HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Go Get Gomez , Deal To Be Made

Old
07-26-2006, 03:30 PM
JMMR

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
What previous posters have said about Koivu and Ribs not being a strong 1 2 punch at centre is true. The Habs have plenty of great prospects on the wings but down the middle they are indeed weak.
Is Gomez the answer.........I really do not think so. Although he put up great numbers without Elias for most of the season and playing for a defensive team such as the Devils for some reason I just do not see him thriving in Montreal.
The Habs should wait to see how things pan out with Saku and Mike for the first few months of the season and should things not work out juggle up those lines and let some younger players have a quality chance on the top two lines.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 03:51 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
AT LEAST HE IS TOP 15 , KOIVU ISN`T
STOP TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS!

God, your posts aren't even readable. How old are you?

Koivu maybe isn't in the top 15's of the league but he's definiely top 25, and IMO not that far behind Gomez.

Gomez did have a great year with the Devils but in no way is trading away a bunch of prospects going to be an advantage for us. Gomez is signed to one year and could flee next year.

We don't have to win the cup this year, we have lots of youth improving, I say wait a couple years before breaking the bank

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 03:54 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
I disagree.

Gomez is arguably a top 5 centre for the "New" NHL.
No..

I could enumerate a long list of centers better than him. He is a #1 center.. maybe top 15.

Guys that deserve 5+ million ay year for the next 3+ years:

Lecavalier
Thornton
Forsberg
Crosby
Sakic

Guys who are very good but don't deserve 5+ million

Zetterberg
Jokinen
Savard
Koivu
Gomez
etc....

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 04:20 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
What previous posters have said about Koivu and Ribs not being a strong 1 2 punch at centre is true. The Habs have plenty of great prospects on the wings but down the middle they are indeed weak.
Is Gomez the answer.........I really do not think so. Although he put up great numbers without Elias for most of the season and playing for a defensive team such as the Devils for some reason I just do not see him thriving in Montreal.
The Habs should wait to see how things pan out with Saku and Mike for the first few months of the season and should things not work out juggle up those lines and let some younger players have a quality chance on the top two lines.
Is Gomez an improvement on Mike?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 04:25 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Yes.

Is he worth 5 million and sacrificing our depth and youth... No.

keep Mike.

Old
07-26-2006, 04:36 PM
skyrok

Ignore the silly fans Bob

Gomez ? Gimmee a break ! first off LOU is stuck big time as the entire salary Gomez was rewarded is the amount the Devils are over the cap, so there is NO quick trade solution as they can't accept any salary in return !
In order to land Gomez you would have to take on say Mogilny's salary as well...
best to sit patient ,let them walk away and pick him up as a free agent and then trade players away for prospects to get under the cap, but is he worth the chunk of salary he takes out of the cap ? NO WAY !

skyrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 05:10 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand View Post
No..

I could enumerate a long list of centers better than him. He is a #1 center.. maybe top 15.

Guys that deserve 5+ million ay year for the next 3+ years:

Lecavalier
Thornton
Forsberg
Crosby
Sakic

Guys who are very good but don't deserve 5+ million

Zetterberg
Jokinen
Savard
Koivu
Gomez
etc....
Forsberg and Sakic are aging. Lecavalier isnt a big point producer as isnt Marleau. A 5 million dollar player isnt a 7.5 million dollar player.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 05:24 PM
dude_guy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
WHO WOULD YOU RATHER PAY GOMEZ AT 5 OR SAKU AT 4.75 FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS. If we take Saku at 31, injury prone , over Gomez , your nuts.
If you obviously put it that way, considering age and injury proneness, then I would agree with you that Gomez is a better asset to this team, but, would you want a young guy like Gomez who's would be making the most in the Habs lineup? What kind of message does that send to Koivu and Kovalev, who are our supposed leaders?

dude_guy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 05:29 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I think Lamoriello can get away with assigning Malakhov or Mogilny to Albany, where it wouldn't count against the cap, but he can't do it with both. He also has McGillis to contend with.

Higgins should not be included in any deal. With the Habs getting a fairly young center in Gomez, they could spare Chipchura, who has good qualities but is less talented. Besides, Chipchura wouldn't count against the cap if he plays in the AHL this season. The rest of the deal could be structured around draft choices or prospects who aren't quite ready for prime time. I doubt whether Lou would take Ribeiro. His $1.9M salary may seem modest to us but not to a GM who faces cap pressure and isn't finished signing his RFAs.
Teufels, the problem I have with Gomez coming without giving any NHLers in return is that the Habs' payroll would be over the cap. Impossible. Not for a guy like Gomez.

Scott Gomez was, 2 seasons ago, behind the 8 ball in NJ. He re-emerged with Gionta last season, but I'm not convinced he's the real deal, specially not for 5 M $ per.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 06:23 PM
AD

Quote:
Forsberg and Sakic are aging. Lecavalier isnt a big point producer as isnt Marleau. A 5 million dollar player isnt a 7.5 million dollar player.
Agreed... but all of them deserve 5+ million.

Unlike Gomez...

its not all about points.

Old
07-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Teufels, the problem I have with Gomez coming without giving any NHLers in return is that the Habs' payroll would be over the cap. Impossible. Not for a guy like Gomez.

Scott Gomez was, 2 seasons ago, behind the 8 ball in NJ. He re-emerged with Gionta last season, but I'm not convinced he's the real deal, specially not for 5 M $ per.
More like Gomez put the puck on Gionta`s stick than the other way around. Gomez always had good seasons. It`s just last year that he scored 30, right. But 30 these days of low scoring is more like 40 or 45 used to be. I don`t know if you`ve seen Gomez play but believe me I don`t think that season was a fluke. He was all over the ice.

Also about his salary, you worry about the damn cap..? You have the chance to get a guy that will make you a contender and you whine about the cap? What are we financiers or hockey fans here. If we`re over the cap, trade a few more bodies for draft picks elsewhere(not necesseraly in Jersey).

5 mil for Gomez is pretty fair considering what Saku and Kovalev got and they were not even listed in the top scorers from any papers in all North America. Lecavallier was also not listed and he`s making 6 a year. In term of points Gomez was in the top 20 last year. It`s been a while since we`ve had that.

That said I wouldn`t give up Higgins.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 06:29 PM
larue*

I never want to hear Higgins name in a trade ever. One of the Habs corner stones for many years to come.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
I never want to hear Higgins name in a trade ever. One of the Habs corner stones for many years to come.
That`s right. Trading Higgins must NEVER be an option. You hear me, Bob?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 07:07 PM
habsfan44

yeah right habs give up four players for one , then habs win the cup and gomez wins the hart art ross and conn smythe trophies......................and of course you win the executive of the year award er i meant bg wins it sry

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 07:07 PM
habsfan44

agreed !!!!

Old
07-26-2006, 07:08 PM
habsfan44

agreed!!!!!

Old
07-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Belso

Danis out, Locke out, Freland out, DesJardins in, Gomez in.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 07:13 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Personally I am not interested in him. His new salary is to much for what he brings, his 33 goals are an abaration and he will likely never match it. His defensive play is so-so. Also he would bring us to the brink of the cap.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:13 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Gomez top 5 in the NHL? No freakin way. Thornton, Forsberg, Marleau, Jokinen, Sakic, Spezza, Staal, Crosby, Richards, Zetterberg, Sundin, Modano and Brind'Amour I all take over Gomez without looking back. Then you start getting into guys like Demitra, Lecavallier and Datsyuk who are in the same league. I don't think you can even say Gomez is a top 10 center. Top 15 sounds about right.

Sorry... my fault... I meant to say top 5 "playmaking centres" in the new NHL... IMO he is currently better than the aging Sundins, Modanos, Brind'Amours though.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Is your girlfriend more desirable than your aunt?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:15 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
lol Koivu is not a legit no 1 center? I think you watch 110% too much lately
Koivu is a very good centremen but I dont know if hes a number 1

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand View Post
I'm nuts

same here...

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post

Gainey would have to maneuver to stay within the cap, although his problem wouldn't be as severe as Lamoriello's. The ideal solution after trading for Gomez would be to unload Ribeiro. Unfortunately, his $1.9M would be unacceptable to Lamoriello. But with Gomez, Koivu, Plekanec, and Bonk, Gainey could sacrifice Ribeiro for a 5th rounder (there would be willing trading partners at that price) and Streit for a 7th rounder. I haven't checked, but I believe that would be enough to bring the Habs within the cap. Of course, I wouldn't make the trade without a contract extension for Gomez.

Old
07-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Personally I am not interested in him. His new salary is to much for what he brings, his 33 goals are an abaration and he will likely never match it. His defensive play is so-so. Also he would bring us to the brink of the cap.
He can skate and he can score more goals than Koivu, Ribeiro, or Chipchura.

Old
07-27-2006, 06:57 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
He can skate and he can score more goals than Koivu, Ribeiro, or Chipchura.
At some point, I think the team has to alter their thinking and have a 'best player', someone who without question is among the best at their position. In my view,the team has a lot of very good players, with many more on the way. As a team, they probably lack one guy who stands alone, has a huge effect on other players or opposition gameplans. When that time comes, the whole cap and roster has to be structured to fit him in. I just don't think Gomez warrants radically changing the team, and I believe fitting him in would cause that.

Sure he's a better point producer than our current C's, but I don't see him as the 'guy'. I also believe that LL can sit back and demand Higgins or his equal in a deal. 28 other GM's will at least think about it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote