HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #8

View Poll Results: Should we use an amnesty buyout on Bryz?
Hell Yes! 65 72.22%
Hell No! 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 06:56 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 500
MFL is back, good ****ing lord. Thanks Bryz, hope BP74 defends him too. So ****ed.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:59 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Two things I noticed people always say about Bryz is:
1. He plays better when he plays a lot.
2. He's the type of goalie who does better when he's active and facing a good amount of shots.

Now it's he's too tired and the defense needs to be better even though they give up 27 shots on average a game. So my question is what excuse is it?
Excuses help the supporters keep faith that it isn't the fault of a guy they like; to shield themselves from the obvious and lie to themselves. It isn't just Bryz, the entire team is bad with exception of Voracek and Grossmann.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Excuses help the supporters keep faith that it isn't the fault of a guy they like; to shield themselves from the obvious and lie to themselves. It isn't just Bryz, the entire team is bad with exception of Voracek and Grossmann.
I know but not a lot guys are carrying a cap hit of $5.6M and playing like ****. Him and Briere are simply not living up to their cap hits right now.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I know but not a lot guys are carrying a cap hit of $5.6M and playing like ****. Him and Briere are simply not living up to their cap hits right now.
Ovie certainly wasn't for the most time this year too.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

Our goalies make me LOL. Give me MOAR!

Old
03-09-2013, 07:08 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Hey, Allen gave up 3 goals, but the only difference is that he had goal support. He's no better than Bryz right? Especially considering St. Louis is a way better team.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:13 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Yea, with the salaries those two get, I expect more positive production out of them than what has been given so far. Briere and Bryz both need to go IMO. I rather throw Boosh and Shelly in games for $2M than use up $12M on players not producing.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:14 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Ovie certainly wasn't for the most time this year too.
Ovie doesn't play for the Flyers.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:17 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Hey, Allen gave up 3 goals, but the only difference is that he had goal support. He's no better than Bryz right? Especially considering St. Louis is a way better team.
Are you really comparing Jake Allen, a rookie goaltender to Bryz a supposed "elite" goalie and veteran player? Allen also doesn't have a $5.67M cap hit against the cap for his team.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
He actually stopped a breakaway. I can't remember the last time Bryz did that.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Are you really comparing Jake Allen, a rookie goaltender to Bryz a supposed "elite" goalie and veteran player? Allen also doesn't have a $5.67M cap hit against the cap for his team.
I'm pointing the fact that even if we had Allen, I'm sure it might of been worse than just a 3-0 loss. It's kind of ****ing insane how you guys are constantly harping on the cap for this coming off-season. Making it sound like we have nothing with Bryz here. Hell, with Briere gone and Pronger on LTIR, we have 17M in cap space WITH Bryz on the team. Even if we got Perry for 9M, we still have 8M left. 8M left to find 3 forwards, another d-man or two and a back up.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
He actually stopped a breakaway. I can't remember the last time Bryz did that.
He stopped one in the Ottawa game then gave up a soft goal to an unscreened slapshot about 20 seconds later.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:32 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
I'm pointing the fact that even if we had Allen, I'm sure it might of been worse than just a 3-0 loss. It's kind of ****ing insane how you guys are constantly harping on the cap for this coming off-season. Making it sound like we have nothing with Bryz here. Hell, with Briere gone and Pronger on LTIR, we have 17M in cap space WITH Bryz on the team. Even if we got Perry for 9M, we still have 8M left. 8M left to find 3 forwards, another d-man or two and a back up.
Of course, it might have been worse than 3-0. The guy is a rookie, getting his feet wet playing goal in the NHL. The Blues have not exactly been good this season either though.

Allen is not paid to play like a #1 goalie. Bryz on the other hand is paid to play like a #1 goalie. He is not, hence there is a problem.

LTIR doesn't exist in the off-season, sorry. If you think we can find 6 good players players with $8M then good luck with that. I don't want Perry at $9M or even $8M. I rather not sign him at all cause his contract will be large. The cap is going down next year. It won't increase until the following season.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:37 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Of course, it might have been worse than 3-0. The guy is a rookie, getting his feet wet playing goal in the NHL. The Blues have not exactly been good this season either though.

