HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Tired of the Oilers in the lottery?

View Poll Results: Does it annoy you to see the Oilers headed for another potential #1 overall pick?
Yes 222 71.38%
No 31 9.97%
Undecided/ Don't give a **** 58 18.65%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 500
Yes. That franchise isn't going anywhere. What a WASTE of talent for anyone who ends up there.

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:36 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguination View Post
Id like to be a scout for the oilers. All you'd have to do is read some CBC rankings and you're all set

dude what?

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:33 PM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 50
I'm sick of it, but at the same time I can't hate the Oilers because of it. Their fans complain about their team sucking all the time and I'm kind of starting to feel bad for their fanbase lol. I hope the Oilers pick it up and start getting better, their fanbase deserves it because they went from being one of the most respected organizations in the league to the laughingstock.

03-09-2013, 10:35 PM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post

dude what?
He means its not hard choosing the first overall cause usually there's always a #1 consensus

ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:12 PM
gatosauce12345

I think management should be automatically fired after 2 or 3 seasons in the lottery.

Aka head coach, and GM

gatosauce12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
it gets annoying when you see a GM do absolutely nothing to try and improve a team and then get a first round pick when a team like the bluejackets deserved it more
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Jealous? No

Annoyed at their fans every offseason= Yes
Last offseason- OMG, Hall, Eberle, RNH=We're the R0xx0rz!
This offseason....OMG! Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, RNH= Watch out NHL!
Voted Yes for these 2 reasons.

All though really I don't care, I hope they keep failing and struggling and end up like Atlanta did with there top talent.

So that way they never emerge as PIT or CHI and kick our *** consistently when the Sedins are gone.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:02 AM
Sergei Shirokov

I just wish CBJ could get it & get the top talent, they need it more.

There is potential in that Market IMO, they had good crowds when they first started and there was something to be excited about, although constant failure will drive the people away.

Just look at Colorado when they were winning, and look at them now, still a solid fan base but not what they were before, and there are more examples too, CBJ is the same IMO.

If they would ever get good I could see them sustaining some success. Hopefully JD and JK can turn that franchise in the right direction.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I'm sick of it. Sad that this dumb**** run team can't improve itself outside of the draft. I hate Tambo and his terrible lack of action. Sits on his ****ing hands and does nothing.

Oh and the draft parties? Those are for fair weather/bandwagon fans. No actual hockey fan is happy for being last. They are just there to calm the masses.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:03 AM
eklunds source

I don't understand people who say "this team has potential they just need leadership".

You think the difference between an annual bottom-5 finish and teams who make the playoffs consistently is leadership? The Oilers suck. Eager, Brown, and Hordichuk suck as hockey players. Hordichuk is the least awful of the 3 and he's the one sitting the most. The can't score at 5v5 to save their life and a 4th for Brown is the answer?

This isn't a team of callups and misfits. This is exactly the team Tambellini built. Every player on the roster was either brought in by him, or identified as a player they want in their starting lineup.

Continuing to pick 1st or top-5 isn't going to improve the team. Blah blah Pittsburgh Chicago.. They also had a talented supporting crew. Tambo has spent to the cap or said the playoffs are his goal every year he's been a GM.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Trap Jesus

I'm at the point where I consider it comical, so I voted no. Maybe after 5 or 6 times it'll start to get old.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:22 AM
zeus3007*

Yes, yes I am. But I'm an Oiler fan, so it should bug me that they suck yet again. I don't know why it bugs any of you non-Oil fans at all.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:26 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
I don't understand people who say "this team has potential they just need leadership".

You think the difference between an annual bottom-5 finish and teams who make the playoffs consistently is leadership? The Oilers suck. Eager, Brown, and Hordichuk suck as hockey players. Hordichuk is the least awful of the 3 and he's the one sitting the most. The can't score at 5v5 to save their life and a 4th for Brown is the answer?

This isn't a team of callups and misfits. This is exactly the team Tambellini built. Every player on the roster was either brought in by him, or identified as a player they want in their starting lineup.

Continuing to pick 1st or top-5 isn't going to improve the team. Blah blah Pittsburgh Chicago.. They also had a talented supporting crew. Tambo has spent to the cap or said the playoffs are his goal every year he's been a GM.
There are problems, obviously, but you have no clue about what you're talking about at all. You are obviously underestimating the importance of leadership and veteran players on your team. You also don't seem to realize that the team is still in rebuild mode.

Last edited by spiny norman: 03-10-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: not needed
zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Center Ice Scrum View Post
Simple question. Are you sick and tired of seeing the Oilers headed for yet another lottery pick? Seems almost unfair that they should be getting rewarded for sucking this much and for this long.
how do you think us oiler fans feel? we're pretty disgusted about it also, but the owner won't fire lowe and tambo, so we're stuck.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:05 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
There are problems, obviously, but you have no clue about what you're talking about at all. You are obviously underestimating the importance of leadership and veteran players on your team. You also don't seem to realize that the team is still in rebuild mode.
Isn't Whitney a veteran player by now? How about Smyth? Horcoff? Belager is certainly a vet. So is Hemsky. Nick Schultz and Smid have a ton of experience.

The Oilers have veterans and "leaders". What they don't have is a good team. I'm not saying they're mutually exclusive and that "leadership" isn't important, but it's not as important as dressing a team capable of winning NHL games. The Oilers just went back-to-back nights being shutout with 0 powerplay opportunities. The difference between the 12-13 Oilers and "a playoff team" isn't more leadership.

The team isn't in rebuild mode. Steve Tambellini said, December of 2011, that he expects this team to push for a playoff spot. That was over 15 months ago and all they've done is lose.

Last edited by eklunds source: 03-10-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't really care who gets the #1 pick... as long as it's not my team. I would sort of like to see all the Canadian teams (with one exception - not the Oilers) succeed, make the playoffs. But it's not that big a deal. I would have thought it would annoy Oilers fans more than anybody else, and the rest of the league shouldn't care?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:26 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
Yes. That franchise isn't going anywhere. What a WASTE of talent for anyone who ends up there.
Pretty much.

We could be wrong though, but I doubt it.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:29 PM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't really care who gets the #1 pick... as long as it's not my team. I would sort of like to see all the Canadian teams (with one exception - not the Oilers) succeed, make the playoffs. But it's not that big a deal. I would have thought it would annoy Oilers fans more than anybody else, and the rest of the league shouldn't care?
people aren't annoyed that the Oilers always suck - they're annoyed that all the recent top talent is being wasted at the same place.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Oil and Avs

As an oilers fan I would defiantly seeing the flames be horrendous for four or five years in a row and get the first overall pick, I dont understand people who arent fans of the team saying they are sick of it. Maybe if your a Columbus fan and you want your #1 pick back then ya I get it but otherwise why should you care

Oil and Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:

Since leadership can't be measured in a statistic of course it's not important.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:35 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

I don't understand the whole "Oilers don't deserve the first overall argument" cause this is how I see it. The crapiest team gets the best pick, and we determine who is the crapiest by seeing what team has the least amount of points in an 82 game season (or rather 48 in this case). One team being perceived as better doesn't mean anything, if they place last then they were the worst in the NHL and in most need of the highest pick. It doesn't matter if Columbus is seen as a worse team, because the proof is in the standings.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:38 PM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I don't understand the whole "Oilers don't deserve the first overall argument" cause this is how I see it. The crapiest team gets the best pick, and we determine who is the crapiest by seeing what team has the least amount of points in an 82 game season (or rather 48 in this case). One team being perceived as better doesn't mean anything, if they place last then they were the worst in the NHL and in most need of the highest pick. It doesn't matter if Columbus is seen as a worse team, because the proof is in the standings.
you're kinda skipping that whole thing where the Oilers won the lottery. so in fact, the team with the poorest record didn't get the first pick.

but point made nonetheless.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:57 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Since leadership can't be measured in a statistic of course it's not important.
Who could the Oilers add that would provide epic 'leadership' that would turn the clubs fortune around?

Old
03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Because they've had three straight of the top talent available. Why not give them a top 5 pick? Still a great chance at a good player.

What's so hard about understanding that other bad teams can't have the top talent available, and potential superstars can't be distributed around the league evenly, because the other bottom feeders of the NHL have to wait for the EDMONTON OILERS to figure their **** out every year.

And the proof is in the standings is not quite as black and white as you make it out to be. First of all, last year Columbus was the worst team by a fair margin. They still had to surrender the first overall pick to Edmonton. Second of all, with the talent Edmonton is supposed to have, there's nothing stopping any bottom feeding team from winning a few games unexpectedly. If Edmonton is only worse than Columbus by two losses, that doesn't mean they're worse necessarily. It's entirely possible that Columbus had one lucky win and two more OTLs than the Oilers. Some of us actually enjoyed watching first overall talent go to other teams. Crosby to PIT, Johnson to STL, Kane to Chicago, Stamkos to TBL, Tavares to NYI...

what's so good about expecting that Mackinnon will go to Edmonton? Or Yakupov? Is it normal that the trend is going to become us saying, "there goes Sam Reinhart! Or Aaron Ekblad! He's gonna look GREAT on the Oilers! But just you wait! That Connor McDavid is going to be the one to FINALLY lift Edmonton out of the ashes!"

Because the way Edmonton keeps going, a statement like that isn't even technically ridiculous. When it should be.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:24 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

The team isn't in rebuild mode. Steve Tambellini said, December of 2011, that he expects this team to push for a playoff spot. That was over 15 months ago and all they've done is lose.
Awkward how's made literally no moves to bring in better role players/veteran support players for all that young talent then.

There is no question Edmonton has enough talent to perform better than they are right now as a team. Columbus has been doing OK this season (still losing a lot but they are competitive in almost every game) with far less skill on their roster.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:24 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

already hearing what a great 1-2 punch RNH and mackinnon will be up the middle, and it's not even april yet.
sigh. this off-season is going to be awesome

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote