HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #8

View Poll Results: Should we use an amnesty buyout on Bryz?
Hell Yes! 65 72.22%
Hell No! 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 08:22 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Why on earth has Leighton been recalled?
Seth Jones.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Tripod

If they can get 1 of these guys on short deals at good $, I let Bryz go:
Smith
Backstron
Howard
And freakin sign someone like Al Montoya for $1 million who can actually win a game!

Old
03-09-2013, 08:32 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Why on earth has Leighton been recalled?
To start tomm. All going to ****.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:46 PM
FlyersFan61290

i have an intense hatred for Leighton. Luckily if he indeed does start tomorrow at least i won't be subjected to watching him for an entire game as i'll be watching the walking dead at 9.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
i have an intense hatred for Leighton. Luckily if he indeed does start tomorrow at least i won't be subjected to watching him for an entire game as i'll be watching the walking dead at 9.
And also because he's likely to get pulled.

03-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Seth Jones.
That was my first thought because otherwise it makes no sense to bring that bum back up.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:54 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Amazing Race at 8 for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
As always, you have the best line!

Old
03-09-2013, 08:55 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, they re-call Leighton.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:57 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

i can see it now, watch him actually do well tomorrow and he gets rewarded with more games. then the team in front of him puts some things together and consequently make him look much better then he is like 09-10. subsequently leighton is re-signed in the offseason

Old
03-09-2013, 09:05 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:

i can see it now, watch him actually do well tomorrow and he gets rewarded with more games. then the team in front of him puts some things together and consequently make him look much better then he is like 09-10. subsequently leighton is re-signed in the offseason
If this actually happened AGAIN,

Unless, it results in a Cup I will forever hate MFL.

Good thing the odds of this are as low as me winning the lottery tonight.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:32 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
You call out the team D also but don't call out Bryz when his effort isn't there.

Case in point the Tyler Kennedy goal from Thursday night to tie the game. He literally went into the butterfly and hoped the puck hit him. There was no effort to fight for the puck or even fight through the screen. Also it's the NHL, there will always be players in front of the net, so don't use that as an excuse why the goal went in.
Over the years it has become customary for defenseman to clear screens. As for fighting for the puck high in the zone, that's what the line is supposed to do.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:32 PM
CSKA1974

My take on Bryz: good goalie- wrong for this team and this fan base. And that's not his or team's fault. That's a mistake by upper management and coaching staff for not evaluating him properly prior to offering the job he was wrong for.

Bryz relies on positioning and reading the play, not on reflexes and athhleticism.

He is not an athletic/ acrobatic type of goalie that can adequately react to breakaways and odd man rushes and blown defence assingments that is MO of the Flyers defence. Ironically, Bob has had all the qualities to become suach a goalie.

Since Bryz is not acrobatic type of goalie a lot of HF boarders labeled him lazy, and that "he does not even try". I wonder if on Nash's first goal he had flopped like Thomas or Brodeur and still got scored against, would opinion be different.

Furthermore, not only does not he fit the current approach to defence and thus becomes absolete, but his contract is not sustainable also.

Therefore, he either needs to be bought ought (but that a lot of money wasted), or the system needs to be changed.

I believe the former will happen either this or next off season.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:47 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Two things I noticed people always say about Bryz is:
1. He plays better when he plays a lot.
2. He's the type of goalie who does better when he's active and facing a good amount of shots.

Now it's he's too tired and the defense needs to be better even though they give up 27 shots on average a game. So my question is what excuse is it now?
what are you upset about? that we got scored on? that happens. what isn't normal for a pretty potent offensive team is to get shutout. if the flyers won 5 to 3 today none would be talking about the goaltending. thats what is so retarded about blaming one guy. oh yea. the money. the money. i keep forgettin. cause we'd be so rich without his contract we could afford to buy an island where we could run experiments like cloning and brain transplants. like for pronger. they would'v already inscribed 2013, 14, and 15 stanely cup champion flyers on that mammy jamma. thas' right, mammy jamma. oh you know what that means don't play dumb.

Last edited by funghoul: 03-10-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old
03-10-2013, 05:31 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

No Boston SOG through first 10 mins of game.

