HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills - Off-Season 2013 (Draft day draft day gotta get down on draft day)

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 02:56 PM
dma0034

vCash: 500
Oh and in other news: Terrell Owens is now a male model. T. Owlander?

Last edited by dma0034: 03-09-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old
03-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
McKelvin has the physical tools to be an elite CB.
Except a brain.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 50
Am I fever dreaming Aaron Williams at safety for part of last year? If not, was he decent?

Old
03-09-2013, 04:48 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Except a brain.
That's not really a physical tool but he lacks that, certainly. And if ever I see a receiver wide open down field with the nickel or dime D out, I need not verify - I just know - that it was Leodis who got toasted

Old
03-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Am I fever dreaming Aaron Williams at safety for part of last year? If not, was he decent?
No, he never played safety last year. People are speculating that they could try him there next year because he has struggled so much at corner. He just can't turn his hips and run and he never seems to find the ball in air. Yet he does have good size and can support in run coverage. I think he played safety in high school.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Add G to a need for the Bills after Tuesday most likely. Reports are out that the Titans and Bears have already contacted Andy Levitre. It seems as the Titans are going hard after him and that he's their primary target right now.

Hate the thought of losing him. Another instance of the Bills letting talent walk away because they refuse to pay them. It's been very quiet as far as reports of the Bills talking to him and making him offers so I'm not optimistic we'll get him re-signed. We took care of McKelvin but all's quiet with Levitre. I think it's a matter of a few days that he's gone. It's too bad.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Takeo

I don't think they can afford to pay Levitre what he'll earn on the open market. They're up against the cap if they do and at the expense of an interior lineman. He's good, more importantly durable and consistent, but it's still not worth it. I don't like the McKelvin deal, but a corner/returner is more valuable IMO.

I'm about set on Lane Johnson at #8. He has great length, a perfect kick slide, and the fastest 10-yard split at the combine. Johnson (LT) - Wood (C) - Glenn (RT) and whoever the hell cares at OG!!

Old
03-09-2013, 07:58 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Still hoping for Milliner...but I'm not gonna hold my breath that he'll last that long.

Bills might be in a decent position to trade down actually.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Bills interested in Levitre:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...edium=facebook

Yet no contract offer...what gives?

Old
03-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
I don't think they can afford to pay Levitre what he'll earn on the open market. They're up against the cap if they do and at the expense of an interior lineman. He's good, more importantly durable and consistent, but it's still not worth it. I don't like the McKelvin deal, but a corner/returner is more valuable IMO.

I'm about set on Lane Johnson at #8. He has great length, a perfect kick slide, and the fastest 10-yard split at the combine. Johnson (LT) - Wood (C) - Glenn (RT) and whoever the hell cares at OG!!
I'd actually be very disappointed with that pick. Glenn proved he can play LT effectively from day one. The Bills' strength last season was not only the running game but the offensive line and to ruin and shuffle that around and to select an offensive lineman (not to mention the third best LT prospect) at No. 8 would be going backwards IMO. Levitre is a guy I think the Bills should have been adamant about keeping and should have gotten locked up weeks ago. He doesn't want to leave, he prefers to stay and instead the Bills turned their focus on guys like McKelvin. Then there's been complete silence about any possible Fitzpatrick restructuring or release. Unless there's another part of the plan that we don't know about yet, this seems like a disappointing start already.

If we're picking at No. 8, I expect to address a glaring need, not a strength. I understand paying a G richly may not be the right way to go but we should have been doing everything possible to ensure we don't let our talent get away, especially something and someone that was working very well and was a huge part of the little success this team has had recently. Seems like a move to dig us deeper and a very Bills-esque decision if Levitre is let go, which is why I'm frustrated. It's happened for years and seems that it'll continue happening. Come Tuesday the Bills will be down a good LG and another team will be pretty happy. Then the Bills need to address the same position and waste a draft pick just like we did four years ago in the same situation.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

By Tuesday some team will have sunk 8 mil in cap into a guard. A guard. Good luck AL enjoy that money. Now why the hell did they let themselves get in a position that Leodis was able to get 5 a year?

Old
03-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Takeo

What does it matter if Johnson is the third best OT prospect? The three left tackles are arguably three of the best five prospects in this draft. And I keep reading that Levitre wants to stay in Buffalo. Let's be real. What he wants is to test the market and then yeah, maybe he wants the Bills to match the best offer. This is about money, not sentimentality.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:35 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Eichel welcome 2 BUF

No OL in the first 3 rounds. Even without Levitre we still have a top 10-15 OL.We need to address our pathetic LB core which is by far the worst in the whole league.

No matter what our first 3 picks needs to include a QB, Lb and WR.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
What does it matter if Johnson is the third best OT prospect? The three left tackles are arguably three of the best five prospects in this draft. And I keep reading that Levitre wants to stay in Buffalo. Let's be real. What he wants is to test the market and then yeah, maybe he wants the Bills to match the best offer. This is about money, not sentimentality.
Where did you read that? I havent seen anything about him wanting to stay but everyone usually says they want to.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:07 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Also we have Colin Brown, who had passed Rinehart on the depth chart last season before he had a season-ending injury. They might feel that he can step in for Levitre.

Obviously if they could keep McKelvin for cheaper that would have been better, but they needed to keep him. They need depth at CB, and he's shown that he can be serviceable at times. Not a starter perhaps, but definitely a guy who can come in if someone gets injured.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:17 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
No OL in the first 3 rounds. Even without Levitre we still have a top 10-15 OL.We need to address our pathetic LB core which is by far the worst in the whole league.

