HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 10:51 AM
IceManCat
A New Era

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
It's fun to speculate about trades, but the absolute first order of business would be for the owners to trade themselves so we get some real owners who understand that in today's NHL spending to the cap is essentially a prerequisite for postseason success. And vice versa. Even a casual fan can see that. Even a team with young (read: cheap) talent will have to spend. We're not doing it, so the panthers' business model does not place on-ice performance as a critical measure of success. Ultimately, the owners (the ones with real control, not Viner) don't give a crap about how well the team does.
I don't agree with this, the owners are very much invested in our team. I think it was the year that McCabe was captain we were spending right up to the cap. They were even willing to shell out 3 mill for Kopecky a career 3/4th liner and gave Jovo the money. When we have players that are worth spending money on, they will spend it.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:52 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Players who won't be moved: Huberdeau, Shore, Gudbranson, Markstrom

Players who are unlikely to be moved because of value: Mueller, Matthias

Player who could be moved in a hockey trade (as opposed to a deadline deal): Kulikov

Players who could be moved if the right deal comes up but are less likely to be moved because of relationship to Tallon: Campbell, Skille

Players who could be moved: Versteeg, Fleischmann, Goc, Kopecky, Weaver, Kuba, Parros

Players who we'd love to move but won't be because they have no value: Weiss, Clemmensen, Jovo, Upshall
Good list. I agree with everything except for Skille and Matthias. I think Tallon would trade Matthias for the right deal.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:00 AM
pantherbot

I think it would be a big mistake to move some of our more core players just because we had an off year.

Players like Flash, Versteeg, Kopecky, Goc and even Weiss are key contributors to this team who I think can help provide some stability to this franchise so that the youngsters can come up in a proper environment. This has been a bad year, but I'm fairly confident that this is not reflective of the effort these guys have put forward throughout their careers.

Next year will be year 3 of the "blue print" and we need to be set up for success next year, not several years down the road with late 1st or 2nd rounders. If this team does poorly again next year, I can see some big problems with the fan base, management, etc. We need some stability and certainty, not another merry-go-round of players.

Also, replacing players in free agency is not as easy as some of you may think. This year's free agency pool is not very good, it is going to be a seller's market out there so the free agents will be going where they want and paid what they're asking. This means that we will have a lot more competition for free agents and it would be difficult for us to replace the assets we trade away.

Players I would be will to part with and who I think would have some valueare Santorelli, Parros, Kuba, Kovalev, Weaver. These guys can bring us some 3rd or later round picks which should help build our prospect pool a bit.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
I think it would be a big mistake to move some of our more core players just because we had an off year.

Players like Flash, Versteeg, Kopecky, Goc and even Weiss are key contributors to this team who I think can help provide some stability to this franchise so that the youngsters can come up in a proper environment. This has been a bad year, but I'm fairly confident that this is not reflective of the effort these guys have put forward throughout their careers.

Next year will be year 3 of the "blue print" and we need to be set up for success next year, not several years down the road with late 1st or 2nd rounders. If this team does poorly again next year, I can see some big problems with the fan base, management, etc. We need some stability and certainty, not another merry-go-round of players.

Also, replacing players in free agency is not as easy as some of you may think. This year's free agency pool is not very good, it is going to be a seller's market out there so the free agents will be going where they want and paid what they're asking. This means that we will have a lot more competition for free agents and it would be difficult for us to replace the assets we trade away.

Players I would be will to part with and who I think would have some valueare Santorelli, Parros, Kuba, Kovalev, Weaver. These guys can bring us some 3rd or later round picks which should help build our prospect pool a bit.
So it will be just like two years ago? That's what makes me laugh, a year ahead of time everyone says "next summer's free agency market is going to be awesome!" and then several players get re-signed and then "it's weak". The truth of the matter is, it's pretty much the same every year. We signed a lot of the top FA's on the market two years ago, and beat out a lot of the competition to do so. We won't need nearly as many this summer. It's far from a crisis situation if we trade away a few guys.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Flash and Mueller keep popping up in trade rumours. I don't think Tallon has any plans to move either of them.

Mueller will hopefully be re-signed for 2-3 years. I assume he'll want to stay since we gave him a shot to kind of re-establish himself in this league.

Honestly, the only people I could see getting moved if anyone even wants them is Upshall, Kuba, Santorelli or Kovalev.

Goc and Weaver are both on great cap hits for what they bring and I think Tallon might be better inclined to keep them around for next season.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I don't see us having any trading chips really. Mike Weaver will be wanted but is injured. Kopecky and Goc are wanted for sure but I don't see us moving them as we'd have to replace them

Old
03-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Laus723
Future Now

That's a Garrioch article, he's unreliable.

