Quote:
29th in the league, 1st in actual payroll
Pay to Tank .... Last place is so close!!!

Old
03-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Interesting.

Who is the guy that played with Seth Jones on the US junior team? Started with a T i think.... was a pretty nasty presence back there.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Who is the guy that played with Seth Jones on the US junior team? Started with a T i think.... was a pretty nasty presence back there.
Jacob Trouba? Winnepeg drafted him last year, 9th overall.

03-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Jacob Trouba? Winnepeg drafted him last year, 9th overall.
Yup...that's the one.

Damn.

I liked him.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Nichushkin with another playoff goal today for Traktor (they lead Avangard 1-0 at the second intermission) .. it was more of the same, as beginning from inside his own blue line, Nichushkin surged down the left wing, then rounded the Avangard D (Salmela) before taking the puck to the net and beating Ramo with a backhand glove-side.
Update: Nichushkin added another goal in the third period, so here are the YT of his two from yesterday's 3-0 win:

Old
03-10-2013, 03:35 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, we shouldn't be that bad.
He's #2 behind MacKinnon based on what I've seen so far.
He's also a center but if he doesn't improve his skating he'll probably end up a winger.

I love him though, he's an intriguing blend of Finnish work ethic and Russian skill.
haven't seen you do an updated top 5 or whatnot, is he still #2 for you? and has he improved his skating enough to be a center in your opinion? I would assume yes but just curious

Old
03-10-2013, 03:59 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
haven't seen you do an updated top 5 or whatnot, is he still #2 for you? and has he improved his skating enough to be a center in your opinion? I would assume yes but just curious
Barkov's skating is still his knock, I worry about his speed as the Sabres are just slow now. I do like Drouin over Barkov but other than that I have been a big proponent of Barkov. He is putting up numbers in the Finnish elite league and is a big guy.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Revelate

The thing with Barkov is that he is very similar to Grigo. Not that big scoring centers being redundant in your system is a bad thing. I just think our prospect pool could use some speed.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:24 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
The thing with Barkov is that he is very similar to Grigo. Not that big scoring centers being redundant in your system is a bad thing. I just think our prospect pool could use some speed.
I think people who see Barkov often will tell you that apart from size they play quite different games. Barkov could be a 2 way center or a power foward winger. If both Grigo and Barkov were to reach their potential it would be very similar to the punch that Carolina has down the middle.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Oan

You guys are way off if you believe Barkov will ever be a winger, or let alone a powerforward He is as natural center as they come, he has played his entire career center, he has never been on wing. And I very much doubt that despite his size he will become your typical "powerforward" , that's just not his style of playing. Sure he isn't shy of contact, but he doesn't go out of his way to seek hits etc.

Also, his skating really isn't that weak, it's just that since it is his only notable "weakness", people overreact to it. Year ago his skating was even weaker, and last summer he improved upon it leaps and bounds, and I'm certain that he will only keep on improving upon it in the coming years.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:18 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
You guys are way off if you believe Barkov will ever be a winger, or let alone a powerforward He is as natural center as they come, he has played his entire career center, he has never been on wing. And I very much doubt that despite his size he will become your typical "powerforward" , that's just not his style of playing. Sure he isn't shy of contact, but he doesn't go out of his way to seek hits etc.

Also, his skating really isn't that weak, it's just that since it is his only notable "weakness", people overreact to it. Year ago his skating was even weaker, and last summer he improved upon it leaps and bounds, and I'm certain that he will only keep on improving upon it in the coming years.
I was saying that because from what ive seen he uses his size well, can be physical(not big hits) and can wear down opponents, maybe not a powerfoward but a physical tough to move down low guy who will use his size.

I always though of him as a center but was more so curious if he has been a winger at all

Old
03-10-2013, 10:35 PM
jfb392

Quote:
I think he's #3 right now, behind MacKinnon and Drouin.
As others have said, I think the skating has improved a bit, just like Monahan.
Skating, unless terribly flawed, is probably one of the most correctable things IMO.

That's why I'm a big fan of players like Buckles and Horvat this year and Shore last year.
It's much easier to teach them how to skate than it is to give them a new set of hands or a heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
They are similar in some ways and we do desperately need speed in the organization, but that wouldn't stop me from selecting Barkov.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I think he's #3 right now, behind MacKinnon and Drouin.
As others have said, I think the skating has improved a bit, just like Monahan.
Skating, unless terribly flawed, is probably one of the most correctable things IMO.

That's why I'm a big fan of players like Buckles and Horvat this year and Shore last year.
It's much easier to teach them how to skate than it is to give them a new set of hands or a heart.

They are similar in some ways and we do desperately need speed in the organization, but that wouldn't stop me from selecting Barkov.
So you think all three of them have jumped over Jones?

Old
03-10-2013, 11:02 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

I am wondering if they will go bpa or try and fill a need. I was pleased with grigorenko last year, just real happy about it. Looking at lw options we have lindholm , nichushkin and drouin. I think lindholm would be a good fit. Lindholm grigorenko armia

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 03-10-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 11:07 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
So you think all three of them have jumped over Jones?
Jones was never there to begin with for me.
During the summer, I had him at #3 behind MacKinnon and Barkov with some hesitation.
Drouin has since delivered on the promise I thought he had and I was basically ready to put him at #2 only a few weeks into the season because of the improvement he showed.

I'd even think about taking Lindholm and Monahan over him, just based on value and the fact that I've never really bought what he's selling.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
I am wondering if they will go bpa or try and fill a need. I was pleased with grigorenko last year, just real happy about it. Looking at lw options we have lindholm , nichushkin and drouin. I think lindholm would be a good fit. Lindholm grigorenko armia
They are too terrible to think about anything other than BPA.

Closed Thread