HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kulemin (still) depressed?

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

vCash: 500
He was amazing in the KHL this year, obviously playing with Malkin, but still - he was amazing there

I think all this conjecture that he's depressed and moping around is just nonsense. Remember when his girlfriend miscarried? "Oh, Kulemin is depressed, that's why he's not scoring"

If he was truly depressed he'd be pulling a Toskala and falling off the map, not pacing respectably

Old
03-10-2013, 12:56 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
He was amazing in the KHL this year, obviously playing with Malkin, but still - he was amazing there

I think all this conjecture that he's depressed and moping around is just nonsense. Remember when his girlfriend miscarried? "Oh, Kulemin is depressed, that's why he's not scoring"

If he was truly depressed he'd be pulling a Toskala and falling off the map, not pacing respectably
Stop comparing him to other people.

Not everyone deals with depression the same way. Definitely seems like there's a lot more on his mind over here in Toronto. He seemed to really let go over in Russia.

Wonder if his parents are healthy or something?

03-10-2013, 01:33 AM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
His English is still poor and he is very introverted. He barely smiles when he scores - that's just him though - let's not rag him.
He wasn't always that way. Here's an interview during his rookie season with Antropov translating. Huge smile on his face.

Anyway, I'm not ragging on him, he's one of my favorites. But I'm starting to believe he would in fact be a lot happier if he was playing hockey back home in Russia. Or maybe on a different team with a heavy Russian presence.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:56 AM
Rielly4

when he skates hes not bad, but i dont see him or Grabo fitting here long term... I could be wrong... For this year they will both do.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:40 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
I think the issue is Grabo's lack of passing. I can't count the amount of times Kulemin has been open and grabs just holds onto the puck and either shoots at a bad angle or turns the puck over from the side/behind the net

Old
03-10-2013, 06:08 AM
MrVisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussianRocket View Post
Although he is still skating (something he's very good at), he seems to be operating on auto-pilot. Which is classic depression. Mishandles pucks he used to control fine, the play going one way and him not seeing where it's going and making a dumb decision.

I donno. Seems like there is more than meets the eye.
I think this guy is onto something. I got depressed once and had this uncontrollable urge to learn to skate. But when I did, I just skated around the ice like a zombie.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:29 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

I don't know if he's depressed or not; but it looks like he hasn't sharpened his skates since that 30g campaign.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:43 AM
thewave

Screw Kules, guy spent like weeks complaining about getting 2.8m and has not come close to that peeformance of 30g again. He goes to Rus. plays with fire, Oddly he probably has market value still.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:49 AM
Ricky Bobby

Kulemin gets 41 seconds of PP time a game compared to his career year where he got 2:39 per game because Lupul, Kadri and JVR all came to town.

His linemates aren't scoring as much.

He is being asked to shutdown players now instead of playing run n gun.

His shooting percentage two years ago was never going to be sustained.

Kulemin was a very stoic person before the plane crash and well he still is.

Kulemin should never be considered a 30 goal scorer. He was simply a guy who had a career year and scored 30. People need to just appreciate him for the 20 goal 45 point excellent defensive forward that he should be considered.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:26 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
There is no doubt in my mind that he is still depressed.
What a ridiculous comment.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:44 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Kulemin should never be considered a 30 goal scorer. He was simply a guy who had a career year and scored 30. People need to just appreciate him for the 20 goal 45 point excellent defensive forward that he should be considered.
I see your point, I really do. I fully agree that 30g should never be expected again.

But I can't appreciate him for a 20g forward because he isn't even close to that. He's on pace for 7g over 82 games yet again. It's extremely frustrating to watch, his puck handling is non-existent and there seems to be zero offensive ability left in him.

It boggles my mind how a player can fall off the map that quickly.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Inconceivable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Stop comparing him to other people.

Not everyone deals with depression the same way. Definitely seems like there's a lot more on his mind over here in Toronto. He seemed to really let go over in Russia.

Wonder if his parents are healthy or something?
His post was good. He didn't just assume that kulemin is depressed like a lot of you seem to be doing. We know that a lot of nhlers read hfboards, so can you imagine what they will think when they read this thread? It's all complete bs speculation about someone's personal life without a shred of evidence.

