Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 02:32 AM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
I thought they were going back to last years format this coming draft. Only the last 5 teams have a chance at #1.
Nope. Any team that wins the lottery gets the first overall pick

Old
03-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
The scouting report has finally released their mid-term rankings. Again, easily my favourite rankings, don't really see much if anything i disagree with here...

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/wp-...0-Rankings.pdf

Old
03-09-2013, 08:43 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
The scouting report has finally released their mid-term rankings. Again, easily my favourite rankings, don't really see much if anything i disagree with here...

And NHL numbers updated their consensus, combining all the major rankings in a weighted average:

http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/3/4/2013-...onathan-drouin

Old
03-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Boreal

There are so many players I like in this draft. Frederik Gauthier if we are outside the top 10 and thinking offense, and Mirco Mueller (at least he's a left handed D) in the second are players that I would not be sad to see in double blue.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Gil Fisher

droolworthy draft class. Slepyschev worth a flyer with one of our seconds?

Old
03-09-2013, 11:17 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:

Is it just me or is it exciting thinking we are going to (potentially) land 4 of the 60 guys on this list? there is allot to like about this years draft.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:09 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Is it just me or is it exciting thinking we are going to (potentially) land 4 of the 60 guys on this list? there is allot to like about this years draft.
We god dam well better make the ****ing most of this draft. If we don't I'll be one pissed SOB.

Last edited by BigTuna49: 03-10-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Drunk...
Old
03-10-2013, 12:10 AM
lanky

It's a shame that two of our second rounders will be at the end of the round and the other will only be high if we lose more. I wish Chicago was having an off year. Anyways, it is a great year to have a big stock of draft picks.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:14 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
It's a shame that two of our second rounders will be at the end of the round and the other will only be high if we lose more. I wish Chicago was having an off year. Anyways, it is a great year to have a big stock of draft picks.
Gotta cheer for them being ousted in the 1st round.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Thanks Holden. I have my doubts with that Craig Button fellow.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:22 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
droolworthy draft class. Slepyschev worth a flyer with one of our seconds?
Could have had him fir a 7th last year. 2nd would be a bit much IMO.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:30 AM
Whileee

Quote:

For the Jets, a top-7 pick looks most promising. That would likely guarantee a top forward. After that, things get a little less certain, though there are a few good d-men who would be available in the top 10-12.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:36 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Zadorov has risen in the rankings quite a bit as the year has progressed. Impressive.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Jetsfareast

vCash: 695
If the draft starts today we are picking in the Limbo section again.
Not bad enough to pick in the top 5 and not good enough to make the playoff.
Jets are in the pick # 11, fortunately there are possibility here;
Hunter Shinkaruk C/LW
Only 5'11 but have a top end skills and does not play small.
"Established himself as a scorer in the "Dub" early on with excellent vision, hockey smarts, and skill. The upper-echelon wheels, stick-handling, and ability to find the soft spots in open ice, override his current stature and frame. Very strong on his skates, always able to come back and help in his zone, and has excellent offensive instincts. Had great hands and makes plays in tight. Scored over 40 goals in 2011-12. Plays with a whole bit of nasty, and fills the agitator's role, game in and game out, despite not being a physical force. An intense Stan Mikita-type presence that is bringing it with scoring and bite on a consistent basis.
--Bill Placzek-"

OR

Adam Erne RW 6'0 , 205lb
"Strong, balanced skater who shows outside speed and an excellent shot. Plays a mix of a power-forward and sniper. Plays with power on the wall and wins puck battles there. The lightning release of his shot and his ability to find space make him much to contend with. Plays fearlessly and hungry, creates space, is a playmaker, and shoots extremely well. Reads, sets, and attacks well with a dominating presence. Throws big checks. Powerful shot. Will improve his abilities to handle the loose pucks by planting in the crease. He can line up at any of the three forward positions and not look out of place. Has NHLer written all over him.
--Bill Placzek-- "

I still think Antropov can fetch a 1st round even though some have doubt, if Pittburgh feels that this is their year again, they will look for some help up front. They are looking now as far as news and threads are trending. If they cannot the high end talent via a trade like an Iginla. Antropov fits in well with them as a bottom C which Antropov can be very effective, or a top 6 Rw which he can fill on certain situation. Also Pittsburgh weak spot.

Antropov and Chicago 2013 3rd for Pitrsburgh 2013 1st

For the late 1st I would take

Curtis Lazar,center here if he is still available
"Skilled physical center who combines good playmaking skills and an accurate shot with grit. Reliable face-off man, relentless forechecker. A big-bodied player who sticks his nose in and can carry a significant amount of the on-ice load. Strong on his skates and good with his stick in traffic. Creates scoring chances with his quickness by forcing turnovers, and heavy pressure. Well rounded and samrt on every part of the pond. Scored 30 goals as 16 year old in 2011-12, and will probably score at least that many this season. He possesses a quick release and very hard shot. Stats do not tell the full story on him, and his character and upside are such that he will be a toatl team player who might just surprise you when he starts lighting the lamp.
--Bill Placzek--"

or Mirco Mueller LD
"Swiss defender with all around the rink smarts. Diagnoses the situation and reacts accordingly. Good puck carrier who can go up ice quickly or slow the game down. Closes down on attackers and is a good hitter. Just starting to scratch the surface of his potential. Player rising on the radar.
--Bill Placzek--"

For the 2nd round, Jets have two picks
Here are my choices

Tyler hill, 6'6 225 lb LW
"Huge aggressive winger who is blossoming into a force with great long-term upside. Budding power wing who is smart in most phases and able to inflict damage in all forms possible. Skates well when carrying the puck and is a load when he stickhandles down. Lowers a shoulder and puches through at full steam. He can handle the puck at top speed and is proving to be a fine playmaker too. Poised, skilled AND plain nasty. Hits to hurt and finishes guys off. He plays hard and has a real strong shot from the perimeter, but is far from a perimeter guy as he pounds his way in, and makes smart plays on most touches. Skates with short strides and a bit too upright but he skates well with or without the biscuit. Lived his early years on the reservation that is part of his heritage. Tremedous potential. "

Ian McCoshen 6'3 200lb LD
"Big skilled two-way defender who committed to Boston College. Plays to his size with strong physicality in the front and on the wall. Has good functional strength and can handle physical attackers. Skates well and has good skill when he has the puck.
Has the potential and demeanor to continue to work hard to be an extremely talented player. Doesn't get ruffled in the defensive zone and stays cool with his puck decisions back there. "

Michael Downing 6'3 190lb LD
" was the captain of Team USA at the 2012 Ivan Hlinka Tournament and then won a gold medal as part of Team USA at the 2012 World Junior A Challenge in Yarmouth, NS. Skates well for a big guy and likes to play physical – generally likes to keep things simple."

3rd round there are two picks also, since and if the Jets get a first from Pittsburgh

Here are my choices

Eric Roy 6'3 190lb LD
Markova Dano 5'11 180lb C

Flyer(s) or Project draft pick
Jc Lipon 6'0 180lb RW
Sergie Tolchinsky 5'8 160lb Rw
Anton slepyshev 6'0 170 LW

Last edited by Jetsfareast: 03-10-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old
03-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Andy6
Court Jetster

That uniform that Barkov has on is insane. Hopefully that's not the NHL in 10 years.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Channelcat

vCash: 2014
It seams like size is a big factor for Jet management so Gauthier and Mantha are probably high on the list. Gauthier looks awesome on paper, but I didn't think he looked that great watching him on Sportsnet the other day.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:15 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
It seams like size is a big factor for Jet management so Gauthier and Mantha are probably high on the list. Gauthier looks awesome on paper, but I didn't think he looked that great watching him on Sportsnet the other day.
Chevy also like speed. It is hard to find though. Erne would be fun.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Could have had him fir a 7th last year. 2nd would be a bit much IMO.
Same could have been said of David Perron, Tanner Pearson, Wayne Simmonds, etc as well.

Slepshev was well known last year, people had him ranked 30-45. Clearly teams had talked to him and he had no interest in coming to NA. Unless he has changed his tone, no need to waste a pick on Slepshev. If he has, he could go as high as 25-30, IMO.

Anyways, I feel like this whole "strong draft class'" thing is becoming HUGELY overrated. Outside of the top bit, it's completely impossible at this time to predict if the 2nd half of 1st round or later is stronger than any other year.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:18 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Same could have been said of David Perron, Tanner Pearson, Wayne Simmonds, etc as well.

Slepshev was well known last year, people had him ranked 30-45. Clearly teams had talked to him and he had no interest in coming to NA. Unless he has changed his tone, no need to waste a pick on Slepshev. If he has, he could go as high as 25-30, IMO.

Anyways, I feel like this whole "strong draft class'" thing is becoming HUGELY overrated. Outside of the top bit, it's completely impossible at this time to predict if the 2nd half of 1st round or later is stronger than any other year.
Tanner Pearson and em weren't considered top end talents when they are passed over though.

Slepshev was a known commodity last year too. I don't see his value changing that much in a year.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:00 PM
GoldenJet89

vCash: 362
Any CHL experts able to offer some insight as to why Nicolas Petan is always slotted as a very late 1st rounder - early second rounder?

I know he's undersized for a center, and I dont know a lot about his playstyle.

But in 67 games he has 45 goals, 66 assists for 111 points... and is an amazing +63.

I know points arent the be all end all with junior players, and he benefits from a talented team. Just seems like a kid with that kind of offensive output and potential should be a bit higher on the list, no? He is leading the CHL in points.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:52 PM
bloodygoalie

Has this type of draft trade ever happened in the NHL:

Trading a draft pick for a round higher the following year?

It happens on occasion in the NFL, but I haven't been following the NHL draft for that long, but my impressions are that you are lucky if you get even one player that ends up making your team from each draft. And after the first 5 picks or so, you are lucky if you get an eventual third line player in the first round (or maybe I need do more "research" on past drafts)

Just wondering if the Jets could possibly trade one of their seconds for a first next year, or for a first in 2015 and hope that pick turns out to be a top selection. Maybe this trade is even more enticing for teams this year, if the draft is deemed "deep".

Thoughts?

Old
03-10-2013, 12:55 PM
JetsHomer

5'9 and 166 is what he's listed at...But if you see him he seems smaller. He's talented, but also on a dominant team.

When you're as small as he is, the bust factor is just so much bigger. Not many sub 5'10 players make the NHL, and it's not cause there's a lack of them playing the sport.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:31 PM
GoldenJet89

vCash: 362
makes sense. but even on a dominant team, surely theres the potential that he could become the next st louis. or better. i agree the bust factor would come in to play.

i think it may be smart for some team with a middle-late first rounder to take to him maybe before they expect him to go. his skill level from what little ive seen seems rediculous

Old
03-10-2013, 03:02 PM
JetsHomer

Definitely a high risk high reward player. Where a GM will choose the gamble is worth it is anyone's guess.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

How much value do our 3 second rounders hold?

If we make the playoffs and pick in the 15-20 range, could we package our first 4 picks to get into the top 6 in the first round? I think I'd rather get an almost sure-fire impact player than a bunch of maybes, although maybe the depth is good enough to take a chance with our own first and 3 seconds? I just feel like we need more top-end talent.

I want Chevy to get creative at the draft and look into all his options, not only in moving up or down, but also maybe landing a roster player for some of our picks if the deal is right. I've been beating this drum for awhile, but I really think there could be a huge league-wide shakeup this summer and I hope Chevy is ready to pounce if the deals are right.

He has the ammo and cap space to re-shape this team, especially if he can get some good value out of our rentals at the deadline.

Closed Thread