HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 10:08 PM
big papa

vCash: 500
The Lasalle Vipers were elimited in the playoffs tonight so Both Percy and Brown can play the remaining 4 games this season seance there is no playoffs

Old
03-09-2013, 10:29 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Gotta disagree here, sorry.

Windsor has hosted:

U17, Subway Series, All-Star game.

Which of those has London hosted?
Don't be sorry, just look up the facts.

London has hosted a ton of major events, CHL and otherwise, and yes it makes a difference.

Is that all the WFCU. Has hosted? Lol. Do a quick search ( JLC and Bud Gardens)
And again the city ( London has a good rep for hosting provincial, national events) has a great volunteer and committee base.

Ill go back to original post that this started from.
Colts/Spits should offer up a ton of $ as its the only bid criteria they'll win other than " they hosted 9 yrs ago" so give it to us.

And again Ill say London is a long shot!!!!!!!
In spite of best team, best arena, biggest paying fan base ( yes due to arena) great host exp, numerous well run provincial, national and now WORLD events (figure skate championships)

Wether people like it or not,London does a good job with " events" at the arena and dealing with media/ sponsor requests. More big events than Windsor.

Last edited by aresknights: 03-09-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Percyma

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Don't be sorry, just look up the facts.

London has hosted a ton of major events, CHL and otherwise, and yes it makes a difference.

Is that all the WFCU. Has hosted? Lol. Do a quick search ( JLC and Bud Gardens)
And again the city ( London has a good rep for hosting provincial, national events) has a great volunteer and committee base.

Ill go back to original post that this started from.
Colts/Spits should offer up a ton of $ as its the only bid criteria they'll win other than " they hosted 9 yrs ago" so give it to us.

And again Ill say London is a long shot!!!!!!!
In spite of best team, best arena, biggest paying fan base ( yes due to arena) great host exp, numerous well run provincial, national and now WORLD events (figure skate championships)

Wether people like it or not,London does a good job with " events" at the arena and dealing with media/ sponsor requests. More big events than Windsor.
You forgot to mention the WWE andMonster truck pulls that are so popular with London fans.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:15 AM
OHLTG

We're not talking arena events, but Spitfires v. Knights events. This is a CHL-sanctioned event, so that's all we should be comparing. What CHL events has London hosted at the JLC?

Old
03-10-2013, 09:25 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks3 View Post
This is the OHL not the London Knights league. You think they will win the OHL and Mem cup this year???????? Lets see in a couple of months. There are 20 teams, not 1 team. Go play in a league with yourself's and you can be the champs every year.
Like I said before EVERY team in the league/CHL deserves the right to host the Mem cup.
I would like to see your comments if the table was turned and some other team like Owen Sound or Peterborough were in your shoes.
Hooray,I agree with your post.Thanks you.There are numerous ABK (anybody but Knights)fans out there.Not because of their team but because the cockiness and arrogance of their fans and Media.Since areknights was mentioning so much non hockey related,he failed to mention the most disfunctional city council in the history of Canadian politics.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 03-10-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 09:53 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percyma View Post
You forgot to mention the WWE andMonster truck pulls that are so popular with London fans.
Never been, not my thing. Yes London is full of some real winners as is every city.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:58 AM
aresknights

Quote:
We're not talking arena events, but Spitfires v. Knights events. This is a CHL-sanctioned event, so that's all we should be comparing. What CHL events has London hosted at the JLC?
The committee does look at events outside CHL sanctioned ones when determining the host ability to run an event that requires volunteers, accomondations and the Arena staff.
Your ? Was how many CHL events has London had compared to the 3 u mentioned Windsor did. It's been longer that we've had the arena so it's biased towards London, but we've had way more tHan Windsor and bigger ones.
OHL allstar, top prospects, Russian series, memorial Cup et al .

Last edited by aresknights: 03-10-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 10:27 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks3 View Post
This is the OHL not the London Knights league. You think they will win the OHL and Mem cup this year???????? Lets see in a couple of months. There are 20 teams, not 1 team. Go play in a league with yourself's and you can be the champs every year.
Like I said before EVERY team in the league/CHL deserves the right to host the Mem cup.
I would like to see your comments if the table was turned and some other team like Owen Sound or Peterborough were in your shoes.

I dont think the Knights should get it every year.

I dont know if theyll win the O, its a tough thing to do, for sure. I think they have good a shot as any1, but wont be shocked at all if they dont even win the West. The are far from perfect.

Yes I think every team should get a chance to host IF their bid meets the criteria put forth.

I also think BArrie or Windsor will get it and have said so, but I also think Londons bid would be just as good if not better. Sorry that bothers people but when I look at the criteria, they COULD match up well with any1 EXCEPT for the recent hosting issue.

If Im usually reasonable in ur eyes, Ill take that as the norm instead of the one post you took issue with, decided to throw me in the river with MO (again not a fan lol) and hand clap ur own response.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 03-10-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 10:35 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Hooray,I agree with your post.Thanks you.There are numerous ABK (anybody but Knights)fans out there.Not because of their team but because the cockiness and arrogance of their fans and Media.Since areknights was mentioning so much non hockey related,he failed to mention the most disfunctional city council in the history of Canadian politics.
Yup our city council is a mess. NOt a fan of Joe the clown or a group of his crony councillors. Personaaly I dont have a lot of respect for him as far as it relates to his politics.

Again the non CHL events show the city can host tourneys, provincial, country and world events. Its very relevant in this process. Do you have the volunteer base, experience, good atmosphere, hotels, arena set up, organizing groups, ability to earn $? The memorial Cup is a huge 10 day event, not a single game, in n out type thing as allstar ganes et al are. So why wouldnt the committee look at these things if its in the bid?
Im sure Windsor and Barrie have done these types things as well and hopefully theyve had success as itll help their bids. Im just not familiar enough with those cities to mention the "outside CHL" events theyve hosted, but due to lack of response maybe they havent done it, i Dunno

Old
03-10-2013, 10:42 AM
aresknights

Good luck Windsor and Barrie. I really hope one of you get to host the Cup. Ill be trying to attend no matter who the host is every year its in Ontario.

I was just pointing out Londons pros, and obviously some of you took it as arrogance. It wsnt meant in that way and if taken as such, n ot much I can do or care to do as I and a few of the fans (other teams- Spits, Sting Rangers, Colts et al) know where it comes from.

Last edited by aresknights: 03-10-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 11:09 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Gotta disagree here, sorry.

Windsor has hosted:

U17, Subway Series, All-Star game.

Which of those has London hosted?
All of them in one incarnation or another

Old
03-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Sec108

Quote:
I like a good debate and a good rival. If you don't, go somewhere else

There you have it Spits fans I guess alot of the posters on here are not of the same ilk as us old Barn Spits fans so , so be it.

London used to know they were in a game in the old days when they came to a place like the Barn.....just from the fans.

Now we have a "Love In" to coin a hippie phrase between the 2 teams.

OHLTG has spoken!!!!!!!!!

Old
03-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Who's spouting off?..if anything you're embarrassing yourself amongst your own. Much worse in my opinion
You're fighting a losing battle with this one, lol.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:44 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
You're fighting a losing battle with this one, lol.
If proving a point is fighting...sure.

I've been to Windsor for games..in the new rink and the "Barn". From my own personal experience...The whole "Rough Tough Barn" persona was/is a myth. Never had a problem there..and met some really nice people in both places(might help that I'm 6 ft 2 and 250lbs..who knows..LOL). Knowledge is what makes a hockey fan...loyalty means squat if you know jack about the game. You can be as loyal a fan as you want...but if you know squat about the game..you're nothing more than an idiot wearing "your" team's jersey.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:52 AM
cfaub

If people are looking for non CHL/hockey related events that show the volunteer commitment of the community when it comes to large scale events then there are quite a few. They are not centred around the WFCU Centre but they were rather large scale and while Windsor may not have been the main host they certainly played a role in the events that have taken place in Windsor by playing host to many functions surrounding the events as well as the event itself.

WWE/Wrestlemania and other PPV events
Superbowl and surrounding festivities
Detroit Grand Prix - both Indy version and Formula 1 version
Red Bull Air Races - both Detroit as the primary host and Windsor as the primary host
Superbowl

Yes, many of the events were primarily based in Detroit but being in downtown Detroit for the most part there was a large part played by Windsor and the community with both the main event as well as surrounding events for each of these.

There were many spinoff events held in Windsor to help enhance the event by attracting the Canadian audience as well as to help enhance the experience of the event goers themselves.

No Windsor hasn't hosted the World Figure Skating Championships... yet but London has not been a participant in hosting the Superbowl and the week long festivities surrounding one of the biggest sporting events in the world either.

Both cities have experience with high level, world class events from hosting and logistics involved with such events to the volunteer s required to make such events possible.

I don't know Barrie's history with such events so cannot compare them.

If the question comes down to experience with major events and the volunteers needed to pull it off I don't think London has any advantage over Windsor. Windsor may not have seen the full spotlight but the size of the events involved speaks for themselves and yes Windsor did play an integral part in not only hosting the events but in Detroit getting some of the events in the first place.

Both cities present some unique qualifications when it comes to hosting major events, each offsetting the others.

If Windsor does not get its act together and cannot demonstrate that they deserve to host then they should not get it. As others have said though with no transperency in the bidding process regardless of who wins this bid or any other bid in the past or future there will always be questions raised as to whether the winning bid was the deserving bid.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:58 AM
cfaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
There you have it Spits fans I guess alot of the posters on here are not of the same ilk as us old Barn Spits fans so , so be it.

London used to know they were in a game in the old days when they came to a place like the Barn.....just from the fans.

Now we have a "Love In" to coin a hippie phrase between the 2 teams.

OHLTG has spoken!!!!!!!!!
One thing that amuses me about this type of comment is the fact that if there is no interaction between the fans then what rivalry is there between the fans?

The teams get on the ice, play the game and develop rivalries.

If the only way for a fan to develop a rivalry with another fanbase is to cheer on their own team then half the fun is gone.

Having grown up hanging around The Barn when this team first came into the league I saw the rivlary between the fan bases. The ones who went over the top from both sides and took things to levels that fans never should as well as the fans who were out in the corridors debating the game, the teams and what transpired on the ice.

If the only way to ewnjoy a rivalry is to bash another team strictly among the fans of your own team then you do not have a rivalry between fans simply a one sided arguement between others of the same opinion.

That is not a rivalry.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:18 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
If people are looking for non CHL/hockey related events that show the volunteer commitment of the community when it comes to large scale events then there are quite a few. They are not centred around the WFCU Centre but they were rather large scale and while Windsor may not have been the main host they certainly played a role in the events that have taken place in Windsor by playing host to many functions surrounding the events as well as the event itself.

WWE/Wrestlemania and other PPV events
Superbowl and surrounding festivities
Detroit Grand Prix - both Indy version and Formula 1 version
Red Bull Air Races - both Detroit as the primary host and Windsor as the primary host
Superbowl

Yes, many of the events were primarily based in Detroit but being in downtown Detroit for the most part there was a large part played by Windsor and the community with both the main event as well as surrounding events for each of these.

There were many spinoff events held in Windsor to help enhance the event by attracting the Canadian audience as well as to help enhance the experience of the event goers themselves.

No Windsor hasn't hosted the World Figure Skating Championships... yet but London has not been a participant in hosting the Superbowl and the week long festivities surrounding one of the biggest sporting events in the world either.

Both cities have experience with high level, world class events from hosting and logistics involved with such events to the volunteer s required to make such events possible.

I don't know Barrie's history with such events so cannot compare them.

If the question comes down to experience with major events and the volunteers needed to pull it off I don't think London has any advantage over Windsor. Windsor may not have seen the full spotlight but the size of the events involved speaks for themselves and yes Windsor did play an integral part in not only hosting the events but in Detroit getting some of the events in the first place.

Both cities present some unique qualifications when it comes to hosting major events, each offsetting the others.

If Windsor does not get its act together and cannot demonstrate that they deserve to host then they should not get it. As others have said though with no transperency in the bidding process regardless of who wins this bid or any other bid in the past or future there will always be questions raised as to whether the winning bid was the deserving bid.
Thanks Cfaub. Thats what I was looking for.

Good post.

LIke I said Im sure the community had done a good job with events and this highlights some of them.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
If proving a point is fighting...sure.

I've been to Windsor for games..in the new rink and the "Barn". From my own personal experience...The whole "Rough Tough Barn" persona was/is a myth. Never had a problem there..and met some really nice people in both places(might help that I'm 6 ft 2 and 250lbs..who knows..LOL). Knowledge is what makes a hockey fan...loyalty means squat if you know jack about the game. You can be as loyal a fan as you want...but if you know squat about the game..you're nothing more than an idiot wearing "your" team's jersey.
No... talking any kind of sense into Sec108.

I don't even think he's old enough to remember what it was like "back in the day" at the Barn.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Ottomatic

Khokhlachev playing in Russia 2/3rds of the season cost the Spits the Memorial Cup - True or False?

Old
03-10-2013, 03:46 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Khokhlachev playing in Russia 2/3rds of the season cost the Spits the Memorial Cup - True or False?
is this a trick question?

Old
03-10-2013, 03:49 PM
mini2z

I know we don't have a 1st round pick, but do we have a 2nd round?

Old
03-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini2z View Post
I know we don't have a 1st round pick, but do we have a 2nd round?
2 of them... but I do believe they are in the lower 1/2 of the round.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:51 PM
OHLTG

Section 108 - You'd rather have London fans on their own board and Windsor fans on our own board? If you want that, go create another board Fans chirping is part of the fun here.

Oh, yeah, the game today...

8-1 - Koko hat trick. Pavelka stood on his head. Handful of tilts. Some interesting officiating. London didn't care in the least. That about sums it up

Old
03-10-2013, 05:16 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Looks like 7-13, worse than it is agains the West. REGARDLESS...

This argument isn't actually acurate because the OHL doesn't have conference based scheduling. It's based largely on geography. Mostly you play teams in the other conference twice, but, for example:

Barrie played Owen Sound 6 times.
Sudbury played SSM 6 times.
Niagara played Erie 5 times.
Mississauga played Owen Sound 3 times.

A strength of schedule argument could be made, but someone would actually have to compare the actual teams each team played, not just look at the conference they played in.
Spits official record against the East was 7-8-1-4
Against the the top 5 teams the record was 4-3-1-2
Against the bottom 5 the record was 3-5 -0-2,including 0-2 vs Kingston
The record vs east with healthy lineup post trade deadline was 1-0-0-1

Old
03-10-2013, 05:50 PM
hockeylegend11

If anyone noticed why Boughner was upset after Clarks 2nd fight was because it was Clarks 11th fight,and Spits felt Mermis instigated which he did btw,dropped gloves 1st and challenged after getting bumped,then took his beating

Closed Thread