Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 07:51 PM
ottergolfer

vCash: 500
i would put lattavo on that list ,when he gets over the new to league jitters he will be a player.

if I had the money I would take them in a heart beat its not the location of the team it is managment. if the Otters were as good as the knights the E I A would be sold out every night.

Mc David knew full well what he was getting . if his linemates finished on 1/2 his set ups he would have 100 points.
I am from Erie and while I am dissapointed in the Otters play, they are MY team and I fully support them. ( but that does not stop me from chriping them..but dont U try it )

Old
03-09-2013, 09:16 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergolfer View Post
i would put lattavo on that list ,when he gets over the new to league jitters he will be a player.

if I had the money I would take them in a heart beat its not the location of the team it is managment. if the Otters were as good as the knights the E I A would be sold out every night.

Mc David knew full well what he was getting . if his linemates finished on 1/2 his set ups he would have 100 points.
I am from Erie and while I am dissapointed in the Otters play, they are MY team and I fully support them. ( but that does not stop me from chriping them..but dont U try it )
If Dansk doesn't return... Would Erie fans be interested in a Guigovaz for Harper swap? In the summer.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:44 AM
SDRFAOBFH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
If Dansk doesn't return... Would Erie fans be interested in a Guigovaz for Harper swap? In the summer.
No thanks, Peterborough can keep their projects we have enough issues of our own.

303 goals against! what the H-E double hockey sticks is that! Maybe we should have the 2 NHL goalie prospects in between the pipes at the same time.

Last edited by SDRFAOBFH1: 03-10-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old
03-10-2013, 07:59 PM
BOOYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
OHLFan

Well I thought the SPITS were terrible and yeah they are latley, but Rychel will turn it around with a scorched earth policy if needed. As for you guys 9 to 1 loss yesterday, what an embarrasment to the League and your city if you are from ERIE. Wow wonder if McDavid wonders what he got himself into. Saw the kid play once and was blown away by the skill, but this is turning into a joke. I mean at least Tavares and Eckblad had a decent supporting cast and they would be the first to tell you, that is what helped them get to where they are. It is not even funny is very, very, very sad. Do you actaully think drafted players, even with McDavid there are gonna want to report to ERIE. Look at it on the bright side, dead last place last year, 2nd from dead last this year, maybe and just maybe, next year you can be third from dead last next year and catch the SPITS and in 7 years maybe catch the un catchable KNIGHTS.

All kidding aside, hope if you are an ERIE ticket holder somehting happens, maybe sell the team, any takers, what 5 or 6 million would be the price.
We could always do what London does and pay for our players to come to Erie. Then I am sure they would want to come here. London gets such preferential treatment in this league it is an absolute joke.Anyone that says there is not a different standard for the Londons of the league is obviously a HOMER.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:14 PM
H44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOYA View Post
We could always do what London does and pay for our players to come to Erie. Then I am sure they would want to come here. London gets such preferential treatment in this league it is an absolute joke.Anyone that says there is not a different standard for the Londons of the league is obviously a HOMER.
You have no clue wha\t you are talking about!

Old
03-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post
Bassin keeps chasing away the older talent, guess he thinks he can win with only young players with no experience or leadership.

How's it working for ya Sherwood.
Whats the point of playing 93's while sitting 96's in a rebuilding year? The failures of today are building blocks for the success of tomorrow. Thats how teams are built.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 03-10-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old
03-11-2013, 08:07 AM
SDRFAOBFH1

93's can lead by example
96's learn by example and by trial and error(correct)but they need some success also and you learn a lot by watching/participating/making mistakes and correction. This year is over the top with negative's and the rebuild is further behind than you may realize.

There is also a lot of off ice [politico] going on and that's not helping either.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
93's can lead by example
96's learn by example and by trial and error(correct)but they need some success also and you learn a lot by watching/participating/making mistakes and correction. This year is over the top with negative's and the rebuild is further behind than you may realize.

There is also a lot of off ice [politico] going on and that's not helping either.
Look at the history of successful teams. Be it the OHL, WHL or QMJHL, young players need to play, and mostly fail in order to learn how to be better. Its been the case with most successful teams. London trading all their vets and giving their young cast an opportunity to fail was a key reason to them being successful last year and years moving forward.

That said, it sounds like your personally connected, which is never a good thing for unbiased observations.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:27 PM
SDRFAOBFH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Look at the history of successful teams. Be it the OHL, WHL or QMJHL, young players need to play, and mostly fail in order to learn how to be better. Its been the case with most successful teams. London trading all their vets and giving their young cast an opportunity to fail was a key reason to them being successful last year and years moving forward.

That said, it sounds like your personally connected, which is never a good thing for unbiased observations.
1st part.[Agreed!] But London made the right moves the 2nd year. Last season for Erie should have been a wake up call, this season should be a lot better, it's no better if not worse in some areas.

2nd part.[Biased or unbiased/personally connected or totally removed is not the issue here. The entire organization is a damn mess, on ice product should be better this year, the GM should have retired and or sold this team. Now more than before this team is a joke throughout the entire CHL community. To be associated with them would be tiresome and very frustrating; I am sure there are a lot of good people involved that have their hands tied back because of SB and are powerless to make the changes that should have been made before Ftorek was released. RF is a good man and didn't deserve to be treated the way he did. PS is the real issue on this management team but I guess the Oshawa ties are strong.]

Old
03-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
2nd part.[Biased or unbiased/personally connected or totally removed is not the issue here.
Its always an issue. When you are emotionally involved, (which looking at your posts it would appear you are), then objectivity is removed. You react emotionally, not strategically.

Most had the Otters fighting for a playoff spot this year, and they generally where until the drop off (which happens all the time with young players, even Domi and Horvat struggled with it last year).

If the issue happens next year, then I agree, its worry some. Now? Not really, the team is so young that one would have had to expect a drop of like this

Old
03-11-2013, 02:06 PM
SDRFAOBFH1

If the issue happens next year, then I agree, its worry some. Now? Not really, the team is so young that one would have had to expect a drop of like this[/QUOTE]

I guess the difference of opinion here is that I expected a better team this year, you are looking for this next season. Either way I wish the players well.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOYA View Post
Back in the early 2000's Knights were the laughing stock of the league. Along came the Hunters and they got their star player Rob Schremp and built around him and won a cup. That winning pedigree hasn't left since.
So you have your star player....where's your championship? Next two years, let's go...clock's ticking.
Do some research into how hard the Hunters worked for this franchise and then see if all their success is attributed to 'league preferential treatment' - oh and by the way, what number does Mr leaguepreferentialtreatment wear for the Knights? How many goals does he put up each year? Exactly.
I hope the Otters have a few good years and others try to tear down what they built by saying it is something other than hard work - oh wait, that will probably happen, and it will be people saying that you guys got lucky getting McDavid and that is why you are good......you hope.
Suits me just fine if you guys stay where you are - in the standings that is - 2points is nice to count on. But just for fun, how bout the team relocates....to London, and Dylan Hunter can run that team and show you how its done

Old
03-11-2013, 06:23 PM
BOOYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Back in the early 2000's Knights were the laughing stock of the league. Along came the Hunters and they got their star player Rob Schremp and built around him and won a cup. That winning pedigree hasn't left since.
So you have your star player....where's your championship? Next two years, let's go...clock's ticking.
Do some research into how hard the Hunters worked for this franchise and then see if all their success is attributed to 'league preferential treatment' - oh and by the way, what number does Mr leaguepreferentialtreatment wear for the Knights? How many goals does he put up each year? Exactly.
I hope the Otters have a few good years and others try to tear down what they built by saying it is something other than hard work - oh wait, that will probably happen, and it will be people saying that you guys got lucky getting McDavid and that is why you are good......you hope.
Suits me just fine if you guys stay where you are - in the standings that is - 2points is nice to count on. But just for fun, how bout the team relocates....to London, and Dylan Hunter can run that team and show you how its done
"$$" is the number Mr. league preferential treatment wears. Like almost anything else when it comes down to it, it is all about the $$$ no matter how sad that is in todays society. When you talk about building around Scremph I agree, but is it the winning or $pending pedigree that hasn't left??? Players put doubt in teams minds saying the are going the college or USA development team route. Then after their draft stock drops due to that uncertainty in $woop$ London to draft that player 2 to 3 rounds later than their talent would warrant. Or even better, a player refuses to go to their team because they only want to play for London (Domi) and they force a team that drafts them to trade them away.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:35 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
I agree with everything you said in regards to the Hunters turning the franchise completely around. I will be honest I do not like London as an Erie fan but I can not take away the credit the Hunters deserve. During the "knightmare" season they had just 3 wins all year which will likely be a record that is never broken. The Hunters took over and they do deserve all the credit for working extremely hard to get where they are today. Like I said I have never really liked the Hunters (Dale primarily) but I give credit where it is due. I think a lot comments that are made about London are mostly jealousy because I for one wish Erie could sign players like Mermis, Stolarz, draft Patrick Kane in the 5th round etc. Also some of the questionable suspensions lengths like both of the Rupert's incidents, and the Raine knee just add people to draw conclusions I think.

Any way you brought up Rob Schremp and I just wanted to say that he is a great guy. It is unfortunate that he did not pan out in the NHL because I have always rooted for him after he went out of his way to sign things for an Erie fan back in the days where the rivalry was bigger than it is now. Can not say the same about Cory Perry though.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:25 PM
KnightSpit

Erie, London and Windsor and the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I agree with everything you said in regards to the Hunters turning the franchise completely around. I will be honest I do not like London as an Erie fan but I can not take away the credit the Hunters deserve. During the "knightmare" season they had just 3 wins all year which will likely be a record that is never broken. The Hunters took over and they do deserve all the credit for working extremely hard to get where they are today. Like I said I have never really liked the Hunters (Dale primarily) but I give credit where it is due. I think a lot comments that are made about London are mostly jealousy because I for one wish Erie could sign players like Mermis, Stolarz, draft Patrick Kane in the 5th round etc. Also some of the questionable suspensions lengths like both of the Rupert's incidents, and the Raine knee just add people to draw conclusions I think.

Any way you brought up Rob Schremp and I just wanted to say that he is a great guy. It is unfortunate that he did not pan out in the NHL because I have always rooted for him after he went out of his way to sign things for an Erie fan back in the days where the rivalry was bigger than it is now. Can not say the same about Cory Perry though.
OHLFan thanks for being "On The Money" no pund intended and being impartial and honest. Yes the Knights are right now the most valuable team in the OHL and maybe all of the CHL, but many people do not know the HUNTER'S mortgaged their farm to put up the money to get the team and they put a hell of alot of money into the team, with first rate scouts, coaches, trainers etc. Their Director of Scounting not only is a former CHL coach but runs one of the most sucessful hockey development programs around. Man look at the caliber of NHL talent they have produced like Patrick Kane and I guy Leafs fans know as Kadri. One thing further is I will say, ERIE has without a doubt one of the best if not most loyal supportive fan base around and if it were any other OHL city, the team might have been bankrupt by now. You guys have a good forward core, don't understand many of your moves on D, look up the minus's and it is absolutely scary in some respects and you bhave kids in your system who should probably be up, but are not ? Would still love to see McDavid with the Knights or Spits. One final note, the SPITS have a good fan base as well, but this year which was a disaster, that base has dropped and the SPITS better make the playoffs next year. Good luck man let us know what happens in the ERIE mini camp and main training camp and here's hoping you one day get The Memorial Cup in ERIE.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:47 PM
SDRFAOBFH1

ERIE OTTER'S have the best fan base around, bar none!!! I guess many teams boast about it, but Erie really does have a base that goes the extra mile considering the teams results.

It's amazing to see the fans at the games, full support of the players.

CONGRAT'S for another season of support.....

Old
03-12-2013, 05:35 PM
massey

[QUOTE=KnightSpit;61500469]OHLFan thanks for being "On The Money" no pund intended and being impartial and honest. Yes the Knights are right now the most valuable team in the OHL and maybe all of the CHL, but many people do not know the HUNTER'S mortgaged their farm to put up the money to get the team and they put a hell of alot of money into the team, with first rate scouts, coaches, trainers etc. Their Director of Scounting not only is a former CHL coach but runs one of the most sucessful hockey development programs around. Man look at the caliber of NHL talent they have produced like Patrick Kane and I guy Leafs fans know as Kadri. One thing further is I will say, ERIE has without a doubt one of the best if not most loyal supportive fan base around and if it were any other OHL city, the team might have been bankrupt by now. You guys have a good forward core, don't understand many of your moves on D, look up the minus's and it is absolutely scary in some respects and you bhave kids in your system who should probably be up, but are not ? Would still love to see McDavid with the Knights or Spits. One final note, the SPITS have a good fan base as well, but this year which was a disaster, that base has dropped and the SPITS better make the playoffs next year. Good luck man let us know what happens in the ERIE mini camp and main training camp and here's hoping you one day get The Memorial Cup in ERIE.[/QUOT

Easy on the poor Hunters.They both had NHL money to draw from.They also have the best arena deal in the CHL with their concessions producing HUGE revenues for their team.It takes lots of MONEY to hire the scouts and personnel required to try and dominate the league.Most teams in the OHL cant compete because their arena deals are not even close to providing the revenues. Most arenas are money loosing or at best break even.Look at the seating capacity handed to them.Now MONEY also allows some teams (HMMM)to hire the father of one of their star players they were trying to get and still be ok in the OHL rule book. That ring a bell. Also that farm you talked about does need some addition help and they are able to hire some employees through the farm(might be player related)as required to bring players to London.Dont get me wrong,There is not a more HOCKEY SMART family than the Hunters. Right from the dad Dickie through to the brothers Dave and Ron. They all know their hockey and spend HUGE hours watching games all over the place scouting out potentials.MONEY would allow lots of other teams to continually compete also.Easy on the sympathy.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
NHL Fanatic

Apparently rumors mentioned during the Petes- Steelheads broadcast have it that potentially the Otters could move to Brantford. Don't know how legitimate the claims are though.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:02 PM
ottergolfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Apparently rumors mentioned during the Petes- Steelheads broadcast have it that potentially the Otters could move to Brantford. Don't know how legitimate the claims are though.
I would think that at the end of this year they may in fact be packing up

it would be sad to see them go but with the fan base and new building I would bet money Erie would have another OHL team or the AHL team Of the Canadians.

the EIA cannot sit for long without a major tenant so if they do go someone will be in soon

Maybe the next time we will get an owner that cares more about putting a winner on the ice than drafting kids with deep pocketed parents.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:21 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
I would think that at the end of this year they may in fact be packing up

it would be sad to see them go but with the fan base and new building I would bet money Erie would have another OHL team or the AHL team Of the Canadians.

the EIA cannot sit for long without a major tenant so if they do go someone will be in soon

Maybe the next time we will get an owner that cares more about putting a winner on the ice than drafting kids with deep pocketed parents.
The team is under contract for at least one more season and the league would have had to improve the move months ago. It's near impossible for them to move before the conclusion of the 13-14 season. After that it is to hard to predict whether they will move but I still find it unlikely.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:54 PM
ottergolfer

Quote:
The team is under contract for at least one more season and the league would have had to improve the move months ago. It's near impossible for them to move before the conclusion of the 13-14 season. After that it is to hard to predict whether they will move but I still find it unlikely.
official application to transfer a team to this city or anywhere . With the deadline for that being Dec. 31, that opportunity is now long past.

However, Branch seemed to leave the door open a crack. Wide enough for a deal to squeeze through under the right circumstances. The Dec. 31 rule could be adjusted, he says, if a compelling case could be made.

Mr branch makes his own rules and do not forget he is Bassin's buddy

Old
03-12-2013, 09:52 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
official application to transfer a team to this city or anywhere . With the deadline for that being Dec. 31, that opportunity is now long past.

However, Branch seemed to leave the door open a crack. Wide enough for a deal to squeeze through under the right circumstances. The Dec. 31 rule could be adjusted, he says, if a compelling case could be made.

Mr branch makes his own rules and do not forget he is Bassin's buddy
While that would not surprise me, I just do not see this happening at all. I was told by a reliable source in December the details of the relocation rumors and long story short they are not moving. It makes no sense financially to move the team either. Why move a team that has the record they do but still draws 4,000+ every Saturday since about late December? Add that to having the renovations complete and a team that should be better next year and it makes absolutely no sense to move them before the 2013-2014 year. The only way a move after the 2013-2014 season happens is if Bassin just sells the team to fill his pockets, and my would that be a gigantic slap to the face to the loyal fan base.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:15 PM
defensehockey19

Who are Erie fans hoping for in the draft? Spencer? Crouse? Strome? Henley? Let me know what you guys think!

Old
03-12-2013, 10:21 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Who are Erie fans hoping for in the draft? Spencer? Crouse? Strome? Henley? Let me know what you guys think!
For me I would be happy with Spencer as my first choice, then Henley and Strome are also solid picks. I think Spencer is the best d-man in the draft other than Day and it does not seem Werenski is going the OHL route. Henley is also a great pick and will help the team defensively and Strome I think has emerged as the best offensive player in the draft.
That is no knock on Crouse because he is a great player as well it is that Erie does not necessarily at this time need his style of play.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:26 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
For me I would be happy with Spencer as my first choice, then Henley and Strome are also solid picks. I think Spencer is the best d-man in the draft other than Day and it does not seem Werenski is going the OHL route. Henley is also a great pick and will help the team defensively and Strome I think has emerged as the best offensive player in the draft.
That is no knock on Crouse because he is a great player as well it is that Erie does not necessarily at this time need his style of play.
Erie has there first rounder #2, second rounder #21. After that they draft in the 5th round? Is that right?

They have great options with both early picks. Selecting 2 rosters players should not be a challenge. That #21 pick is just as important as that #2.

Closed Thread