Proceed to let in next 3 of 5 shots.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:11 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
what are you upset about? that we got scored on? that happens. what isn't normal for a pretty potent offensive team is to get shutout. if the flyers won 5 to 3 today none would be talking about the goaltending. thats what is so retarded about blaming one guy. oh yea. the money. the money. i keep forgettin. cause we'd be so rich without his contract we could afford to buy an island where we could run experiments like cloning and brain transplants. like for pronger. they would'v already inscribed 2013, 14, and 15 stanely cup champion flyers on that mammy jamma. thas' right, mammy jamma. oh you know what that means don't play dumb.
I'm not really upset. I just want to know what excuse is it. You can't have it both ways.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:18 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I'm not really upset. I just want to know what excuse is it. You can't have it both ways.
24 games in 50 days is too much. with practices in between thats rough. it doesn't excuse his play as of late but his shortcomings are being magnified by sloppy play in front of him.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:22 AM
BroadStreetPhila

Quote:
24 games in 50 days is too much. with practices in between thats rough. it doesn't excuse his play as of late but his shortcomings are being magnified by sloppy play in front of him.
Everybody else is playing a similar schedule. No need to make excuses.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:26 AM
FLYERSFAN18

I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone has played as many back to back games as we have.

Edit: there is also no reasonable option at backup to give him a night off

Old
03-10-2013, 11:12 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

There no need to make excuses because these goals are not on him. NONE of the goals yesterday were poor goaltender play.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:16 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'm pointing the fact that even if we had Allen, I'm sure it might of been worse than just a 3-0 loss. It's kind of ****ing insane how you guys are constantly harping on the cap for this coming off-season. Making it sound like we have nothing with Bryz here. Hell, with Briere gone and Pronger on LTIR, we have 17M in cap space WITH Bryz on the team. Even if we got Perry for 9M, we still have 8M left. 8M left to find 3 forwards, another d-man or two and a back up.
I find myself in agreement with this. I don't see how anyone can watch this team play and conclude that a goalie change is a high priority. So many holes need filling.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:19 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
There no need to make excuses because these goals are not on him. NONE of the goals yesterday were poor goaltender play.
Agreed. But it would be nice if he could bail out the team just once though. I'm not asking for him to become Hasek, but elite goalies find a way to get a phenomenal save or two a game to keep their team in it when the defensive coverage breaks down. I've never seen that from Bryz. He's a numbers goalie that gets in the way of a lot of shots, but he's not nearly athletic enough to be an elite goaltender.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:25 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Not sure what would be accomplished by him standing on his proverbial head for a game. But agreed, his is not an athletic specimen. Perhaps that is made more evident by the Flyers subpar defense and work ethic.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:26 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Whether Bryz is going to be here next year or not, I think it is pretty clear that we need a change of coach and system. It's pretty obvious that this completely offensive system is not going to work for us. If it didn't work in 2010 with that team (wow we were close though), its not going to work now.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:30 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Whether Bryz is going to be here next year or not, I think it is pretty clear that we need a change of coach and system. It's pretty obvious that this completely offensive system is not going to work for us. If it didn't work in 2010 with that team (wow we were close though), its not going to work now.
True, it is hard to assess anyone's performance in this "system".

Old
03-10-2013, 12:26 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStreetPhila View Post
Everybody else is playing a similar schedule. No need to make excuses.
bryz played several back to backs himself. no other goalie in the league does that. he has more starts then any other goalie and trails only Rinne in TOI (by a wapping 5 seconds). That's a legitimate reason. Rinne has much better numbers but he's also playing behind a completely different team, one that is more conducive for a goaltenders success. Rinne is also a much better goalie obviously and his 7 mil cap hit reflects that.

bryz needs to be better for what he's getting paid but people acting like there is no reason for him to be sucking right now need to open their eyes. you could put rinne, lundqvist, Rask or whoever else you want in there and the team would still be losing.

did anyone see rask make any amazing saves yesterday? i'm not saying he doesn't or that goalies in this league don't make great saves daily but bryz would need to make a highlight reel save after highlight reel save for this team to succeed and admittedly right now he's making almost none.

confidence is also an issue right now as it is with the entire team.

what i don't get is if everyone knows (the fans know at least so i imagine management has to know too) what bryz needs to succeed then why not implement a system for him to you know actually succeed? you have to adapt to the players you have especially when there's arguably nothing better on the market.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 03-10-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Closed Thread