HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you fire Laviolette? (Philadelphia Daily News article dated March 12, 2013)

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 09:44 PM
FlyerSithLord

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Same age and the best coach I can remember as well. Also Tinicum? Not far from me . But I think the first person to go is Lavy. I think we should wait till the off-season or just after the trade deadline to figure out if we should get rid of the GM.
lol yeah, been in Lester about 8 years now.

I wouldn't mind waiting until the offseason, but I really don't want Holmgren running the "re-tooling"

Old
03-09-2013, 10:12 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I think you have to wait for Ed Snider to pass away before you see a cleaning of the house. If Holmgren is let go, he will be replaced by another ex-Flyer. I like continuity, but I think there is something to be said for a fresh voice.
It's a shame too, because Ed has done a ton for hockey, especially in Philadelphia. But, his way of thinking just doesn't get it done anymore.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:30 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
It's a shame too, because Ed has done a ton for hockey, especially in Philadelphia. But, his way of thinking just doesn't get it done anymore.

What is his way of thinking? People keep bring up these remarks of "Flyers hockey being failure". The only problem has been lack of reliable goaltending.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:36 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
What is his way of thinking? People keep bring up these remarks of "Flyers hockey being failure". The only problem has been lack of reliable goaltending.
Nope. This team is much more than Henrik Lundquist away from Stanley Cup at this time.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:39 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
It's been a huge problem, but not the only one. The defense hasn't been all that good for a couple years, the offense is widly inconsistent.

For years they weren't high on european players, especially russians.

They never seem to look at the big picture. Their win now mentality is admirable but has crippled this teams young depth many times over the years.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:44 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
It's been a huge problem, but not the only one. The defense hasn't been all that good for a couple years, the offense is widly inconsistent.

For years they weren't high on european players, especially russians.

They never seem to look at the big picture. Their win now mentality is admirable but has crippled this teams young depth many times over the years.
Ahh gotcha.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:50 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
I don't understand that either, look at L.A. and Boston. They play Flyers hockey.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:54 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I don't understand that either, look at L.A. and Boston. They play Flyers hockey.
No they don't. They have physical but talented players. We run out stiffs like Sestito, Shelley and Rinaldo and treat them like they are gods.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:57 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
No they don't. They have physical but talented players. We run out stiffs like Sestito, Shelley and Rinaldo and treat them like they are gods.
Hartnell, Simmonds, Pronger (when he played) aren't talented players?

Old
03-09-2013, 11:02 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothless Couts View Post
Hartnell, Simmonds, Pronger (when he played) aren't talented players?
Sure. But Snider, Clarke, and Holmgren feel the need to have 1 or 2 stiffs that do nothing but "provide energy" (i.e. take dumb penalties).

The Flyers have been shorthanded 105 times this year, worst in the league The Bruins and Kings are both under 90, middle of the pack.

You can't win the NHL without discipline, and the Flyers have too many players that have none.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Fire Shero*

Holmgren and lavy should both be fired

Old
03-09-2013, 11:04 PM
MountainHawk

The player with the 2nd most minor penalties in hockey just got a hugely overpriced extension from our GM. They just don't value the right things in the front office.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:06 PM
FLYERSFAN18

We have a some very talented forwards. We need to bring in a coach that will play a defensive system or at least a more balanced system. The only year Lavys system actually worked was 09/10 when we were able to run 3 scoring lines and one great shutdown line. The two seasons after that I could see this system take its toll on this team. Against Boston and against New Jersey they looked completely gased. Yes, both of those teams were better than the Flyers those seasons regardless, but the up tempo system seems to take its toll by the end of the season

Old
03-09-2013, 11:06 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Yeah, almost every team has a goon. These guys play on the 4th line, that's their role. And yes, they do. The Bruins play Flyers hockey. If you don't think so you would be wrong. Rinaldo has been great this year too.

Quote:
Sure. But Snider, Clarke, and Holmgren feel the need to have 1 or 2 stiffs that do nothing but "provide energy" (i.e. take dumb penalties).

The Flyers have been shorthanded 105 times this year, worst in the league The Bruins and Kings are both under 90, middle of the pack.