Allen is not paid to play like a #1 goalie. Bryz on the other hand is paid to play like a #1 goalie. He is not, hence there is a problem.

LTIR doesn't exist in the off-season, sorry. If you think we can find 6 good players players with $8M then good luck with that. I don't want Perry at $9M or even $8M. I rather not sign him at all cause his contract will be large. The cap is going down next year. It won't increase until the following season.
Ok, then with Perry away from the 9M and away from the Flyers, and Pronger still with his full cap hit on the team, and with 12 forwards signed (no Briere), 8 defensemen (technically with the idea of getting Rundblad for Briere or some deal there, and yes this is including Pronger) and 2 goalies (Bryz and Montoya as the back up). It comes out to around 6M in cap space. I'll supply the roster if you want me to post it.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:49 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Ok, then with Perry away from the 9M and away from the Flyers, and Pronger still with his full cap hit on the team, and with 12 forwards signed (no Briere), 8 defensemen (technically with the idea of getting Rundblad for Briere or some deal there, and yes this is including Pronger) and 2 goalies (Bryz and Montoya as the back up). It comes out to around 6M in cap space. I'll supply the roster if you want me to post it.
No need. I can see it on capgeek. I would like the Flyers to trade some of the veterans to get more picks and just stock up on good young players. Let the team grow for a bit and take the lumps. I don't even think Briere would waive to go to the West coast, let alone get us Rundblad. It would probably take Briere + our 1st at least. With how the season is shaping up to be I would rather keep our 1st unless we can trade it for an OEL which would never happen. I think we should draft at least 3 d-men in this draft with good mobility/puck moving skills.

As for Bryz, I would still like to amnesty him because his contract is just too long for too high a cap hit. I wouldn't do it this summer, but next summer. Rather not have a 36 year old Bryz with a $5.67M hit being the backup.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
No need. I can see it on capgeek. I would like the Flyers to trade some of the veterans to get more picks and just stock up on good young players. Let the team grow for a bit and take the lumps. I don't even think Briere would waive to go to the West coast, let alone get us Rundblad. It would probably take Briere + our 1st at least. With how the season is shaping up to be I would rather keep our 1st unless we can trade it for an OEL which would never happen. I think we should draft at least 3 d-men in this draft with good mobility/puck moving skills.

As for Bryz, I would still like to amnesty him because his contract is just too long for too high a cap hit. I wouldn't do it this summer, but next summer. Rather not have a 36 year old Bryz with a $5.67M hit being the backup.
Amnesty him and bring in who? Allen is going no where. Bishop will take more than a 2nd. Bernier will probably go somewhere else (NJ perhaps). Lehner is going no where. So who do you work in? Boosh and Leighton I suppose?

If you ever amnesty Bryz, you do it next off-season.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:00 PM
FlyingPhilly

That is what I said, didn't I?

If we do get a goalie this summer, then I would do it this summer.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
That is what I said, didn't I?

If we do get a goalie this summer, then I would do it this summer.
You never said next off-season (next year). I'm saying that would be the only time to do it. People saying for him to be gone now is absolutely insane and we have no way of dealing with it if we did.

So we have to hold off until then. We need people to stop freaking the **** out so much.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:05 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:

Pretty sure I did.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:06 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Sorry, didn't see that. But until then, we have to live with him. End of story.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:13 PM
FlyingPhilly

Yes, unfortunately we would unless we get one this summer. If we do then Bryz should be gone. Still, this doesn't change the fact is he isn't performing to what everyone thought we were getting when we signed up regardless of everything else. That should also be end of story.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:18 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Even if things get worse, you have to think that a goalie cannot implode that much. Either way, I think it would be very bad if we decided to amnesty him (if we ever do) in general this off-season because of the absolutely bad select of goalies we could try to go for (by not trading).

Old
03-09-2013, 08:19 PM
MsWoof

Why on earth has Leighton been recalled?

Old
03-09-2013, 08:20 PM
SolidSnakeUS

For the purpose of tanking or that they feel that Leighton has done well down there that it would translate up here better than Boosh?

Old
03-09-2013, 08:21 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Yes that's right.

Closed Thread