HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A look back at the Roy trade

Old
03-10-2013, 12:10 AM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
We only did one of many steps. Still, was in the right direction.

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:11 AM
Djp

vCash: 500
i dont have much issue with the trade other than why was it for Ott and Pardy and not Ott and something else. Going into last year we didnt need more Dmen who had no moves left.

If the issue was balncing player salaries then I would say we do that but we also get some young player or pick from their system.

i agree we would have gotten more if we held onto roy and moved him now.

I agree a move needed to be made.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:03 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

vCash: 50
wait, we blame Darcy for letting the kids play Center and not replace Roy, but on the other hand want Vanek, Poms, Miller traded to have even more kids in the line up?

change takes time, you can't right the 1000 mistakes that were made when we couldn't even afford to keep our own players.

for the record: I don't care if Darcy is GM or not or if another guy comes in trying to right the ship.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
wait, we blame Darcy for letting the kids play Center and not replace Roy, but on the other hand want Vanek, Poms, Miller traded to have even more kids in the line up?
"We" is a blanket statement. "I" don't want to trade Vanek, Pominville, and Miller, and I didn't want to trade Roy until his value was back up and we already had a replacement that was roster ready. Since that didn't happen and Regier's best move for a checking C/FW was Hecht, I thought they may as well get Grigorenko ice time and prep him for next season since 1) being so weak down the middle 2) lacking a capable 2nd line that would keep FES in mis-matches on the 3rd line and 3) having two old d-men that didn't play at all during the lockout and Myers still struggling (which I blame Ruff for) helped to set the d-corps up for failure, made this season nothing more than an extended training camp for 2013-14.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:12 AM
kirby11

Still like having ott here, although at the time I had wished we'd thrown in Luke Adam to get something else besides pardy back. The problem was not getting a good defensively responsible center through another trade or FA to replace roy

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Jamie Walker

i think if we still had Roy, that we'd be in a playoff spot right now, Ruff would still be coach, and we'd probably lose out in the first round again. I think Roy is a great player and wanted to keep him, but i'm glad how things have worked out. Ruff's gone, Regier is forced to re-evaluate, and we're pretty close to a top 3 pick (i know it's still early). looking at it now, i'd do it again.

Jamie Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

I don't like Roy's attitude, opposite of intangibles, etc. etc. etc. but he has 15 points in 18 games.

I love Ott to death, but we lost that trade. Darcy never found a replacement, leaving our 3rd line miserably vacant. We should have overpaid a little bit for a player like Goc. Also, honestly, Leino being out has hurt us. He's a viable option on a 3rd scoring line, or if he finds chemistry with anyone could have slotted in the top 6. I know absence makes the heart grow fonder, but he'd be a better option than Gerbe.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Karate Johnson*
Zemgus is my Copilot

I would rather waive Roy for no return than watch him play another game for the Sabres.

Least favorite player in the last decade.

Karate Johnson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
We only did one of many steps. Still, was in the right direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I love what Ott brings - the physical play, the off-ice accountability/accessibility and candor. That said, they went into the year without adequate center experience and losing both their primary defensive zone start pivots in the last year (Roy and Gaustad) and replacing them with youth tends to burn a team. It certainly burned Ruff right out of a job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Deck chairs have been shuffled. The biggest failing for the on-ice product is probably Regier's inability to find an adequate replacement center last summer.
This, all together.

Loved the deal when I was assuming that we'd be bringing in a veteran third c to stabilize things.

Love ott, but that veteran third c is desperately needed.......

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:13 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

I'm a little nervous that the organization has done a bunch of things it seems EVERY fan wanted. Trade Roy, keep Grigorenko up, fire Lindy. It can be argued that none of those things were in the best interest of the team (or they may prove to be good decisions).

On the Roy trade in particular, he did a lot of unnoticeable things well and a lot of noticeable things poorly and that ultimately spelled his demise for the fans. I didn't hate trading him if we could replace his offensive skill, or compensate for the loss with different offensive skills and while I like Steve Ott, he achieves neither. With Grigorenko, Hodgson, Girgensons, and Ennis I think I would probably still do the trade and commit to rebuilding.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:23 PM
pigpen65

Kassian for Hodgson. Roy for Ott.

Muscle and grit for soft talent. Soft talent for muscle and grit. Nothing gained. Basically a last ditch effort to save Lindy's job with a lateral move just to get some fresh blood in. As the Bills have always shown us, there is no compensation for poor coaching.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Matt Martin
Generational Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post

Muscle and grit for soft talent. Soft talent for muscle and grit. Nothing gained. Basically a last ditch effort to save Lindy's job with a lateral move just to get some fresh blood in. As the Bills have always shown us, there is no compensation for poor coaching.
the acquisition of Hodgson's soft talent was a huge victory

Matt Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Vito_81

I thought we lost the trade the second I heard about it.

But I was more than willing to let it slide considering this teams needed more guys like Ott. Also add in the behind the scenes issues with Roy and I was willing to accept the trade as it was.

As others have said, the problem here was DR didn't bring in a replacement C. We are definitely better off with Ott and new C vs Roy but straight up it's a sideways move at best.

It was the perfect step 1 move. The problem was there was no step to that followed.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:07 PM
thekenneth

Roy was a pretty good centre but hogdson took his place. I would have liked to keep roy another season. he is doing well in dallas nearly a point a game.

thekenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:33 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

I liked the trade and still do. Darcy should do his damn job and fill the hole at centre separately.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:33 AM
Clock

I still look at it as a trade that would make the team worse in the immediate future and better in the longer stretch, and I'm still fine with it.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:44 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I thought we got Ott to add to team toughness. After he skated away from Simmonds after the Ennis hit, I realized all we did was downgrade talent.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Ott had a pretty bad TO that led to the shortie, and took a stupid penalty later (which has been a habit). Like I said, he'd look better on a better team but he's not making a difference. Straight up it was a lost trade, and considering no follow up deal for a C it's even worse.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:23 AM
cardiffgiant
Movin' on up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post

I'd take Hodgson over Roy and Ott over Kassian all day long. Though... I may live to feel differently about Ott...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I thought we got Ott to add to team toughness. After he skated away from Simmonds after the Ennis hit, I realized all we did was downgrade talent.
Ott was just awful and probably had his worst game of the year last night. He sucked on the PP, had a couple of bad turnovers, took a stupid penalty on Rinaldo, and was the closest player to Simmonds after the Ennis hit.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:12 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Ott had a pretty bad TO that led to the shortie, and took a stupid penalty later (which has been a habit). Like I said, he'd look better on a better team but he's not making a difference. Straight up it was a lost trade, and considering no follow up deal for a C it's even worse.
We were worse off with Roy imho, he was useless when it mattered, soft and lazy. He put up points when it didn't matter, similar to Stafford. His better off. I do think we should have filled the hole at centre but that doesn't mean we lost the trade imho, just that Darcy is incompetent.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Roy anchored a 2nd line with Leino and Pominville that pulled quite a defensive workload. "Soft and Lazy" is just a lazy and biased way to describe him. How lazy can you be when you pull defensive assignments and still get dirty around the net (which Roy did do)? I thought Roy was a punk and he's not the kind of guy I'd want as a teammate, but he did a good job at C at both ends. Ott isn't my idea of a great teammate either, starting crap all game every game and not making a difference on the scoresheet.

I think this trade relied WAY too much on changing the atmosphere and not enough on improving the team.