HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 6 "Posters who should be GM"

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 09:25 PM
stoff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincaptain View Post
Why are you surprised about Ferraro's comment? Both Fleury and Vokoun are playing legitimately terribly. Vokoun was a disaster last year too. Do you watch Pittsburgh games?
Because its hard to believe that Pittsburgh would want 12 million tied up in goalies. And truthfully didn't know vokoun was playing that terribly.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:25 PM
dixs35

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
I get the appeal with Myers but do you think he would turn it around in Edmonton? When's the last time we did that?
Jason Smith.... I tend to believe Myers is worth the gamble. Maybe he doesn't get back to an allstar level he should be a top 4 guy for years.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:29 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Have to be more realistic, Perry isn't coming here.

Grab someone like Caron from Boston and hope he becomes that solid 6'3 centre we need. Hemsky for Caron and Camara?

Ott would add some passion to this lineup. Lineup is disgustingly lifeless.
Not giving Hemsky up for that crap.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:33 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Petry and yakupov for kulikov and gudbranson

I know I know wishful thinking
I would be interested in Kulikov but Gudbranson hasn't proven anything yet and is still developing.

I was thinking a deal around Gagner for Kulikov and Shore. What would we have to add. They need some legit skill in their top 6.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:34 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Here's the thing, I don't WANT to trade Yak either, BUT, looking ahead at the team, if I have a choice of having 4 top forwards and 1 top D, or 3 top forwards and 2 top D, I think I'm willing to move one of those forwards to get that done.

When you look at the age of the forward group and the contracts, if they can land a 24-26 year old stabilizing LD that can play 24 mins a night with Schultz for someone like Yakupov do you not think it's worth considering depending on who the return would be? I agree that it'd be nicer to be able to make that trade using our 1st round pick this year, but is that really going to be enough to get it done is my question.

And as far as trade value and marketability for teams like Buffalo or Florida etc, you'd think Yak is the perfect trading chip.

I think if he's on the table, then there can't be too many D-men on those aforementioned teams or anyone else looking to shake things up for that matter that are untouchable.

As for Myers, like Stoff said, I'd be worried about him turning it around and consider that a risk and wouldn't be willing to move Yak for him though. That said, if he's available you gotta think since he's a right handed shot that we would be at least talking Petry + going the other way, no? The Oilers could put the 1st rouner in play but I'm thinking Petry and the 1st is a bit much for a guy that MIGHT turn it around. Plus the Oil would still need a #1 LD, and to me that's where Yak comes in.

Thinking about it, how good would Yak look with Grigs on the Sabres but honestly I just don't know if Buffalo has THE guy the Oil need.

Gudbranson in Florida is the guy I'd be targeting only problem is he's a RD as well. BUT, he's been compared to a "Pronger 2.0" and to me, that sounds exactly like what the Oilers need, no?

There's one other player on the Panthers I think the Oil could really use and his name is Huberdeau.

So...lets just say for discussion sake, if the Oilers put assets like Yakupov, 2013 1st round pick, Gagner and a d-man in play would that get the conversation going for Gudbranson and Huberdeau in Florida? If not, what kind of return do you guys think it would bring?

IMHO if the Oil can make a deal based on something along those lines, they are a more balanced team going forward.

And added note to this...Ray Ferraro was on Team 1040 friday morning saying that he's hearing that Florida is ready to do something. I'm sure there must be a link to the morning show podcast that would have the quote for those interested.

Edit: my mistake, it was Elliot Freidman that mentioned the Panthers are "Ready to make moves" just after the 43:00 mark

http://www.teamradio.ca/podcast/1040...way_Honda~.mp3

He went on the mention that you aren't getting any of the kids out of there, but that was in context with the Canucks looking to deal with the Panthers.
So if none of the kids are available that leaves you one of Tallon's overpays. Honestly I would look at Matthias. I've wanted him for a while. He looks like a good 3rd liner who can play 2nd in a pinch and is still young enough to fit with our group.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:35 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Trade Yak if you want but he's got one of the best shots in the league at 19 years old. You'll be watching him get 50 goals in a season down the road on another team.

I would never support trading away Yak... it's a desperate move... as has been said before if you need a pickup truck don't trade your Ferrari away to get one.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:42 PM
rockinghockey

I think our biggest problem is the centre position. When we constantly don't win the facaeoff we are too busy chasing the puck. We need to be better with the 2C, 3C, and 4C. RNH is only 19 and he is actually improving from last year from 37% to 42%. Our 2C doesnt have to be a 60 point player but needs to be around 45-50, over 50% on the faceoff, have size and good plaing both ends of the ice.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:11 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Jason Smith.... I tend to believe Myers is worth the gamble. Maybe he doesn't get back to an allstar level he should be a top 4 guy for years.
Unfortunately his cap hit is 5.5 million for 6 years after this one.

If we only get a top 4 guy, that looks pretty expensive.

If we get a legitimate top pairing guy, then the deal looks pretty good.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:13 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Unfortunately his cap hit is 5.5 million for 6 years after this one.

If we only get a top 4 guy, that looks pretty expensive.

If we get a legitimate top pairing guy, then the deal looks pretty good.
That's the risk. I wouldn't give yak or our 1st for him. I would take a chance if we could buy extremely low.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
5.5 for the next 6 years is an awfully big gamble for a guy that could turn into just a top 4 d-man.
Edmonton hasn't been the kindest place for players coming in with low confidence. Lupul, Cole, Belanger, ect. Rarely does a player turn his game back around for the better here. Far more cases of the opposite happening.

With that being said, if he's literally, and very well could be, the only top 4 defenseman with top 2 potential available to the Oilers, you gotta go for it.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:46 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Is he worth 5.5 million if he doesn't though? That's a lot for a second pairing guy

edit: Should've read farther... Sdig14 and Bergeron47 beat me to it

Old
03-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Paralyzer008

I think I found a solid fit for us that could be available.

Rich Peverley.

He's offensively having a down year, but he has 59.6% in the faceoff circle, and his previous offensive stats suggest he's an ideal 3rd line C who isn't paid too much. Carl Soderberg is coming in for Boston so he may be expendable.

3.25M cap hit until 2015-16

What would that cost us? It would allow us to buyout Horcoff. I think this would be a solid contending future third line

Paajarvi-Peverley-Gagner

Wonder if maybe Boston considers something around Hartikainen and one of our second rounders for him.

Last edited by Paralyzer008: 03-09-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old
03-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post

Rich Peverley.

He's offensively having a down year, but he has 59.6% in the faceoff circle, and his previous offensive stats suggest he's an ideal 3rd line C who isn't paid too much. Carl Soderberg is coming in for Boston so he may be expendable.

What would that cost us? It would allow us to buyout Horcoff. I think this would be a solid contending future third line

Paajarvi-Peverley-Gagner

Wonder if maybe Boston considers something around Hartikainen and one of our second rounders for him.
No thanks..What we need is a top line D and a 1st/2nd line C...not another Belanger.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:22 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
No thanks..What we need is a top line D and a 1st/2nd line C...not another Belanger.
He's not Belanger, 42 pts in 57 games last year, 55 points before that, he's actually a third line C on a contending team.

We have a No.1 C (RNH) and we might as well draft a No.2 C (Barkov/Lindholm), but if we buyout Horcoff for cap relief then we are screwed at third line C. This helps us.

Anton Lander has not shown me enough to prove he is a capable third line C at this time.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
He's not Belanger, 42 pts in 57 games last year, 55 points before that, he's actually a third line C on a contending team.

We have a No.1 C (RNH) and we might as well draft a No.2 C (Barkov/Lindholm), but if we buyout Horcoff for cap relief then we are screwed at third line C. This helps us.

Anton Lander has not shown me enough to prove he is a capable third line C at this time.
Well the 55 'before that' was back when he was 26 years old..4 years ago. I really doubt he gets there again.

Sure, I'd take him over Belanger but, so what? 3rd line C isn't our most pressing problem.
RNH is worn out and currently playing like a 3rd line C. Hall is frustrated and Eberle needs a break. Yak is a rookie that needs more ice time but will make mistakes. Gagner..well, I don't know what Gagner is doing. Some shifts he looks like a 2nd line C, some shifts he gives the puck away or fails his assignment 4-5 times for the shift.
The top 6 is the wrong mix and no matter how you shuffle the deck chairs, it isn't going to work. We need 2 different players there..with some strength, size, faceoff skill..whatever.
We need a different dynamic in the top 6 and only a competant management group is going to be able to fix that.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Well the 55 'before that' was back when he was 26 years old..4 years ago. I really doubt he gets there again.

Sure, I'd take him over Belanger but, so what? 3rd line C isn't our most pressing problem.
RNH is worn out and currently playing like a 3rd line C. Hall is frustrated and Eberle needs a break. Yak is a rookie that needs more ice time but will make mistakes. Gagner..well, I don't know what Gagner is doing. Some shifts he looks like a 2nd line C, some shifts he gives the puck away or fails his assignment 4-5 times for the shift.
The top 6 is the wrong mix and no matter how you shuffle the deck chairs, it isn't going to work. We need 2 different players there..with some strength, size, faceoff skill..whatever.
We need a different dynamic in the top 6 and only a competant management group is going to be able to fix that.
So, you're looking at:
Hall-RNH-Eberle
BLANK-BLANK-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Peverley-Gagner

one of those blanks is solved by drafting Barkov or Lindholm, and the other one could be solved by trading someone, notice Hemsky isn't in the top nine there. He's either dealt for a 2nd line big LW or a top four D-man, whatever is available. Another problem will be the hole that Horcoff leaves when we need him to go for relief.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
So, you're looking at:
Hall-RNH-Eberle
BLANK-BLANK-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Peverley-Gagner

one of those blanks is solved by drafting Barkov or Lindholm, and the other one could be solved by trading someone, notice Hemsky isn't in the top nine there. He's either dealt for a 2nd line big LW or a top four D-man, whatever is available. Another problem will be the hole that Horcoff leaves when we need him to go for relief.
Eep

We need to get two established guys into those 2nd line spots. If we were to draft barkov, time to keep the player away for a season. Too much youth already.

Two bigger competitive forwards fot the 2nd line and move Gagner for some defensive help.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:46 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
5.5 for the next 6 years is an awfully big gamble for a guy that could turn into just a top 4 d-man.
Edmonton hasn't been the kindest place for players coming in with low confidence. Lupul, Cole, Belanger, ect. Rarely does a player turn his game back around for the better here. Far more cases of the opposite happening.

With that being said, if he's literally, and very well could be, the only top 4 defenseman with top 2 potential available to the Oilers, you gotta go for it.
I tend to believe that may be the case. The league is full of Dmen who showed well early in their career only to regress for a few seasons and then regain their form. Young D are mercurial and take years to master the league. He was absolutely dominant as a rookie and decent last year. He is a bet I would make to regain his form.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Eep

We need to get two established guys into those 2nd line spots. If we were to draft barkov, time to keep the player away for a season. Too much youth already.

Two bigger competitive forwards fot the 2nd line and move Gagner for some defensive help.
Yeah, that's where I was leaning...

Old
03-09-2013, 11:51 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:

Rich Peverley.

Paajarvi-Peverley-Gagner

I'm a big fan of his. So is Boston unfortunately... He's not getting moved

Old
03-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'm a big fan of his. So is Boston unfortunately... He's not getting moved
Even with Soderberg's arrival? I think he could be had, lets say Boston trades for Perry and wants to extend him. They will need around 3M in cap space at least. With Soderberg's arrival, Peverley becomes expendable because they would have a direct replacement for him.

I saw a few Bruins writers thinking he could be the eventual odd man out.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:58 AM
#ualberta

I wonder what our 1st round pick would be worth at the draft if its a 2nd or 3rd overall pick
if we can gdt something substantial i think i might want to trade it i'm sick of prospects and rookies.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:58 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I agree with The Nuge. I love Peverley, but he fits in perfectly on the Bs and wouldn't be as effective anywhere else. He certainly wouldn't be a major fix for Edmonton's problems.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:46 AM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Trade Yak if you want but he's got one of the best shots in the league at 19 years old. You'll be watching him get 50 goals in a season down the road on another team.

I would never support trading away Yak... it's a desperate move... as has been said before if you need a pickup truck don't trade your Ferrari away to get one.
Yeah, I'm really scared they'll start looking at trading one of the young guns and decide the right move is to trade away the "lazy russian" with the immense shot and skill who just happen to be one of the most driven players I've seen instead of one of the "good ol' canadian boys" who seems to have questionable work ethic and a sense of entitlement.

I don't want to move any of the kids atm but if I were to move one it sure as hell wouldn't be Yakupov.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
So, you're looking at:
Hall-RNH-Eberle
BLANK-BLANK-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Peverley-Gagner

Haha why would Gagner become the third line right winger?

Closed Thread