HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 06:31 PM
JdRoar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Im glad, if there were one we would find a way to not get him.
Yeah , i hope the panthers don't take on someone that needs to much time to develop

Would like someone close to NHL ready

Old
03-09-2013, 06:55 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

With Weiss done for, and the team most likely a seller, do we have any players that are more than likely to be traded?

Smithson?
Kuba?
Goc?
Kovalev (he is still on the team I believe)
Parros?
Santorelli?

I can't see us doing much at the deadline ...

Old
03-09-2013, 08:01 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
With Weiss done for, and the team most likely a seller, do we have any players that are more than likely to be traded?

Smithson?
Kuba?
Goc?
Parros?
Santorelli?

1. I like Kopecky
2. His value is at an all time high
3. Thats when you trade people

Old
03-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
1. I like Kopecky
2. His value is at an all time high
3. Thats when you trade people
I agree. Possibly could fetch a 2nd.

-ghoste

Old
03-09-2013, 08:16 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post

Smithson?
Kuba?
Goc?
Parros?
Santorelli?

I agree. Most of those guys will bring back mid to late round picks.
This team is having an off year(hopefully) this year. That's fine. However, we are not reblowing the team up. Unless we either have:

1: Someone to replace said player next year(ahl/minor league)
2: Get in return a soon to be NHL player

In return in a trade, I see no point dumping Kopecky off for a 2nd round pick.

If this team is bad next year, we could be looking at a new GM and Head coach. I rather not start that carousel again.
Keep the guys that still play a valuable role, trade off the soon to be UFA's and Upshall.

Next years team should have some new faces from our farm, but, we still need guys like Goc and Kopecky to do the dirty work and their presence in the lockerroom.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:02 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
I agree. Most of those guys will bring back mid to late round picks.
This team is having an off year(hopefully) this year. That's fine. However, we are not reblowing the team up. Unless we either have:

1: Someone to replace said player next year(ahl/minor league)
2: Get in return a soon to be NHL player

In return in a trade, I see no point dumping Kopecky off for a 2nd round pick.

If this team is bad next year, we could be looking at a new GM and Head coach. I rather not start that carousel again.
Keep the guys that still play a valuable role, trade off the soon to be UFA's and Upshall.

Next years team should have some new faces from our farm, but, we still need guys like Goc and Kopecky to do the dirty work and their presence in the lockerroom.
I agree. AG mentioned that he is at an all time high value wise, but I have a feeling you can expect this from Kopescky game in, game out.

This is a guy with already two cup rings, he knows how to win. You can see that when he plays, all out heart. Right now he is one of the few forwards we have that routinely goes in front of the net screening the goalie.

A 2nd round pick wouldn't benifit us for a while. I say we hold on to Kopescky.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:44 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Did we just get screwed big time with this weiss season ending injury? How can we possibly trade him? Either he resigns or walks.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Chino Oscar

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I just wish this was a season there was a clear cut super #1 prospect available at the draft. Each time we're picking #1 this is not the case.
Don't know what you guys think, but IMO we are pretty set on defense (counting on Gudbranson, Kulikov, Robak to continue improving, plus keeping Campbell and Weaver), so I am thinking about offense in the draft.

What do you guys think about Valeri Nichushkin? 6'-4", 196 lbs with skill? I would be EXTREMELY happy if we get him, plus with his size he could be ready immediately or in 1 more season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ1ruVJ7DK8

Old
03-10-2013, 12:25 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Did we just get screwed big time with this weiss season ending injury? How can we possibly trade him? Either he resigns or walks.
I actually liked how this played out. I don't see him getting the big deal in free agency now that he would have. Tallon sounds like he wants to re-sign him. I think the chances are good that we re-sign him to a reasonable deal.

As far as trading people, I know a lot of people will disagree but I could see Flash traded. He could bring back a 1st. Goc could be traded if the return is good enough. I don't want to see Kopecky traded though.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chino Oscar View Post
Don't know what you guys think, but IMO we are pretty set on defense (counting on Gudbranson, Kulikov, Robak to continue improving, plus keeping Campbell and Weaver), so I am thinking about offense in the draft.

What do you guys think about Valeri Nichushkin? 6'-4", 196 lbs with skill? I would be EXTREMELY happy if we get him, plus with his size he could be ready immediately or in 1 more season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ1ruVJ7DK8
I don't see why we would take him unless we are drafting #7-15. There's no point in taking the risk with the Russian factor with so many great prospects in this draft. Also, he just signed a 3 year extension with his KHL team before the season. I don't think he is thinking about coming to the NHL anytime soon. Guys like MacKinnon, Barkov, and Monahan could all be ready within one season as well.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:36 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
No point in trading Goc and Kopecky, we'd have to replace them anyway. Both are very important to this team and brings invaluable stability.
FA pool is awful.
Who takes Goc's place?
Bjugstad? Maybe.
Wouldn't count on it though.
Kopecky is a guy you want on every team. A hustler, grinder, leader.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:20 AM
freakstar
Paaaaaanthers

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/03/09/...-ready-to-sell

Yet again, not sure how trust-worthy the source is.

If we'd move Goc or Kopecky I'd be quite sad. Kopecky has been doing good this season.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:23 AM
freakstar
Paaaaaanthers

Seems like Dubinsky is getting shopped, would he be a good fit here? He makes quite a lot of money (4,2) but yeah...

What would we offer Columbus?

Old
03-10-2013, 09:31 AM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakstar View Post
Seems like Dubinsky is getting shopped, would he be a good fit here? He makes quite a lot of money (4,2) but yeah...

I like him hes a little overpaid but so is everyone else on our team he'd fit right in, we need his physicality and the Rangers obviously miss him to.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:34 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Speculation: who is for sale?

Quote:

If we'd move Goc or Kopecky I'd be quite sad. Kopecky has been doing good this season.
Players who won't be moved: Huberdeau, Shore, Gudbranson, Markstrom

Players who are unlikely to be moved because of value: Mueller, Matthias

Player who could be moved in a hockey trade (as opposed to a deadline deal): Kulikov

Players who could be moved if the right deal comes up but are less likely to be moved because of relationship to Tallon: Campbell, Skille

Players who could be moved: Versteeg, Fleischmann, Goc, Kopecky, Weaver, Kuba, Parros

Players who we'd love to move but won't be because they have no value: Weiss, Clemmensen, Jovo, Upshall

Old
03-10-2013, 09:50 AM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Players who won't be moved: Huberdeau, Shore, Gudbranson, Markstrom

Players who are unlikely to be moved because of value: Mueller, Matthias

Player who could be moved in a hockey trade (as opposed to a deadline deal): Kulikov

Players who could be moved if the right deal comes up but are less likely to be moved because of relationship to Tallon: Campbell, Skille

Players who could be moved: Versteeg, Fleischmann, Goc, Kopecky, Weaver, Kuba, Parros

Players who we'd love to move but won't be because they have no value: Weiss, Clemmensen, Jovo, Upshall

I would include Versteeg in the relationship thing as well. Correct me if Im wrong but I don't think Tallon has ever traded one of "his guys" after bringing them in. More than likely Flash and Steeg stay here and finish out there contract. We are a rebuilding team after all, if we trade these guys we will have a similar situation as the Oilers.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Most of the players on our team can be replaced in free agency. They are not that unique. We did it once, we can do it again.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
I would include Versteeg in the relationship thing as well. Correct me if Im wrong but I don't think Tallon has ever traded one of "his guys" after bringing them in. More than likely Flash and Steeg stay here and finish out there contract. We are a rebuilding team after all, if we trade these guys we will have a similar situation as the Oilers.

I agree! I would be very disapointed to see Flash and/or Steeg traded. Honestly, if Goc,Kopecky,Flash,Steeg,or Mueller get traded,I'll have no faith in Tallon. IMHO if those players get traded after a bad,flukey lockout year then he really isn't being truthful about his "blueprint" Those players have made a huge impact on this Panthers' franchise and trading those players for more draft picks is doing exactly what every other GM has done in our organization. Those players improve our hockey club, and with the Panthers having the best prospect pool in the league thus far, adding more prospects for proven, GOOD, NHL players is just 10 steps backwards. While I think getting a top draft pick because we aren't good this season, as well as adding to that depth in the pool is important, losing players who are great players, who do the little things and make this team exciting, just because they are all having an off year is crazy. Our 1st line from last year was great,and if Weiss does stay,and Flash/Steeg aren't traded then we are looking at having them back as our #1 line and they have talent. Then we have the Hubby-Shore-Mueller line,who have been one of the only bright spots. Add in a Kopecky-Goc-Bergy line, with Matthias,Skille,Bjugstad,maybe Howden, free agent picked up, maybe top 2013 draft pick and Parros (if not traded) and we look to have a pretty decent team.

I didn't mean to rank too much but I think it's bass-akwards to take peices from this team , such as Versteeg, who was just resigned and we all loved, and trade him away for a draft pick. IMO, Versteeg is worth more than a draft pick and/or prospect.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

Eh, we'd have to give up too much. Pass.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:

Bruce Garrioch is about a half step above Eklund when it comes to rumors. I place him about on par with Larry Brooks (who has everyone going to the Rangers)

Old
03-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I agree! I would be very disapointed to see Flash and/or Steeg traded. Honestly, if Goc,Kopecky,Flash,Steeg,or Mueller get traded,I'll have no faith in Tallon. IMHO if those players get traded after a bad,flukey lockout year then he really isn't being truthful about his "blueprint" Those players have made a huge impact on this Panthers' franchise and trading those players for more draft picks is doing exactly what every other GM has done in our organization. Those players improve our hockey club, and with the Panthers having the best prospect pool in the league thus far, adding more prospects for proven, GOOD, NHL players is just 10 steps backwards. While I think getting a top draft pick because we aren't good this season, as well as adding to that depth in the pool is important, losing players who are great players, who do the little things and make this team exciting, just because they are all having an off year is crazy. Our 1st line from last year was great,and if Weiss does stay,and Flash/Steeg aren't traded then we are looking at having them back as our #1 line and they have talent. Then we have the Hubby-Shore-Mueller line,who have been one of the only bright spots. Add in a Kopecky-Goc-Bergy line, with Matthias,Skille,Bjugstad,maybe Howden, free agent picked up, maybe top 2013 draft pick and Parros (if not traded) and we look to have a pretty decent team.

I didn't mean to rank too much but I think it's bass-akwards to take peices from this team , such as Versteeg, who was just resigned and we all loved, and trade him away for a draft pick. IMO, Versteeg is worth more than a draft pick and/or prospect.
I think you'd have to wait to see who Tallon replaces them with. What if we trade Flash and Steeg and replace them with better players in free agency? I'm not down with trading Kopecky or Mueller, but the other two can go. It's not like they are doing all that great right now. True, it's only one season, and they did play very well for most of last season. But there's no guarantee that they will replicate that season again. Versteeg in particular has very bad habits and seems to have poor hockey sense. He makes the same bad decisions over and over. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to shed some salary now and get some futures for them, and save some money for free agency.

Tallon's blueprint entails building up our prospect pool as strong as it can possibly be so that it can be self-sustaining. Flash and Steeg aren't core guys.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Bruce Garrioch is about a half step above Eklund when it comes to rumors. I place him about on par with Larry Brooks (who has everyone going to the Rangers)
This is just more smoke to an already big story though. Guys like McKenzie and LeBrun have been talking about this for weeks.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:33 AM
ALee10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Yeah but everyone does go to the Rangers.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:42 AM
KWGoon

It's fun to speculate about trades, but the absolute first order of business would be for the owners to trade themselves so we get some real owners who understand that in today's NHL spending to the cap is essentially a prerequisite for postseason success. And vice versa. Even a casual fan can see that. Even a team with young (read: cheap) talent will have to spend. We're not doing it, so the panthers' business model does not place on-ice performance as a critical measure of success. Ultimately, the owners (the ones with real control, not Viner) don't give a crap about how well the team does.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:51 AM
ALee10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
It's fun to speculate about trades, but the absolute first order of business would be for the owners to trade themselves so we get some real owners who understand that in today's NHL spending to the cap is essentially a prerequisite for postseason success. And vice versa. Even a casual fan can see that. Even a team with young (read: cheap) talent will have to spend. We're not doing it, so the panthers' business model does not place on-ice performance as a critical measure of success. Ultimately, the owners (the ones with real control, not Viner) don't give a crap about how well the team does.
I don't think that's necessarily true. The Penguins are almost 10M below the cap and they're pretty good whereas the Rangers are at the cap and they're fighting to stay alive. It's not about spending money, it's about spending smart and drafting smart. Now that the league is becoming inundated with younger players though, it's that much easier for an 18 year old kid to enter the league and make an impact.

Don't be so rash with clearing out guys like Fleischmann or Kopecky, they're glue guys that make the team work. One bad year doesn't undo how great Flash was last year or the year before with the Caps/Avalanche. Build steadily through the draft, do you realistically feel like the Panthers are close to being Stanley Cup contenders? These problems take time to solve and Tallon has done it before, have some faith in him.

Everytime I think of trading smart I think of the Capitals acquiring Federov for Theo Ruth from Columbus, that might be one of the best trades in the last 5 years and it cost nothing to acquire.

Closed Thread