Eastern Europe Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan

Latvian hockey on the rise?

Old
03-01-2013, 09:32 AM
BalticWarrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Kaspers Daugavins seem to be more regular now in Ottawa 4'th line and got his second assist of the season in Ottawa's 1-2 OT defeat to Boston.
Yeah he had a pretty good chance on that breakaway,but still point is a point.I really have the most respect for him of all our players that even though he may not be our most skilled player he is with the strongest will,proving that by hard work you can achieve alot.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Yeah he had a pretty good chance on that breakaway,but still point is a point.I really have the most respect for him of all our players that even though he may not be our most skilled player he is with the strongest will,proving that by hard work you can achieve alot.
Yeah - being a grinder can also make for a good career and they are always needed when teams are in trouble.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
That's simply a wild speculation, which junior player outgrew LAČ and then ended career because of the lack of opportunities. Go and find one! I can easily build a case that playing against pro's at the age of 18 turned Indrašis into what he is today.
It's very hard to answer such questions, as there are a lot of other things we have to take into account- player's own motivation, obstacles etc. And nobody has really ended a career, if we wanted to recreate Latvian league tomorrow with 6 teams, managers would just have to call around- there are numerous players in the leagues around Europe. Latvian league star Želubovskis (btw could be one of such examples) is in Ukraine, eldest Zembergs in British league, Brahmanis in Kazakhstan etc. etc. Another question that can be asked- which of the guys achieved something in hockey from developing in Latvian league? Eldest Džeriņš (Guntis) could be the best case, though something happened with him and his first bright season in Slovakia didn't amount to further development. Cipulis is in KHL only because of Dinamo Rīga. I'd say that Miķelis is a milionaire in Lokomotiv today too because of Dinamo Rīga. It's hard to imagine that somebody would try out a small 24 years old ''nothing that special'' forward from BOL in other KHL teams...

Quote:
Strong Latvian league can easily substitute MHL and turn into something like VHL itself and if some player outgrows the league, then he can join Dinamo in the K. The time saved from not flying around Europe to play Poprads, Chisinau's and Voskresensks could be better used for training.
Of course, but at the moment no one is interested in Latvian league project. And I don't believe Dinamo Rīga killed Latvian league... Did it kill Daugavpils hockey, or hockey in Ogre?? It's interesting to see when these teams disappeared and that happened right when the crisis hit our country... It's terrible to imagine what would happen with all the Meijas, Indrašis and Sotnieks if there was no Dinamo and the league collapsed anyway (as D-pils and Ogre would have no money and you can't play a league with 2-3 teams)

Quote:
So that our most dominant forwards like Homjakovs, Golovkovs, Lipsbergs can taste some pro hockey early just like Swiss kids do, which schooled our team just a week ago.
If you compare our youth development with Switzerland then I have nothing to say... Hey, maybe your next argument will be about how we do not need MHL because Swedes play pro hockey already at this age... or Russians... or Canada. Maybe a better example would be Denmark whose top talent played in pro league last year, they were on average older and we still beat them.

Quote:
Also chance to play in fron of local town could persuade Egle's and Girgensons' of our hockey to stay in country for longer
Egle had all the chances in the world to play in his home town Liepāja. Why did he leave then??

Quote:
so our U18 league doesn't get weaker year by year.
Our U18 league is a joke because we lack players. Because we have (better to say had) just a few hockey schools in year 2002 or so when these kids started to train. This is the reason why it's not that good and even if so Golovkovs came straight from that league (plus Belarus U18) to MHL A and plays solid hockey, so it can prepare players for major junior (which I believe MHL A is).

Quote:
Do Lipmans have the stones to forbid all our teams (maybe except Dinamo) to play abroad and somehow find those missing sponsors and revive hockey in Ogre, D-Pils? Build new rinks in Jurmala, Rezekne, **** anywhere.
As I'm from Rēzekne I can say a rink will be built. Yeah, I know such talks have been around for years but today we have the plan for Olympic center and the municipality has really managed to build some big projects, so I hope the rink will be built along with new stadium etc. If the government backs it, it's also a question. And there is arena in Jūrmala
http://www.sporto.lv/raksts/uz_majoriem_slidot

We can talk about new arenas but there's barely any municipalities left that can support them. Jēkabpils maybe? As I said, Rēzekne has plans... Others are just too small or not wealthy enough. Recently in Volvo arena in Riga there was third rink built and realistically I believe new rinks, except for maybe Jēkabpils and Rēzekne in the current economy can only be built in Riga. After all nowadays metro Riga is about half of Latvia's population (and 2/3 of GDP).

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Latgale_fan

To continue about Dinamo Rīga's unhealthy impact on Latvian hockey and destroying the league. All they have taken is pretty much Rīga 2000 financial support base, there are no really significant Latvian sponsors in the team. Yeah they are responsible for the demise of R2000 and later Dinamo Juniors in BOL, but instead they created an MHL club and MHL B club (I would still like that Dinamo would have its own farm club in Belarus league). Other than that Ogre and Daugavpils collapsed simply because of crisis and with the economy improving I can't see why your dream of Liepāja, Ogre, Daugavpils, 2 Riga teams say and current MHL team, as once LSPA forming a Latvian league cannot happen. Not in this climate though.

