HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Explain? Not trying to be a dick, just curious why this is always tossed around. Especially after we've all seen how Kadri did in the center spot as comapred to the wing.
His size and the way he plays the game is best suited for the wing IMO. He's playing on the wing alongside horvat I believe. I could be wrong but Im pretty sure he's a LWer atm aside from being center from time to time.

03-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
Got a txt that the Devils are contemplating giving up their 1st this year if they make the playoffs.

Makes you wonder about the depth in this draft...

This draft has a handful of elite talent in the top 7 BUT not the depth i guess...
Outside of the top 7, I don't see any high end offensive talent. This draft is filled with a lot of mediocre guys. Domi maybe, but if you think kadri is small, domi is a midget.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:47 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Outside of the top 7, I don't see any high end offensive talent. This draft is filled with a lot of mediocre guys. Domi maybe, but if you think kadri is small, domi is a midget.
Anthony Mantha...

Old
03-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
I don't buy into the generational talent hype with Jones, but he sure would fill a need for this team being a RH shot. We need a top pairing RH shot just as bad as a centre.
Where did I say Jones was the best defenceman to be drafted when the draft hasn't been even held.

What I did say he was the best defenceman prospect of his generation. Maybe the highest touted one since Pronger. You can disagree with this, but he comes more highly touted than Drew Doughty, that's what best D to come along in a generation means.

Doughty was the highest rated D man in the 08 class by a good margin.

Last edited by Epictetus: 03-09-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: No flaming, please.
Old
03-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Interactif

Seth Jones gearing up for the run to the playoffs, already has 2g 2a pts this month in 2 games in March.

This kid is going to be a stud.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Have wait until after the lottery since any team out of the playoffs can win.

Rielly and Kadri minimum bid.
Rielly and Kadri for the chance to draft Jones? I would have to give that a serious thought. Kind of expensive, Rielly and our first this year, maybe.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:16 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Mantha scored last night, to pull within two goals of a 50 goal draft campaign.

Gauthier scored his 20th of the season, unfortunately, both player's teams lost.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Interactif

Quote:
I think he's got a long ways to go before that can be said. I like the guy, think he's the BPA in the draft (not by a wide margin though) but don't you think its a little early to say that?

You're basically saying he's going to be better than Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, OEL (I honestly think he's going to be one of the best dman we've seen in a long time)?
He comes into a draft as the most highly touted Defenceman since Chris Pronger through my memory, and even before that Rob Ramage, or Dennis Potvin. Going way back. I don't recall Doughty has the same superlatives mentioned about him. I'm saying scouts believe Jones has the makings to be a star in this league for years to come, just how high he wants to go is up to him.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Burakowsky

Old
03-09-2013, 10:57 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
People can't obviously read, not you, but that poster you quoted. Where did I say Jones was the best defenceman to be drafted when the draft hasn't been even held.

What I did say he was the best defenceman prospect of his generation. Maybe the highest touted one since Pronger. So silly, having that poster put words in paoples mouths. You can disagree with this, but he comes more highly touted than Drew Doughty, that's what best D to come along in a generation means.

Doughty was the highest rated D man in the 08 class by a good margin.
And look how Doughty turned out...not even the best dman in his class. Not even the 2nd best.

So maybe reign back the expectations with Jones...

Old
03-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Snip Genos
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
He comes into a draft as the most highly touted Defenceman since Chris Pronger through my memory, and even before that Rob Ramage, or Dennis Potvin. Going way back. I don't recall Doughty has the same superlatives mentioned about him. I'm saying scouts believe Jones has the makings to be a star in this league for years to come, just how high he wants to go is up to him.
Pretty sure Hedman was more highly touted before his draft.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:59 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Rielly and Kadri for the chance to draft Jones? I would have to give that a serious thought. Kind of expensive, Rielly and our first this year, maybe.
Honestly?I would not give up Kadri/Rielly for that.

Rielly and our first I would seriously consider. Especially if Gardiner proves last season wasn't a fluke.

Last edited by theIceWookie: 03-09-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old
03-09-2013, 11:09 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
I can agree a bit but its not like the things they are saying about Jones are so far away from what they've said about dman in past years.

Hedman was supposed to be the next Lidstrom and could have potentially overtaken Tavares (sound familiar with MacKinnon? Jones is BPA now but I'm just making a point). Johnson was supposed to be the next great dman. Doughty, like you mentioned, was raved about. Adam Larsson broke records in the year prior to his draft year and was also getting "next best dman" and talk of being one of the greatest dman drafted.

There is a reason people always have issues with pre-draft talk. Players tend to get overhyped in their draft year and then things fall back down to earth. Jones is impressive. He has a lot to like. But I, and many others, don't think he's leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else. Doesn't mean I think Jones is going to be drafted after 7 players, just means I'm tempering my expectations.

This draft is an odd draft. MacKinnon was arguably the most hyped prospect since Tavares, more than Yakupov/RNH/Hall. He was talked about like McDavid has been now. It's weird to think that he very well could be passed by not only Jones, but Drouin (who has probably had the most impressive draft eligible season since...Kane and Gagner) as well. So just give people a break for sticking so hard to MacKinnon or not wanting to put Jones at "far ahead of everyone else". They aren't crazy for doing so, just have reasons that are completely logical.

Everyone likes certain players. You like Bailey, Jones and Nichushkin. I like Mueller, Barkov and Drouin. That's going to weigh into things just as much as other reasons. It's not like people are calling for...Nurse to be put over Jones. They are just taking exception to your language and use of "generational". Most people have only used that describe a few players, players like Malkin/Crosby/Ovechkin/Stamkos.So its understandable when they take exception to that word being used with Jones.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
I think its time the Leafs find their own Ryan Sproul or Vincent Trocheck. Unbelievable development seen in both of them since they've been drafted. Both take after the first round.

But I would love to draft Jordan Subban. Yes he's on the small side but I'm more than willing to give him a shot. He's got some sweet puck skills and his skating is outstanding.

Plus games against Bruins and the Habs would be extra awesome
I would use our 2nd on him in an instant.

Personally i believe his hands and skating is better than PK's!

It would be a good swing for the fences pick and he is a RD!!! Something we need in our prospect pool!!!

Old
03-09-2013, 11:25 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
I would use our 2nd on him in an instant.

Personally i believe his hands and skating is better than PK's!

It would be a good swing for the fences pick and he is a RD!!! Something we need in our prospect pool!!!
He scored at a better pace in his first OHL season compared to PK's first season (in four more games, but even if you take those away, he would have had more points).

He's also matched his brothers goal total in their second OHL seasons and has 5 games to beat that total. PlusPK had a lot more offense to work with, as compared to Jordan's team.

I'm totally willing to take a chance with him. His only real downside is size and I'm not one to let that stop me from picking a talented player. And yeah RD is hard to find. Can't hurt to swing for the fences with him.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:53 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Valeri Nichuskin has 5 goals and 6 points in 9 KHL playoff games. He does need to learn how to use his teammates better but his goal scoring prowess is off the charts.

At this point I'm prepared to move him into the top elite players with Jones, MacKinnon, Barkov and Drouin. With that said, I'll post my top 25 in the tiers I see at this point.

1) Jones
2) Drouin
3) MacKinnon
4) Barkov
5) Nichushkin

6) Monahan
7) Lindholm

8) Nurse
9) Shinkaruk

10) Pulock
11) Domi
12) Ristolainen
13) Wennberg

14) Morrisey
15) Zadorov
16) Lazar
17) Horvat
18) Erne
19) Gauthier
20) Mantha
21) Mueller
22) Zykov
23) Hagg
24) Petan
25) Hartman

I believe there are 5 players that deserve to be mentioned as elite prospects in this draft. They display unbelievable talent and all have potential to be franchise players in my mind.

The 2nd tier is only 2 players. Potential top liners. Both centers and both all around hard working guys.

3rd tier is again only two players. Shinkaruk I still think has high offensive potential but the rest of his game is lacking. Sort of like a Kessel. Similar underrated playmaking IMO. Nurse is in this tier because of his potential to be an all around punishing top line dman.

4th tier is Domi, Pulock, Ristolainen, Wennberg. I see second line players likely, but there is potential to rise. Domi in particular has some of the best puck skills in this draft. Pulock hasn't shown me enough tbh but I can't deny his offensive potential. He's in danger of slipping out of the top 13 though.

And then the 5th tier is a complete mix of players. So hard to figure out who goes where after about the top 12 or 13 players IMO. Anyone in that 5th tier could go as high as 14 or as low as 35. Not really a strike against those players but rather an indication of the depth between 14 and about 40 (to me anyways).

Last edited by theIceWookie: 03-09-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old
03-09-2013, 03:59 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Valeri Nichuskin has 5 goals and 6 points in 9 KHL playoff games. He does need to learn how to use his teammates better but his goal scoring prowess is off the charts.

At this point I'm prepared to move him into the top elite players with Jones, MacKinnon, Barkov and Drouin. With that said, I'll post my top 25 in the tiers I see at this point.

