HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Penguins vs. Leafs in a Pond Hockey Game

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Jag68Sid87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
It is something most people probably don't care about, but BB has made three or four area passes to Malkin while he was driving the net, and tonight he put a perfect saucer from way up high off the boards that blew my mind.

For anyone who never played the game, that **** is ridiculous. It is extremely difficult to make those plays and BB is making it look easy. Malkin knows he will get it there and he is now driving the post to get the redirect. If you don't trust your guy, you usually bail on those plays and look for a dump or make yourself an outlet.

The play he made on Crosby's goal was sweet also. He jumped off the bench, quickly moved the puck to Letang, then drove the far post and pulled the strongside defender off Letang... This created a missed assignment from the pivot trying to grab Letang and Crosby was left all alone in the slot.
He is exactly what we wanted Steve Sullivan to be on that line. He's what people envisioned when they wanted Ray Whitney. Except Bennett has youth, upside, size.

I'm just praying they're not currently showcasing him. I wouldn't put it past this organization to be showcasing Bennett right now. I hate to even bring it up, because the thought infuriates me.

Old
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Jamie McGinn and Patrick Bordeleau are the answer. Colorado desperately needs a defenseman. We will give them a package around Matt Niskanen + forward prospect/roster player + a 2nd round draft pick. We would need to overpay, but I would do it.

Old
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Bennett looks better away from the puck here than he ever did in Wilkes-Barre.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:59 PM
cashisking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
I've been very unimpressed with Sutter so far. I miss Staal.
The CKS line was pretty much invisible tonight. The best of them was Kennedy but he has no hands whatsoever.. but at least he competed and took no penalties.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Jiggy, and I'll give you props for two things:

1. As a Plan C, if the prices are too high, Kunitz-Sid-MacArthur would have a nice little ring to it.

2. I didn't think BB would roll with Geno so well, especially with Neal's feet moving consistency issues, but he's been better than I'd hoped. In terms of the little things, he's kind of playing the Talbot role for Geno . . . not a banger, but he somehow wins his battles and knows when to support, when to give space, and where to be. Only linemates I've seen get Geno instantly on the level BB does are Malone, Talbot, and Kulie.
- C- Mac is a good player. He and Kadri are tearing it up. Not sure he gets moved now. I'm on the Stempniak train.

- I just had a feeling he was ready and his craftiness and playmaking would really help Malkin/Neal. I knew he was a battler, which is why the talk he was soft was.... Odd. I wasn't sure if he could handle board play at this level yet, but my concerns are easing game by game.

Old
mpp9

Our bottom six aside from Sutter sucks. That's a big problem.

Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
YES, YES, and YES. A little skating work and 10 pounds this summer please.
And a quicker release. Taking way to long to get gimme one timers off.

Old
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Jamie McGinn and Patrick Bordeleau are the answer. Colorado desperately needs a defenseman. We will give them a package around Matt Niskanen + forward prospect/roster player + a 2nd round draft pick. We would need to overpay, but I would do it.
I doubt the Avs deal either player. They seem to like playing Bordeleau every night, and in the Western Conference you need size and toughness. And Colorado doesn't have enough of it either.

As for McGinn, they stole him from San Jose. I doubt they're interested in seeing if we can do the same.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Our bottom six aside from Sutter sucks. That's a big problem.
Definitely.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:03 PM
ComplianceBuyout

+ Beau-ner

Old
03-09-2013, 10:03 PM
KIRK

Quote:
- C- Mac is a good player. He and Kadri are tearing it up. Not sure he gets moved now. I'm on the Stempniak train.

- I just had a feeling he was ready and his craftiness and playmaking would really help Malkin/Neal. I knew he was a battler, which is why the talk he was soft was.... Odd. I wasn't sure if he could handle board play at this level yet, but my concerns are easing game by game.
I think the guy from Toronto who could be had now (and especially soon with Lupul returning) is Kulemin. Problem is the ideal spot for him has been taken . . .

Old
03-09-2013, 10:04 PM
HotCoffey

I'm over the excuses for Orpik, we're going to ship a D man before the deadline and it needs to be him. If the choices are lose Orpik or lose Despres, Bort, Nisky, Letang your answer needs to be Orpik. Sadly I think we all know it won't be.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Sutter16

Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy were not good tonight. Letang was just flying out there. Despres made some nice plays in his own zone. Crosby was great,again. Malkin i really really hope he's OK. Even though he's not playing to the level he was last year, he's still a great player and HUGE part to this team.

Old
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I doubt the Avs deal either player. They seem to like playing Bordeleau every night, and in the Western Conference you need size and toughness. And Colorado doesn't have enough of it either.

As for McGinn, they stole him from San Jose. I doubt they're interested in seeing if we can do the same.
I think Colorado has been scratching Patrick Bordeleau (not completely sure), but that is why I said that Pittsburgh would need to overpay.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
And a quicker release. Taking way to long to get gimme one timers off.
Yeah . . . also wonder to what degree the surgery-- and yes it was a while ago-- is affecting the release.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Candyman

Quote:
I think the guy from Toronto who could be had now (and especially soon with Lupul returning) is Kulemin. Problem is the ideal spot for him has been taken . . .
Not at all.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Adams-Vitale-Kennedy/Jeffrey

Old
03-09-2013, 10:07 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotCoffey View Post
I'm over the excuses for Orpik, we're going to ship a D man before the deadline and it needs to be him. If the choices are lose Orpik or lose Despres, Bort, Nisky, Letang your answer needs to be Orpik. Sadly I think we all know it won't be.
Orpik still has enough of a reputation to get something really good via trade. But, as you said, it won't be. I fully expect Shero to sign Orpik to a sentimental contract extension this summer.

Old
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter16 View Post
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy were not good tonight. Letang was just flying out there. Despres made some nice plays in his own zone. Crosby was great,again. Malkin i really really hope he's OK. Even though he's not playing to the level he was last year, he's still a great player and HUGE part to this team.
Letang was flying, but he wasn't good.

Old
Hello Newman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
I've been very unimpressed with Sutter so far. I miss Staal.
To be fair, He's been playing with complete scrubs rite now. Cooke is just awful this year. and Kennedy hasn't been much better.

He's a beast defensively though, saved a goal today.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:08 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Not at all.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Adams-Vitale-Kennedy/Jeffrey
I love Beau-ner with Geno, but I wholeheartedly agree that IF RS can't go with the high prices for guys for Sid, then this works for the first two lines. I just didn't want to be the first to say it.

I even think that third line would be o'k. **** that fourth line.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Jiggy, I knew he'd have that kind of offensive instinct, but c'mon, are you saying that you expected him to be winning his share of board battles and to be this solid defensively, solid enough that Malkin feels comfortable again taking chances and being aggressive offensively?
Well like I said in my post above his ability to handle NHLers on the boards was my biggest concern. I just had a good feeling he was ready, physically because of Kadri, who is weaker than him IMHO.

I already knew he was a heady player in his own end, but I didn't know how long it would take for him to "get it".

I'm just waiting for him to be confident enough to dangle the puck. That will be fun.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:10 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
I love Beau-ner with Geno, but I wholeheartedly agree that IF RS can't go with the high prices for guys for Sid, then this works for the first two lines. I just didn't want to be the first to say it.

I even think that third line would be o'k. **** that fourth line.
St.Louis would have done Stewart for Orpik in a heartbeat last year.

Now they would just wonder if Orpik had a heart beat.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
He is exactly what we wanted Steve Sullivan to be on that line. He's what people envisioned when they wanted Ray Whitney. Except Bennett has youth, upside, size.

I'm just praying they're not currently showcasing him. I wouldn't put it past this organization to be showcasing Bennett right now. I hate to even bring it up, because the thought infuriates me.
I doubt he is being showcased. It is more about running out of options.

I mean, they had Tanner Glass with Malkin... Think about that for a minute.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:12 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Well like I said in my post above his ability to handle NHLers on the boards was my biggest concern. I just had a good feeling he was ready, physically because of Kadri, who is weaker than him IMHO.

I already knew he was a heady player in his own end, but I didn't know how long it would take for him to "get it".

I'm just waiting for him to be confident enough to dangle the puck. That will be fun.
A very little bit here and there, but you can see the confidence growing.

Question: How do you think BB would look for Sid and Kunitz? IMO, better, because he wouldn't be forced by the other winger to do an unfair share of the physical work.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:13 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
St.Louis would have done Stewart for Orpik in a heartbeat last year.

Now they would just wonder if Orpik had a heart beat.
So, fine, we'll add in Kennedy . . .

Closed Thread