HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Kulemin (still) depressed?

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 10:37 PM
TheRussianRocket

vCash: 500
Kulemin (still) depressed?

Hello everyone!

I attended todays game in person, and being a Kulemin fan, made special attention to follow him on the ice in the pre-game skate, during the game, general mannerisms.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is still depressed. I recall there was a thread on this topic in December of 2011 that someone confirmed having spent Christmas with him that he's mentally not there after the KHL plane crash.

I don't think his skills have left him, i think his mental well-being is not 100%. Not sure when and if he will come out of it. What are your thoughts? He's just back to earth after a one-off season, or is he still in there somewhere fighting a battle with depression?

I think the latter.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:39 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

I don't think any of us can really know unless we know him personally.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:40 PM
beleaf67

maybe he is not scoring in bunch but he is still working his ass off... I love Kuli...

Old
03-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Personally I think he is doing fine. He is on pace for 41 points over a full season which would be his second highest total only behind his 30 goal year. Pretty solid given that his role is to shutdown other teams top lines as well.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:44 PM
PasDaSquini

his 30 goal season was a fluke. Everyone on that line got nearly 30 goals that season. He works hard and is great defensively he is the the 3rd line checking role.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Kamal007
God Level

He is the type of player that needs a good play maker to set him up, since he really isn't great at creating his own space, to really show his goal scoring ability. It isn't a coincidence that the only year he scored above 20 was the year that Clarke Mac had his best play making year on his line.

I would suggest putting him on a line with Kadri to allow him to utilize his shot more.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:45 PM
NazemKadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDaSquini View Post
his 30 goal season was a fluke. Everyone on that line got nearly 30 goals that season. He works hard and is great defensively he is the the 3rd line checking role.
total ********

Old
03-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Tak7

I'm not sure any of us are in a position to judge/comment on Kulemin's mental state or condition.

He's been fine for me. I don't expect offense out of Kulemin anymore, and everything he does add is almost a bonus. But he's been playing hard, still is very strong on the wall and rarely looses a puck battle.

He possesses skills that Carlyle likes, and I think we are utilizing him the best way to maximize those skills (ie. a checking line role).

Old
03-09-2013, 10:51 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Last year he looked really lost after the crash. This year he's trying harder than prolly anyone. Grabo's not using him much, but other than that he is playing great. He's in a checking role so he is physical as he should be, he has great speed, and I believe he could score a lot more if he was used more effectively because his shot is really good.

I also would love to see him with kadri. The drive and heart both play with is insane. And kadri's playmaking with kulie is something worth trying.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:58 PM
TheRussianRocket

Although he is still skating (something he's very good at), he seems to be operating on auto-pilot. Which is classic depression. Mishandles pucks he used to control fine, the play going one way and him not seeing where it's going and making a dumb decision.

I donno. Seems like there is more than meets the eye.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:58 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

I'm glad people aren't discussing my mental state.

Sure he could still be messed up. he was very close to some people on that plane.

He is still playing well enough to deserve a spot so I see nothing wrong. He will find his way or he won't. If this is the best he can do then he will be an amazing 4th liner for us when we win The Cup.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussianRocket View Post
Although he is still skating (something he's very good at), he seems to be operating on auto-pilot. Which is classic depression. Mishandles pucks he used to control fine, the play going one way and him not seeing where it's going and making a dumb decision.

I donno. Seems like there is more than meets the eye.
This is just wrong.

Because you perceive that his skating is on "auto-pilot" (what does that even mean!?), then he must be a classic case of depression?

There are so many things wrong here, least of all a complete lack of understanding that there is no "classic" case of depression at all; a thorough understanding of depression would lead to the realization that people manifest symptoms of depression in very different ways. There is no "classic" form that encompasses the majority of "sufferers".

I'm still not sure how one can rationalize a case of classic depression after analyzing someone's skating ability

Old
03-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Christ

While it is possible that he is indeed still suffereing from depression that is impossible for us to know. Depression is a nasty problem that can plague a person for years...sometimes for the rest of their lives. That said, Kulimen seemed to be playing a lot more like his old self while he was in the KHL...thought he would be ready to play this season...looks like I was wrong.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
While it is possible that he is indeed still suffereing from depression that is impossible for us to know. Depression is a nasty problem that can plague a person for years...sometimes for the rest of their lives. That said, Kulimen seemed to be playing a lot more like his old self while he was in the KHL...thought he would be ready to play this season...looks like I was wrong.
Great post.

On his time in the KHL, it looked as though he found his offensive flair a little bit again (38 points in 35 games played I think, while on a line with Malkin)

That led a lot of people (me included) to proclaim that he was going to have a bounce back year offensively this year. Hasn't materialized.

But there's no doubt that he's looked better this season, than last - he looked like he was loosely going through the motions last year which isn't the case this year. The compete and effort are definitely back.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Sundinftw

He can play better offensively and he knows it. Did you see that one rush where he turned on the wheels and looked like a completely different player there in the 3rd? Now that's the old kulemin

Old
03-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Leafer 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinftw View Post
He can play better offensively and he knows it. Did you see that one rush where he turned on the wheels and looked like a completely different player there in the 3rd? Now that's the old kulemin
Kulemin has shown offensive spurts similar to that over the past couple of weeks. It seems like he is regaining his confidence offensively, but at the same time I think playing with Grabo has been somewhat of a hindrance to Kulie's offensive production. Grabo doesn't have that same drive and is usually the engine that makes that line go, but its not there this year.

Kulemin is still a workhorse and a very important asset to this team.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:58 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Kulemin is top 10 in the league in blocked shots, is a key cog on our PK (him and McClement have launched it from last to top 15), and he's on pace for 40 points. I fail to see what the issue is here.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Jerkini

I think it's time to separate him from Grabovski.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Tonka
Diggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussianRocket View Post
Hello everyone!

I attended todays game in person, and being a Kulemin fan, made special attention to follow him on the ice in the pre-game skate, during the game, general mannerisms.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is still depressed. I recall there was a thread on this topic in December of 2011 that someone confirmed having spent Christmas with him that he's mentally not there after the KHL plane crash.

I don't think his skills have left him, i think his mental well-being is not 100%. Not sure when and if he will come out of it. What are your thoughts? He's just back to earth after a one-off season, or is he still in there somewhere fighting a battle with depression?

I think the latter.
I don't know if he is depressed or anything but one thing that struck is on the opening home game they want down the entire Leafs team (intro.) and every player put their stick up or hand waved to the camera except Kulemin. I know it sounds like a small thing but it seemed really strange and he seemed like an out cast.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Cor
Former LL Member

Just because he isnt scoring doesn't mean he is depressed.

Kule works his ass off most nights, and is our 2nd best defensive forward.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:19 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Everyone loves to give McClement all the credit on the PK but Kulemin is a huge part of it too

Old
03-10-2013, 12:23 AM
fahad203

for some reason I always imagine him. That's Elagabalus, Rome's second worse emperor of all time

OK Kulemin. Get him off Grabo's line and problem solved

Old
03-10-2013, 12:29 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

He's in a different role this year, and Grabovski hasn't been doing him any favours.

Kulemin doesn't shoot nearly enough as he should. He has a lethal wrist shot but never makes any use of it.

I would like to see Kulemin with Kadri at some point

Old
03-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Jerkini

One thing I do find strange about Kulemin is how he never does interviews. He's been with this team for almost 5 years now and I don't think i've ever seen an interview with him. I still don't know if he can speak English or not.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:37 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
One thing I do find strange about Kulemin is how he never does interviews. He's been with this team for almost 5 years now and I don't think i've ever seen an interview with him. I still don't know if he can speak English or not.
His English is still poor and he is very introverted. He barely smiles when he scores - that's just him though - let's not rag him.

Closed Thread