HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drew Shore's offensive upside and ideal role

Old
03-09-2013, 12:43 AM
luby3131

vCash: 500
Drew Shore's offensive upside and ideal role

Let me preface this by saying I'm a Drew Shore fan. On any given night he's one of our top forwards, and he has a very well rounded game, especially in his own zone. The one thing that really sticks out to me about him though is his inability to finish his chances. Unlike someone like Huberdeau, Shore lacks that finishing instinct that most top 6 players have. I thought it was just a nervous adjusting to the NHL thing, but he's now 20+ games in to his career and has only potted 2 goals. I just want to ask the board what's his offensive upside and what's his ideal role?

Personally, I think he tops out as a 40 point guy. I think that's a reasonable expectation for him. I also think, ideally, he should slot in as a 3rd line center, with the ability to fill in on the 2nd line if needed.

What does everyone think?

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Killerinstinct

vCash: 50
Having better roster Shore indeed has decent skills to be 3rd line center. Nothing more nothing less.

Killerinstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Benched

Biggest thing is that he holds the puck too long. Needs to learn not to get too cute with things and hit open shooting lanes. I think he could develop in to a top six forward if he does so. Good hands, speed, skates, forcheck. Just needs to learn to not be so nervous with the puck.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:52 AM
hockey dude

What a great way to start a career between Huberdeau and Mueller. Not sure the kid has earned the right. We'll see I guess. I wonder where Matthias would be now with those types of opportunities?

hockey dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:13 AM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

I think he could be a 50 pt. guy. Ideally though yeah you might want him as the 3rd best center on a stacked team. He's still very inexperienced and I don't think we can put a limit on him just yet.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:06 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
If he plays anything above 3rd line center than we are pulling a Panthers with him. Guy doesn't have the offensive game to be a 2nd line center but will be a GREAT 3rd line center on this team for years to come.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:22 AM
ShootIt

He has 2 goals, Oh well. Still believe He can be a top 6 center. Put up 30 points in 41 games for the Rampage, and you all know how good they are. I don't think he'll ever be a 25-30 goal scorer, doesn't automatically mean his limit is a third liner

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
He has 2 goals, Oh well. Still believe He can be a top 6 center. Put up 30 points in 41 games for the Rampage, and you all know how good they are. I don't think he'll ever be a 25-30 goal scorer, doesn't automatically mean his limit is a third liner
Yeah, his hockey sense is top notch and he's a better playmaker than a goal scorer anyway.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:20 AM
RainingRats

He can be a 50-60 point two way center. He doesn't have the finishing quite yet but he's more a of a playmaker anyway. He's also been robbed a few times. He'll get his breaks. And as a rookie he's been matched up against the other team's best players most nights.

Not topping out as more than a 40 point player is silly seeing how he's almost on that pace playing as the #1 center at 22 years old on a horrible team as a rookie who has to face the best player's on the other team each night.

He's going to be our #2 center for a long time. I can't believe people assess his talent as a third line center.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:35 AM
RainingRats

His assets: Size, skating for his size, hard worker, good passer, good hockey IQ, good in faceoff circle, very good defensively.

He needs work on: finishing and sometimes being too cute when he could make the more simple play but he's not as bad as some of our players who try to be too cute

Overall if his offensive game never improves he's a third line center on a very good team. If he starts finishing he could be a borderline #1 center on an average team. He's going to be a #2 center who plays a great two way game. I could easily see 15-20 goals 30-40 assists and a + plus player over an 82 game season.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:54 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Yeah, his hockey sense is top notch and he's a better playmaker than a goal scorer anyway.
Thats the one thing I know people get annoyed about but its true. He's not a goal scorer so complaining that he doesnt finish chances is kind of a waste if you ask me. People need to set their expectations based on this...he'll never be a 20 goal scorer IMO. I think the most he ever scores in a season will be 15 goals, and most likely to average around 10-12. He has the potential to be a 40 pt forward though as evident by his playmaking & hockey sense already displayed. Maybe he doesnt quite achieve that completely but I think he's basically a slightly better version of Goc.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
I think he'll be the perfect 3rd line center. 15 goals / 40 points / penalty killing

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Android 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
Let me preface this by saying I'm a Drew Shore fan. On any given night he's one of our top forwards, and he has a very well rounded game, especially in his own zone. The one thing that really sticks out to me about him though is his inability to finish his chances. Unlike someone like Huberdeau, Shore lacks that finishing instinct that most top 6 players have. I thought it was just a nervous adjusting to the NHL thing, but he's now 20+ games in to his career and has only potted 2 goals. I just want to ask the board what's his offensive upside and what's his ideal role?

Personally, I think he tops out as a 40 point guy. I think that's a reasonable expectation for him. I also think, ideally, he should slot in as a 3rd line center, with the ability to fill in on the 2nd line if needed.

What does everyone think?
Give him a chance to adjust to the speed of the NHL. Takes a little longer for college players to get use to the flow.

Android 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Top end - Ryan Kesler

Most likely - RJ Umberger

Low end - Manny Malholtra

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Ghoste
#CatsAreComing

So basically, he'll at the least be a better version of Goc who we all love? I'll take that.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:25 PM
p9ers

Huberdeau is kind of ruining what we should expect from a rookie.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Thats the one thing I know people get annoyed about but its true. He's not a goal scorer so complaining that he doesnt finish chances is kind of a waste if you ask me. People need to set their expectations based on this...he'll never be a 20 goal scorer IMO. I think the most he ever scores in a season will be 15 goals, and most likely to average around 10-12. He has the potential to be a 40 pt forward though as evident by his playmaking & hockey sense already displayed. Maybe he doesnt quite achieve that completely but I think he's basically a slightly better version of Goc.
Yep, a better Goc, who was great in our playoff run last year. Sounds good to me. I'd say that's a bit better than your average 3rd line center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
This. Shore is off to a fantastic start to his career.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:25 AM
JP Mick
Real Good.

vCash: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dude View Post
What a great way to start a career between Huberdeau and Mueller. Not sure the kid has earned the right. We'll see I guess. I wonder where Matthias would be now with those types of opportunities?
He earned the right because he has the skills. Matthias has some work ethic and a little skill. If anyone is second guessing why Shore is where he is right now, then you haven't watched him play.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:32 AM
SeasonTicket

I think the point he is making is that huberdeau would make anyone look good.

Regarding the comment on Matthias. He was never given a chance yet in his career to play with that type of player. I don't think during Debour's time here Shore would have been given this opportunity.
Players like Matthias! Repik, etc... Had to suffer some lean times with minimal minutes in that era. Debour never trusted rookies in his time here but has changed that somewhat in New Jersey.

I like Shore but he has a lot to learn yet. Huge mistake on that 2nd goal in the last Winnipeg game. Completely leaves his guy open in the slot. Dineen unlike Debour is allowing rookies to make mistakes and learn on the job. But then again he really has no choice.

My hope is that we find a great center to play with Huberdeau in the future.

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:46 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
Best post in this thread.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:48 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dude View Post
Matthias has been given plenty of opportunities. He lacks offensive skill and even though he's one of the guys with a good work ethic he definitely disappears for games, something Shore hasn't done so far.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonTicket View Post

Regarding the comment on Matthias. He was never given a chance yet in his career to play with that type of player. I don't think during Debour's time here Shore would have been given this opportunity.
Players like Matthias! Repik, etc... Had to suffer some lean times with minimal minutes in that era. Debour never trusted rookies in his time here but has changed that somewhat in New Jersey.

I like Shore but he has a lot to learn yet. Huge mistake on that 2nd goal in the last Winnipeg game. Completely leaves his guy open in the slot. Dineen unlike Debour is allowing rookies to make mistakes and learn on the job. But then again he really has no choice.

Very true, that was very bad coverage, but he has been great defensively so far so that side of his game isn't a concern. He's going to make some mistakes, he's only 20 games into his career.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:51 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonTicket View Post

They all had their opportunities. Shore started out in the AHL and moved his way up all season and nobody would argue he didn't earn ir or deserve it with his play.

That second goal was Campbell and Shore's fault because they didn't communicate. Something that goes on a lot when Campbell is on the ice. Shore is one of our most responsible forwards which is why as a rookie he got playing time early on.

Last edited by RainingRats: 03-10-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old
03-10-2013, 11:10 AM
pantherbot

Shore is basically playing at a 40 point pace right now...in his first NHL season...and some of you think that this is his ceiling...? That makes no sense to me.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
Shore is basically playing at a 40 point pace right now...in his first NHL season...and some of you think that this is his ceiling...? That makes no sense to me.
I'm sorta wondering the same.. But I'm assuming everybody is thinking Huby is inflating his stats.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote