HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Selection: Ideal Candidates

View Poll Results: Who would you pick?
Josh Morrissey 12 8.28%
Frederik Gauthier 36 24.83%
Alexander Wennberg 1 0.69%
Anthony Mantha 14 9.66%
Adam Erne 4 2.76%
Curtis Lazar 50 34.48%
Kerby Rychel 3 2.07%
Max Domi 7 4.83%
Robert Hagg 3 2.07%
Jason Dickinson 0 0%
Other 15 10.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 03:24 PM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
I love Nurse but not top 5.

Want to somehow come out of this draft with both Monahan and Nurse. Have no idea how but just hoping somehow we can do it

Old
03-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Yes, better by far to have a team of gritty, hard working nobodies. Ninth place forever!
The rest of the league probably considers our flashy, young, offense-inclined (wait... are they?) players to be a bunch of inconsequential nobodies.

In any which case a group of gritty "nobodies" seems to be the key to success in the Western Conference and I can't see that changing too much in our new division. Outside of Chicago all of the Western Conference clubs are built that way.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The rest of the league probably considers our flashy, young, offense-inclined (wait... are they?) players to be a bunch of inconsequential nobodies.
Good. Let them underestimate them based off a ridiculously small sample.

Quote:
That seems to be the key to success in the Western Conference and I can't see it changing too much in our new division. Outside of Chicago all of the Western Conference clubs are built that way
The point is it's a lot easier to fill out the bottom of the roster than it is to get high end talent.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Four years isn't a small sample. The Oilers have done nothing to show opposition teams and fans that they're improving. They're earned their garbage reputation and then some.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
The point is it's a lot easier to fill out the bottom of the roster than it is to get high end talent.
You would think so but Tambellini is making it look like rocket science.

And we still need an established veteran (NOT Ales Hemsky) for our top six. The Oilers' offensive attack is one-dimensional and ridiculously easy to stop.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Four years isn't a small sample. The Oilers have done nothing to show opposition teams and fans that they're improving. They're earned their garbage reputation and then some.
Who cares? We're in year four of the rebuild. It's pretty clear to me that, if there was a plan, it was to let things ride on the kids. It's not working so far. Stuff happens. What are you gonna do?

Quote:
You would think so but Tambellini is making it look like rocket science.

And we still need an established veteran (NOT Ales Hemsky) for our top six. The Oilers' offensive attack is one-dimensional and ridiculously easy to stop.
If you really think an "established veteran" is the panacea for a top 6 that has an average age of about 20, fill yer boots.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
If you really think an "established veteran" is the panacea for a top 6 that has an average age of about 20, fill yer boots.
It's all right. I'm sure that MacKinnon will round out all of that elite talent.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
It's all right. I'm sure that MacKinnon will round out all of that elite talent.
Nah better trade Hall for Brad Marchand and Shawn Thornton. Truculence!

Old
03-08-2013, 04:02 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Looks like the poll needs a few players added to it.....

Old
03-08-2013, 04:03 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
I love Nurse but not top 5.

Want to somehow come out of this draft with both Monahan and Nurse. Have no idea how but just hoping somehow we can do it
Nurse is a top 10 pick for certain and I don't know who the Oilers would move to get another top 10 pick. I don't think they are in the mode to acquire another 1st rounder anyway. They didn't do a deal to trade up that high in the last 3 drafts where they were clearly in full on rebuild-through-the-draft mode so I highly doubt they put much effort into getting another top 10 pick this year either.

It's very difficult to do anyway unless a very good piece is going the other way and the Oilers need to keep solid talent not trade it away for more prospects.

I fully expect them to use their own 1st and move on.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:08 PM
dnicks17

Good chance to see Domi, Zadorov and Horvat on Sportsnet right now.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
The difference between those two teams and ours (aside from them getting Crosby/Toews type players, which we haven't gotten), is that they spent years rebuilding prior to getting those first overall picks. Up until we absolutely bottomed out, we weren't rebuilding, we were re-tooling like Calgary has been. Giving away picks and not giving prospects any attention, etc. Pittsburgh and Chicago were rebuilding for a long time prior to bottoming out, they built their team with strong role players and depth before going after the stars. You need to remember that we have really only rebuilding for 3 years. No team tears the guts out of the team and can completely rebuild in only 3 years, and if you think Pittsburgh and Chicago did that, you need to revisit history.
No they weren't. Pittsburgh bottomed out around 2003-2004, basically because they were bankrupt. They received Fleury ('03) and Malkin ('04) as their booby prize. Of course they lucked out winning the lottery to get Crosby, and then got Staal after their disatrous 2005-06 year. The lineup included Lemieux, Palffy, Recchi, and Leclair that year, free agent signings clearly indicating the team intended on competing.

