HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Selection: Ideal Candidates

View Poll Results: Who would you pick?
Josh Morrissey 12 8.28%
Frederik Gauthier 36 24.83%
Alexander Wennberg 1 0.69%
Anthony Mantha 14 9.66%
Adam Erne 4 2.76%
Curtis Lazar 50 34.48%
Kerby Rychel 3 2.07%
Max Domi 7 4.83%
Robert Hagg 3 2.07%
Jason Dickinson 0 0%
Other 15 10.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

Trading a top 2/3 pick is a cop out move and throws away a valuable piece.
I obviously wouldn't be in favour of trading the pick for a veteran defenceman who only has a few years left in his career. I'm talking about packaging the pick for a young defenceman who is just heading into his prime (think Ekman-Larsson or Weber level).

One team who I could see being interested is Columbus. If they're picking #1 overall, I could see them being very open to potentially trading down a few spots to snag an elite forward. Jones is an unreal prospect but Columbus is loaded with young defencemen and I have a feeling they'll be targeting forwards this year. If we ended up picking 2nd or 3rd, I could very easily see us trade up to one to select Jones.

On the other hand, I could also see Columbus being willing to move one of their young defenceman in a deal for our pick. Let's say we end up picking 5th overall in the draft and Columbus calls with this offer:

to Edm: Ryan Murray
to Clb: 5th overall pick

Do you make that deal? I probably do even though Murray is out for the season. I could also see Columbus potentially making Jack Johnson available in a deal for a high pick.

Edmonton will have a lot of flexibility if they end up with a high pick and I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that moving the pick could end up being the best option.

03-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Except White and Parenteau don't really help the team. Aside from maybe Jagr, what free agents last year make this team better? (and no, guys like Parise, Suter, and Garrison don't count). This year, there's a lot guys to take a run at. We'll see if the Tambo hate is justified soon enough.
A top-4 D-man and a winger who can go into dirty areas don't make the team better?

White would add another puck mover and a guy who has and can play top-4 minutes. PAP might not be a sexy name, but he's a guy who can do the little things and be an effective complimentary winger.

But just to humor you, from last year:

Matt Carle
Bryan Allen
Brandon Prust
Michal Rozsival

Off the top of my head. Guys who could've improved this team.

Also, if after finishing 30th, 30th, 29th and then the following year sitting 15th in the west halfway through a season doesn't justify any Tambo 'hate'(which is ridiculous to suggest), then I don't know what does. You must have given him an incredibly long lifeline.

03-09-2013, 07:30 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Except White and Parenteau don't really help the team. Aside from maybe Jagr, what free agents last year make this team better? (and no, guys like Parise, Suter, and Garrison don't count). This year, there's a lot guys to take a run at. We'll see if the Tambo hate is justified soon enough.
finishing 30th, 30th, 29th and likely 25th-30th overall again this year already justifies the Tambo hate. He really hasn't done much besides draft first overall and get lucky with the Schultz signing.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Also, if we're in a position where Seth Jones is off the board, and it's between MacKinnon and Drouin, would you consider MacKinnon for the spot?

While Drouin is some ridiculous talent, adding MacKinnon to the core could give us some really quality depth down the middle:

RNH-Gagner-MacKinnon. And with C's being valued the way they are in the NHL (think RHD who can move the puck), if you can't fill out the rest of the roster, I'm sure one of those 3 talented C's could get you a nice haul.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Also, if we're in a position where Seth Jones is off the board, and it's between MacKinnon and Drouin, would you consider MacKinnon for the spot?

While Drouin is some ridiculous talent, adding MacKinnon to the core could give us some really quality depth down the middle:

RNH-Gagner-MacKinnon. And with C's being valued the way they are in the NHL (think RHD who can move the puck), if you can't fill out the rest of the roster, I'm sure one of those 3 talented C's could get you a nice haul.
MacKinnon definitely. Or Barkov. It's about time we started looking a bit more at our needs.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:36 PM
dnicks17

I'm sorry, but yuck.

Murray probably wouldn't even be in the conversation as a top 10 pick in this draft.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

1. seth jones
2. Barkov
3. Monahan

Not the concensus top 3, but I think these are the most useful players to the oilers for their needs because Mckinnon is small, and Drouin and Nichuskin are wingers.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:40 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
A top-4 D-man and a winger who can go into dirty areas don't make the team better?

White would add another puck mover and a guy who has and can play top-4 minutes. PAP might not be a sexy name, but he's a guy who can do the little things and be an effective complimentary winger.

But just to humor you, from last year:

Matt Carle
Bryan Allen
Brandon Prust
Michal Rozsival

Off the top of my head. Guys who could've improved this team.

Also, if after finishing 30th, 30th, 29th and then the following year sitting 15th in the west halfway through a season doesn't justify any Tambo 'hate'(which is ridiculous to suggest), then I don't know what does. You must have given him an incredibly long lifeline.
How are 3 dmen, and one 4th liner are going to add to our biggest need, grit in the top 6? And compare that list to this years UFAs

Perry
Ribeiro
Morrow
Horton
Clowe
Penner
Clarkson
Latendresse
Higgins
Bozak
Lapierre
Stalberg
Bickell
(and there's a lot more guys that aren't as chippy)

Visnovsky
Gonchar
Streit
Regehr
Zidlicky
Scuderi
Leopold
White
Murray
Ference
Rozsival
Redden

Backstrom
Nabokov
Howard
Nutjob
Smith

obviously there's going to be lots of them that resign with their team, but with the cap going down, this is the year to make a big splash. If we somehow strike out, then I'll be on board the fire Tambo train

Old
03-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Cerebral

Quote:

If we ended up picking 2nd and Jones was off the board, I think you have to take Drouin regardless of position. I like MacKinnon but Drouin seems to just be on another level this season. Drouin is outscoring MacKinnon by almost 30 points right now.

Drouin doesn't fit a need at all but his talent is undeniable. In the event that they selected Drouin, the Oilers would likely be looking to move Yakupov or another forward for a defenceman. Draft Drouin, trade Yakupov for Myers and Girgensons/Grigorenko/Stafford (swing for the fences on a reclamation project), trade Hemsky, and then sign Clowe and Ian White and I'd be happy. I know, I ask a lot.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I'm sorry, but yuck.

Murray probably wouldn't even be in the conversation as a top 10 pick in this draft.
I don't know about that - Murray is pretty underrated. The 2012 draft was certain a bit weaker but there is a reason why he was a fairly unanimous selection at #2 overall.

Murray is certainly behind MacKinnon, Drouin, and Jones but I see no reason why he wouldn't be right in the mix with guys like Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, and Nichuskin.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:47 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I don't know about that - Murray is pretty underrated. The 2012 draft was certain a bit weaker but there is a reason why he was a fairly unanimous selection at #2 overall.

Murray is certainly behind MacKinnon, Drouin, and Jones but I see no reason why he wouldn't be right in the mix with guys like Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, and Nichuskin.
When a guy like Nurse is barely being talked about as a top10 pick, I'd say it's safe to assume Murray wouldn't either.

Pulock is barely even being talked about as a top15 pick.

The top-end of the this draft is miles ahead of last year's.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:54 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
1. seth jones
2. Barkov
3. Monahan

Not the concensus top 3, but I think these are the most useful players to the oilers for their needs because Mckinnon is small, and Drouin and Nichuskin are wingers.
It'll be tough to pass up Drouin. He's not a fit, but he's so ridiculously talented that imo, you take him and trade whoever ends up worse out of him and Ebs in order to get a top pairing dman, or top 6 powerforward. Drouin has almost a 30 point lead over Mackinnon at this point

Old
03-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
It'll be tough to pass up Drouin. He's not a fit, but he's so ridiculously talented that imo, you take him and trade whoever ends up worse out of him and Ebs in order to get a top pairing dman, or top 6 powerforward. Drouin has almost a 30 point lead over Mackinnon at this point
If we ended up with 2nd overall it's either Jones or Drouin IMO. Either of them are just too hard to pass up. Imagine a top 6 with Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle on the 1st line and Drouin, Gagner and Yakupov on the 2nd. My god that would be dirty. Barkov is something we do need though.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:16 PM
rockinghockey

They are both the same height and weight. I t would give us the smallest top 6 in the league though
Hall; RNH; Eberle
Drouin; Gagner; Yak
A lot of skill but will get thrown around a lot. In a few years when they have all put on 20lbs it would look good.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:24 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
If we ended up with 2nd overall it's either Jones or Drouin IMO. Either of them are just too hard to pass up. Imagine a top 6 with Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle on the 1st line and Drouin, Gagner and Yakupov on the 2nd. My god that would be dirty. Barkov is something we do need though.
Do you take Drouin as he has elite skill and trade Eberle for that top 2 dman. No matter what we can't go next year with RNH and Gagner. Gagner has to be moved. I think he would look good in FLD as they have Huberdeau, he is a bigger kid and they could use skill in their 2C.
What would they give up for Gagner?

Old
03-09-2013, 08:28 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Do you take Drouin as he has elite skill and trade Eberle for that top 2 dman. No matter what we can't go next year with RNH and Gagner. Gagner has to be moved. I think he would look good in FLD as they have Huberdeau, he is a bigger kid and they could use skill in their 2C.
What would they give up for Gagner?
He's smaller than Nuge...

Old
03-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Qubax

Quote:
He's smaller than Nuge...
True, but he's bigger then Gagner

Old
03-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Paralyzer008

Okay, so even though it's been a week, I now expect EDM to finish anywhere from 2nd-5th overall.

My targets then are:
Nathan MacKinnon
Alex Barkov
Elias Lindholm
Sean Monahan

in that order. Drouin is good but not needed on this team, Seth Jones probably goes first and I think Florida will grab him with 1st overall.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:34 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Typing stuff to get the thread to 1000 and see a more appropriate poll.

Closed Thread