HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Todd Marchant

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2003, 10:52 AM
dashripper

vCash: 500
Todd Marchant

Hello everybody. I'm just wondering how Toddy has been playing. I see he doesn't have very many points. I almost died when I learned how much Columbus paid him so I'm wondering if he was pumped up to be a scoring machine? Was he what you expected-or less-or more? Thanks for the replies.

Old
12-20-2003, 12:30 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
I think everyone knew his point production last year wasn't the "real" Todd Marchant. We knew we were getting a player that plays hard every game and plays defense like his life depends on it. He's an excellent PKer and shot blocker. He doesn't have very good hands, but thats OK since the rest of his game makes up for it. He's everything I expected him to be...

...but not that price. I didn't like the size of length of the contract when he signed it, and I still don't. He should be making two million, max.

Old
12-20-2003, 01:41 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashripper
Hello everybody. I'm just wondering how Toddy has been playing. I see he doesn't have very many points. I almost died when I learned how much Columbus paid him so I'm wondering if he was pumped up to be a scoring machine? Was he what you expected-or less-or more? Thanks for the replies.

Bah, I dont think hes been playing that bad.

As for the offense, playing with Trevor Letowski on the right Wing will do that to you....

Old
12-20-2003, 01:53 PM
Lowetide

The amount they paid Marchant was ridiculous, but he's a helluva hockey player with years left in this league. I can think of MANY worse free agent signings, and as Sir Ossie X mentioned this guy does alot to help aside from score goals.

I don't think there's one Oiler fan that was happy to see him go.

Old
12-22-2003, 03:59 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
The amount they paid Marchant was ridiculous, but he's a helluva hockey player with years left in this league. I can think of MANY worse free agent signings, and as Sir Ossie X mentioned this guy does alot to help aside from score goals.

I don't think there's one Oiler fan that was happy to see him go.
I just rambled on about Marchant in another post, but figured I'd come and repeat myself here since there's a thread on the topic.

I do think the contract he got was too long, but I was alright with the money. A team like Columbus has to overpay to get anyone to come here. The team needed someone to center its second line. The only other options I recall were Knutsen (not an FA) and Prospal or trading for guys like Arnott and Turgeon (who have even worse contracts). I'll take Marchant and his contract over all of those options and their contracts.

I think he will start producing more goals and assists and will be a consistent 45-60 point guy during his contract. Right now, the team sucks as a whole, so no ones (aside from Nash) has great numbers.
Also, as has been stated already, Marchant has a slew of intangibles and defensive skills that are lacking elsewhere on the team.

Closed Thread