So if the Penguins 2002-03 bottom out season was the equivalent of our 2009-10 bottom out, the same timeline has our current year as the equivalent of their 2006-07 year, in which they made the playoffs. Pittsburgh was not rebuilding for the future prior to 2003, unless you consider the inconsequential garbage they received for the Jagr, Kovalev, and Straka salary dumps as a part of the rebuild effort. I don't recall seeing Rico Fata and Kris Beech playing for the Stanley Cup.

Chicago bottomed out in 2006, when it became clear that the Rene Bourque, Tyler Arnason, Mark Bell, etc. group of prospects (see Robert Nilsson, Sam Gagner, Andrew Cogliano) were not going to be the stars people had initially hoped for. They had some good prospects already in the system or playing on the roster as rookies, but only Brent Seabrook was a 1st round pick. Duncan Keith and David Bolland were both 2nd rounders, not exactly the product of a rebuilding mindset. Toews, Kane, Sharp, Versteeg, Hossa, Campbell, and Ladd were all acquired post-2006 bottom out.

Chicago got insanely lucky with so many non-1st round picks panning out. (Obviously player development and scouting deserve credit, but there comes a point where plain old good fortune is also involved). Keith was a late 2nd rounder, Byfuglien 8th round, Troy Brouwer 7th round, Hjalmarsson 4th round, Sharp stolen from Philly for nothing, Versteeg stolen from Boston for nothing.

It's a myth that Chicago was built on lottery picks. I can grant you that some of these guys were in the system prior to the bottom out, but so was Jordan Eberle. So were Paajarvi, Lander, and Hartikainen. The situations are very similar, yet Chicago was in the 3rd round of the playoffs in their equivalent season to our current one. Unfortunately we don't have management bright enough to go acquire a Sharp, Versteeg, and Ladd from other teams' scrap heaps.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:47 PM
rockinghockey

If we come out of this draft with Barkov I will be very happy. Need some size in the top 6. Sign Horton and we are set with our top 6.
Hall; RNH; Eberle
Horton; Barkov; Yak

Old
03-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Rains

So how does the draft work again??

So it's quite obvious we are going to be 30th again. Now that the new "oiler" rule is in affect, what are the chances of first overall? How does it work.

SO PROUD TO BE AN OILER FAN

Old
03-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If we come out of this draft with Barkov I will be very happy. Need some size in the top 6. Sign Horton and we are set with our top 6.
Hall; RNH; Eberle
Horton; Barkov; Yak
I'm sure Horton is just dying to come to Edmonton. And another 18 year old thrown into the top 6? This couldn't possibly fail!

Sarcasm aside, I do agree with your premise of adding size. I think pretty much everyone but Tambo and Lowe have seen this as a priority for two years in fact.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:33 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I'm sure Horton is just dying to come to Edmonton. And another 18 year old thrown into the top 6? This couldn't possibly fail!

Sarcasm aside, I do agree with your premise of adding size. I think pretty much everyone but Tambo and Lowe have seen this as a priority for two years in fact.
This. Please, no more 18 year old rookies in our top 6 anymore.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Cerebral

Finding a way to snag Jones would be a coup but I don't see us finishing below Columbus. If we somehow ended up with the 2nd overall pick, I think we'd have to grab Drouin simply because his talent is so undeniable.

We will probably more realistically be picking around 5th to 8th overall. In that range, either of Monahan or Barkov would be a good value pick and would fill a need long-term.

The big issue the Oilers will have is that there aren't really any marquee defencemen available via free agency this off-season. Unless we go crazy old with Streit or Visnovsky, the guys potentially available are names like Ian White or Douglas Murray. We're not going to solve our defensive issues via free agency so I wouldn't be shocked at all if this pick ends up packaged with something else for a top pairing defenceman.

The UFA who really fits a need is Perry. Perhaps the Oilers make a huge play on him and then move the pick in addition to a winger (Hemsky or, if we're thinking bigger, Yakupov) in return for the defenceman we need.

03-09-2013, 06:20 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Finding a way to snag Jones would be a coup but I don't see us finishing below Columbus. If we somehow ended up with the 2nd overall pick, I think we'd have to grab Drouin simply because his talent is so undeniable.

We will probably more realistically be picking around 5th to 8th overall. In that range, either of Monahan or Barkov would be a good value pick and would fill a need long-term.

The big issue the Oilers will have is that there aren't really any marquee defencemen available via free agency this off-season. Unless we go crazy old with Streit or Visnovsky, the guys potentially available are names like Ian White or Douglas Murray. We're not going to solve our defensive issues via free agency so I wouldn't be shocked at all if this pick ends up packaged with something else for a top pairing defenceman.

The UFA who really fits a need is Perry. Perhaps the Oilers make a huge play on him and then move the pick in addition to a winger (Hemsky or, if we're thinking bigger, Yakupov) in return for the defenceman we need.
You don't see the Oilers finishing below Columbus? One look at the standings would probably convince most that it's very possible.

Over in the East it's only Buffalo and Florida below them right now... barely. Florida is really the only clear competition right now for last place... and they are just 1 pt behind and have 8 pts in their last 10 compared to the Oil with 6 in the last 10 so the trend is there for the Panthers to slowly pass the Oil.

I doubt the Oilers would pick Drouin at #2. They might trade down to grab MacKinnon/Barkov/Monahan IF they kept the pick... which they should.

If they **** the bed in a short 48 game season like this and have a top 2 pick.. stupid to throw that away when you could have a Jones/Barkov/MacKinnon/Monahan type prospect.

Sure they need roster players NOW... but you don't throw away solid prospects just to fix a hole that may not even be fixed by the player brought in.

People think the players brought in would instantly fix the problems on the team? Have any of the other acquired "veteran" players done a whole lot of good for the Oilers?

I'd argue that even though they may be regressing... those top prospects... RNH, Eberle, Hall and yes even Yakupov are the best pieces on this team. Adding a Jones or a Barkov/MacKinnon doesn't make the team instantly better but it does in the long run.

Management has to add pieces OUTSIDE of throwing away a top 3 pick in this draft. Let the scouts do their job and draft a top prospect and make Lowe and the "management" team do their job by acquiring UFA players or trades within the roster.

Trading a top 2/3 pick is a cop out move and throws away a valuable piece.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:43 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
I think this is the year you need to sacrifice your first to get a good NHL player.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:49 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I'm sure Horton is just dying to come to Edmonton
That's the problem. People whine about Tambo not signing all the top free agents, and yet the consenus is that they don't want to come here regardless. That said, imo, you make Horton want to come here. He's a guy you can overpay a bit for. We need the grit

Old
03-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
I think this is the year you need to sacrifice your first to get a good NHL player.
I'm not sure that's a good idea. I'd rather keep the pick and the the young guy and try fill our needs other ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
That's the problem. People whine about Tambo not signing all the top free agents, and yet the consenus is that they don't want to come here regardless. That said, imo, you make Horton want to come here. He's a guy you can overpay a bit for. We need the grit
I don't think we need top free agents. Mid-level ones are not impossible to obtain. It's just we won't.

This team doesn't need the Brad Richards type signings, we need the Ian White type signings. The PA Parenteau type signings. Guys who aren't flashy but play a certain way to compliment your young guys.

03-09-2013, 07:07 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I'm not sure that's a good idea. I'd rather keep the pick and the the young guy and try fill our needs other ways.
You need to give something up to get something back.

If it's the right player, then he's the BPA at the draft.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:15 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

I don't think we need top free agents. Mid-level ones are not impossible to obtain. It's just we won't.

This team doesn't need the Brad Richards type signings, we need the Ian White type signings. The PA Parenteau type signings. Guys who aren't flashy but play a certain way to compliment your young guys.
Except White and Parenteau don't really help the team. Aside from maybe Jagr, what free agents last year make this team better? (and no, guys like Parise, Suter, and Garrison don't count). This year, there's a lot guys to take a run at. We'll see if the Tambo hate is justified soon enough.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:16 PM
rockinghockey

If Barkov was playing in the CHL I wonder how many points he would have this year.The kid is huge and that is what we need. A big centreman .

Old
03-09-2013, 07:18 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If Barkov was playing in the CHL I wonder how many points he would have this year.The kid is huge and that is what we need. A big centreman .
yeah if we finish around 25th-27th overall, i'm hoping barkov is still available to pick... if not barkov, then monahan

what i REALLY hope we do is trade our pick for actual NHLers, but i'm not sure that is what we'll do... if we use the pick, and are outside the "big 3" of jones, mackinnon and drouin, then i hope we take one of the big centers (barkov or monahan)

Closed Thread