HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

A Trade for a 2nd Line Centre that keeps our Salary the same...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-26-2006, 08:56 PM
  #1
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
A Trade for a 2nd Line Centre that keeps our Salary the same...

I was thinking about this for a while, teams needing to add a decent #1 Goalie or a Goalie to be a tandem to split equal time with a another decent Goalie.

Obviously the goalie in question for trade from our end would be Aebisher. What Montreal is paying him isn't what they want a #2 to be paid, plus it looks with the salary given to Huet it makes him the #1, there isn't an opening to be fought for at camp as the #1.

The team I think we should make a trade with that needs a goalie, knows his style and has a decent 2nd string to play with is the Detroit Red Wings. The player in return from the Wings would be Robert Lang, a player whose name has been dropped in proposals here before and a player who has had some of his best success in his career with Kovalev and vise versa for Kovalev. Another strong addition to this line would be Samsonov because he is a LW, Kovy a RW and Lang the C. To me this could be a very dangerous line, one that could have the opportunity to score everytime when out on the ice.

Lang carries a salary of $3.8 million and Aebisher has the salary of $1.9 million. Since we would be addressing a move for a 2nd (or possibly 1st line centre, depending on how this line produces) Ribs would be expendable and would also address another need Detroit would need in losing Lang. Ribs also carries a salary of $1.9 million, his salary along with Aebishers would be the exact same total being brought to Montreal and the same being sent to Detroit. Detroit has 8 Dmen signed and need forwards like Ribs to be there to be with the Williams, Datsyuks, Zetterbergs and so on. I think a trade like this would address both teams needs in areas they are needing to upgrade, plus such a deal makes an older team like Detroit younger and it makes a team like ourselves aqcuire another veteran to help our youngsters like Higgins, Perezhogin and others.

What do you think? Would you be willing to make a trade like this? Would you want something else in return like a pick or prospect?

Ribeiro & Aebisher to Detroit for Lang?

To me it makes sense and leaves cap space for other things...opinions please.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:00 PM
  #2
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,072
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I was thinking about this for a while, teams needing to add a decent #1 Goalie or a Goalie to be a tandem to split equal time with a another decent Goalie.

Obviously the goalie in question for trade from our end would be Aebisher. What Montreal is paying him isn't what they want a #2 to be paid, plus it looks with the salary given to Huet it makes him the #1, there isn't an opening to be fought for at camp as the #1.

The team I think we should make a trade with that needs a goalie, knows his style and has a decent 2nd string to play with is the Detroit Red Wings. The player in return from the Wings would be Robert Lang, a player whose name has been dropped in proposals here before and a player who has had some of his best success in his career with Kovalev and vise versa for Kovalev. Another strong addition to this line would be Samsonov because he is a LW, Kovy a RW and Lang the C. To me this could be a very dangerous line, one that could have the opportunity to score everytime when out on the ice.

Lang carries a salary of $3.8 million and Aebisher has the salary of $1.9 million. Since we would be addressing a move for a 2nd (or possibly 1st line centre, depending on how this line produces) Ribs would be expendable and would also address another need Detroit would need in losing Lang. Ribs also carries a salary of $1.9 million, his salary along with Aebishers would be the exact same total being brought to Montreal and the same being sent to Detroit. Detroit has 8 Dmen signed and need forwards like Ribs to be there to be with the Williams, Datsyuks, Zetterbergs and so on. I think a trade like this would address both teams needs in areas they are needing to upgrade, plus such a deal makes an older team like Detroit younger and it makes a team like ourselves aqcuire another veteran to help our youngsters like Higgins, Perezhogin and others.

What do you think? Would you be willing to make a trade like this? Would you want something else in return like a pick or prospect?

Ribeiro & Aebisher to Detroit for Lang?

To me it makes sense and leaves cap space for other things...opinions please.


i proposed this before and apparently they are overflowing with centers or something. Or at least, Dastyuk is #1 and Zetterberg is #2, and Ribeiro doesn't make an ideal 3rd line center. For some reason though I always thought Zetterberg was one of Datsyuk's wingers

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:10 PM
  #3
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
i proposed this before and apparently they are overflowing with centers or something. Or at least, Dastyuk is #1 and Zetterberg is #2, and Ribeiro doesn't make an ideal 3rd line center. For some reason though I always thought Zetterberg was one of Datsyuk's wingers
Zetterberg is listed as both a Winger and Centre, so is Williams. Detroit is multi-talented in the players being listed as W and C.

I'm not saying it will happen, but Zetterberg and Hudler are the future of this team and Datsyuk could be a player other teams may get a chance to trade for if they can send Detroit the players they are looking for since they have lost Stevie Y and Shanny. Detroit is old (Schneider, Wooley, Chelios, Draper, Maltby and others aren't getting any younger) and this team could be on the verge of a major rebuild if they don't aqcuire or develop some youth that can make a difference ASAP, I don't think HOCKEYTOWN wants to go through a rebuild.

A player like Ribs could make sense if they make other changes, even as a 3rd line centre he is a better option there than Cleary or Franzen.

I think this trade could still work, if your saying the above two are centres #1 and #2 well then Lang at $3.8 million is a very expensive #3 and it would make more sense for Detroit to have Ribs at that spot for $1.9 million then.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:18 PM
  #4
flappuck
Registered User
 
flappuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Ribeiro & Aebisher to Detroit for Lang?

To me it makes sense and leaves cap space for other things...opinions please.
To trade Ribeiro who's a young player that still has great potential and started to show better work ethic once Carbonneau and Gainey stepped behind the bench for an aging center with one year left on his contract is something I wouldn't be willing to do.

I'd rather give Ribeiro another chance before I move him.
Let him play 20-30 games with Kovalev and Samsonov before we start thinking about trading him.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:33 PM
  #5
Live Forever
Registered User
 
Live Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 500
Mike Johnson?

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 09:36 PM
  #6
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever View Post
Mike Johnson?
same thought

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:03 PM
  #7
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Ribeiro & Aebisher to Detroit for Lang?

To me it makes sense and leaves cap space for other things...opinions please.
It doesn't gain much cap space and it obliges Gainey to use Danis immediately as a backup when Danis could use more playing time (which he could get as a #1 in the AHL).

Back to you, RE-HABS.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:06 PM
  #8
Cyrrus147
Registered User
 
Cyrrus147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I was thinking about this for a while, teams needing to add a decent #1 Goalie or a Goalie to be a tandem to split equal time with a another decent Goalie.

Obviously the goalie in question for trade from our end would be Aebisher. What Montreal is paying him isn't what they want a #2 to be paid, plus it looks with the salary given to Huet it makes him the #1, there isn't an opening to be fought for at camp as the #1.

The team I think we should make a trade with that needs a goalie, knows his style and has a decent 2nd string to play with is the Detroit Red Wings. The player in return from the Wings would be Robert Lang, a player whose name has been dropped in proposals here before and a player who has had some of his best success in his career with Kovalev and vise versa for Kovalev. Another strong addition to this line would be Samsonov because he is a LW, Kovy a RW and Lang the C. To me this could be a very dangerous line, one that could have the opportunity to score everytime when out on the ice.

Lang carries a salary of $3.8 million and Aebisher has the salary of $1.9 million. Since we would be addressing a move for a 2nd (or possibly 1st line centre, depending on how this line produces) Ribs would be expendable and would also address another need Detroit would need in losing Lang. Ribs also carries a salary of $1.9 million, his salary along with Aebishers would be the exact same total being brought to Montreal and the same being sent to Detroit. Detroit has 8 Dmen signed and need forwards like Ribs to be there to be with the Williams, Datsyuks, Zetterbergs and so on. I think a trade like this would address both teams needs in areas they are needing to upgrade, plus such a deal makes an older team like Detroit younger and it makes a team like ourselves aqcuire another veteran to help our youngsters like Higgins, Perezhogin and others.

What do you think? Would you be willing to make a trade like this? Would you want something else in return like a pick or prospect?

Ribeiro & Aebisher to Detroit for Lang?

To me it makes sense and leaves cap space for other things...opinions please.
why going for a old veteran who s getting pay 3,9 M$ a year??

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:44 PM
  #9
Pere Noel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,438
vCash: 500
I would go for Zetterberg and forget the rest.... Lang is too old... Datsyuk is questionable... I see him sitting on his contract eventually.

Now that being said... I am sure Detroit think the same. But if ever they happen to be in a bad cap situation... who knows.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 10:48 PM
  #10
shortcat1
Registered User
 
shortcat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Downtown Palau, ON
Country: Palau
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
why going for a old veteran who s getting pay 3,9 M$ a year??
Not only that but he's just another body blocking the possible advancement of some of our your prospects (ie: Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Latendresse, Grabovsky, etc.)

Don't need that stuff....

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 11:33 PM
  #11
habsfan44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
i think the habs are finished trading and signing players only question is what rookie will make the team ? btw i think the habs are in great shape for the upcoming season . look for them to take the next step this year to becoming legitimate stanley contenders and if all goes well a cup by 2010. p.s. look for bg to make his next big move around the trade deadline

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:09 AM
  #12
habscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 592
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
There's a huge flaw in that logic. Now that Yzerman has retired, why would the Red Wings weaken their depth at centre by trading Lang for Ribeiro? That would be a clear downgrade at that position.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:18 AM
  #13
Netro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
While I am not happy that Ribs is the #2 centre, esp. at $1.9 mil, it makes no sense to acquire and aging 35 year old centre making $3.9 mil.

This season will start with Ribs on the team, most probably his last as a Hab. I suspect that unless Ribs comes up huge this year, BG will let him walk after the season when he is a UFA. (which I am ok with)

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:28 AM
  #14
flappuck
Registered User
 
flappuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
While I am not happy that Ribs is the #2 centre, esp. at $1.9 mil,
You'd rather have Petr Nedved at 2.3M$? Dave Scatchard at 2.1M$? Mike York at 2.85M$? or maybe Bobby Holik at 4.25M$?

Ribeiro's price is cheap compared to other centers who produce as much or in some cases, less...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:51 AM
  #15
Netro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
You'd rather have Petr Nedved at 2.3M$? Dave Scatchard at 2.1M$? Mike York at 2.85M$? or maybe Bobby Holik at 4.25M$?

Ribeiro's price is cheap compared to other centers who produce as much or in some cases, less...
I'd rather have none of them, expect maybe Mike York, though he is expensive but has speed to burn, and plays many different facets of the game (e.g. kills penalties).

Instead of comparing Ribs to others, because I am sure I could find players, just like you, that I would prefer to have, analyze his game. Ribs is slow, small, does not play physical, is poor defensively and horrible on face-offs. Yes, he has great vision and playmaking ability but his weaknesses prevent him from executing on a consistent basis. And we know he has consistency issues. Plus, his playoff performances to date have been weak. Ribs is on the team to provide offense and when he doesn't, for the lack of a better word, he is useless.

This has nothing to do with who I want in his place, it has everything to do with whether I think Ribs can do the job and whether I think he is worth the money. At this point, I don't. Considering he is the Habs #2 centre, I would be ecstatic if he proves me wrong this season, and I hope he does, but as of today, based on what I have seen in his career, it does concern me that the Habs have him as the #2 centre.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:57 AM
  #16
flappuck
Registered User
 
flappuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
I'd rather have none of them, expect maybe Mike York, though he is expensive but has speed to burn, and plays many different facets of the game (e.g. kills penalties).

Instead of comparing Ribs to others, because I am sure I could find players, just like you, that I would prefer to have, analyze his game. Ribs is slow, small, does not play physical, is poor defensively and horrible on face-offs. Yes, he has great vision and playmaking ability but his weaknesses prevent him from executing on a consistent basis. And we know he has consistency issues. Plus, his playoff performances to date have been weak. Ribs is on the team to provide offense and when he doesn't, for the lack of a better word, he is useless.

This has nothing to do with who I want in his place, it has everything to do with whether I think Ribs can do the job and whether I think he is worth the money. At this point, I don't. Considering he is the Habs #2 centre, I would be ecstatic if he proves me wrong this season, and I hope he does, but as of today, based on what I have seen in his career, it does concern me that the Habs have him as the #2 centre.
I understand your points.
Maybe I'm delusional in thinking that we'll see a greatly improved Ribeiro this year but I really believe in Carbonneau making him a better player.

What I saw from Ribeiro at season's end, I liked.
He seemed to have a better work ethic... Hell, he went in corners and actually hit people.... Didn't crush anyone with those hits but he still went in there...
Power skating and one of them Kovalev training tapes and he should be good to start next season strong... lol

His face off performances were a lot better in the playoffs (close to 50%) and with Carbonneau and Muller behind the bench, I expect all Montreal centers to become much more efficient in the circle.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:02 AM
  #17
Netro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
I understand your points.
Maybe I'm delusional in thinking that we'll see a greatly improved Ribeiro this year but I really believe in Carbonneau making him a better player.

What I saw from Ribeiro at season's end, I liked.
He seemed to have a better work ethic... Hell, he went in corners and actually hit people.... Didn't crush anyone with those hits but he still went in there...
Power skating and one of them Kovalev training tapes and he should be good to start next season strong... lol

His face off performances were a lot better in the playoffs (close to 50%) and with Carbonneau and Muller behind the bench, I expect all Montreal centers to become much more efficient in the circle.
I hope you are right. And while I see the Habs improving this year, if Ribs plays as you think, then the Habs may end up the surprise team in the NHL this season.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:03 AM
  #18
flappuck
Registered User
 
flappuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
I hope you are right. And while I see the Habs improving this year, if Ribs plays as you think, then the Habs may end up the surprise team in the NHL this season.
<Crosses fingers and prays to God/Kovalev>

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:50 AM
  #19
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Jason Allison vs Ribiero vs Lang

Who is quicker?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:52 AM
  #20
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
I understand your points.
Maybe I'm delusional in thinking that we'll see a greatly improved Ribeiro this year but I really believe in Carbonneau making him a better player.

What I saw from Ribeiro at season's end, I liked.
He seemed to have a better work ethic... Hell, he went in corners and actually hit people.... Didn't crush anyone with those hits but he still went in there...
Power skating and one of them Kovalev training tapes and he should be good to start next season strong... lol

His face off performances were a lot better in the playoffs (close to 50%) and with Carbonneau and Muller behind the bench, I expect all Montreal centers to become much more efficient in the circle.
He went to the front of the net as well which astounded me. If he played in traffic those soft hands could be productive.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:04 AM
  #21
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
You realize this doesn't "keep our salary the same", right?

- Ribeiro $1.9
- Aebischer $1.9

+ Lang $3.8
+ Danis $.5434

So it increases our payroll by $543,400.

At this point, I say let's see how it goes. If Ribeiro is really destroying that line, look to make a move then. But for now, unless someone like a Gomez can be had at the right price, let's stick where we are. Any of Ribeiro, Plekanec, or Johnson can be used in that center spot. Heck, maybe even Bonk will bounce back with a great year.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:22 AM
  #22
Much Love
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 153
vCash: 500
Re:

Lang sucks. He's a Euro stiff.

Bonk pt. 2

Much Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:50 AM
  #23
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu View Post
You realize this doesn't "keep our salary the same", right?

- Ribeiro $1.9
- Aebischer $1.9

+ Lang $3.8
+ Danis $.5434

So it increases our payroll by $543,400.

At this point, I say let's see how it goes. If Ribeiro is really destroying that line, look to make a move then. But for now, unless someone like a Gomez can be had at the right price, let's stick where we are. Any of Ribeiro, Plekanec, or Johnson can be used in that center spot. Heck, maybe even Bonk will bounce back with a great year.
Lang is fairly slow and Ribs was playing better in traffic at the end. If the Habs wanted big and slow with soft hands Jason Allison at a million might make sense

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:52 AM
  #24
Anthony P
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Isn't Lang 37? if he's 35 I'd take a shot on him... but at 37, it's just too old....

The other centers from Detroit are untouchable.... but regardless, Gainey is done trading....

Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.