HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Sim City

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 07:17 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I also just finished watching video (I will put below) where the gentleman has quite the rant about how EA just pulled SimCity Deluxe and Sims 3 off Android because the ratings were shrinking like crazy because EA had put an update in the APP info saying they were compatible with ice cream sandwich, but they were not... so many people paid for those games that didn't work, then EA waited a few months, never fixed anything and pulled the games off Google Play.
Again, EA is a corporation. It's an amoral entity. For them, customer satisfaction does not factor into the sales equation. They've already got your money. Any post release support that isn't monetized is a waste to a corporation. That's why we got Battlefield 'premium', a full price game for what amounted to 6 months worth of modding. They are only just now getting around to fixing **** like the TV missile bug, over a year after release.

You guys are judging and asking too much of EA. We want them to be more like Valve and other companies who care about the product. But they play by an entirely different set of rules. This is the company that famously drew a line in the sand for the companies biggest release in history (Mass Effect 3) so that it would come out in the fiscal year it was promised/needed to. This is the same company that released a buggy piece of **** shooter too early because it had to come before Call of Duty. These are corporate decisions in a non corporate world. "We will never launch a game again that doesn't have a social capability [monetized] built into it." The same company that spent untold millions copying WoW out of corporate jealousy, averse to any sort of design risk, thus ensuring its failure.

EA is doomed to **** up like this because they are a corporation, and behave as one would expect them to. The CEO has worked for Sarah Lee, Clorox, PepsiCo, Häagen-Dazs and Wilson's Sporting Goods. I **** you not. It is not a gaming company. They don't make games, they make product. It's all a giant equation for them, meant to maximize shareholder equity. Why would you ever expect such an entity, one built on the backs of a duopoly and 13 year olds, to care about customers?

Old
03-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
Uh the city size is ridiculous and so is the fact that their are certain maps instead of randomly generated maps. How about the fact that there is no terraforming in the game at all? Its called SimCity not SimCities, you shouldn't have to build 3 shell's when you are just min-maxing them to make one City awesome.

Some people aren't easily satiated by ****, how's War Z?
What is War Z

Old
03-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Again, EA is a corporation. It's an amoral entity. For them, customer satisfaction does not factor into the sales equation. They've already got your money. Any post release support that isn't monetized is a waste to a corporation. That's why we got Battlefield 'premium', a full price game for what amounted to 6 months worth of modding. They are only just now getting around to fixing **** like the TV missile bug, over a year after release.

You guys are judging and asking too much of EA. We want them to be more like Valve and other companies who care about the product. But they play by an entirely different set of rules. This is the company that famously drew a line in the sand for the companies biggest release in history (Mass Effect 3) so that it would come out in the fiscal year it was promised/needed to. This is the same company that released a buggy piece of **** shooter too early because it had to come before Call of Duty. These are corporate decisions in a non corporate world. "We will never launch a game again that doesn't have a social capability [monetized] built into it." The same company that spent untold millions copying WoW out of corporate jealousy, averse to any sort of design risk, thus ensuring its failure.

EA is doomed to **** up like this because they are a corporation, and behave as one would expect them to. The CEO has worked for Sarah Lee, Clorox, PepsiCo, Häagen-Dazs and Wilson's Sporting Goods. I **** you not. It is not a gaming company. They don't make games, they make product. It's all a giant equation for them, meant to maximize shareholder equity. Why would you ever expect such an entity, one built on the backs of a duopoly and 13 year olds, to care about customers?
They are trying to fix the problem

Compare this to 2k who just took your money on MLB 2k12 and didn't bother to fix their bug which prevents people from...you know...actually playing the game

2k, especially what they have done to MLB, deserve a lot of hate. Sure, their NBA games are good, but their MLB series is terribad.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post

I agree with a lot of what you said, except that "not caring about your customers" is often not a great long-term business plan. Their mishandling of Mass Effect 3 resulted in their development team spending months of their time making a free DLC to partially fix their mistake. Their rushing of Dragon Age 2 resulted in terrible sales (compared to it's predecessor) and severe damage to Bioware's most valuable IP.

Now, EA is still modestly profitable despite their bad publicity. But in looking at one of flagship studios (Bioware), you can see that EA's mismanagement is likely to produce lower revenue going forward. It is highly unlikely that DA3 or ME4 sales will meet or exceed their predecessors due to the growing disillusionment of their core fanbase.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:09 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
I agree with a lot of what you said, except that "not caring about your customers" is often not a great long-term business plan. Their mishandling of Mass Effect 3 resulted in their development team spending months of their time making a free DLC to partially fix their mistake. Their rushing of Dragon Age 2 resulted in terrible sales (compared to it's predecessor) and severe damage to Bioware's most valuable IP.

Now, EA is still modestly profitable despite their bad publicity. But in looking at one of flagship studios (Bioware), you can see that EA's mismanagement is likely to produce lower revenue going forward. It is highly unlikely that DA3 or ME4 sales will meet or exceed their predecessors due to the growing disillusionment of their core fanbase.
I'm certainly not buying an EA game until is is proven they wont be restricting customers and wont be filling everything to the brim with micro-transactions just to fix broken games.

