HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal music festivals (Heavy MTL/Osheaga etc.)

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Mrb1p

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
His music serves one purpose, for non-hip hop listeners to be introduced to hip-hop... Nothing more and nothing less. It's safe hip-hop for the new ears. I'm just not interested in listening to something that's "safe."

Mitch
Clearly haven't listened to Macklemore have yoy? Thrift shop is the worst song he made and by far. Another close one is And we danced. For the rest, they're all pretty good songs. I've been listening to him for two years now and I was really sad when he came out with Thrift Shop... I guess you have to make the step one day or the other.

Quote:
Green Day - Garage Rock/Punk
Mumford and Sons - Folk
Jimmy Eat World - Rock

POP - Madonna, Justin Timberlake, Michael Jackson, Grimes, Bjork, Blondie, The Cure (Pop-rock), etc
People think that because some band sells a lot it means they're pop. I've heard people saying Metallica was pop more than once. Pop-thrash metal man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
There's no way Mackelmore will headline. You can only play one song for so long before it gets boring.

Kendrick Lamar might be worth the trip to Montreal for though.
Jesus you should really feel bad.

Oh and the hate for Green day is too damn high.
You gotta go further than what plays on the radio and listen to the damn whole albums. I hate this.

Old
03-09-2013, 02:38 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

cure would be cool. i'd like to see someone like Nas be a headliner. he's a poet and not overly gangster. and i hope London Ont emcee Shad returns as well. real good vibe.

anyone hitting up the ottawa blues fest this summer?

Wu Tang Clan and BB King (not together lol)

Old
03-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Tribu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
cure would be cool. i'd like to see someone like Nas be a headliner. he's a poet and not overly gangster. and i hope London Ont emcee Shad returns as well. real good vibe.

Bluesfest got some solid artists right now...much better than waht is rumored for OSheaga. I REALLY want WU Tang in Montreal.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:35 AM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
If it's mainstream, people tend to irrationally hate it. That said, I'd be ecstatic to see Green Day, Mumford, and Jimmy Eat World all in the same weekend... They're three of my absolute favourite bands. Say my musical tastes are boring and mainstream, that's fine. I like the music and that's what matters to me.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Tribu

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRams514 View Post
If it's mainstream, people tend to irrationally hate it. That said, I'd be ecstatic to see Green Day, Mumford, and Jimmy Eat World all in the same weekend... They're three of my absolute favourite bands. Say my musical tastes are boring and mainstream, that's fine. I like the music and that's what matters to me.
I wouldn't say it's because it is mainstream. People were really happy with Eminem and Coldplay in the previous years. I just feel like there isn't a «can't miss» artist right now except maybe for the Cure. But let's wait for the full lineup.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:10 AM
StlRams514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasoad View Post
I wouldn't say it's because it is mainstream. People were really happy with Eminem and Coldplay in the previous years. I just feel like there isn't a «can't miss» artist right now except maybe for the Cure. But let's wait for the full lineup.
I'd say Green Day is definitely a can't miss band. The people who constantly crap on them have likely never seen them live, but they put on one of the best live shows around. (Up there with Muse and Coldplay) I know people think the 'new' Green Day is crap, and I can understand why you wouldn't like it, but their live shows usually consist of 50% material pre-21stCB, and the energy/production put into make it worth seeing.
That said I don't expect anyone to pick up and go see Green Day based on this post, I'm just saying people crap on em for the sake of crapping on em more often than not.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Tribu

Quote:
I'd say Green Day is definitely a can't miss band. The people who constantly crap on them have likely never seen them live, but they put on one of the best live shows around. (Up there with Muse and Coldplay) I know people think the 'new' Green Day is crap, and I can understand why you wouldn't like it, but their live shows usually consist of 50% material pre-21stCB, and the energy/production put into make it worth seeing.
That said I don't expect anyone to pick up and go see Green Day based on this post, I'm just saying people crap on em for the sake of crapping on em more often than not.
I understand your point. I think that most people do not hate Green day, they're mostly neutral towards them. Since it's pretty expensive to buy tickets, I feel like it's not a band that will draw a lot of interest as a headliner. I actually liked Green Day when I was younger and remember playing their songs in a band but I don't feel like they «fit» with the Osheaga crowd.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:29 PM
StlRams514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasoad View Post
I understand your point. I think that most people do not hate Green day, they're mostly neutral towards them. Since it's pretty expensive to buy tickets, I feel like it's not a band that will draw a lot of interest as a headliner. I actually liked Green Day when I was younger and remember playing their songs in a band but I don't feel like they «fit» with the Osheaga crowd.
I'll agree with that, they definitely don't fit with Osheaga, but oh well. I've never really had much interest in Osheaga before anyways

Old
03-09-2013, 01:42 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
I'll agree with that, they definitely don't fit with Osheaga, but oh well. I've never really had much interest in Osheaga before anyways
There are bands every year that don't "fit" with Osheaga. That's why there are bands on 3 different stages all day long. They also want to have many different genres to attract as many people as they can, it's just not for Indie fans.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:

Might need to hit this up this summer, seeing the master himself and Lucille would be a dream come true.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:30 PM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Clearly haven't listened to Macklemore have yoy? Thrift shop is the worst song he made and by far. Another close one is And we danced. For the rest, they're all pretty good songs. I've been listening to him for two years now and I was really sad when he came out with Thrift Shop... I guess you have to make the step one day or the other.

People think that because some band sells a lot it means they're pop. I've heard people saying Metallica was pop more than once. Pop-thrash metal man

Jesus you should really feel bad.

Oh and the hate for Green day is too damn high.
You gotta go further than what plays on the radio and listen to the damn whole albums. I hate this.
I have listened to Macklemore's entire repertoire. He is not a good rapper.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Tribu

Osheaga's lineup revealed today at 8!!!

Old
03-11-2013, 10:40 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Mackelmore is awful. Green Day was never punk, but whatever they're trying to pass off as music right now is really awful. Jimmy Eat World is an emo band, but I guess they have a lot of pop sensibility.
Kendrick Lamar would be awesome at Oscheaga.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I have listened to Macklemore's entire repertoire. He is not a good rapper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Mackelmore is awful. Green Day was never punk, but whatever they're trying to pass off as music right now is really awful. Jimmy Eat World is an emo band, but I guess they have a lot of pop sensibility.
Kendrick Lamar would be awesome at Oscheaga.
I have listened to Macklemores entire repertoire. He is a good rapper.

He's not Hopsin or anything but he's a good rapper.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:14 PM
MJG

Nothing bothers me more than people labeling music as good or bad. Music is suggestive. Stop passing off an opinion as fact. I have my preferences and so does everyone else but you don't need to insult people's taste. It's very frustrating. And this isn't to attack Mitch, because he said very little. But people do it all the time and it does nothing but stir the spot. Everyone prefers different genres and everyone has their favorite bands.

Since the lineup is being revealed tonight it would be nice if this thread could serve as a place for people to discuss artists and bands they are excited to see instead of having to defend their taste to self righteous music snobs.

I know Osheaga is getting bigger every year and has a larger profile but there are many of us who enjoy the festival and enjoy discussing it in this thread. I have been coming into this thread for years to get tips on bands to check out and other info and it has been great to me. Let's try to keep it that way.

Cheers!

Old
03-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
Nothing bothers me more than people labeling music as good or bad. Music is suggestive. Stop passing off an opinion as fact. I have my preferences and so does everyone else but you don't need to insult people's taste. It's very frustrating. And this isn't to attack Mitch, because he said very little. But people do it all the time and it does nothing but stir the spot. Everyone prefers different genres and everyone has their favorite bands.

Since the lineup is being revealed tonight it would be nice if this thread could serve as a place for people to discuss artists and bands they are excited to see instead of having to defend their taste to self righteous music snobs.

I know Osheaga is getting bigger every year and has a larger profile but there are many of us who enjoy the festival and enjoy discussing it in this thread. I have been coming into this thread for years to get tips on bands to check out and other info and it has been great to me. Let's try to keep it that way.

Cheers!

Amen.
Music is a beautiful thing and you need to actually want to like something if you want to like it. It could sound crazy, but I listen to many genres of music going from all the subgenres of Metal, Rap, HipHop, Blues, Classical, Punk, Indie, rock.... and it alls makes me happy. I either bang my head, throw my fist in the air, chill out listening to music, play along or sing along. People should reallllly stop to hate on music because ''its popular'' or other reasons. People would feel sooooo much better. I can agree though that some people can't like X genres... and be constructive about it. But to go and say Oh X-Y-Z sucks because X and this festival now sucks because of X is kinda childish and goes to the exact oposite of what musics should be.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:19 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:

I've seen The Cure years ago in Toronto at the Curiosa Festival along with Muse. Amazing show to say the least. Shad would be amazing.

I'm definitely going to the Ottawa Bluesfest (I do live in Ottawa). Should be good compared to last years terrible lineup.

Depending on your taste in music, I suggest checking out the Ottawa Folkfest this summer. It was WAAAAAYYYY better than Bluefest last year. Had so much fun. Great artists like Dan Mangan, Great Lake Swimmers, John K. Samson, Patrick Watson, Matt Good, Bon Iver, Hey Rosetta!, Old Man Luedeckie... just amazing list of artists. IMO anyway hehe.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:22 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

And for the record, old Green Day was pop-punk. Not even debatable. I'm talking 39 on Smooth right up to Nimrod. After that... pop rock I guess would describe it. I still liked everything before Warning (warning included). After that, can't stand it but if people like it, all the power to them.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Amen.
Music is a beautiful thing and you need to actually want to like something if you want to like it. It could sound crazy, but I listen to many genres of music going from all the subgenres of Metal, Rap, HipHop, Blues, Classical, Punk, Indie, rock.... and it alls makes me happy. I either bang my head, throw my fist in the air, chill out listening to music, play along or sing along. People should reallllly stop to hate on music because ''its popular'' or other reasons. People would feel sooooo much better. I can agree though that some people can't like X genres... and be constructive about it. But to go and say Oh X-Y-Z sucks because X and this festival now sucks because of X is kinda childish and goes to the exact oposite of what musics should be.
everything you're saying is true, problem is : from my years of hanging around on music boards and having music as one of my #1 hobby/passion (guess the #2), music related discussion often combines emotion, taste, life experience, and lots of people seeking validation from listening to X or Y genre or artist, so its pretty hard to keep a music discussion rational and objective unless everyone in the discussion are music geeks and understand other peoples taste and/or understand what other people love in something they don't like themself

so let's break it down to this :
-Genres debate are stupid, just stop it.
-Listen to what sounds good to you even if it's Justin Beiber, stop seeking validation. I might not like him, but if you do it's your own thing

now for my 2 cents : I don't really care about green day anymore, they sold out, I don't like their sound anymore, but this is not why I don't agree with putting them on headline at Osheaga. I don't agree with the decision because they don't fit the direction this festival has taken for the past couple of years. Montréal is known to be THE place with the greatest indie scene in the world, and Osheaga usually represented that... I guess they're going someplace else from now on, and i'm not too happy with it, but heh, I still might go if Kendrick Lamar is on a good day I guess

Old
03-11-2013, 02:49 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
I have listened to Macklemores entire repertoire. He is a good rapper.

He's not Hopsin or anything but he's a good rapper.
So have I, he's very not good. Hopsin is also not that good.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:53 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Quote:
I agree with you on that. If he likes it, that's fine but IMO he's got now flow. Roots, Shad, Common, Doomtree, Aesop Rock, that's what I call good hip-hop. They have flow, and none of that gansta/thug crap either. But to each his own.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdom View Post
I agree with you on that. If he likes it, that's fine but IMO he's got now flow. Roots, Shad, Common, Doomtree, Aesop Rock, that's what I call good hip-hop. They have flow, and none of that gansta/thug crap either. But to each his own.
'Not that good'... How can somebody be not that good at art ? Explain this to me. It might not fit your style, because you look like you like fast/Flawless flow(Gunnerdom), but it doesnt mean he's not great and doesnt talk about things that matters, oh and he gives a show. It's all fine and dandy that you don't find him good. But he fits perfectly with the hip-hop culture(both of them actually).
Art is the most subjective thing you can find out there.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:51 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Quote:
'Not that good'... How can somebody be not that good at art ? Explain this to me. It might not fit your style, because you look like you like fast/Flawless flow(Gunnerdom), but it doesnt mean he's not great and doesnt talk about things that matters, oh and he gives a show. It's all fine and dandy that you don't find him good. But he fits perfectly with the hip-hop culture(both of them actually).
Art is the most subjective thing you can find out there.
You have to separate art from entertainment. Like saying Spice Girls is art. No... it's entertainment. Nothing artistic about them. A lot of the pop stars nowadays are entertainment but have nothing to do with art.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdom View Post
You have to separate art from entertainment. Like saying Spice Girls is art. No... it's entertainment. Nothing artistic about them. A lot of the pop stars nowadays are entertainment but have nothing to do with art.
Well if you say Macklemore is only ''entertainement'' I can't do nothing for you. Expand your horizon, man.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:59 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Quote:
Well if you say Macklemore is only ''entertainement'' I can't do nothing for you. Expand your horizon, man.
expand? I literally listen to every style of music except for electronic music. jeez. I'm just more discerning than some.

Closed Thread