Jones
Drouin
MacKinnon
Barkov
Nichushkin

Monahan
Lindholm

Nurse
Shinkaruk

Pulock
Domi
Ristolainen
Wennberg

Morrisey
Zadorov
Lazar
Horvat
Erne
Gauthier
Mantha
Mueller
Zykov
Hagg
Petan
Hartman

I believe there are 5 players that deserve to be mentioned as elite prospects in this draft. They display unbelievable talent and all have potential to be franchise players in my mind.

The 2nd tier is only 2 players. Potential top liners. Both centers and both all around hard working guys.

3rd tier is again only two players. Shinkaruk I still think has high offensive potential but the rest of his game is lacking. Sort of like a Kessel. Similar underrated playmaking IMO. Nurse is in this tier because of his potential to be an all around punishing top line dman.

4th tier is Domi, Pulock, Ristolainen, Wennberg. I see second line players likely, but there is potential to rise. Domi in particular has some of the best puck skills in this draft. Pulock hasn't shown me enough tbh but I can't deny his offensive potential.

And then the 5th tier is a complete mix of players. So hard to figure out who goes where after about the top 12 or 13 players IMO. Anyone in that 5th tier could go as high as 14 or as low as 35. Not really a strike against those players but rather an indication of the depth between 14 and about 40 (to me anyways).
I agree with everything here, outside of a few spots, but the bames are spot on.

Only big divergence is that I have Nurse and Ristolainen in that second group. Solid list.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Duffman955

Mantha has some real good stats, and he is big too. I am surprised he isn't ranked higher.

For where the leafs are picking, I would love to have him.

Also can someone tell me more about Lazar?

Old
03-09-2013, 04:17 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I agree with everything here, outside of a few spots, but the bames are spot on.

Only big divergence is that I have Nurse and Ristolainen in that second group. Solid list.
Yeah I toyed with the idea (and Ristolainen with Nurse and Shinkaruk tbh) but ultimately I liked what Lindholm and Monahan have shown already, where as Ristolainen and Nurse would be there for potential, if that makes sense. So I decided to hold off on it.

Also, sort of related, but Barkov has his 49th point. One more game to break potentially break 50 points (Which would be insane if he does). What's pretty nuts is while he's missed games this year, he'll only end up missing only 6 games total because of the WJC's and other tourney's. In place of those 6 games, he's played 14 more games. He had a heavy load this year. Especially considering how much his team counted on him.

Last edited by theIceWookie: 03-09-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old
03-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

I don't have to come here and post because Ernie said it. lol.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:

I think you guys really mis-use the concept of tiers. For players to be in the same tier it means they are virtually interchangeable in terms of where they will be selected. You honestly think this is a possible/logical draft scenario?

1. Nichushkin
2. Barkov
3. Drouin
4. MacKinnon
5. Jones

You're being too generous with Nichushkin and Barkov. They belong in a separate tier below the other 3.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:06 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
I think you guys really mis-use the concept of tiers. For players to be in the same tier it means they are virtually interchangeable in terms of where they will be selected. You honestly think this is a possible/logical draft scenario?

1. Nichushkin
2. Barkov
3. Drouin
4. MacKinnon
5. Jones

You're being too generous with Nichushkin and Barkov. They belong in a separate tier below the other 3.
It's a matter of opinion, when dealing with elite players. Lots of scouts believe Barkov and Nichushkin to be among that group, so we're not off our collective nut. It also depends on how GM's value players. We don't know if someone at the top will value Drouin/Barkov/Jones/MacK higher than any particular player.

Barkov DEFINITELY belongs there, and Nichushkin has certainly made his case. But that's in the opinion of some, not all. From what I've watched of Barkov, it's like saying Thornton doesn't belong in the elite catagory, as his game almost mirrors Jumbo Joe's, just at a younger, less developed stage.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:56 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Hoping Columbus lands Seth Jones. Build a team around Jones and Murray in your top 4.

And Edmonton picking up a Drouin/Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan..Ugh.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:30 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Hoping Columbus lands Seth Jones. Build a team around Jones and Murray in your top 4.

And Edmonton picking up a Drouin/Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan..Ugh.
Jones, Murray, Johnson and Tyutin.

Looks very very good.

With the other two 1st picks they can get forward help. Either through pick or trade.

EDM just makes me wanna puke. But the way they are going it might be them that gets Jones at the draft.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkorswim View Post
Pretty sure Hedman was more highly touted before his draft.
He was highly touted but Tavares was always number 1. Jones knocked off Mackinnon, really there is no defensive prospect that I can remember that has been more highly touted since. Not Doughty either, he was never going to pass Stamkos in 08.

Closed Thread