HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you fire Laviolette? (Philadelphia Daily News article dated March 12, 2013)

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 11:39 PM
blinds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Outsider as well.

Wonder if this would work:

PHILLY:
Torts

NYR:
Ruff

TB:
Lavy
I actually like this, feel like each coach fits the team and all 3 are struggling with where they stand now. Better than Berube and I'd like to see what Torts could do with the Flyers. Wouldn't like Ruff with the Flyers but he could be good with the NYR.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:45 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Nope.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
03-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Giacomin

Why not?

Old
03-10-2013, 01:14 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Lavi's time in Philly is clearly coming to an end. But upper management should be taking a long, hard look at Holmgren. Sure, he as a talent for spotting forward talent. That doesn't do anything to change the several serious missteps he's taken which have had major effects. The 2010 offseason was a debacle. The 2011 offseason was...something. If anything, at the end of the day it ends up as a sideways step that put off doom for a few years. The 2012 offseason is another failure...no backup goalie, and swung out on everyone.

THen throughout his tenure draft picks and prospects have been sent away until the cupboard is almost entirely dry, and the team remains incapable of producing it's own Dmen. Fascinatingly, we could sure use some new dmen, especially ones that are on lower contracts.
I really think they should totally clean house after the season. Just rid the coaching staff and uppermanagement of the "Flyer Family" mentality. it needs to end. Like this offseason. We have tried it that way for how long now? We need a fresh take, a fresh outlook on how to do things here.
No Tocchet, no Hextall, no Murray, no Berube ect ect.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:29 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I really think they should totally clean house after the season. Just rid the coaching staff and uppermanagement of the "Flyer Family" mentality. it needs to end. Like this offseason. We have tried it that way for how long now? We need a fresh take, a fresh outlook on how to do things here.
No Tocchet, no Hextall, no Murray, no Berube ect ect.
The Flyers will get an upgrade on trucculence.

Also, concerning the coaching proposal: Lavy would work really well with the Bolts I think. Great match there.
I'd also like Torts in Philly. Panotch vs Torts would be fun.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:45 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Torts vs the Philly media would be fantastic. He isn't even snide like Pronger. He just straight up punishes them for being stupid.

03-10-2013, 05:06 AM
tymed

I'm usually one to default to defending our team and staff. But of all the potential moves to make right now, I can agree that coach Lavi has lost his place here. He did a great job through this roster transition and development of our young squad but he's lost control of the team, if he ever had much, and lost sight of our ultimate goal here. We have a killer roster and I give credit to Lavi for a lot of the development of the players. He and his ways are just not working now, and it's time to move on before we start blowing apart our core instead....

Old
03-10-2013, 06:27 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Torts vs the Philly media would be fantastic. He isn't even snide like Pronger. He just straight up punishes them for being stupid.
That would epic. And probably the only thing good about his hiring. Can't have him beating on our youngins, can we??

Last edited by healthyscratch: 03-10-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old
03-10-2013, 07:08 AM
flyershockey

I have mixed feelings about Laviolette. I'll always appreciate him for the 2010 run and allowing the forwards to use their creativity and talent instead of bogging them down like we've seen a lot of other coaches do with their better players. I'll always give him credit for grooming Giroux into one of the best players in the NHL.

But, his coaching style really does lend itself to a short shelf life with teams. He's always in the mind frame that if a team isn't winning, then they're not working hard enough. He'll scream and yell, scream and yell, call guys out in the media, and eventually they tune him out. It worked last year because the rookies and new guys were just getting used to the team or even being in the NHL, but that ship has sailed. You don't have to be shrink to know that this team has started to give up on Lavy.

Laviolette is a lot like Mike Keenan in that sense. He can get a good team over the hump and into the playoffs/Stanley Cup Finals, but he's not the kind of guy who will run your organization for 5-10 years. His intensity and inability to take his foot off the gas at times just lends itself to having a team turn on him. I think Lavy will get another gig somewhere, and he might even win another cup, but he's not going to do it here. And they don't need to completely change the team again to figure it out. They have enough talent for another coach to make it work.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Whoever made the point about Lavy being the closer for a team I think has it right. In 2010, this was a team with a lot of veteran players who needed the extra push to get over the time. That isn't what this team is in 2013.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
03-10-2013, 10:00 AM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Coburn is having a rough season thus far, for sure. What does his resigning say about the front office's values that you don't like?
Coburn has the most. Timonen is the second most.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Gert B Frobe

Was it his decision to recall Leighton. Is it his decision to start him?

If the answer is yes to 1 or both of the above then absolutely fire him for being completely ********.

That moron is going to give up a goal on the first hard shot he sees.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:08 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Was it his decision to recall Leighton. Is it his decision to start him?