You know nothing at all about his parents so why would you think they have anything to do with his supposed depression? Why does it have to be depression that is causing the difference in point production between the khl and nhl? There are tons of hockey related reasons for you to choose from that others have already posted.

You guys have no idea if he is still being affected by that plane crash, no idea what his personality is like, no idea what he goes through his head on a daily basis. End this thread

Old
03-10-2013, 09:12 AM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

we are not psychologists. Kuly is fine on a 3rd or 4th line, not in a top 6 role though.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:19 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

The true depressing fact is how blind so many of you are to how well he's been playing this year. Once again, top ten in the league in blocked shots, key cog on the PK (28th to 7th) and on pace for 40 pts.

Once again, somebody please explain to me what the issue is without bringing up his 30 goal year. It's all your own faults for not adjusting your expectations which is what you should've done after last year.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:24 AM
UncleBob

Kulemin will be fine all he needs is an actual playmaking center, and that is not the type player grabovski is.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:31 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
The true depressing fact is how blind so many of you are to how well he's been playing this year. Once again, top ten in the league in blocked shots, key cog on the PK (28th to 7th) and on pace for 40 pts.

Once again, somebody please explain to me what the issue is without bringing up his 30 goal year. It's all your own faults for not adjusting your expectations which is what you should've done after last year.
I like him but offensively he has just lacked something. I would keep him but if the right trade came along the following including him i would move.

Mac, Connolly, Holzer, Komi, Bozak, Kules, Kostka, Gunner *but it is noted he has to have hip surgery so maybe get him on IR and do that now rather then later if possible.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor

You better call and ask his wife.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:16 AM
cynicism

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I attended todays game in person, and being a Kulemin fan, made special attention to follow him on the ice in the pre-game skate, during the game, general mannerisms.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is still depressed. I recall there was a thread on this topic in December of 2011 that someone confirmed having spent Christmas with him that he's mentally not there after the KHL plane crash.

I don't think his skills have left him, i think his mental well-being is not 100%. Not sure when and if he will come out of it. What are your thoughts? He's just back to earth after a one-off season, or is he still in there somewhere fighting a battle with depression?

I think the latter.
Do you know Kulemin personally? Do you have recognized degrees, qualifications and credentials necessary to make proper diagnoses?

I'm guessing the answer to these questions is a two letter word that begins with 'n' and ends with 'o'

Old
03-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Salgari

Send a message via MSN to Salgari
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post

for some reason I always imagine him. That's Elagabalus, Rome's second worse emperor of all time.
That is amazing

Old
03-10-2013, 10:36 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Goes from playing on a championship team, where he was MVP, to a perennial bottom feeder.

Maybe he just wants to win?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
03-10-2013, 10:41 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

if he scores a few goals he might smile a bit

Old
03-10-2013, 10:49 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Great post.

On his time in the KHL, it looked as though he found his offensive flair a little bit again (38 points in 35 games played I think, while on a line with Malkin)

That led a lot of people (me included) to proclaim that he was going to have a bounce back year offensively this year. Hasn't materialized.

But there's no doubt that he's looked better this season, than last - he looked like he was loosely going through the motions last year which isn't the case this year. The compete and effort are definitely back.
You don't think that has anything to do with it? Or the fact that pretty much everyone scores in the KHL(Komarov was PPG or close).

He has looked much better than last year though.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:56 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
He's in a different role this year, and Grabovski hasn't been doing him any favours.

Kulemin doesn't shoot nearly enough as he should. He has a lethal wrist shot but never makes any use of it.

I would like to see Kulemin with Kadri at some point
He hasn't been doing Grabo any favours either. I've seen plenty of times where Grabo or McClement gave Kule a wide open opportunity only for him to shoot high and wide. He makes up for it with his hussle and defense though.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:59 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
How many times has he over handled the puck? He needs to use his quick release more often.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:00 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
I think the issue is Grabo's lack of passing. I can't count the amount of times Kulemin has been open and grabs just holds onto the puck and either shoots at a bad angle or turns the puck over from the side/behind the net
What about the countless times Grabo feeds him the puck and he shoots high and wide?

Closed Thread