And if we look at U12 Dinamo's own youth system results so far, I believe no comments....

HS Rīga I - Dinamo 01 1:8
Dinamo 01 - HS Rīga I 9:0
SK Liepājas Metalurgs - Dinamo 01 4:18
Prizma/Pārdaugava 02 - Dinamo 01 5:11
Dinamo 01 - Dinamo 02 9:1
Dinamo 01 - Jelgavas LSS 13:0
Dinamo 01 - Brocēnu NBJSS 9:2

These are the results of top U12 league in the country, 9 teams, two of them Dinamo and the top one kicks everyone's *****. In 4-5 years they might not play in Latvia anymore or with this age group but can you blame them for such results. And it's not the fact that the championship is worse than it was, just the fact that Dinamo is better than others.

Also just in 2009 there were 14 teams in U12 group and 14 in U10 group, today 21 teams in U12 and 26!! in U10. Just patience, my friend...

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:47 PM
preiliboy
Rookie User

Here is New Latvian Talent from America

jklkjml

Last edited by preiliboy: 03-12-2013 at 05:09 PM.
preiliboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:26 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by preiliboy View Post
Josef Kuzmenko is a Latvian kid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdo8JECzH68
Doesn't really sound Latvian, google have never heard about him and even LHF shows no trace of this kid. His birthplace might eventually be Latvia, but to call this specimen Latvian prospect? No chance in hell.

ozo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Purple hippo

Quote:
Doesn't really sound Latvian, google have never heard about him and even LHF shows no trace of this kid. His birthplace might eventually be Latvia, but to call this specimen Latvian prospect? No chance in hell.
That was my first thought as well, but I tried searching for him, the most I could find was some random scouting website that says he plays for Kent Valley (cant find him anywhere on their website) but it also says he was born in Seattle, Washington, he just has a DR jersey in his profile picture. Maybe he wants to be Latvian...

Purple hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:50 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenskaRiga View Post
That was my first thought as well, but I tried searching for him, the most I could find was some random scouting website that says he plays for Kent Valley (cant find him anywhere on their website) but it also says he was born in Seattle, Washington, he just has a DR jersey in his profile picture. Maybe he wants to be Latvian...
Yeah i wouldnt look into this kid too deeply,hes probably a russian who was born in latvia and then moved to states.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:54 AM
BalticWarrior

Well,Kulda is back in Winnipeg so that means we now have two guys in NHL (and Girgensons in AHL,who could possibly be called up next year)

Old
03-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Justinov

Shame that Daugavins didn't score on that shootout move....would have been a highlight Latvian goal for many years!

Old
03-12-2013, 10:47 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Shame that Daugavins didn't score on that shootout move....would have been a highlight Latvian goal for many years!
Yeah,but it was a great attempt and i have to give him respect for trying something like that in NHL.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Yeah,but it was a great attempt and i have to give him respect for trying something like that in NHL.
He certainly got into the TV-station highlights even if it was a miss. I think most people actually hoped he would have scored, so it could have been included with the best and most creative shootout goals.
It's a shame since it looks like a one-time trick that all goalies know now.

Linus Omark in an NT training match for Sweden against Switzerland is still one of my favourites!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmYtYSdrt94

Old
03-22-2013, 09:49 AM
BalticWarrior

Looks like media has been starting to pay attention to Latvian league a bit in recent days,they will even show a game on national TV (although not live) and there is even a bit of interest by the fans.Interesting.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Justinov

Arturs Kulda has been signed by Winnipeg Jets from Sibir Novosibirsk.

Kulda is signed for the remainder of the season and will earn a pro-rated $550,000, according to Sportsnet's Chris Johnston.

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...njured-reserve

Old
03-24-2013, 10:06 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Arturs Kulda has been signed by Winnipeg Jets from Sibir Novosibirsk.

Kulda is signed for the remainder of the season and will earn a pro-rated $550,000, according to Sportsnet's Chris Johnston.

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...njured-reserve
Few days late Justinov

Old
03-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Few days late Justinov
Yep but I first discovered it now!
So what do you think about Kulda talking an end of season contract with Winnipeg (seem to have good chance of making playoffs)!

Old
03-24-2013, 10:21 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Yep but I first discovered it now!
So what do you think about Kulda talking an end of season contract with Winnipeg (seem to have good chance of making playoffs)!
I dont like it. I want Kulda on Latvian NT roster,but it looks like that wont happen,so we lose another important piece of our team,just adding to my pessimism before wc`s.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Justinov

Quote:
I dont like it. I want Kulda on Latvian NT roster,but it looks like that wont happen,so we lose another important piece of our team,just adding to my pessimism before wc`s.
You are starting to think "norwegian". NT before NHL

- and suddenly out of nowhere Denmark got another possible NHL player: Markus Lauridsen (the younger undrafted Lauridsen brother) has signed a two-year entry-level-contract with Colorado from AHL (Lake Erie Monsters).
One less for the world championship....where it's Belarus and Slovenia again and off course Norway (hip hip hurrah). That could seriously end bad for us.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:44 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
You are starting to think "norwegian". NT before NHL

- and suddenly out of nowhere Denmark got another possible NHL player: Markus Lauridsen (the younger undrafted Lauridsen brother) has signed a two-year entry-level-contract with Colorado from AHL (Lake Erie Monsters).
One less for the world championship....where it's Belarus and Slovenia again and off course Norway (hip hip hurrah). That could seriously end bad for us.
With all due respect,Justinov Latvian fans have way more reasons to complain about our group,i just hope we dont relegate
Martins Karsums -injured unknown if he will be at WC,most likely not(third year in a row)
Edgars Masalskis also injured,but will probably be in the wcs
Mikelis Redlihs- injury,dont know how serious
Daugavins-NHL
Kulda-NHL
Bartulis-Injured.
Were basically ****ed.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Justinov

Quote:
With all due respect,Justinov Latvian fans have way more reasons to complain about our group,i just hope we dont relegate
Martins Karsums -injured unknown if he will be at WC,most likely not(third year in a row)
Edgars Masalskis also injured,but will probably be in the wcs
Mikelis Redlihs- injury,dont know how serious
Daugavins-NHL
Kulda-NHL
Bartulis-Injured.
Were basically ****ed.
Well maybe we can get the joint 2017 WC.......even if we both go down this year

Well you managed the olympic qual so it's not all hopeless. For WC it will be against Germany, France and Austria who goes down. Normally Austria is the weakest team but if they get both Grabner and Vanek over to WC they wont be easy to beat!

Old
03-24-2013, 10:56 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Well maybe we can get the joint 2017 WC.......even if we both go down this year

Well you managed the olympic qual so it's not all hopeless. For WC it will be against Germany, France and Austria who goes down. Normally Austria is the weakest team but if they get both Grabner and Vanek over to WC they wont be easy to beat!
Yeah but it was complete roster and everybody wants to play in the OG`s,NOBODY was missing(except Zemgus and Daug) i have this feeling that some of our guys are not motivated for WC`s. Its a little weird when a guy gets injured 3(!!) times in a row and cant go to wcs.
Our guys should look up to norwegians who arent too tired or for whatever else reason unmotivated.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Yeah but it was complete roster and everybody wants to play in the OG`s,NOBODY was missing(except Zemgus and Daug) i have this feeling that some of our guys are not motivated for WC`s. Its a little weird when a guy gets injured 3(!!) times in a row and cant go to wcs.
Our guys should look up to norwegians who arent too tired or for whatever else reason unmotivated.
Maybe this thread should be named "the rise and fall of the latvian hockey empire"? instead of just "latvian hockey on the rise?"
As always it will be very even and who knows other teams can also get key injuries or stars that don't come to the WC.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:02 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Maybe this thread should be named "the rise and fall of the latvian hockey empire"? instead of just "latvian hockey on the rise?"
As always it will be very even and who knows other teams can also get key injuries or stars that don't come to the WC.
We can always get lucky,thats what i`m hoping for

Old
03-25-2013, 08:46 AM
DrStrangelife

Quote:
Really? A feeling? Didn't Sprukts and M. Rēdlihs openly declare, before the last WC, that they aren't motivated to play for their NT due to the potential injuries that might bring their KHL season in jeopardy?

Wasn't it obvious that most of our players were absolutely unmotivated on the ice last WC? Can't believe your forgetting about this???

One of the players who seemed to give some ****, was Daugavins (I'm not implying that he was therefore good, made some terrible mistakes) and guess what? < he plays in the NHL.
I much rather would see all Latvian players play in the NHL, even if they miss some WC's due to PO's, but when they do come to the WC they give their best instead of the pathetic performances our KHL guys showed.

I can't wait when our current roster will finally be replaced by all our new prospects. (Ofc assuming that they will be motivated)

DrStrangelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:54 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangelife View Post
Really? A feeling? Didn't Sprukts and M. Rēdlihs openly declare, before the last WC, that they aren't motivated to play for their NT due to the potential injuries that might bring their KHL season in jeopardy?

Wasn't it obvious that most of our players were absolutely unmotivated on the ice last WC? Can't believe your forgetting about this???

One of the players who seemed to give some ****, was Daugavins (I'm not implying that he was therefore good, made some terrible mistakes) and guess what? < he plays in the NHL.
I much rather would see all Latvian players play in the NHL, even if they miss some WC's due to PO's, but when they do come to the WC they give their best instead of the pathetic performances our KHL guys showed.

I can't wait when our current roster will finally be replaced by all our new prospects. (Ofc assuming that they will be motivated)
Yeah but for example Indrasis,when asked if he will participate in this years wc`s he said that in his mind theres not a shadow of a doubt,although he plays with dinamo riga,itsn ot all one sided.