HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Ok the Caps board opening offer in the Eklund trade that will never happen is Yandle for Johansson, Neuvirth, Wilson, and a 2013 2nd.

And considering that at least some of you want something to help you this year if you don't feel this does it this can be done after the conclusion of the season.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:42 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Ok the Caps board opening offer in the Eklund trade that will never happen is Yandle for Johansson, Neuvirth, Wilson, and a 2013 2nd.
It's not horrific but we'd push for more. 1st round pick (which we could offer Washington some semblance of protection on) would have to be included. Forsberg over Wilson. We need to address a need in the deal or else we have no reason to make the move.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
It's not horrific but we'd push for more. 1st round pick (which we could offer Washington some semblance of protection on) would have to be included. Forsberg over Wilson. We need to address a need in the deal or else we have no reason to make the move.
How would you propose the 1st protection work as right now the Caps pick is top 5?

And I don't watch too many 'Yotes games so what would you say your needs are?

Old
03-10-2013, 11:47 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
This will not help the Coyotes this year. How about Yandle+ for Backstrom?
Backstom is a UFA at season's end. Why don't we just offer him a contract after July 1 and see what happens without giving up Yandle +?

A reminder. Maloney is one of the best GM's in the league. He is not an idiot who was born yesterday.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:49 AM
hbk

Quote:
How would you propose the 1st protection work as right now the Caps pick is top 5?

And I don't watch too many 'Yotes games so what would you say your needs are?
We need top 6 skill. Preferably a C with size and skill who can play a strong two way game.

Protection. Make it a conditional first on where the ping pong balls land/Washington finishes. If Washington doesn't want to give up the pick they can retain but have to pay Phoenix an additional pick (likely a 2nd rounder) or prospect to do so. Essentially it saves McPhee from giving up Seth Jones for Yandle.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Backstom is a UFA at season's end. Why don't we just offer him a contract after July 1 and see what happens without giving up Yandle +?

A reminder. Maloney is one of the best GM's in the league. He is not an idiot who was born yesterday.
Backstom is signed thru 2019.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Jakey53

Quote:

And considering that at least some of you want something to help you this year if you don't feel this does it this can be done after the conclusion of the season.
Is Johansson hurt? I see he only played, I think 9 games this year.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:55 AM
hbk

Quote:
Backstom is signed thru 2019.
capgeek has him as UFA at season's end. sorry I'm looking at the goalie for Minni. Not Washington.

A player signed to 2019 that makes it worse IMO. Our goal in a Yandle deal is to free up cash to ensure we can extend OEL and Boedker. Unless we have an owner willing to increase payroll a deal for Nicklas Backstrom does nothing but make it worse to sign OEL and make this team more vulnerable to an offer sheet.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
We need top 6 skill. Preferably a C with size and skill who can play a strong two way game.

Protection. Make it a conditional first on where the ping pong balls land/Washington finishes. If Washington doesn't want to give up the pick they can retain but have to pay Phoenix an additional pick (likely a 2nd rounder) or prospect to do so. Essentially it saves McPhee from giving up Seth Jones for Yandle.
We don't have a center who fits that description and frankly could use one ourselves.

How about just for simplicity sake we figure out what that additional pick and/or prospect would be if the 1st landed in the protected range?

Old
03-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Is Johansson hurt? I see he only played, I think 9 games this year.
He was yes but he is in the lineup today against the Rangers.

He was definitely top 6 for the Caps last season but with Ribeiro and Backstrom at center they haven't figured out where he fits this season plus he got hurt.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
capgeek has him as UFA at season's end. sorry I'm looking at the goalie for Minni. Not Washington.

A player signed to 2019 that makes it worse IMO. Our goal in a Yandle deal is to free up cash to ensure we can extend OEL and Boedker. Unless we have an owner willing to increase payroll a deal for Nicklas Backstrom does nothing but make it worse to sign OEL and make this team more vulnerable to an offer sheet.
Subtract Sullivan,Lombardi,maybe trade Klesla or Morris in the offseason.Look, I know cash is tight, but there are ways to make it work. If our mindset is to get rid of Yandle to free up cash next year, we will not make the playoffs. What teams are paying for players now, Backstroms contract in my opinion would be a steal, just like Yandles is.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Millhaus

The Caps are never trading Backstrom.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:07 PM
hbk

Quote:
We don't have a center who fits that description and frankly could use one ourselves.

How about just for simplicity sake we figure out what that additional pick and/or prospect would be if the 1st landed in the protected range?
Depends how high Phoenix is on the upside of Forsberg.

For simplicity on protection. We would ask for Washington's 2013 2nd rounder to be included.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Rutkowski

Forsberg shot a puck in my head once so I instantly oppose any trade for him. >=(

Old
03-10-2013, 12:09 PM
hbk

Quote:
Subtract Sullivan,Lombardi,maybe trade Klesla or Morris in the offseason.Look, I know cash is tight, but there are ways to make it work. If our mindset is to get rid of Yandle to free up cash next year, we will not make the playoffs. What teams are paying for players now, Backstroms contract in my opinion would be a steal, just like Yandles is.
You don't bring a player like Yandle in if you are trying to move Backstrom. It's inconceivable to be honest.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Depends how high Phoenix is on the upside of Forsberg.

For simplicity on protection. We would ask for an extra 2nd rounder to be included.
Ok so Johansson, Neuvirth, Forsberg, a 2013 1st, not top 10 (2013 2nd and 2014 2nd if 2013 1st is top 10) works for you?

Old
03-10-2013, 12:20 PM
hbk

Quote:
Ok so Johansson, Neuvirth, Forsberg, a 2013 1st, not top 10 (2013 2nd and 2014 2nd if 2013 1st is top 10) works for you?
We have future goalies coming up and I'm not sold on Neuvirth (but I will bow to other opinions on the board - I'm watching the Caps/Rangers game right now and the Rangers with the loss of Staal will also be bidding against the Caps for Yandle) so I would counter with this:

Johansson (although he has a history of concussions so I may want to call an audible here and subsitute Perreault instead)
Forsberg
Wilson or Neurvirth
2013 1st (if Caps win lottery they can retain and send a 2013 2nd rounder to Phoenix and their 2014 1st round pick instead)

I'm just one voice though on this board. Others may strongly disagree.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
You don't bring a player like Yandle in if you are trying to move Backstrom. It's inconceivable to be honest.
I know Washington will not trade Backstrom. I was dreaming. I just don't want to trade a known commonity for potential, unlless we decide to rebuild. If we trade Yandle, it has to help us now, not the future.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:24 PM
hbk

Quote:
I know Washington will not trade Backstrom. I was dreaming. I just don't want to trade a known commonity for potential, unlless we decide to rebuild. If we trade Yandle, it has to help us now, not the future.
Yandle would help the Caps immensely. I fear this team moving to Quebec and having to play a Yandle/OV/Backstrom PP more than twice a season. We have enough OV against Phoenix highlights kicking around.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
We have future goalies coming up and I'm not sold on Neuvirth (but I will bow to other opinions on the board - I'm watching the Caps/Rangers game right now and the Rangers with the loss of Staal will also be bidding against the Caps for Yandle) so I would counter with this:

Johansson (although he has a history of concussions so I may want to call an audible here and subsitute Perreault instead)
Forsberg
Wilson or Neurvirth
2013 1st (if Caps win lottery they can retain and send a 2013 2nd rounder to Phoenix and their 2014 1st round pick instead)

I'm just one voice though on this board. Others may strongly disagree.
The Rangers don't have cap room for Yandle this year or next. I'm not saying other teams won't be interested but I can't see the Rangers being one of them unless it is in the offseason and they are remaking their team for some reason.

Going back to what Columbus got in the Nash trade, which was him, a 21 year old former 4th rounder and a conditional 3rd for Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon (currently 61st ranked prospect in THN Future Watch), and a late 1st it doesn't seem reasonable IMO to ask for Johansson/Perreault, Forsberg (currently 21st ranked prospect in THN Future Watch), Wilson (currently 62nd ranked prospect in THN Future Watch)/Neuvirth and a very early 1st for Yandle.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
We have future goalies coming up and I'm not sold on Neuvirth
You see Vesentin as your goaltender of the future? He is 20 and in his first year of pro hockey. It is likely to be a while before he is ready for the NHL. And aren't your two current goaltenders both UFAs after this season?

Neuvirth has proven he can be a starter in this league.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:41 PM
hbk

Quote:
The Rangers don't have cap room for Yandle this year or next. I'm not saying other teams won't be interested but I can't see the Rangers being one of them unless it is in the offseason and they are remaking their team for some reason.

Going back to what Columbus got in the Nash trade, which was him, a 21 year old former 4th rounder and a conditional 3rd for Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon (currently 61st ranked prospect in THN Future Watch), and a late 1st it doesn't seem reasonable IMO to ask for Johansson/Perreault, Forsberg (currently 21st ranked prospect in THN Future Watch), Wilson (currently 62nd ranked prospect in THN Future Watch)/Neuvirth and a very early 1st for Yandle.
Nash would only agree to be traded to one team. The NYR. Yandle doesn't have the same luxery.

NYR have issues with several very good RFA's themselves who are due raises. Staal is out long-term. Eye injuries are potentially very career limiting. It could be weeks before they even have a long-term diagnosis but at the very least his season is likely over. Long-term injury reserve for the rest of the contract? That's a potential scenario here.

Flyers and Detroit are in desperate need of a top line blueliner. Edmonton has already repeatedly expressed interest in Yandle.

Phoenix and Maloney have plenty of options here. It's a question of what assets they want and not a move of what assets can they get. Completely different from the Nash deal.

Edit: Just for the record, I don't expect anyone to like the asking price for Yandle. That being said this isn't a sale at Macy's. If the price is too high, the price is too high.

Last edited by hbk: 03-10-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Millhaus

That's all well and good but would you like to make a bet that when this is all said and done that Yandle does not bring back the equivalent of what Nash did, much less substantially more?

There is no way the Caps or anyone else for that matter are trading the equivalent of Johansson/Perreault, Forsberg, Wilson/Neuvirth, and their 2013 1st for Yandle.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:49 PM
hbk

Quote:
That's all well and good but would you like to make a bet that when this is all said and done that Yandle does not bring back the equivalent of what Nash did, much less substantially more?

There is no way the Caps or anyone else for that matter are trading the equivalent of Johansson/Perreault, Forsberg, Wilson/Neuvirth, and their 2013 1st for Yandle.
Then he stays a Coyote. We're fine with that.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Then he stays a Coyote. We're fine with that.
Cool but I'll make sure to dig this discussion back up when he is moved to make room for your many young defensive prospects and salary to resign Ekman-Larsson.

Closed Thread