If the answer is yes to 1 or both of the above then absolutely fire him for being completely ********.

That moron is going to give up a goal on the first hard shot he sees.
We're tanking bro. It's all part of the plan.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:26 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I really hate the thought of tanking. We make fun of the Pens doing it yet it looks like we're doing it now.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:34 AM
mantis toboggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I really hate the thought of tanking. We make fun of the Pens doing it yet it looks like we're doing it now.
The difference is they did it for like a decade

Old
03-10-2013, 10:42 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I was just joking. I don't think we're seriously tanking, there's too much talent to tank.

As for the Pens they legitimately tanked for Lemieux back in the day. For Crosby the team just sucked.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:46 AM
skillhockey

It looks like flyers don't have the fire they used to have. They had great comebacks etc. For me it looks like Laviolette is no longer in control of his team, they need a change.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
FLYERSFAN18

It is rediculous that the only things lavy tries to do to adjust is juggle the lines and pull the goalie. I don't know how an NHL head coach doesn't have any other answers

Old
03-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Quote:
I don't understand. How are we tanking? We are a legitimately bad team who has not started its starting goaltender in only 2 games this season and are still one of the worst teams in the league. It's not like we're trotting out some AHL scrubs while we let our super stars sit on the bench in order to lose. We're a bad team so we're going to lose games.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I don't understand. How are we tanking? We are a legitimately bad team who has not started its starting goaltender in only 2 games this season and are still one of the worst teams in the league. It's not like we're trotting out some AHL scrubs while we let our super stars sit on the bench in order to lose. We're a bad team so we're going to lose games.
Agreed I was just kidding. Look at my response to him.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:47 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I agree but Leighton is an AHL scrub. so hopefully he only starts today's game and nothing more otherwise it may appear to some as if the team is actually tanking.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Jtown

Lavy's system is one in which you need a specific group of players both on d and on offense to execute.

His system is one in which forwards and d men take many chances in order to have an advantage on offense.

Because of this I think we have a roster of forwards with inflated numbers. If we switch to a more defensive minded system those numbers will drop off significantly. If we continue to switch identitiies like that we will never have a roster that compliments the style we want to play.

The style you want to win with comes from the organization, and the GM. If we keep changing GM's then again we are constantly trying to reinvent ourselves. Professional sports is so reactionary , and building a winner takes time. You need an owner and a gm that are committed to an identity and will not react to the ups and downs that seasons can bring. Sometimes players have bad years, sometimes there are injuries all these things can stunt growth but dont necessarily mean the system is not working.

Im a believer that in todays nhl Lavy's system will not thrive. However our roster is designed with this system in mind. SO that is the connundrum. A change in philosphies will mean a change in roster. Right now we have a very talented roster a change in philophies could deplete that talent.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:56 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Lavy's system is one in which you need a specific group of players both on d and on offense to execute.

His system is one in which forwards and d men take many chances in order to have an advantage on offense.

Because of this I think we have a roster of forwards with inflated numbers. If we switch to a more defensive minded system those numbers will drop off significantly. If we continue to switch identitiies like that we will never have a roster that compliments the style we want to play.

The style you want to win with comes from the organization, and the GM. If we keep changing GM's then again we are constantly trying to reinvent ourselves. Professional sports is so reactionary , and building a winner takes time. You need an owner and a gm that are committed to an identity and will not react to the ups and downs that seasons can bring. Sometimes players have bad years, sometimes there are injuries all these things can stunt growth but dont necessarily mean the system is not working.

Im a believer that in todays nhl Lavy's system will not thrive. However our roster is designed with this system in mind. SO that is the connundrum. A change in philosphies will mean a change in roster. Right now we have a very talented roster a change in philophies could deplete that talent.
I think this season is lost cause at this point. If Lavi goes I would want to bring in a guy with a more balanced system. I don't want to bring in a trap like NJ but I want to see some balance between offense and defense.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:49 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Because we're starting Leighton? Really? First you're upset because the Flyers organization re-signs him and thinks he's a capable goalie. Then when they actually start him you think the Flyers organization suddenly thinks he's an incapable goalie and is only in net for us to tank? You can't have it both ways!

With you people, you'll never let reality get in the way of a good narrative

Old
03-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Because we're starting Leighton? Really? First you're upset because the Flyers organization re-signs him and thinks he's a capable goalie. Then when they actually start him you think the Flyers organization suddenly thinks he's an incapable goalie and is only in net for us to tank? You can't have it both ways!
Yeah, I think starting Leighton is kind of a given in this back-to-back, and I don't think it signals tanking at all. Plus, everyone's overreacting, if he does indeed start today, I'm sure it's not going to be that bad.

Closed Thread