HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #24: at Phoenix, 3/09 (7:00 PM, Fox Sports Southwest, 1310 AM, 104.1 FM)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2013, 09:46 PM
  #351
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Yeah, only one angle looked like a hit to the chin, the rest I saw looked clean. I don't think anything will come from it unless I see different.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:03 PM
  #352
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 29,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post
Haha some dude over in the Phoenix board said that hit was clean.
It was slightly late, but it wasn't suspend able.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:10 PM
  #353
Modo
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,272
vCash: 50
Barely late....not as late as Strangis made it seem, IMO.

Benn released a quick shot before Hanzal had a chance to change his direction. If he'd made a turn afterwards and THEN got nailed, we'd already be on Page 5 of a main board thread.

But this one seemed rather innocent. Good to see Benn pop right back up under his own power, anyways.

__________________
RIP octopi
Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:15 PM
  #354
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 16,933
vCash: 500
Why didn't Morrow play?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:16 PM
  #355
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 52,964
vCash: 500
Injured groin.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:54 PM
  #356
ElGuapo
Cheese
 
ElGuapo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nomad
Country: United States
Posts: 2,485
vCash: 500
Hope Benn is Ok..hit was a bit late but where he hit him..no prob. Shoulder to the chops but I mean the dude is 6'6" he has no choice but to hit high..as long as he's not throwing an elbow.

ElGuapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:59 PM
  #357
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 29,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
Hope Benn is Ok..hit was a bit late but where he hit him..no prob. Shoulder to the chops but I mean the dude is 6'6" he has no choice but to hit high..as long as he's not throwing an elbow.
Yeah, it's the same thing we saw from Hatcher for years.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:04 AM
  #358
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Yeah, but what Hatcher did for years is no longer legal. Checking any player where the head is the principal point of contact is no longer legal, no matter if you'r 6-7 or 6-1 or 5-5 (and I'd love to see Gerbe try). The days where what Hatcher and Stevens did is allowed are long gone because of results like this one.

It's only slightly late but definitely primary point of contact being the left side of Benn's face. That starts to move backwards before any momentum heads into his chest. There's almost no shoulder-on-shoulder or hip-on-hip contact. Plus it's quasi-blindside and Benn had little chance to see it coming even though he had his head up. That still counts for something.

I wrote about the whole thing here (with extra nerdy screenshots!): http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/3/...-illegal-check

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:47 AM
  #359
ElGuapo
Cheese
 
ElGuapo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nomad
Country: United States
Posts: 2,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Yeah, but what Hatcher did for years is no longer legal. Checking any player where the head is the principal point of contact is no longer legal, no matter if you'r 6-7 or 6-1 or 5-5 (and I'd love to see Gerbe try). The days where what Hatcher and Stevens did is allowed are long gone because of results like this one.

It's only slightly late but definitely primary point of contact being the left side of Benn's face. That starts to move backwards before any momentum heads into his chest. There's almost no shoulder-on-shoulder or hip-on-hip contact. Plus it's quasi-blindside and Benn had little chance to see it coming even though he had his head up. That still counts for something.

I wrote about the whole thing here (with extra nerdy screenshots!): http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/3/...-illegal-check
It may be the rule, I'm just saying it's an asinine rule that defies reason. The guy would have had to bend himself awkwardly backward against his own momentum to keep from hitting him in the head. It's unfortunate he was hit in the head but there's not much one can do about it. Hanzal can't not be 6'6" and he can't alter the size of other players like he's a video game programmer before he hits someone. I don't like the hit but 'point of contact' should be irrelevant, same in football. If it was obvious that he launched himself like a missile at his head or threw up his elbow it would be a different story. Same as last year, I think it was the Nystrom hit on Letang. It wasn't Nystrom's fault that he hit Letang's head.

ElGuapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:50 AM
  #360
Elysian
@AdamBath
 
Elysian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 9,119
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
It may be the rule, I'm just saying it's an asinine rule that defies reason. The guy would have had to bend himself awkwardly backward against his own momentum to keep from hitting him in the head. It's unfortunate he was hit in the head but there's not much one can do about it. Hanzal can't not be 6'6" and he can't alter the size of other players like he's a video game programmer before he hits someone. I don't like the hit but 'point of contact' should be irrelevant, same in football. If it was obvious that he launched himself like a missile at his head or threw up his elbow it would be a different story. Same as last year, I think it was the Nystrom hit on Letang. It wasn't Nystrom's fault that he hit Letang's head.
Benn is 6' 2", there's no reason Hanzal HAD to hit his head.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:26 AM
  #361
Chaos
#1
 
Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
It may be the rule, I'm just saying it's an asinine rule that defies reason. The guy would have had to bend himself awkwardly backward against his own momentum to keep from hitting him in the head. It's unfortunate he was hit in the head but there's not much one can do about it. Hanzal can't not be 6'6" and he can't alter the size of other players like he's a video game programmer before he hits someone. I don't like the hit but 'point of contact' should be irrelevant, same in football. If it was obvious that he launched himself like a missile at his head or threw up his elbow it would be a different story. Same as last year, I think it was the Nystrom hit on Letang. It wasn't Nystrom's fault that he hit Letang's head.
I dont think its an asinine rule at all. Hits to the head are extremely dangerous, its about time the league started realizing that. As has been pointed out, the prinicipal point of contact was Benn's head(as evidenced by his head turning to the right before the rest of his body changes direction. And it looked like Hanzal left his feet, although thats more difficult to tell. Fistric got suspended for far less last year from his hit on Nino Niederreiter.

And this is in no way comparable to Nystrom hitting Letang. letang put himself in an extremely vulnerable position right as Nystrom was skating by him.

I can only imagine the uproar on the main boards had this been a Leaf getting hit like this.

__________________
Chaos is always right.

-Vagrant
Chaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
  #362
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 29,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
It's only slightly late but definitely primary point of contact being the left side of Benn's face. That starts to move backwards before any momentum heads into his chest. There's almost no shoulder-on-shoulder or hip-on-hip contact. Plus it's quasi-blindside and Benn had little chance to see it coming even though he had his head up. That still counts for something.
And much of what you're talking about was caused by Benn continuing to lean into his shot's follow through to watch it. That's why coaches tell players not to watch their shots or passes. Doing so puts them in dangerous positions. The hit was lined up, and Benn kept himself in vulnerable spot.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:32 AM
  #363
Chaos
#1
 
Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
And much of what you're talking about was caused by Benn continuing to lean into his shot's follow through to watch it. That's why coaches tell players not to watch their shots or passes. Doing so puts them in dangerous positions. The hit was lined up, and Benn kept himself in vulnerable spot.
Benn's body position didnt change into a more vulnerable position after he took the shot. In fact, he actually just barely started standing more upright, although its just a tiny bit. The 'putting himself in a vulnerable position' portion of the rule doesnt apply here.

Chaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:03 PM
  #364
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 29,086
vCash: 500
I'm not talking about the modern perverted interpretation of the rule that analyzes hits frame by frame. I'm talking about the common sense lessons taught to kids. Things like don't stickhandle with your head down.

Benn made himself vulnerable by not getting upright more quickly as he should have. The old phrase "don't admire you pass" applies equally to shots, ad that's what Benn was doing. The hit was going to crush Benn either way, but players need to be careful in how they put themselves in positions to get hit.

Ten years ago, this would have been considered nothing more than a life lesson for Benn. Today, it will be broken down like the Zapruder film with little consideration made for how the play developed. It will merely be a matter of assigning blame based entirely on a frozen frame showing contact.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:50 PM
  #365
Chaos
#1
 
Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
I'm not talking about the modern perverted interpretation of the rule that analyzes hits frame by frame. I'm talking about the common sense lessons taught to kids. Things like don't stickhandle with your head down.

Benn made himself vulnerable by not getting upright more quickly as he should have. The old phrase "don't admire you pass" applies equally to shots, ad that's what Benn was doing. The hit was going to crush Benn either way, but players need to be careful in how they put themselves in positions to get hit.

Ten years ago, this would have been considered nothing more than a life lesson for Benn. Today, it will be broken down like the Zapruder film with little consideration made for how the play developed. It will merely be a matter of assigning blame based entirely on a frozen frame showing contact.
But its not 10 years ago anymore. Things have changed. Shouldering someone in the head is no longer legal. It doesnt matter if said player is admiring their pass or shot.

Chaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:17 PM
  #366
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,887
vCash: 500
Any update on Benn? Didn't see anything on Twitter.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:26 PM
  #367
Elysian
@AdamBath
 
Elysian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 9,119
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Any update on Benn? Didn't see anything on Twitter.
There won't be any update until tomorrow.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:26 PM
  #368
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Any update on Benn? Didn't see anything on Twitter.
Nothing until tomorrow. This is an off day. Wathier was returned to the AHL though so they only have 11 forwards who are for sure healthy.

Whitney is rumored to be back Tuesday, but that's no guarantee. Morrow was reported to have only a slight groin tear so he could be good to go soon, and like I mentioned no one is certain of Benn's health.

If he couldn't go, my guess is we could see this for the Top 9 on Tuesday:

Eriksson-Roy-Jagr
Morrow/Whitney-Eakin-Cole
Fraser-Roussel-Smith

They already we're sliding Roy up between those two before Benn got hurt last game. I assume at least one of Morrow or Whitney should be ready since Wathier was already sent down. If both are ready, I imagine Fraser goes down tomorrow.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:03 PM
  #369
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,887
vCash: 500
Thanks guys.

Side note Benn injury. Did anyone else notice Benn messing with his left hand like it was injured. They showed shots of him looking like something was wrong a few times at stoppages.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:29 PM
  #370
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Thanks guys.

Side note Benn injury. Did anyone else notice Benn messing with his left hand like it was injured. They showed shots of him looking like something was wrong a few times at stoppages.
I noticed, and I was wondering about that. Never saw it mentioned anywhere by the team or media though.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.