You can't win the NHL without discipline, and the Flyers have too many players that have none.
And? Seriously, the minor penalties have been the LEAST of our troubles. Flyers do well in special team games. So I'm not understanding your viewpoint.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:09 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Yeah, almost every team has a goon. These guys play on the 4th line, that's their role. And yes, they do. The Bruins play Flyers hockey. If you don't think so you would be wrong. Rinaldo has been great this year too.

And? Seriously, the minor penalties have been the LEAST of our troubles. Flyers do well in special team games. So I'm not understanding your viewpoint.
We've given up 18 GA shorthanded this season. Boston has given up 7. If you think .5 goal/game is meaningless, I don't know what to tell you.

Bruins play smart hockey. Flyers hockey is dumb hockey.

And no, not every team has a goon. Teams don't waste cap space on those players.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Lavi's time in Philly is clearly coming to an end. But upper management should be taking a long, hard look at Holmgren. Sure, he as a talent for spotting forward talent. That doesn't do anything to change the several serious missteps he's taken which have had major effects. The 2010 offseason was a debacle. The 2011 offseason was...something. If anything, at the end of the day it ends up as a sideways step that put off doom for a few years. The 2012 offseason is another failure...no backup goalie, and swung out on everyone.

THen throughout his tenure draft picks and prospects have been sent away until the cupboard is almost entirely dry, and the team remains incapable of producing it's own Dmen. Fascinatingly, we could sure use some new dmen, especially ones that are on lower contracts.

03-09-2013, 11:18 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
We've given up 18 GA shorthanded this season. Boston has given up 7. If you think .5 goal/game is meaningless, I don't know what to tell you.

Bruins play smart hockey. Flyers hockey is dumb hockey.

And no, not every team has a goon. Teams don't waste cap space on those players.
Yeah, no, they do. Rangers, Devils, Penguins, Bruins, Blackhawks, Capitals, Leafs, Canadiens, Senators, Lightning, Wild, Sabres, all have goons. And that's just off the top of my head.

Flyers walk a fine line of agitation and toughness, sometimes you profit sometimes you don't. I've seen the Bruins do some pretty undiscipline things too. In fact, go on youtube and you'll find a lot. Not much of a difference. This is how the Flyers do things, it wont change.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:30 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If they fire Lavy, I'd do it right before the 5 day break. Get a new head coach for the break and have a mini-camp.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:36 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
If they fire Lavy, I'd do it right before the 5 day break. Get a new head coach for the break and have a mini-camp.
I would do it after tomorrow's game

Old
03-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
The player with the 2nd most minor penalties in hockey just got a hugely overpriced extension from our GM. They just don't value the right things in the front office.
Coburn is having a rough season thus far, for sure. What does his resigning say about the front office's values that you don't like?

Old
03-09-2013, 11:53 PM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
no we don't they get no ice time. Ringaldo is the only one on that list who gets to play and I believe it's deserved.

Overall I feel Lavy might get the can. It's much easier to change the coach then to try and trade away a bunch of assets. I don't know if fire him will help at all, but I do know we do not have the defense man to play his system. They're just too slow and it shows, we also have only one D man who can take half a decent slap shot and that's Mez.

Either way a change is definitely coming. However, I hope it happens in the off season and we let the young players play for now. Fill in gaps in the off season.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:01 AM
pughater

would they even venture to put terry murray back behind the bench?

Old
03-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Sterling31
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
Hey gang, I come in peace.

Question(s)

If the Flyers were to fire Lavs, other then Asst's do they have anyone in the AHL that could take over ?

Depending on who they hire, could the new coach turn this team around ?

From what I read it seems like most would like to go outside the Flyers system...who though is out there ?

Hope you guys don't mind an outsider coming in and asking questions...

Outsider as well.

Wonder if this would work:

PHILLY:
Torts

NYR:
Ruff

TB:
Lavy

Old
03-10-2013, 12:21 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pughater View Post
would they even venture to put terry murray back behind the bench?
you know they would. start marinatin on that thought cause its comin. i think thats why they brought him in anyway. to have a defense minded guy to balance out whats doin. oh he's a comin. soon too. and people talking bout holmgren getting fired, with that pressure comin down at least we know there's gonna be one huge trade left in him to keep this year entertaining. cause he aint going down without a fight.

Closed Thread