HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Kessel?

View Poll Results: Should Phil Kessel be traded?
Yes 194 51.60%
No 182 48.40%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Aplayaz2000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzy13 View Post
We could get Crosby, Leaf fans will find something wrong with him.
people will always pick on people

and HFBOARDS does it a lot
i honestly laugh at you, if you take these threads seriously

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:27 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*

I voted no before tonight's game because I know just how much of an elite player he is. Tonight just validated my opinion

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
Lets see the posts of, "where are the Kessel haters now?? zomg!" If people actually carefully read Kessel's critics, it's not about hating anyone. Kessel is a great player with great skillets.

However he can be easily shutdown when teams play actual good d on him and take his space away. His also very soft, as he won't take the hit to make a crucial play and even get out of the way even if it results in giveaway instead of taking the hit.

One of my own reasons for wanting to trade him, it's not because his soft or etc etc. It's simply because you gotta have some foresight. Not everything is about hindsight 20/20. Kessel's NTC kicks in the off season. We could argue back and forth on what we think he will sign for, but I am willing to bet with anyone it will be $7+ million. That's far too much to pay for more of a complimentary piece then franchise piece.

If someone were to tell me, we could have Kessel re-signed for $6 million or less, then we'd be crazy to trade him. However that is unlikely. So before anyone makes the assumption that people who suggest Kessel to be traded, just because of "one bad game" or etc etc then you're not paying attention.

Just my .02 cents.
fine argument, couldnt resist pointing this out.

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:36 PM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
I voted no before tonight's game because I know just how much of an elite player he is. Tonight just validated my opinion
Lydia, is this your name?

If Kessel has no intention of signing after next year, we risk losing the sometimes elite talent(minus games against Boston) for nothing.

So if Nonis senses through Arnott that he doesn't sign here in Toronto, let's not forget his history he has already held out on another team already to sign here, he could and should be traded.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Garbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
I believe we all accepted #13 for 13 years with no complaints.. I guarantee you that if we acquire Perry, that no one will complain about his game, because like #13, there's nothing to hate and everything to love about this player.
aaaaaaaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
your opinion is wrong. but in seriousness i dont know what the heck to do with kessel. i think management needs to find him a worthy center or get what you can for him. we saw 20 seconds of kessel with kadri tonight and it turned into a goal. i know its a small sample size, but everyone got a glimpse of what a talented center could do for him, and thats a big part of what makes kessel effective. he'll find the seam, but he needs someone to thread him the pass.

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Rizzy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
people will always pick on people

and HFBOARDS does it a lot
i honestly laugh at you, if you take these threads seriously
Oh trust me, I don't take anything seriously on here. I come on here, see utterly pointless and stupid thread titles, laugh and just leave half the time. I just had to say all that though lol

Rizzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Rizzy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post

IF you believe that then you are too young to remember the uproar about trading our HEart and soul Wendel Clark for him.

Then he was unfit as a Captain after Gilmour.

Sundin was not accepted for years. Even at the end of his carreer there are Leafs fans who still didn't llike him.
Great post, thanks!

Old
03-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Al14

Quote:
Oh trust me, I don't take anything seriously on here. I come on here, see utterly pointless and stupid thread titles, laugh and just leave half the time. I just had to say all that though lol
Come on, as a Leafs fan you need to bear down and take everything seriously! Come on man.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Rizzy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
I believe we all accepted #13 for 13 years with no complaints.. I guarantee you that if we acquire Perry, that no one will complain about his game, because like #13, there's nothing to hate and everything to love about this player.
Did you see the minor penalty stats I wrote? Every nitpicks these tiny tiny things, you don't think you'll notice him in the box all the time for stupid little penalties and complain about it? Let me guess, he's amazing offensively and will dig for the puck? Well Kessel doesn't take as many stupid penalties, is great offensively and doesn't dig for the puck, it all balances out

Old
03-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Lisa Needs Braces

I think the thing people need to realize about Kessel is that his play influences the play of others. JVR has a ton of goals here, a lot of which are garbage goals from kessel shots. JVR and Bozak both have additional space simply because other teams focus on Kessel. Trade Kessel away and those two guys suddenly may not have the impact they are having now.

The reason Kessel is scoring less this year is that he has no Lupul to give him the puck for the shot from the circle. I'm noticing a fair bit that Phil is in the position to get a good shot but doesn't have the puck. His point totals are still decent (23 in 26 I believe) which indicates he is still making good plays. When Lupul comes back, I would expect his goals to assists ratio to increase as he'll probably have the puck more.

Lisa Needs Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Snow Dog
Victorious

Tonight's game is exactly the reason I voted to trade him.See how good he can actually play when he tries.

Snow Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:13 PM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Tonight's game is exactly the reason I voted to trade him.See how good he can actually play when he tries.
Subtle but effective post.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:17 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Lydia, is this your name?

If Kessel has no intention of signing after next year, we risk losing the sometimes elite talent(minus games against Boston) for nothing.

So if Nonis senses through Arnott that he doesn't sign here in Toronto, let's not forget his history he has already held out on another team already to sign here, he could and should be traded.
That joke would take WAY too long to explain. Sonny knows what that is about though! And IF he had no intention of signing here, then I would deal him. If he had intention, I'd keep him, easily

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:17 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

Almost at a PPG pace playing bit higher competition level and less offensive zone starts than last season (which explains his lower Corsi On stat).

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:27 PM
goguls

Blow it up

goguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:29 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Great post, thanks!
I wasa huge Wendel Clark fan but I had followed Sundin since his draft. (Back then there was no inter web to look up junior games) I was the only person in the people I knew who liked the trade. Clark was beat up.

Then When Sundin became captain, oh my god, what a rediculous outcry.

Sundin fought hatred his entire time in toronto. From his hair cut to the fact he wasn't born Canadian. IT was rediculous.

FOr someone to say he had it easy didn't live through it.

Everyone appreciates him now because compared to Bozak he is Mario Lemieux. BUt there was a reason why one of his contracts was the avg of the top 5 centers in the league at one time. IF he had ever had better linemates than a 50% Roberts and 50% Mogilny he would be a god in this town.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Garbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
I wasa huge Wendel Clark fan but I had followed Sundin since his draft. (Back then there was no inter web to look up junior games) I was the only person in the people I knew who liked the trade. Clark was beat up.

Then When Sundin became captain, oh my god, what a rediculous outcry.

Sundin fought hatred his entire time in toronto. From his hair cut to the fact he wasn't born Canadian. IT was rediculous.

FOr someone to say he had it easy didn't live through it.

Everyone appreciates him now because compared to Bozak he is Mario Lemieux. BUt there was a reason why one of his contracts was the avg of the top 5 centers in the league at one time. IF he had ever had better linemates than a 50% Roberts and 50% Mogilny he would be a god in this town.
Even after all he gave to the team, you should have seen the pouting and bitterness coming from "fans" like Mess when he was approaching Sittler's record.

From the very start to the very end, he could never win everyone over.

But who gives a ****, first ballot HOFer, baby. Stay mad, Mess.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:39 PM
CanadasTeam
.**.100th.**.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
Even after all he gave to the team, you should have seen the pouting and bitterness coming from "fans" like Mess when he was approaching Sittler's record.

Are you looking to get an infraction?

CanadasTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Garbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadasTeam View Post
Are you looking to get an infraction?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...4&postcount=44

That's our moderator.

Hilarious, right?

Old
03-09-2013, 10:49 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Needs Braces View Post
I think the thing people need to realize about Kessel is that his play influences the play of others. JVR has a ton of goals here, a lot of which are garbage goals from kessel shots. JVR and Bozak both have additional space simply because other teams focus on Kessel. Trade Kessel away and those two guys suddenly may not have the impact they are having now.

The reason Kessel is scoring less this year is that he has no Lupul to give him the puck for the shot from the circle. I'm noticing a fair bit that Phil is in the position to get a good shot but doesn't have the puck. His point totals are still decent (23 in 26 I believe) which indicates he is still making good plays. When Lupul comes back, I would expect his goals to assists ratio to increase as he'll probably have the puck more.
Certainly part of it. There a YT video of all of Kessels goals last year. It really highlights Lupul's impact. (on phone so I can't link to it)

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Tak7

Should we trade Kessel?

The answer to that is solely dependent on what you get in return for him.

I don't think you actively shop Kessel for any reason, unless he/his agent have hinted that they won't be signing in Toronto (we know that hasn't happened).

So - I voted no. I'm not a big fan of the guy; for the elite level player that he is, I have problems with his compete level and how soft he is on the puck. I don't expect him to throw thunderous body checks, but I hate how he sheepishly throws his stick into situations almost expecting contact/lose out on a puck battle, because he's too scared. The whole Boston thing doesn't sit well with me, and points to larger issues about intimidation and a desire to fight through checking.

But the fact is that he's an elite scorer. If this team has plans to be successful in the playoffs in the near future, you need players like Kessel.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
And why would that be?
We know what we are getting in Kessel...an elite offensive talent who can win you a game on any given night. There are not many players in the league that can provide offense like Kessel can. It is very unlikely that another team that would be looking to pick up a Kessel is going to want to give up a player who can put up similar numbers to Kessel unless the player in question wants out of town. What we would likely get for Kessel is young, less proven talent and/or draft picks which are a crap shoot.

Trading Kessel landed a big return for Boston but that only was because every star seemed to line up for Boston after the trade. A repeat of such a situation is highly unlikely. We would be best searved to keep the player we have and run with him.

Christ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:28 PM
anderson3133

Has anyone else noticed that the past couple of games Kessel has drove the net after going wide?

Also, he's drastically improving his "bag of tricks".

I loved the bank pass he made to himself today to get around the defender, his drive to the net, his lateral dekes, and he's been trying more one-timers.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:28 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post

The sad thing is when you watch his games the only guys stronger than him on the puck in the corners was Jagr and Lindros. He KO'd May by bumping into him. HE never got the respest or the wingers he deserved in this town. (I'm still pissed he didn't waive his NTC though)

He spit out teeth and got stitched up and came back that night. People used to mock him as looking like Frankenstein. He got that way by being a Warrior.

He is my 3rd Fave leaf. After the Man he was traded for and the man he took over as captain from.

He belongs amongst the greatest leafs of all-time.

But he never had an easy step in this town. And anyone who says so wasn't there.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote