HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Tanking/Rebuilding/Selling at Deadline Thread 3.0

Old
03-03-2013, 06:15 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
All Encompassing Tanking/Rebuilding/Selling at Deadline Thread 3.0

continue here.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:16 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Undefeated in regulation in 10 games....... Must tank

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:56 PM
76ftw

Should have killed it off with the second one. Anyone seriously considering a tank/rebuild no is just addicted to losing/under cover bruins fan.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:42 PM
DAChampion

Yeah, so I was really wrong.

Wow.

Habs are 8-3-2 at home and 8-2-2 on the road (same record), a legitimate top-4 team in the conference, given that we play in the best division it's probably a toss-up between Montreal and Boston for the best team in the conference. We're currently ranked number 1.

Habs are a legitimate Stanley Cup contender this year. I'd guess it's the Habs, the Bruins, the Penguins, the Blackhawks, the Kings, as the five teams with the best odds.

Further, the team is doing well in spite of a lot of things I said would happen actually happening:
1) There have been new injuries to replace the old ones. We were missing Subban for the first five games (equivalent to an injury), Pacioretty missed 5 games with appendix problems, Rene Bourque has missed 8 games, Gallagher has missed 5, Diaz has missed 6, and Nokelainen has missed the whole thing. It's actually almost as bad as last year (54 man-games lost after 25 games), so we are **not** getting a first place result by virtue of a no-injury miracle season.
2) Cole has regressed. I didn't think Erik Cole would repeat his 35 goal pace, and he was not going to do so. That is some significant lost offense.
3) Andrei Markov is not as good as the Andrei Markov of old.
4) The penalty kill has regressed. It's 82.1% for 14th in the league, compared to 88.6% for 2nd in the league last year.
5) Galchenyuk will be a difference maker one day, but not yet. He has 13 points in 24 games playing mostly easy minutes, which means whatever other players was on the ice with those minutes would have gotten many of those points. It helps the team but doesn't explain everything.
6) Price is very similar to last year. His SV% is .912, down from .916, but the difference is probably not statistically significant.

All in all, several of the factors I laid down for thinking the Habs wouldn't improve have come to pass, I also failed to predict (item #7) is that we are actually in a strong division: the rest of the division is +22 in goal differential. If the facts laid out thus far had been stated from a crystal ball before game 1, nearly everyone would have anticipated Elias Lindholm in a Habs jersey. My arguments for a Habs bad season were sound, they were however a very incomplete picture. That the Habs have not just stayed level, but improved from the 12th-15th bracket to the 1st-4th bracket in spite of items #1-7, shows how spectacular the improvements in other facets have been.

I'll take an educated guess as to what these improvements are:

1) No Gomez. Last year Gomez played 38 games. His minutes were even easier than Desharnais' and Leblanc's: 64% offensive zone starts, and a Corsi Rel QoC of -0.129. These are really easy minutes, and for having these easy minutes he produced 1.11 points/60 on ES, less than Plekanec, Desharnais, Leblanc, Eller. Basically these were prime minutes, the type of minutes where you need to score, and he scored at an inferior pace to all of our centers playing harder minutes. This year, Galchenyuk is largely getting these easy minutes, and they are not being wasted. That might be the difference between 15th and 10th right there. I think this is the largest single factor.
2) Cole's regression is more than fully compensated by Bourque's un-regression and the Ryder trade. I had misinterpreted Bourque's performance last year as due to a Gomez-like decline in player performance. I was not correct, we now know he had a rib injury.
3) Markov is not as good as 2008 Markov, but he's better than 2012 Campoli/Weber.
4) Our penalty kill has declined, but our 14.3% power play has improved to 19.8%. The sum of our PP and PK is 101.9% this year, compared to 102.9% last year, it looks like a decline. This year we have 111 power plays and 95 penalty kills, last year we had 301 PPs and 315 PKs... so our special teams are actually improved once you account for the discipline ratio.
I hereby define the special-team competency index (STCI) as:
(PP % + PK%)*(# of power plays/# of penalty kills)
This year our STCI is 119.06, compared to 98.33 last year. Note that the STCI is almost exactly 100 averaged out across the league.
[[ I'm joking, I'm sure such a simple statistics is already defined by somebody else ]].
5) I was right that Galchenyuk wouldn't dominate, but I had no idea about Gallagher. We do have a rookie difference maker and his name is Brendan Gallagher. He has 13 points in 20 games, and his points are highly productive points, he goes to the net which creates space for his wingers. These are not points that any other player could easily produce given the same opportunities.
6) The Brandon Prust signing is really good, but it might be undermined by Moen's decline. Eller has improved, but I think most of us saw this coming.
7) Therrien is an amazing coach thus far and greatly surpassing my expectations.
8) Though we will have a harder time winning in our division, given that it's stronger, we can at the same time beat up the rest of the conference, which is conversely weaker. For example, we are at 8-0-0 against the southeast apparently.

There are benefits even in the long-term, leaving aside this year's championship contention, that other posters like Miller Time, Carey Price, Sorinth, and Southern Hab and others brought up that I rejected at the time, but that will be true. Our prospects such as Tinordi, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, Ellis, Pateryn, Holland, Kristo, Collberg can now be brought along more slowly, in a winning culture, which is in contrast to the Edmonton model. Further, we're in a better position to improve via trades. We're winning because our players are doing well, which means many of them have a higher trade value. Acquiring an impact forward is as such, not a ludicrous proposition.

Last edited by DAChampion: 03-10-2013 at 12:47 AM.
DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Bermy

Great post DAChampion!!

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
The offence last year was often all or nothing. Just off the top of my head, some of our explosions: Detroit blowout, the Winnipeg Eller game, blowing out the Leafs on Sundin night, blowing out the Jets in their opener, the Erik Cole HT vs Ottawa game, the 2nd win of the season vs PHI that was lopsided, etc. But on the flipside, countless shutouts or 1 goal performances last year.

This year's team is hovering constantly around 3 goals a game for the most part and it's usually 3 goals per game. Sometimes 4. Sometimes 2. But rarely 0 or 1...

With all that said, before declaring the rebuilding as officially over, I'm waiting for a legit 82 game season next season. The East is a joke this season.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:52 PM
schumway2

Consistency and balance is what separates the contenders from the pretenders.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:37 AM
PricePkPatch

DAChampion, it takes balls to admit you are wrong and tearing yourself apart in the mea culpa.

Kudos. My opinion of you have risen significantly. It takes a true honest mind to see when he I'd wrong.

I am really happy for our prospects, like you said, they will be Brough up slowly, integrated into our winning culture. Just loved Dumont's effort yesterday.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:42 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Wow.

Habs are 8-3-2 at home and 8-2-2 on the road (same record), a legitimate top-4 team in the conference, given that we play in the best division it's probably a toss-up between Montreal and Boston for the best team in the conference. We're currently ranked number 1.

Habs are a legitimate Stanley Cup contender this year. I'd guess it's the Habs, the Bruins, the Penguins, the Blackhawks, the Kings, as the five teams with the best odds.

Further, the team is doing well in spite of a lot of things I said would happen actually happening:
1) There have been new injuries to replace the old ones. We were missing Subban for the first five games (equivalent to an injury), Pacioretty missed 5 games with appendix problems, Rene Bourque has missed 8 games, Gallagher has missed 5, Diaz has missed 6, and Nokelainen has missed the whole thing. It's actually almost as bad as last year (54 man-games lost after 25 games), so we are **not** getting a first place result by virtue of a no-injury miracle season.
2) Cole has regressed. I didn't think Erik Cole would repeat his 35 goal pace, and he was not going to do so. That is some significant lost offense.
4) The penalty kill has regressed. It's 82.1% for 14th in the league, compared to 88.6% for 2nd in the league last year.
5) Galchenyuk will be a difference maker one day, but not yet. He has 13 points in 24 games playing mostly easy minutes, which means whatever other players was on the ice with those minutes would have gotten many of those points. It helps the team but doesn't explain everything.
6) Price is very similar to last year. His SV% is .912, down from .916, but the difference is probably not statistically significant.

All in all, several of the factors I laid down for thinking the Habs wouldn't improve have come to pass, I also failed to predict (item #7) is that we are actually in a strong division: the rest of the division is +22 in goal differential. If the facts laid out thus far had been stated from a crystal ball before game 1, nearly everyone would have anticipated Elias Lindholm in a Habs jersey. My arguments for a Habs bad season were sound, they were however a very incomplete picture. That the Habs have not just stayed level, but improved from the 12th-15th bracket to the 1st-4th bracket in spite of items #1-7, shows how spectacular the improvements in other facets have been.

1) No Gomez. Last year Gomez played 38 games. His minutes were even easier than Desharnais' and Leblanc's: 64% offensive zone starts, and a Corsi Rel QoC of -0.129. These are really easy minutes, and for having these easy minutes he produced 1.11 points/60 on ES, less than Plekanec, Desharnais, Leblanc, Eller. Basically these were prime minutes, the type of minutes where you need to score, and he scored at an inferior pace to all of our centers playing harder minutes. This year, Galchenyuk is largely getting these easy minutes, and they are not being wasted. That might be the difference between 15th and 10th right there. I think this is the largest single factor.
2) Cole's regression is more than fully compensated by Bourque's un-regression and the Ryder trade. I had misinterpreted Bourque's performance last year as due to a Gomez-like decline in player performance. I was not correct, we now know he had a rib injury.
3) Markov is not as good as 2008 Markov, but he's better than 2012 Campoli/Weber.
4) Our penalty kill has declined, but our 14.3% power play has improved to 19.8%. The sum of our PP and PK is 101.9% this year, compared to 102.9% last year, it looks like a decline. This year we have 111 power plays and 95 penalty kills, last year we had 301 PPs and 315 PKs... so our special teams are actually improved once you account for the discipline ratio.
This year our STCI is 119.06, compared to 98.33 last year. Note that the STCI is almost exactly 100 averaged out across the league.
[[ I'm joking, I'm sure such a simple statistics is already defined by somebody else ]].
5) I was right that Galchenyuk wouldn't dominate, but I had no idea about Gallagher. We do have a rookie difference maker and his name is Brendan Gallagher. He has 13 points in 20 games, and his points are highly productive points, he goes to the net which creates space for his wingers. These are not points that any other player could easily produce given the same opportunities.
6) The Brandon Prust signing is really good, but it might be undermined by Moen's decline. Eller has improved, but I think most of us saw this coming.
7) Therrien is an amazing coach thus far and greatly surpassing my expectations.
8) Though we will have a harder time winning in our division, given that it's stronger, we can at the same time beat up the rest of the conference, which is conversely weaker. For example, we are at 8-0-0 against the southeast apparently.

There are benefits even in the long-term, leaving aside this year's championship contention, that other posters like Miller Time, Carey Price, Sorinth, and Southern Hab and others brought up that I rejected at the time, but that will be true. Our prospects such as Tinordi, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, Ellis, Pateryn, Holland, Kristo, Collberg can now be brought along more slowly, in a winning culture, which is in contrast to the Edmonton model. Further, we're in a better position to improve via trades. We're winning because our players are doing well, which means many of them have a higher trade value. Acquiring an impact forward is as such, not a ludicrous proposition.
Nice to see someone (wo)man enough to admit his "errors".

props to you.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:45 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
DAChampion, it takes balls to admit you are wrong and tearing yourself apart in the mea culpa.

Kudos. My opinion of you have risen significantly. It takes a true honest mind to see when he I'd wrong.

I am really happy for our prospects, like you said, they will be Brough up slowly, integrated into our winning culture. Just loved Dumont's effort yesterday.
Yup, lest not forget we beat TB with 4 rookies in our line-up (both Gallys, Patteryn, Dumont), along with players 25 or below like Price, Subban, Eller who are all giving us great hockey.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:47 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Good post DA, your logic and analytical skills are very appreciated.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:48 AM
bsl

Quote:

Wow.

You were not wrong. Dealing vets for picks aggressively with a losing team over a 2 year time is a proven and legitimate strategy.

There was every chance that Habs could have been a losing team this year. The strategy would have been correct in that case.

No one who supported this view wanted the Habs to lose this year, we just thought that the odds were high they they would.

The only 'mistake' we made was underestimating the Habs potential play this year. And almost no one who disagreed with rebuilding stated that Habs would be .750 at the half way mark either.

There was no mistake in supporting rebuilds for losing teams. That is still a valid proposition.

I do not take one post back on this thread.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:08 AM
bsl

Quote:

Wow.

I am not surprised by this post. At all.

DA never stated that he was correct. He stated that given the circumstances last year. and previous years, rebulidng was valid for one more year.

I agreed then, and I agree now.

I also now state that given the improvements we now see in the team, that trading one, and one only, second or third pick for a good rental, with potential to re sign, is now valid. I would not have said this 3 months ago. No way.

What a lot of guys have to realize here is that guys like me, and DA, are not dogmatic. We argue a position based on the best evidence at the time, and evidence from the past. If the evidence changes, we will admit the same.

Well done DA. No surprise to me.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Maxpac

Who's the other poster that was also always looking to tank? Was it Lafleurguy? Especially Markov who was on his trade block everytime he had a point..

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:18 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Who's the other poster that was also always looking to tank? Was it Lafleurguy? Especially Markov who was on his trade block everytime he had a point..
Gloating is dangerous. Watch out for that.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Sorinth

Quote:

Wow.

Not many people will admit to being wrong especially on the internet so good on you.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Who's the other poster that was also always looking to tank? Was it Lafleurguy?
Yes, I've been calling for a rebulid for the last decade. As far as I was concerned, this year would've been an awesome year to finish it off. Getting as many picks in this deep draft would set us up well for years. Maybe it's unnecessary and maybe we're good enough to start winning cups this year. We're definitely better than I thought we'd be this year. I figured we'd be a bubble team that would probably miss the playoffs and instead we're first in the East.

No way I thought we'd be this good. I was way wrong on this. I figured next year at the earliest we'd start to see some good teams emerge and then improve from there. It seems pretty clear that we're way ahead of where I thought we'd be. And unlike years past I don't see this as a fluke. The team may not improve in a linear fashion but I think that this the start of a period where we should be good for the next few seasons at least.

We still need some size in the top six but no team is perfect. Love the blueline prospects we have coming up too. We should be good for a long while.
Quote:
Especially Markov who was on his trade block everytime he had a point..
I still think it makes sense to do this. But the return has to be great.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:49 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Yes, I've been calling for a rebulid for the last decade. As far as I was concerned, this year would've been an awesome year to finish it off. Getting as many picks in this deep draft would set us up well for years. Maybe it's unnecessary and maybe we're good enough to start winning cups this year. We're definitely better than I thought we'd be this year. I figured we'd be a bubble team that would probably miss the playoffs and instead we're first in the East.

No way I thought we'd be this good. I was way wrong on this. I figured next year at the earliest we'd start to see some good teams emerge and then improve from there. It seems pretty clear that we're way ahead of where I thought we'd be. And unlike years past I don't see this as a fluke. The team may not improve in a linear fashion but I think that this the start of a period where we should be good for the next few seasons at least.

We still need some size in the top six but no team is perfect. Love the blueline prospects we have coming up too. We should be good for a long while.

I still think it makes sense to do this. But the return has to be great.
Tonight they play their fifth back to back and will catch up on away games versus home games. After 26 games, half on the road, they will have between 36 and 38 points.

We can't say this is due to an easy schedule anymore.

They have team speed and great work ethic, and neither of those things is likely to slump. Goals could stop going in briefly, or injuries could climb, but overall, this is a very solid team, starting with one of the top goalies in the league, and a defence that has a true #1 on the ice for 45-50 minutes per game. Then there are three scoring lines, as Eller has emerged to complement Plekanec and Desharnais. They have a PPG player for the first time since Kovalev 2007-08 and they have four really good rookies and second-year players that provide energy. And of course the underrated signing of the year - Brandon Prust.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Tonight they play their fifth back to back and will catch up on away games versus home games. After 26 games, half on the road, they will have between 36 and 38 points.

We can't say this is due to an easy schedule anymore.

They have team speed and great work ethic, and neither of those things is likely to slump. Goals could stop going in briefly, or injuries could climb, but overall, this is a very solid team, starting with one of the top goalies in the league, and a defence that has a true #1 on the ice for 45-50 minutes per game. Then there are three scoring lines, as Eller has emerged to complement Plekanec and Desharnais. They have a PPG player for the first time since Kovalev 2007-08 and they have four really good rookies and second-year players that provide energy. And of course the underrated signing of the year - Brandon Prust.
Like I said, I don't see this as a fluke team like we've seen in years past. We've got a good core now that's ready to produce. Good enough to win a cup in the future? Maybe. The real wildcard is Galchenyuk and despite cooling off, he seems like he's the real deal. If he becomes the top flight center that we all think he can be, we'll be hard to beat.

Beaulieu and Tinordi are going to help. If they pan out and things go right with Galchenyuk in two or three years, this team will be pretty scary.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:52 AM
JohnLennon

Encouraging as a Habs fan to see almost everyone now agreeing that this is, in fact, a good team. Way to go guys.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:58 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
What a lot of guys have to realize here is that guys like me, and DA, are not dogmatic. We argue a position based on the best evidence at the time, and evidence from the past. If the evidence changes, we will admit the same.

Well done DA. No surprise to me.
I haven't seen anything of the sort from you and it's rather interesting that you'd associate yourself with him while contributing essentially nothing new to the thread.

I'll be sure to keep a look out from now on

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:48 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Like I said, I don't see this as a fluke team like we've seen in years past. We've got a good core now that's ready to produce. Good enough to win a cup in the future? Maybe. The real wildcard is Galchenyuk and despite cooling off, he seems like he's the real deal. If he becomes the top flight center that we all think he can be, we'll be hard to beat.

Beaulieu and Tinordi are going to help. If they pan out and things go right with Galchenyuk in two or three years, this team will be pretty scary.
Even without tanking this year, we have 6 picks in the first three rounds. We can afford to spend maybe ONE on a rental for a tough defenceman or forward "rental" with maybe even a chance of re-signing next year.

I wouldn't spend more than that this year, unless it is a roster player going UFA like Ryder or Nokes or Armstrong.

Even though theoretically one could pull the trigger on a trade involving one the captains or assistant captains, it is unlikely to happen on a team where the chemistry is good and there is a hope for a long playoff run. This might be the breakout year BEFORE the Cup year, like Pittsburgh and Chicago each one had, but most teams need that steppiong stone, and need to have vets around who know how to win so that they can teach the kids. Otherwise, you have the Islanders or Oilers, teams that always have good young talent but no vets to shape them.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:24 PM
NHLFutureGuy3

I have always been on DAChampion's line of thinking as well.

I had no idea we would be first in the east this year. Frankly, anyone who tells me they predicted the Canadiens would be first in the east is lying.

I see us being a good team for a few seasons. No one is happier than me with the success we've seen this season. However, I still can't shake the feeling that this is just not our year in terms of winning the cup. Yes I see the balance in scoring. I see the depth in defense and I see very little weaknesses. However, I still don't see us as being built for the playoffs.

We have Prust, Ryder, Gionta, Subban, and Moen, who are proven playoff performers. Other than that, who would step up in the playoffs for us?

NHLFutureGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:21 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post

I had no idea we would be first in the east this year. Frankly, anyone who tells me they predicted the Canadiens would be first in the east is lying.

I see us being a good team for a few seasons. No one is happier than me with the success we've seen this season. However, I still can't shake the feeling that this is just not our year in terms of winning the cup. Yes I see the balance in scoring. I see the depth in defense and I see very little weaknesses. However, I still don't see us as being built for the playoffs.

We have Prust, Ryder, Gionta, Subban, and Moen, who are proven playoff performers. Other than that, who would step up in the playoffs for us?
Pleks?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:44 PM
malcb33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post

Not that I believed it either, but I'm pretty sure that EA Sports simulator had us first in the East for a while at least. Not sure where EA predicted the Habs would finish though.

malcb33 is offline   Reply With Quote