HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bozak needs to get replaced.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Garbs

vCash: 500
If he can be had for a good price, why would you ever want to get rid of Bozak?

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
Sure, but as long as he plays in a 3rd line role I am good. I don't want to see him signed and keep playing with top liners. If he wants 4 or 5 mil then he can go take a hike.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:40 PM
skacore

Quote:
No he doesn't! Being good at faceoffs doesn't mean you belong on the #1 line.
People get too caught up in the whole "NUMBER 1 LINE" thing... fact is he's playing with Van Riemsdyk and Kessel, they like to shoot and they need the puck, Bozak wins battles, creates turnovers and dishes off the puck to them like he's supposed to. So yeah... he compliments them well.

skacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Garbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skacore View Post
People get too caught up in the whole "NUMBER 1 LINE" thing... fact is he's playing with Van Riemsdyk and Kessel, they like to shoot and they need the puck, Bozak wins battles, creates turnovers and dishes off the puck to them like he's supposed to. So yeah... he compliments them well.
Do me a favor. Go look at the last 10 years worth of Stanley Cup winners, and write down their top 2 line centremen at the time. See if you'd take Bozak over any of them.

People get caught up in the whole "NUMBER 1 LINE", because it's really friggin important who's down the middle of it.

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
This. I really don't know what you want anyone to say here OP. Is he in over his head? Yes. Is there a better option out there? No.
theres a better option within the organization.

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skacore View Post
No he does not. If he complimented them well, then he'd have a lot of assists right now. He's 7th in team scoring while playing on the first line. He's a minus 5 (kessel and JVR have better +minus). Our checking line is scoring as much as he is while stopping the other team's top line on a nightly basis. This is not a player who compliments Kessel and JVR well. Kessel is being forced to be the playmaker and JVR is scoring. Bozak is just the face off man. A center that compliments Kessel and JVR is one who draws other teams players to focus on him and still manages to dish the puck to Kessel and JVR. Bozak just collects secondary assists on his lucky days and gets the odd goal or two.

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:49 PM
mikeo1

Glad this thread was created, we only have like 20 of them every year.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:50 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
If Reimer played better tonight, we could have won 4-2 or 4-3.
Reimer thread is down the hall. We're crapping on Bozak in this one.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Reimer thread is down the hall. We're crapping on Bozak in this one.
Well, both Bozak and Reimer crapped the bed tonight!

They both played like poop in the the shootout!

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Phatic

Quote:
i think thats the point. its a contract year and he's been playing top line minutes for 3 years now. why shouldnt he ask for 4mil+
- jordan staal just signed for 6mil a season, now i know bozzies not staal, but if they use that as a measuring stick, why shouldnt he get ~5mil?

i think toronto needs to try kadri with kessel for a few games, and call up colborne to see what he brings. problem is, how do you do that without making bozak feel like he's on the way out?

Old
03-09-2013, 10:03 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatic View Post
i think thats the point. its a contract year and he's been playing top line minutes for 3 years now. why shouldnt he ask for 4mil+
- jordan staal just signed for 6mil a season, now i know bozzies not staal, but if they use that as a measuring stick, why shouldnt he get ~5mil?

i think toronto needs to try kadri with kessel for a few games, and call up colborne to see what he brings. problem is, how do you do that without making bozak feel like he's on the way out?
Staal put up points playing on the 3rd line while Bozak struggles to put up points playing with PPG wingers.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:10 PM
contour

Why don't we just kidnap a #1 C and force them to play with us. How about we force Sundin out of retirement.

It's so hard to get a #1 C without giving up a large majority of your core/prospects. We all know Bozak isn't suited for #1C, but he's the best we got. (Keep Kadri at the "#3C" since he's playing so well with MacA and Frattin).

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

vCash: 50
Did anyone else hear Kipper saying that he's going to get Grabovski money this year? I can't believe he'd think that

Thee Implication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Staal put up points playing on the 3rd line while Bozak struggles to put up points playing with PPG wingers.
way to bring nothing to the argument.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsToronto View Post
Did anyone else hear Kipper saying that he's going to get Grabovski money this year? I can't believe he'd think that
Good luck to the team that signs that one.

It's obvious to say that Bozak needs to be replaced or the Leafs need an upgrade at that spot but who is out there? It would be nice if there was some 6'5 Malkin clone hiding somewhere ready for the Leafs to pick him up but there isn't.

At this point I would take a guy who is a notch better offensively than Bozak but has the frame/strength to be effective on the boards to help Kessel spend more time in the other teams end.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:33 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
This guy is a glorified face off man. He has no business being on the top line. JVR and Kessel are usually the ones who get the points while Bozak gets ZERO. Kadri had that one shift with Kessel and MacA and they scored a goal (I know Kadri didn't get a point but he was on the ice traffic jamming the crease).

Why does Carlyle even let Bozak on the shoot out, let alone shoot first? With the leafs allowing him to stay on the first line these last few years he's now looking for a contract above his head and I'm afraid the leafs might just sign him for it. We really need that first line center badly and should send Bozak onto the third line or sell high on him now before he get's his 4-6 mill contract that he is looking for.

Exciting game tonight. Just wish Carlyle put someone else on instead of Bozak for the shootout.
Yep, he totally getting close to 6 million.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:34 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by contour View Post
Why don't we just kidnap a #1 C and force them to play with us. How about we force Sundin out of retirement.

It's so hard to get a #1 C without giving up a large majority of your core/prospects. We all know Bozak isn't suited for #1C, but he's the best we got. (Keep Kadri at the "#3C" since he's playing so well with MacA and Frattin).
And with an abundance of both depth and prospets why are you afraid to pull the trigger on a big deal?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:36 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Yep, he totally getting close to 6 million.
HEy how do make the face invisible?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Unfortunately Bozak has been a placeholder for years. Ever since Sundin left that spot has remained vacant. Whether it's Stajan or Bozak, we're trying to get by with third line centers in that role.

Unfortunately can't see extreme shuffling done mid season. If so I'd give Kadri his shot up there. Frankly I'd take the skill upgrade over the edge in faceoffs (which Kadri is improving on anyways). Transition Grabo's line back to an actual second line, paying him enough to perform that role. Then have Bozak be the faceoff machine for the shutdown line.

I wouldn't be against keeping him in a third line role, but years playing with Kessel could inflate his salary demands beyond what he should get paid.

Will agree that I'm tired of seeing him on that top line simply because he can win faceoffs. A lot is going to happen after that faceoff and would like someone there who can make the guys around him better, not getting carried along.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

He's our Steen, our Andy MacDonald, etc.

We need someone, and right now, he HAS to be that someone.

It's either him, or sell half the team off. I'd rather be patient, and let him do what he's doing, which is ADEQUATE.

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:55 PM
AvroArrow

The Grabo line obviously isnt being broken up and is considered our second line. The other two centers - Kadri / Bozak . Kadri is without a doubt more skilled, but as much as you downplayed it faceoffs are actually huge factor and Kadri just cant win em. I think if he worked on that part of his game he could be a temporary no.1 center.

If Bozak is traded, what do we get in return ? it's not like we can go around offering tyler bozak for getzlaf. Yeah we do need a no.1 center but it's not that simple. If we realistically wanna get a top line center we'll be giving up something like Bozak + Mac / Kule + 2nd round pick at the minimum. We do need a top line center, but for the right price. trying to trade for one now would most likely eliminate all our depth.

AvroArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:56 PM
beleaf67

I would give Kardri a shot, but he is playing so well with Mac and Frattin.
Maybe give another shot at Grabo and play McCLement or Colbourn for 3rd line duties? I would really think about trading Bozak if the right offer comes..

beleaf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:17 PM
bfire

We use him for the same reason Pitts uses Dupuis on their top line. We don't have any other options at the moment and too acquire a big upgrade would cost assests. We should be patient and realize he's a stop gap. I really wouldn't mind trying Grabovski though on the top unit. You can see when he has the puck he looks very skilled, but whats he really gonna do when he has two guys with caveman hands on his line? Bozak on the shutdown line would help win the draws and help cycle the puck making the other teams top lines tired.

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:25 PM
number72

The problem is bigger then Bozak as that first line is a defensive black hole. Bozak is not great but nor are his linemates at defensive zone coverage. Ideally we need someone like a big bodied Getzlaf but even a Bergeron would work. And those kind of players are not available come UFA time. The players available are B/C grade center Bozak, Jokinen, Connolly. There was one really good center in Richards that made it free agency.

The trade market is the how to find that center (carter, staal, richards etc) have been traded in the recent past but I'm not sure we are in a position to sell the future to aquire that player.

This all seems to lead to internal #1C development though aside from kadri (and he is not there yet and may never be the ideal center for kessel) the leafs still have a big hole with no real plan to address this.

What does this mean for Bozak - probably the leafs can make a sideways move with Weiss or retain bozak. And this is one of my issues with "the trade" as there is still no plan to address the most important role - the #1C. Maybe kadri will be the future answer with kadri/kessel in a sheltered role like sedin/sedin (but this is still some time away). However that creates a big hole on whatever that third line as it will no longer be sheltered.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:33 PM
X66

Get rid of Bozak?

Maybe off the top line, but he'd be a great player to keep in the organization.

X66 is offline   Reply With Quote