HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

The Official Jaromir Jagr Discussion Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 08:01 AM
crabcz

vCash: 50
The fact that Jagr has more goals than assists speaks volumes. Benn is clueless without a puck.

crabcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:51 AM
jagrgodr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcz View Post
The fact that Jagr has more goals than assists speaks volumes. Benn is clueless without a puck.
That is pretty harsh. Things are getting harsh around here all of a sudden.

You gotta be careful trying to figure out what Jagr is saying.. i really don't think that saying they are playing at 30% is a slight at Benn. I think he is saying that their chemistry is just OKAY right now, but it could get a lot better. Having Morrow on that line really destroyed the chemistry, i think. It was such a downer to see Morrow mess up on taking and making passes. Now that Loui is on the line chemistry can actually start to happen because he has the amazing ability to actually make and receive a pass. It was very frustrating watching Morrow on the top line honestly.

But his comments are interesting, especially after what he said during the video that showcased him a few days ago where he said that he is comfortable just being a member of the team and not being depended on.. but now he is saying that because of the money he feels he needs to step up his game. So, the reason i'm bringing this up.. it's so hard to read Jagr, he is an Enigma. I don't think he is lying, he just says what he is thinking at the time and it's short answers.

Anyways it's really amazing to see him do so well, and i think he could do even better. He should be at a PPG now, but Morrow really slowed them down.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

This talk about Benn from people who've admitted they haven't really watched him play is BS. The guy is a good passer and sometimes defers too much when he should shoot. Jagr was only saying that Benn isn't used to playing with someone like him so that while they're doing well now, they can be much better together. That's it. Makes sense, pretty much nobody plays like Jagr so it's an adjustment.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:43 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
to reply those who say dallas actually doesn't need Jagr, ok they might don't, but let me ask, where was dallas last 2 years ? who leads dallas with points now?
Who said anything about Dallas not needing Jagr? You're making **** up at this point. Every single person here is a fan of Jagr and what he's done for this team. You're the only one saying otherwise, trashing the rest of the team because you're only a fan of one player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
i have to admit i watched just 4 games, rest was just from recaps since most of games they played was at 5 am here..
and what i saw is a selfish guy who just go to the net no matter what
Stopped reading there. I respect your drive to watch a player you love, but you really are ignorant in this matter. People have seriously brought up multiple examples of Benn providing great passes to set Jagr up, and you conveniently ignore them just to believe in your narrative.

Quote:
i take it Benn is easy to like, he can score and fight, but from what i have seen in those few games, he doesn't fit to Jagr, thats all i wanted say in first post, but then Benn defenders came in
Maybe because you have no real backing for your position except "I watched a few games and didn't like what I saw, and going to plug my ears to any evidence that goes against my opinion."

Quote:
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...ed-share-video

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...ed-share-video

Man that guy is sure clueless with the puck.

Quote:
You gotta be careful trying to figure out what Jagr is saying.. i really don't think that saying they are playing at 30% is a slight at Benn. I think he is saying that their chemistry is just OKAY right now, but it could get a lot better.
Exactly, agreed completely. Some of the Jagr-only fans took this comment as an immediate opportunity to **** on another Stars players after not even watching the games. I'll be the first to agree their chemistry isn't 100%. But to act like Benn is holding Jagr back, or that their chemistry hasn't been improving, is ridiculous.

I'd like to remind you all that this quote stemmed from the King's coach saying he had no answer to the Benn-Jagr combo. But yea, they're horrible together.

Last edited by MetalGodAOD: 03-09-2013 at 11:53 AM.
MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

^ He said clueless with-OUT the puck, as in Jagr doesn't assist on many of his goals because he doesn't get open?

As others have noted, Jagr said he feels the pressure of his paycheck and I think Benn does as well. Benn has had kind of an up and down season, ie the high of the Sharks game followed by a few games of trying way too hard and getting nothing done. Having a brand new linemate with a totally unique ability to keep hold of the puck adds to the difficulty in transitioning to the Stars top dog role.

If the team needs a shakeup, splitting them up might be the best option, but as long as the offense keeps rolling like it is now, it is better to let Benn and Jagr continue to try to develop more chemistry.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
but you really are ignorant in this matter. People have seriously brought up multiple examples of Benn providing great passes to set Jagr up, and you conveniently ignore them just to believe in your narrative.
multiple stopped reading right there since you don't read my post, i made some bad points due to language barrier, see the mistake with rebound and deflection.. if you watch all Jagr goals, you will not see great Benn's passes, but how many 2? you are right 2 might be considered multiple, anyway, hate me all you want for liking Jagr, because i like what he brings at 41! years, yes i was't dallas fan, im sorry i didn't born in US or canada so i could be native fan of my town, i really am if that troubles you so much.

All i wanted say Benn play something completely different than whats Jagr used to, and thats EXACTLY same thing Jagr said so i think i m right about this.. i didn't say Benn is bad , alsso if you think Benn fits to Jagr then the only ignorant here is you sir.

oh and ye im really sorry the game time is at 2am - 5 am so i can't really watch games online, bash me for that, like really
Cheers

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:04 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
multiple stopped reading right there since you don't read my post, i made some bad points due to language barrier, see the mistake with rebound and deflection.. if you watch all Jagr goals, you will not see great Benn's passes, but how many 2? you are right 2 might be considered multiple, anyway, hate me all you want for liking Jagr, because i like what he brings at 41! years, yes i was't dallas fan, im sorry i didn't born in US or canada so i could be native fan of my town, i really am if that troubles you so much.

All i wanted say Benn play something completely different than whats Jagr used to, and thats EXACTLY same thing Jagr said so i think i m right about this.. i didn't say Benn is bad , alsso if you think Benn fits to Jagr then the only ignorant here is you sir.
You seriously want me to go through every play to show you more great passes? Come on. You think you would trust the people who them play more than you can.

Quote:
oh and ye im really sorry the game time is at 2am - 5 am so i can't really watch games online, bash me for that, like really
Cheers
Quote:
I respect your drive to watch a player you love, but you really are ignorant in this matter.
I'm sure bashing you bro.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Another deflection/rebound goal by Jagr...oh wait.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Another deflection/rebound goal by Jagr...oh wait.
you didn't get it ... my point was Benn doesn't make many passes to Jagr or anyone in offensive zone, did you see Benn feed Jagr at this goal? i din't so ye, my point agian right there

when i saw Benn with assist to Jagr it was always from rebound of goalie.... but 2 or something

Old
03-10-2013, 08:33 AM
jagrgodr

Jagr has goals in 4 straight games, and a total of 5 goals in 4 games, no assists.

The last time Jagr has had 4 straight games with goals? His last year with the Rangers in 2007-2008 in his last 4 games of the regular season when he "turned it on" RIGHT before the playoffs and proceeded to score 15 points in 10 games in the play offs against the devils and his old club, the Penguins. He was leading the Playoffs in scoring at the end of the 2nd round.

It's obvious Jagr still has it. We Jagr fans had a feeling he would be awesome after he lit up the Czech league so i am not shocked to see him do this well. He just needs to find chemistry and someone who can finish his passes and he and his linemates could be over a PPG.

It was really really nice to see the 2 5-on-3 chances and seeing Jagr control the puck like that. It reminded me a lot of him as a Ranger. This is what i have been waiting to see since he returned to the NHL. The flyers totally failed at using Jagr on the Power Play or he just was bad on it for the flyers team.. he was not moving around like Jagr is doing now. Jagr used to always be in the middle of the ice for the Flyers PP and not the outside where he could control the puck and make plays. What i like most about what he is doing now, is he has confidence to hold the puck, wait for the defenders to commit to a play and he can either burn them with a cross ice pass or move in for the shot.

With that said, there is a concern in his assist area. 10 games and only 1 assist. That is pretty bad.

Last edited by jagrgodr: 03-10-2013 at 08:40 AM.
jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:11 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
Jagr has goals in 4 straight games, and a total of 5 goals in 4 games, no assists.

The last time Jagr has had 4 straight games with goals? His last year with the Rangers in 2007-2008 in his last 4 games of the regular season when he "turned it on" RIGHT before the playoffs and proceeded to score 15 points in 10 games in the play offs against the devils and his old club, the Penguins. He was leading the Playoffs in scoring at the end of the 2nd round.

It's obvious Jagr still has it. We Jagr fans had a feeling he would be awesome after he lit up the Czech league so i am not shocked to see him do this well. He just needs to find chemistry and someone who can finish his passes and he and his linemates could be over a PPG.

It was really really nice to see the 2 5-on-3 chances and seeing Jagr control the puck like that. It reminded me a lot of him as a Ranger. This is what i have been waiting to see since he returned to the NHL. The flyers totally failed at using Jagr on the Power Play or he just was bad on it for the flyers team.. he was not moving around like Jagr is doing now. Jagr used to always be in the middle of the ice for the Flyers PP and not the outside where he could control the puck and make plays. What i like most about what he is doing now, is he has confidence to hold the puck, wait for the defenders to commit to a play and he can either burn them with a cross ice pass or move in for the shot.

With that said, there is a concern in his assist area. 10 games and only 1 assist. That is pretty bad.
His assists will come. I think last night's game will serve as a big wake up call for the other big name players on the team such as Benn, Eriksson, Roy, Cole and now with Whitney coming back, they will have more help.

Like Jagr, Whitney has great vision and great playmaking ability and having both of them on the same powerplay unit will be huge.

They lost the game yesterday on the powerplay but you can tell it's starting to click.

A unit featuring Whitney, Benn, Eriksson, Roy, Cole and Jagr among others is scary on paper.

Since this is a Jagr thread, I will chime in and say that offensively, this has become Jagr's team, sure everyone wanted Benn to be the man and he has what it takes to do it, but with him just slumping a bit, Jagr is there to carry them offensively.

Benn is a very good passer and has great instincts in the offensive zone, (I'm a die hard Jagr fan myself) but people stop blaming Benn or anyone else for Jagr's low assists totals.

He will finish with more assists than goals and that you can count on. Guys stop worrying. It's a good sign though that Jagr is moving better on the ice this year and is more confident with the puck, shooting the puck like he did in New York and make great passes, it's only a matter of time before his linemates and teammates start to convert those passes into goals.

Maybe when Whitney gets back they should try splitting Jagr and Benn up? Who knows that might work for both of them better.

The biggest problem with Benn and Jagr being on the same line is that they both are big and strong, have lethal shots and pass the puck very well but they like to hold on the puck themselves except others to get open. So that is the biggest reason why they are not clicking well together. They are similar players

I think Derek Roy would be a better center for Jagr, he plays the game a bit more like Nylander used to.

I would honestly try this for the 2 top lines.

Eriksson - Roy - Jagr

Whitney - Benn - Eakin

You can pair Benn and Jagr together on the powerplay though.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
you didn't get it ... my point was Benn doesn't make many passes to Jagr or anyone in offensive zone, did you see Benn feed Jagr at this goal? i din't so ye, my point agian right there

when i saw Benn with assist to Jagr it was always from rebound of goalie.... but 2 or something
You really should stop commenting like this, you've admitted you've hardly watched Benn play so you don't know whether or not Benn makes many passes in the offensive zone. Since others do know, they have answered that he did. So your assumption was wrong. Benn had a couple of nice offensive zone passes last night. That's the most underrated part of his game. He's an very good passer and has good vision to spot people getting open. He's not elite in that regard but better than average..I've been impressed by it.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:49 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post

I watched this game last night - nice to see Jagr score another goal. Was too bad that the Stars lost anyway, though....

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
You really should stop commenting like this, you've admitted you've hardly watched Benn play so you don't know whether or not Benn makes many passes in the offensive zone. Since others do know, they have answered that he did. So your assumption was wrong. Benn had a couple of nice offensive zone passes last night. That's the most underrated part of his game. He's an very good passer and has good vision to spot people getting open. He's not elite in that regard but better than average..I've been impressed by it.
yep i saw couple of good passes from Benn yesterday, looks like he is getting there, yes i didn't see many games, still i saw how Benn played and i wasn't happy from what i saw, its just my opinion, take it or not don't get me wrong, i as all here hope, they ll make it work, the hate in this topic is for no reason, we are on same boat after all, i like Jagr and cheer for team he plays for, saying im not real fan of dallas is like saying Jagr is not real dallas player since he didn't play for them for last years, again like it or not

Old
03-15-2013, 07:41 PM
aloonda
fear the rooster

jags is a different kind of animal
his puck control skills and just flat out talent/ability far exceeds most anyone else in the league--it is truly incredible to watch most nights

he is what could appear as lazy at times---but reality--? he is just smart--he knows when to rush, hang/drive the net/offensive end

is he the perfect hockey player? no, never was
would I want him on my team? yes
I can have others do other jobs
he is simply awesome at what he does

aloonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
jags is a different kind of animal
his puck control skills and just flat out talent/ability far exceeds most anyone else in the league--it is truly incredible to watch most nights

he is what could appear as lazy at times---but reality--? he is just smart--he knows when to rush, hang/drive the net/offensive end

is he the perfect hockey player? no, never was
would I want him on my team? yes
I can have others do other jobs
he is simply awesome at what he does
His style of play is also different, but his production so far is at the lower end of my expectations, I think he should be scoring more ~0.9+ PPG. It's good that he's had a chance to play with Roy and now Eakin, especially as he expressed some concern over his chemistry with Benn. He needs a center who complements his style effectively, and that doesn't always mean the most talented player. His last year with the Rangers, he did not click with Gomez at all, and so played with Jason Ward before settling with Dubinsky. It would be awesome if he somehow found some success with Eakin, as then the Stars could roll lines like Eriksson-Benn-?, Whitney-Roy-Cole, and ?-Eakin-Jagr.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:00 PM
aloonda
fear the rooster

I think a jags, eakin, nystrom line
or jags, nystrom, rousel line would kick ass

jags would need a couple of truly high energy guys with him imo

Old
03-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:

Not sure whether high energy is what he needs. He needs a center that can carry the puck effectively, but not too quickly, and linemates who think the game effectively and know how to work for that high percentage chance each shift. He definitely doesn't need centers rushing the puck at full speed every time and then dumping and chasing or any of that nonsense.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:

If you want energy, go for Roussel and not Nystrom. Also Roussel is better as a wing than as a center IMO, he would be a disaster as the center on Jagr's line.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:37 PM
aloonda
fear the rooster

current roster line for jagr

rousell, whitney, jagr

?

he would need one true go getter out there

Old
03-16-2013, 09:33 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

The short bio clip on Jagr after the 2nd period tonight was pretty cool

Old
03-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

Which players did Jagr play with tonight?

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
Which players did Jagr play with tonight?
Eakin and R. Smith

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:50 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

I find it interesting on some of the other threads how some players want certain changes... Some want Jagr gone. He was the leading scorer on the team, and he is now 2nd for that on the team. But, why would ya want him gone? I know for some - it's a supposed money issue...

But hell, I wish he was still on the Flyers - Giroux sure could have used him.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
But, why would ya want him gone?
Most assume he isn't going to re-sign here, so get something for him while we still can plus give him a chance to do something on a winning team.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote