HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Possible Addition Incoming

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 12:33 AM
smokersarejokers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
Canes arnt going to trade Faulk, lol.
Yeah, this is what I'm thinking.

Faulk's played very well for them. Not sure why they would give him up.

That said, I would absolutely love him on the Oilers.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:47 AM
#ualberta

After thinking a bit more i am thinking this will be a minor move.
Canes won't trade Staal or Fault or skinner i don't see them doing a blockbuster with us
Obviously i might be wrong.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
No way the Oil trade 2013's 1st rounder away for the players suggested by the OP! Especially 2013's 1st rounder!

Old
03-10-2013, 01:02 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Hemsky, Faulk's game has been impressive this year. Maybe Petry+ if it's not Hemsky. Could also be Gagner.
I would think that Faulk would be worth more than Hemsky TBH so I'd think that we'd have to add. Gagner on the other hand would have a similar value. Perhaps we see Hemsky and Gagner moved for Faulk, Carrick, Dalpe and a pick? Or Hemsky and Petry for that same package minus the pick? Really unless we hear what might be in play from the Oilers it's all just speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
After thinking a bit more i am thinking this will be a minor move.
Canes won't trade Staal or Fault or skinner i don't see them doing a blockbuster with us
Obviously i might be wrong.
Hemsky for Dalpe and Carrick, would you do it?

03-10-2013, 01:06 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Canes have a crapload of defensive depth...

Faulk
Corvo
Harrison
McBain
Pitkanen
Gleason
Sanguinetti
Murphy

That list is eons ahead of the Oilers dman depth.

You could probably throw darts at any name on that list and it would help the Oilers.

I don't doubt the Canes might be in the market to move a dman because of their depth so speculation about a deal with them sounds reasonable but they seem to be a team rolling along pretty well.

I honestly don't see a lot that the Oilers could offer that the Canes would want.

Goaltending looks like one area that may need some help on the Canes but a 40 year old on the verge of shutting it down because he falls apart when he blinks too hard doesn't seem like a strong trading chip for the Oil.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

No point trading any prospects. Playoffs aren't feasible at this point.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:09 AM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I would think that Faulk would be worth more than Hemsky TBH so I'd think that we'd have to add. Gagner on the other hand would have a similar value. Perhaps we see Hemsky and Gagner moved for Faulk, Carrick, Dalpe and a pick? Or Hemsky and Petry for that same package minus the pick? Really unless we hear what might be in play from the Oilers it's all just speculation.

I don't think I would make that trade. I've seen a little bit of Dalpe but he certainly isn't putting up enough points to warrant a trade for Hemsky. Carrick is getting better every game and is putting up some pretty great points for a defenceman in the OHL while being a shutdown defenceman and fighting often.

I definitely would not trade Hemsky for those two players though, with the addition of Faulk I can see it happening if the Oilers add a minor piece.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:18 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
I don't think I would make that trade. I've seen a little bit of Dalpe but he certainly isn't putting up enough points to warrant a trade for Hemsky. Carrick is getting better every game and is putting up some pretty great points for a defenceman in the OHL while being a shutdown defenceman and fighting often.

I definitely would not trade Hemsky for those two players though, with the addition of Faulk I can see it happening if the Oilers add a minor piece.
I have never seen Carrick play, however the fact that he was a 4th round pick this past draft makes me think that at best he's 2-3 years away. So that means that we are left with Dalpe, a player that could be given a chance the last 20+ games of the year to show us what he's got. So I'd agree with you, however the addition of Faulk is not a small one so what would we have to add to Hemsky?

Old
03-10-2013, 01:32 AM
Kevotron

I just dont see how these potential pieces coming to the Oilers will help them this year or years to come... these are not holes we need to fill
we need size in the top 6 and size and strength on D
Faulk is like Petry 2.0

Old
03-10-2013, 01:38 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

Frankly i don't know alot about either player but based on their hockeydb pages i don't think i would Dalpe is 23 years old and has very little nhl experience/production, and the other dman is still a few years away from becoming anything being a 4th round pick doesn't help either, i'd like to think i can get more for hemsky who is a proven NHLer. Both players are interesting but i would look to trade prospects/picks to get them maybe even mps+

Last edited by Soli: 03-10-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old
03-10-2013, 04:12 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Ok, so from the sounds of the OP, Carrick is the player that has been told he's being moved along with a couple roster players correct?

Along with some of you, I just don't see why Carolina is sending Faulk away unless it's for an overpayment, and Faulk seems somewhat like what the Oil already have in Petry and J. Schultz anyway.

And we know that Hemsky was being shopped by the Oilers at one point if we go by what we're being told by those "in the know", and if it's a case of the deal being agreed to in principal but it's being held up by something, could it be due to an injury to a player like Hemsky?

We also know that the Oilers need a big top 6 forward (which the Canes don't have) or a top-4 LD and the Canes do have an option there. And I'm also guess that the Oilers are going to be dealing from a position of weakness and will have to overpay somewhat to make any deals happen, so how about something along the lines of:

Jay Harrison
- late-bloomer 30 year old 6'4" 211lb LD playing over 20 mins per game with Faulk
- finished top-20 in blocked shots with 153 last year
- character player that comes cheap at $1.5M for the next 3 years
- possible Jason Smith 2.0?
Carrick
McBain

for

Hemsky
N. Schultz

Canes get a potential game breaking top-6 winger in Hemsky that could slot in on the 2nd line right wing with Staal and Skinner, while N. Schultz would take Harrison's spot on the left side with Faulk.

Jay Harrison would presumably be an upgrade on N. Schultz for the Oilers while Carrick and McBain add some defensive depth which the Oil so desperately need.

Leaving the Oilers with:

Harrison - Schultz
Smid - Petry
Fistric - McBain
Peckham
Potter

Next year if you have Klefbom competing for a spot, suddenly the D doesn't look terrible anymore.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:41 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Oilers trading 2013 1st while at the bottom of the standings is retarded, Canes trading Faulk as he's developing into a top pairing dman for a historically defensively challenged team is equally retarded. I'm not going to make a comment about Trevor Carrick as chances are you're more informed than me, but there is no way these two pieces get moved.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:41 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Oilers 2013 1st Round Pick for Joni Pitkanen.

Book it.
that would cause Joni's head to explode and he would retreat to his bedroom with his cat

As long as the Oilers Do not name MAct GM on monday--I will be happy

Last edited by jumptheshark: 03-10-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old
03-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevotron View Post
I just dont see how these potential pieces coming to the Oilers will help them this year or years to come... these are not holes we need to fill
we need size in the top 6 and size and strength on D
Faulk is like Petry 2.0
This analysis further leads me to believe the deal will actually happen

Old
03-10-2013, 08:36 AM
oilwings

I really hope something does happen. This team is in a need of a shakeup asap.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:48 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
that would cause Joni's head to explode and he would retreat to his bedroom with his cat

As long as the Oilers Do not name MAct GM on monday--I will be happy
He would actually be an improvement over Tambellini.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:19 AM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
He would actually be an improvement over Tambellini.
I can also give some input on MacT although it might not have much merit. My dads best friend got his MBA in the same class as MacT (they took it in Vancouver) and I got to go out to dinner with a few of the graduates and meet MacT.

I can't really comment on his hockey knowledge and decision making as a coach, but he is an extremely smart person and might make a far better GM than coach. Let's remember he didn't really have much to work with as a coach either.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:09 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

btw

not that it matters

Horcoff has been activated and Vande Velde assigned to OKcity and Fistric will get activated on Monday

Last edited by jumptheshark: 03-10-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old
03-10-2013, 12:02 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
btw

not that it matters

Horcoff has been activated and Vande Velde assigned to OKcity and Fistric will get activated on Monday
These are all good things. Despite HF's hate for him, the team has missed Shawn Horcoff terribly. And Fistric.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
These are all good things. Despite HF's hate for him, the team has missed Shawn Horcoff terribly. And Fistric.
I agree with you.

Horcoff is way OP but he's still our best two-way center that can win draws.

Fistric.. well, just look at the Oilers record with him in the lineup and him not in the lineup. This team misses Fister!

Old
03-10-2013, 04:30 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Still waiting for that 'possible addition'...

Old
03-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Summary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
The OP has a legitimate source and we thought it wouldn't hurt having something to talk about other than the atrocious team we have.
For the sake of a distraction sure, if for the entertainment value of talking about hypothetical deals between the Oilers and Carolina.

But objectively the source is some alleged texts from a minor leager who "seems to think he'll be headed to Edmonton". It's at about the same level as though I had heard from the Baron's equipment manager that a GM is getting fired this week and he thinks it might be one of our GM's (since we have like 3).

I think we need to upgrade our definition of what we consider a source.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:09 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I'm going to close this thread for now. If anything does go down I will reopen it.

Closed Thread