List of upcoming EA Games:
2013 releases

-Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
-Fuse (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
-The Sims 3: Island Paradise (Windows, Mac OS X)
-Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar (Windows, iOS)
-Command & Conquer (Windows)
-Dragon Age III: Inquisition (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows, Mac OS X)

Certainly no interest in these.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:15 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
They are trying to fix the problem

Compare this to 2k who just took your money on MLB 2k12 and didn't bother to fix their bug which prevents people from...you know...actually playing the game

2k, especially what they have done to MLB, deserve a lot of hate. Sure, their NBA games are good, but their MLB series is terribad.
Don't know about MLB but 2k is publishing Bio-Shock: Infinite and I have nothing but good things to say about pre-ordering that game.

Went through Green Man Gaming and got $15 back (which I used towards Blood Bowl) then 2 free games (Bioshock1 and Darkness 2) and then when you go to the Bioshock: Infinite 2k site there's a flash puzzle game you can play once registered that unlocks in-game bonuses (for the Bioshock: Infinite release).

SimCity is $60-$90 and Origin was giving $20 that was extremely limited and now you get 1 free game... which they haven't announced what that means... for a game that still doesn't work properly.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:20 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
I agree with a lot of what you said, except that "not caring about your customers" is often not a great long-term business plan.
I never said it was a good idea. Companies in service driven sectors (like Zappos) put a great emphasis on customer service. But to EA, it's not as important. It's considered a cost that is not essential to how EA conducts business. They've been terrible for awhile, so I'm not sure what we are debating here.

Quote:
Now, EA is still modestly profitable despite their bad publicity.
Not according to their latest reports.

http://investor.ea.com/secfiling.cfm...D=712515-12-10

Quote:
“To the executives at EA, from one of your employees

I am deeply embarrassed by the troubled launch of Sim City and I hope you are too. When I walk around our campus and look at the kind of talent we’ve collected, the amenities we have access to and the opportunities working at such a big company affords us, I can’t imagine how for release after release, EA continues to make the same embarrassing, anti-consumer mistakes. We should be better than this. You should not be failing us so badly.

Another thing I see when I walk around our campus are massive banners that display what are said to be our company values. They are on posters on every floor, included in company-wide emails and hanging above the cafeteria in bright colors. You even print them on our coffee mugs so we see them every day. But somehow when planning the launch of Sim City, you threw them all out the window.

Most important of the values you are ignoring is Think Consumers First. What part of the Sim City DRM scheme, which has rendered the game unplayable for hundreds of thousands of fans across the globe, demonstrates that you are thinking about consumers before you are thinking about yourselves? Does “first” mean something different in boardrooms than it does to the rest of us? Does the meaning of that word change when you get the word “executive” in front of your title?

You can’t even pretend that you didn’t know consumers would be angry about this. Common sense aside, consumers complained about this during your public betas. In fact, when one of them posted his criticisms on the forums, he was banned! You tried to silence your critics. The same thing is happening now as users write in to demand refunds. What part of this behavior aligns with our company value to Be Accountable?

What you’ve demonstrated with this launch is that our corporate management does not believe in our core values. They are for the unwashed masses, not for the important people who forced this anti-consumer DRM onto the Sim City team. This DRM scheme is not about the consumers or even about piracy. It’s about covering your own *****. It allows you to hand-wave weak sales or bad reviews and blame outside factors like pirates or server failures in the event the game struggles. You are protecting your own jobs at the expense of consumers. I think this violates the Act With Integrity value I’m looking at on my own coffee mug right now.

On behalf of your other employees, I’d like to ask you to fix this. Allow the Sim City team to patch the game to run offline. If Create Quality and Innovation is still a core value that you believe in, then this shouldn’t be a hard decision. Games that gamers can’t play because of server overload or ISP issues are NOT quality. Be Bold by giving the consumers what they want and take accountability for the mistake.

Finally I’d like to ask you to follow the last company value on the list in the future: Learn and Grow. When you made this mistake with Spore, the company and all your employees suffered for it. You didn’t learn from that mistake and you are making it again with Sim City.

So please, learn from this debacle. Don’t do this again. Grow into better leaders and actually apply our company values when you make decisions. Don’t just use them as tools to motivate your staff. With the money, talent and intellectual property available to EA, we should be leading the industry into a golden age of consumer-focused game publishing. Instead we’re the most reviled game publisher in the world. That’s your fault. Things can only change if you actually start following the company values and apply them to every title we launch.

Sincerely,

A Disappointed But Hopeful Artist at EARS”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...rtner=yahootix

Old
03-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Osprey

I laughed when I saw that this debacle made the front page of Foxnews.com (down the page, with dozens of other stories, but still). It's even the current top-trending "tech" article at the site. You know that you've screwed up badly when mainstream (non-techie) outlets run with stories, especially about computer games.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/03/...ntcmp=features

Quote:
As one of the most Internet-savvy demographics on the Web, gamers are generally the wrong group to provoke. Nevertheless, Electronic Arts — not gaming's favorite company at the best of times — has botched the release of its new 'SimCity' title in some of the worst ways possible.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:30 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Man, last year EA had the Mass Effect 3 ending debacle, now the Sim City debacle. Lots of damage control at EA these days.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:49 PM
TomPlex

Aside from NA1, which is the other HF server? Can someone send me an invite to the region?

Old
03-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Man, last year EA had the Mass Effect 3 ending debacle, now the Sim City debacle. Lots of damage control at EA these days.
Don't forget the Dead Space 3 debacle, even if it was a bit more subdued.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:03 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Don't forget the Dead Space 3 debacle, even if it was a bit more subdued.
Which one?

Strangest one was when the executive producer went on an odd tangent about how they didn't want Dead Space 3 to be "superior on PC"... but then it was (which was pretty obviously going to happen). Very odd.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Doesn't it cost like $500 to get the Sims 3 complete? It's like when McDonalds had that Inspector Gadget Happy Meal toy which was impossible to complete.

EA has a lot of problems.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
Doesn't it cost like $500 to get the Sims 3 complete? It's like when McDonalds had that Inspector Gadget Happy Meal toy which was impossible to complete.

EA has a lot of problems.
Nah, they have deals now

More like 100 or 150 at most

Old
03-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Harbinger
Lose control.

So my shiny new recycling centre is sitting idle right now. Do i have to stop sending my trash to another town and start using my own dump?

Old
03-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Nah, they have deals now

More like 100 or 150 at most

Not even close, all the Sims3 DLC is very close to 500$ http://store.steampowered.com/app/47890/?snr=1_7_15__13 and that does not include the EA/Origin exclusive stuff.

EA has many great franchises (I admit), but they sure do not seem to care.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:24 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHerb View Post
So my shiny new recycling centre is sitting idle right now. Do i have to stop sending my trash to another town and start using my own dump?
You need recycling trucks and [at least] high school educated Sims. The trucks will go around the city (and other cities you share them with) and collect recyclables from buildings.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:27 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

For those who have played both Sim City 4 and the new one, what is better about the new one and what is downgraded?

Old
03-09-2013, 11:33 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
For those who have played both Sim City 4 and the new one, what is better about the new one and what is downgraded?
The good:
+Better regional trading; sharing resources, utilities and services with other cities in the region is more robust
+It looks prettier
+Individual Sims in the city seemingly live "real" lives, you can follow them around on their commute and to other places. Each Sim is simulated individually (rather than only seeing them when zoomed in and were a graphical representation and not a true simulation)
+Building roads is more robust, curved roads and all roads are easily upgrade-able

The bad:
-Always online
-Smaller maps; geared more towards building multiple cities in a region rather than a sprawling metropolis
-No local saving
-Some of the AI is buggy, especially if you don't manage your road placement rather meticulously
-The server outages on launch caused loads of problems with regional sharing and saving cities properly, you're at the mercy of the servers for a lot of the gameplay. I've not had as bad an experience with this as some other people and it's seemingly getting better by the day.
-No subway system

You also don't have to do placement of utilities like power and sewage lines, depending on who you ask this can be good or bad

With all of that being said, i'm really enjoying it... server issues aside.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:52 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
The good:
+Better regional trading; sharing resources, utilities and services with other cities in the region is more robust
+It looks prettier
+Individual Sims in the city seemingly live "real" lives, you can follow them around on their commute and to other places. Each Sim is simulated individually (rather than only seeing them when zoomed in and were a graphical representation and not a true simulation)
+Building roads is more robust, curved roads and all roads are easily upgrade-able

The bad:
-Always online
-Smaller maps; geared more towards building multiple cities in a region rather than a sprawling metropolis
-No local saving
-Some of the AI is buggy, especially if you don't manage your road placement rather meticulously
-The server outages on launch caused loads of problems with regional sharing and saving cities properly, you're at the mercy of the servers for a lot of the gameplay. I've not had as bad an experience with this as some other people and it's seemingly getting better by the day.
-No subway system

You also don't have to do placement of utilities like power and sewage lines, depending on who you ask this can be good or bad

Thanks for that. I'm currently installing mods before I start playing SimCity 4, just wanted to see if there were any features in the new game that might be covered via mods.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:53 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
The good:
+It looks prettier

The bad:
-Always online
-No local saving
-No subway system

Other good:

1. You get a free game at some point

Other bad:

1. No terraforming

Old
03-10-2013, 12:05 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quick question for those where were there right on launch night... did it start with 2 servers?

Old
03-10-2013, 12:15 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Other good:

1. You get a free game at some point

Other bad:

1. No terraforming
It's PC. Most games can be a free game.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:30 AM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Quick question for those where were there right on launch night... did it start with 2 servers?
No, I think there were 5 on launch day... 1 NA West, 1 NA East, 1 Europe West, 1 Europe East and Oceanic

Old
03-10-2013, 12:33 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Before that Star Wars the Old Republic bombed pretty badly.

Closed Thread