Flash I could see moved, don't want Goc or Kopecky moved, but I still trust Tallon. Just set us up for next year and never let us be here again.

03-10-2013, 01:33 PM
p9ers

I think our situation is quite like the Habs last year, a lot of injuries make the team look terrible. With just some nice complemental additions, they are now on top of the East. This team need to overpay for a guy (maybe two) like Prust. In my opinion, they should target players like Bozak, Orr, Larose, Torres, Cook and David Clarkson.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Would love Clarkson.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:38 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
I think our situation is quite like the Habs last year, a lot of injuries make the team look terrible. With just some nice complemental additions, they are now on top of the East. This team need to overpay for a guy (maybe two) like Prust. In my opinion, they should target players like Bozak, Orr, Larose, Torres, Cook and David Clarkson.
I think NJ signs Clarkson but he'd be a nice piece assuming we trade one of Flash or Versteeg. We could def use Torres/Cook/Larose in our bottom 6 for some toughness. Bozak seems like the most likely UFA signing to replace Weiss but I imagine Toronto may want him back and other teams will be interested.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

How would FLA fans feel about Versteeg and Goc/Matthais for Schroder, Connauton, Raymond/prospect not named Jensen or Corrado and a 2nd?

Old
03-10-2013, 05:47 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Then we need the ultimate tank commander..

Jeff Shaffer?

Old
03-10-2013, 06:06 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
That's a Garrioch article, he's unreliable.

Flash I could see moved, don't want Goc or Kopecky moved, but I still trust Tallon. Just set us up for next year and never let us be here again.
This intermission Tallon interview helped keep my chin up, in Tallon I trust.

Taking it from your post, heres the logjam- Matthias and Skille go nowhere, NOBODY completes that line better than a healthy Bergenheim. One line down.

Huberdeau Shore Mueller. The obvious, two down.

Versteeg needs new partners, you wanna keep Goc n Kopecky. Three down.

Parros stays. Two main spots left. Weiss, Smithson, Upshall, AND Flash going? Enter Bjugstad and Grimaldi? Or keep Weiss, Rocco not ready?

Last edited by CHGoalie27: 03-10-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 06:15 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post

Weaver is our best defensive dman. Hes our best PKer.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:21 PM
ursavolta

I find it hard to trade players like Veersteeg, Flash, Kopecky. I mean, what returns are we going to bring? More picks? What about next year?

Dubinsky?

Old
03-10-2013, 06:58 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
This intermission Tallon interview helped keep my chin up, in Tallon I trust.
Taking it from your post, heres the logjam- Matthias and Skille go nowhere, NOBODY completes that line better than a healthy Bergenheim. One line down.

Huberdeau Shore Mueller. The obvious, two down.

Versteeg needs new partners, you wanna keep Goc n Kopecky. Three down.

Parros stays. Two main spots left. Weiss, Smithson, Upshall, AND Flash going? Enter Bjugstad and Grimaldi? Or keep Weiss, Rocco not ready?
Would you summarize for us not watching? I'm just listening on the radio tonight... The Kevin guy who does the intermission report was hacking up something nasty, I turned down the volume

Old
03-10-2013, 07:37 PM
JdRoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Would you summarize for us not watching? I'm just listening on the radio tonight... The Kevin guy who does the intermission report was hacking up something nasty, I turned down the volume
Just from memory i can remember a few things

Goldie asked Tallon about Markstrom and the injury situation having many top 6 players out, Tallon responded that Markstrom is the future and that he can be a Number one goalie in this league, he also added that he looks a little nervous at the start of the game, but that you can clearly see the talent. He finished with saying we are getting a chance to see him develop in front of our eyes.

He also talked about huberdeau i believe the question was if Tallon was expecting this kind of playfrom hubs. Tallon said something along the lines that he thinks very highly of him and that this play was well forseen. He added again about how great it is to see this youngsters grow in front of our own eyes.

Goldie then asked about the impending trade deadline, and if we can expect any moves ... big / small. Tallon said that is always up for improving this franchise, but that he would not put the "Blueprint" at risk.

Tallon touched on the Weiss situation also and he said that they would love to have him back, and that it takes two to tango... blah blah.

Well that's all i remember , might not be 100% accurate . Cheers

Old
03-10-2013, 08:11 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Players who won't be moved: Huberdeau, Shore, Gudbranson, Markstrom

Players who are unlikely to be moved because of value: Mueller, Matthias

Player who could be moved in a hockey trade (as opposed to a deadline deal): Kulikov

Players who could be moved if the right deal comes up but are less likely to be moved because of relationship to Tallon: Campbell, Skille

Players who could be moved: Versteeg, Fleischmann, Goc, Kopecky, Weaver, Kuba, Parros

Players who we'd love to move but won't be because they have no value: Weiss, Clemmensen, Jovo, Upshall
Totally agree with this list. I'd miss Goc and Kopecky though. I doubt another team takes a chance on Versteeg (4 teams in 4 years) and Flash's value has dropped a fair bit this year at his salary cap hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Good list. I agree with everything except for Skille and Matthias. I think Tallon would trade Matthias for the right deal.
I'm starting to think Skille used to date your girlfriend/fiance/wife. No love for Skille at all. He's an awesome 4th liner in my eyes. He's playing lot more because of the injury list we love to add to every week.

Trading Matthias would be a really stupid move, the kid should be rewarded with a decent contract while still being a RFA. He could become a solid 15-20 goal/35-40 point man next season. Matthias and Skille are 2/3 of a nice 4th line combo moving forward.

Potential Lines for next year:

1) Flash - Weiss OR his replacement FA signing - Versteeg

2) Mueller - Shore - Hubs

3) Kopy - Goc - Bergy

4) Skille - Matthias - UNFILLED (Bjugstad would be nice)

Old
03-10-2013, 08:31 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
Totally agree with this list. I'd miss Goc and Kopecky though. I doubt another team takes a chance on Versteeg (4 teams in 4 years) and Flash's value has dropped a fair bit this year at his salary cap hit.

I'm starting to think Skille used to date your girlfriend/fiance/wife. No love for Skille at all. He's an awesome 4th liner in my eyes. He's playing lot more because of the injury list we love to add to every week.

Trading Matthias would be a really stupid move, the kid should be rewarded with a decent contract while still being a RFA. He could become a solid 15-20 goal/35-40 point man next season. Matthias and Skille are 2/3 of a nice 4th line combo moving forward.

Potential Lines for next year:

1) Flash - Weiss OR his replacement FA signing - Versteeg

2) Mueller - Shore - Hubs

3) Kopy - Goc - Bergy

4) Skille - Matthias - UNFILLED (Bjugstad would be nice)
I wouldn't worry about any gf dating Skille. As you can see he has a lot of trouble scoring. He's not an awesome fourth liner. He is one dimensional. That dimension is skating up the wing and shooting the puck either into the goalie's chest or shooting the puck wide and it goes out of the zone. He isn't physical and he is not good defensively.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:37 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Weird statistic of the night:

The Lightning is +6. The Panthers are -31.

Despite being +37 on the Panthers, the Lightning only have 21 points to the Panthers 20.

The Panthers remain league worst in +/- ... nothing weird about that though.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
As much as I like the kid line I doubth it'll stay together once we get healthy and new bodies in next season. I see Bjugstad taking over that center spot and in the long run Shore being a great 3rd line center.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:58 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about any gf dating Skille. As you can see he has a lot of trouble scoring. He's not an awesome fourth liner. He is one dimensional. That dimension is skating up the wing and shooting the puck either into the goalie's chest or shooting the puck wide and it goes out of the zone. He isn't physical and he is not good defensively.
But as a TRUE 4th liner, Skille wouldn't be playing more than 5-10 minutes a game.

For me his numbers are decent for playing 24 games getting 3 goals, 5 helpers for 8 points while being a season -1 with only 6 PIMS and 38 shots on goal @ $825,000.

I mean Parros is getting $875,000 and he's an apparent 4th liner. We need a full-time tough guy not a part-timer. Skille is leaps and bounds a better 4th liner than Parros, at least agree somewhat with that argument ......DOOOOOOO ITTTTTTT!

Old
03-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
I do like Skille though. He's not the perfect 4th liner, but he gets the puck into the offensive zone with his speed, and he draws a lot of penalties. 4th liners aren't expected to score. He chips in a few goals a year. We could do a lot worse.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
I have no problem with Skille. Always hustling and puts up a little bit of points. To me, that's what a 4th liner does. You just have to forget that he was a 1st round pick.

As far as our individual players, he's been one of the ones who have been playing well.

-ghoste

Old
03-10-2013, 09:48 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
But as a TRUE 4th liner, Skille wouldn't be playing more than 5-10 minutes a game.

For me his numbers are decent for playing 24 games getting 3 goals, 5 helpers for 8 points while being a season -1 with only 6 PIMS and 38 shots on goal @ $825,000.

I mean Parros is getting $875,000 and he's an apparent 4th liner. We need a full-time tough guy not a part-timer. Skille is leaps and bounds a better 4th liner than Parros, at least agree somewhat with that argument ......DOOOOOOO ITTTTTTT!
I want guys on my fourth line who will bring physical play (something we really really lack), be defensively responsible, and can grind out in the corners, cycling the puck. I don't care if they can score. Skille does none of that.

Parros was brought in as a sideshow/lockerroom guy imo.

Closed Thread