HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Penguins vs. Leafs in a Pond Hockey Game

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 10:45 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Blows my mind all the hatred for Orpik. Seriously, he's not that bad.

First PP goal tonight was bad, i'll give you that. but really would you rather play Eaton for 23 minutes a night?
Some of us might not mind playing Despres 18 minutes and Eaton 15 minutes and moving Orpik for a RW for Sid. But, please, do continue about Orpik's virtues . . .

Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:

First PP goal tonight was bad, i'll give you that. but really would you rather play Eaton for 23 minutes a night?
He's probably the most underrated skater in the league, and it's his saving grace.

He has zero hockey sense. ZERO. I've seen Hal Gill make better outlets.

Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

I would rather have 85% of old Orpik, which is what I thought we'd get this year after the long layoff and time for him to heal / rest up / etc. I don't hate the guy for my part but he is steadily declining IMO. With Letang and Geno's contracts coming up, not unreasonable to think about trading him while we can still get a really solid return.

Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

It was a great game. Game against Pens are always fun. I remember last season, where we had Leafs/Pens on back-to-back games. It was a split, but the first game was 5-4 Pens in SO We got the second game though. So I am expecting the trend to continue this time too.

Not back to back games this time but nevertheless, should be fun again on Thursday.

Watching Crosby play is always entertaining.

Old
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
All I know is BB's saucer pass was not only far, but HIGH. Yet, it did not bounce. Not easy to do. Reminded me of when I bought the Guy Lafleur "How to play hockey" video cassette when I was a kid.
I have that tape too! Brutally awful generic 80's theme music, but hey it's Guy Lafleur!

Old
03-09-2013, 10:47 PM
PensFanSince1989

I've been very unimpressed with Sutter so far. I miss Staal.

Old
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
He's probably the most underrated skater in the league, and it's his saving grace.

He has zero hockey sense. ZERO. I've seen Hal Gill make better outlets.
Oh Gill has hockey sense. Lots of it. He would never be able to survive for this long without it. He may be the slowest player ever.

Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

A fun stat: This is 3rd time in 3 seasons that Leafs/Pens are going to play twice within a week. In each of these years, Penguins have won the first meeting in shootout, and Toronto has won the second game.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:48 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I would rather have 85% of old Orpik, which is what I thought we'd get this year after the long layoff and time for him to heal / rest up / etc. I don't hate the guy for my part but he is steadily declining IMO. With Letang and Geno's contracts coming up, not unreasonable to think about trading him while we can still get a really solid return.
Guys decline. It happens. Fact is, he's worth more to the Pens as trade bait than he is on the ice. But, let's be honest . . . zero chance Shero even considers it. Too sentimental/reactive with guys like that.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
I've been very unimpressed with Sutter so far. I miss Staal.
He was great last Saturday night. Since then, meh again.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Candyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Some of us might not mind playing Despres 18 minutes and Eaton 15 minutes and moving Orpik for a RW for Sid. But, please, do continue about Orpik's virtues . . .
I'm not going to sit here and say he's the best D-man ever or any of that crap. but I still believe he's the best option of our current available ones.

That being said I still feel better about him in front of the net on PK than anyone else, though Martin is close. Certainly not Nisky, Letang, or Engellend.... Maybe try Despres in there.

Old
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
A fun stat: This is 3rd time in 3 seasons that Leafs/Pens are going to play twice within a week. In each of these years, Penguins have won the first meeting in shootout, and Toronto has won the second game.
Don't the teams always win on the road, too? Seems to me we can't beat Toronto at home, only at the ACC.

Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

The D-man "press box" rotation shouldn't be between Eaton - Despres - Bortuzzo.

I still don't understand why Despres got 12:00 of ice time, 2 minutes less than his "partner"

I'd like to see a game of

Despres - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Bortuzzo - Eaton

Wouldn't hate Orpik sitting out, either, but I don't wanna get yelled at.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Guys decline. It happens. Fact is, he's worth more to the Pens as trade bait than he is on the ice. But, let's be honest . . . zero chance Shero even considers it. Too sentimental/reactive with guys like that.
Yeah. He wasn't like that before, though. Colby Armstrong was a tough player to move, but he did. Maxime Talbot was a tough guy to let go, but he did. Ditto Ryan Malone. Ditto Scuderi and Gill.

Lately though, he seems to listen too much to what Disco wants.

Old
KHstrike

I like seeing the wins pile up, but as we've seen the last 3 years, this poor defensive coverage will only lead to a first round exit. They

They really have no line to slow the game down and hit.

Old
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Orpik hasn't been nearly as effective. His ability to read the play has been brutal.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Bennett is also the right fit for the Malkin line. I've always felt that our second line should be offense, offense and more offense. We have enough size on the line and all three are offensive players. Their job is to score and create chances and keep the other team pinned in their end. It's perfect.

AND, if Geno's out, just keep it together and slide Jeffrey up between them. It won't be a complete black hole, as opposed to something like say Bennett-Sutter-Despres or something like that.
It is something most people probably don't care about, but BB has made three or four area passes to Malkin while he was driving the net, and tonight he put a perfect saucer from way up high off the boards that blew my mind.

For anyone who never played the game, that **** is ridiculous. It is extremely difficult to make those plays and BB is making it look easy. Malkin knows he will get it there and he is now driving the post to get the redirect. If you don't trust your guy, you usually bail on those plays and look for a dump or make yourself an outlet.

The play he made on Crosby's goal was sweet also. He jumped off the bench, quickly moved the puck to Letang, then drove the far post and pulled the strongside defender off Letang... This created a missed assignment from the pivot trying to grab Letang and Crosby was left all alone in the slot.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
I'm not going to sit here and say he's the best D-man ever or any of that crap. but I still believe he's the best option of our current available ones.

That being said I still feel better about him in front of the net on PK than anyone else, though Martin is close. Certainly not Nisky, Letang, or Engellend.... Maybe try Despres in there.
I must have missed Orpik's work around his own net on the PK tonight (or pretty much all season).

Old
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post

I still don't understand why Despres got 12:00 of ice time, 2 minutes less than his "partner"

Despres - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Bortuzzo - Eaton

Yeah, that is not happening. Deryk Engelland stays in the line-up. We are a team that lacks toughness, and Mark Eaton is not the answer.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post

Despres - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Bortuzzo - Eaton

I'd like to see something like:

Eaton-Letang
Niskanen-Martin
Despres-Bortuzzo

Spread the minutes around more. Eventually, trade Orpik and Niskanen at the deadline, and bring in a UFA-to-be-stay-at-home D-man like a Douglas Murray to replace Niskanen/Orpik next to Martin.

Start using Engelland as an enforcer.

I know, wishful thinking.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:55 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Yeah, that is not happening. Deryk Engelland stays in the line-up. We are a team that lacks toughness, and Mark Eaton is not the answer.
I would rather discuss the defense and not the value of toughness in preventing pucks from hitting the net for a team near the bottom of the league in goals against, if that's okay.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:55 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
It is something most people probably don't care about, but BB has made three or four area passes to Malkin while he was driving the net, and tonight he put a perfect saucer from way up high off the boards that blew my mind.

For anyone who never played the game, that **** is ridiculous. It is extremely difficult to make those plays and BB is making it look easy. Malkin knows he will get it there and he is now driving the post to get the redirect. If you don't trust your guy, you usually bail on those plays and look for a dump or make yourself an outlet.

The play he made on Crosby's goal was sweet also. He jumped off the bench, quickly moved the puck to Letang, then drove the far post and pulled the strongside defender off Letang... This created a missed assignment from the pivot trying to grab Letang and Crosby was left all alone in the slot.
Jiggy, I knew he'd have that kind of offensive instinct, but c'mon, are you saying that you expected him to be winning his share of board battles and to be this solid defensively, solid enough that Malkin feels comfortable again taking chances and being aggressive offensively?

Old
03-09-2013, 10:56 PM
JTG

I am more impressed with Beau defensively than anything he does offensively.

This summer, I'd love to see him do some more skating work, and just refine that part of his game. Everything else is there.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:57 PM
mpp9

Ill hope Orpik can turn it around, but good god is he playing garbage hockey.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:58 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I am more impressed with Beau defensively than anything he does offensively.

This summer, I'd love to see him do some more skating work, and just refine that part of his game. Everything else is there.
YES, YES, and YES. A little skating work and 10 pounds this summer please.

Closed Thread