No matter what our first 3 picks needs to include a QB, Lb and WR.
Not really... Bills need a TE and CB too and the 2nd or 3rd round could be a good spot to get one.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Why waste such a high pick on a lineman, even moreso if we're not getting the best (or second best) one when we have disgustingly huge needs at at least three other positions? As a previous poster said, I will be very disappointed if QB, WR, and LB are not addressed in the first three rounds. Barring some good free agent signings, this team is embarrassing in all three areas. Stevie and Graham are the only WRs we have and we have Scott, Sheppard, and Bradham at LB. Even worse than when Barnett was here and it was bad then too. The Bills need to get at least two quality LBs in this draft or free agency and with Jones and Nelson let to walk, WR is just as thin. And of course, we'll be nabbing a QB early. Add CB into that and we have four areas of huge concern that need to be thought of way before the offensive line. But of course, the Bills always usually ignore other areas of need and continue to change areas of strength. Part of the reason why this team is in the hole it's been in for 15 years.

Heck, maybe the Bills should take another RB at No. 8 even though we have two good ones on the roster already and fail to address our big needs yet again. It certainly wouldn't be the first time. Really frustrating that we're going to change things that aren't broken and continue to make moves to set us back.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:26 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Why waste such a high pick on a lineman, even moreso if we're not getting the best (or second best) one when we have disgustingly huge needs at at least three other positions? As a previous poster said, I will be very disappointed if QB, WR, and LB are not addressed in the first three rounds. Barring some good free agent signings, this team is embarrassing in all three areas. Stevie and Graham are the only WRs we have and we have Scott, Sheppard, and Bradham at LB. Even worse than when Barnett was here and it was bad then too. The Bills need to get at least two quality LBs in this draft or free agency and with Jones and Nelson let to walk, WR is just as thin. And of course, we'll be nabbing a QB early. Add CB into that and we have four areas of huge concern that need to be thought of way before the offensive line. But of course, the Bills always usually ignore other areas of need and continue to change areas of strength. Part of the reason why this team is in the hole it's been in for 15 years.

Heck, maybe the Bills should take another RB at No. 8 even though we have two good ones on the roster already and fail to address our big needs yet again. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.
If the Bills pick up a QB early this whole draft will be ruined. Every QB is a project QB in this draft. There isn't a Andrew Luck or RG3.... there isn't even a guy like Russell Wilson whose size was his biggest detractor. Holding off until next year would help the Bills far more than picking the best available in the first 2 rounds this year. Unless Fitzpatrick gets cut don't expect a QB in the first round.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:02 PM
SoFFacet

If L. Johnson is available with our pick thats our opportunity to trade down. There are several teams that need LT more than us, and its easy to deduce that San Diego is picking LT if one of the top-3 falls to them at 11. For example, BUF 1st = TB 1st, 3rd, 5th.

TB1. WR Patterson Tennessee
BF2. OLB Okafor Texas
BF3. QB Wilson Arkansas
TB3. CB Slay Mississippi State
BF4. TE McDonald Rice
BF5. OG Bailey Arkansas
TB5. WR Stills Oklahoma
BF6. CB Robey USC

One can dream. :/

Old
03-10-2013, 03:05 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Eichel welcome 2 BUF

Quote:
If the Bills pick up a QB early this whole draft will be ruined. Every QB is a project QB in this draft. There isn't a Andrew Luck or RG3.... there isn't even a guy like Russell Wilson whose size was his biggest detractor. Holding off until next year would help the Bills far more than picking the best available in the first 2 rounds this year. Unless Fitzpatrick gets cut don't expect a QB in the first round.
Ahh yes there isn't even a "Russell Wilson" who which is so funny every expert on football all knew he was going to be good.

No one knows how these QBs turn out. But I'd bet a lot of money there are atleast 2 QBs who will become good QBs in this league. In every draft there is atleast 1 good QB.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Nix has already said he's going to draft a QB early so it's not like I'm speculating. It's fact at this point whether fans like it or not. He wants to add a rookie to compete with Fitzpatrick and Jackson for the starting job. If we manage to get Geno Smith, there will be no competition in my mind. Other options are Wilson, Barkley, or Glennon, maybe even Manuel, in which case the winner earns the starting job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
If L. Johnson is available with our pick thats our opportunity to trade down. There are several teams that need LT more than us, and its easy to deduce that San Diego is picking LT if one of the top-3 falls to them at 11. For example, BUF 1st = TB 1st, 3rd, 5th.

TB1. WR Patterson Tennessee
BF2. OLB Okafor Texas
BF3. QB Wilson Arkansas
TB3. CB Slay Mississippi State
BF4. TE McDonald Rice
BF5. OG Bailey Arkansas
TB5. WR Stills Oklahoma
BF6. CB Robey USC

One can dream. :/
I agree, if the Bills are unable to land one of Smith, Milliner, or Jordan (maybe Patterson but No. 8 seems a bit high for him), I think the best move would be to trade down to gain a few extra picks. San Diego and Chicago come to mind if Johnson is the target.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:28 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Nix has already said he's going to draft a QB early so it's not like I'm speculating. It's fact at this point whether fans like it or not. He wants to add a rookie to compete with Fitzpatrick and Jackson for the starting job. If we manage to get Geno Smith, there will be no competition in my mind. Other options are Wilson, Barkley, or Glennon, maybe even Manuel, in which case the winner earns the starting job.
Nix has never said he is going to draft a QB in this draft. He has said he would like to have acquired a franchise QB before he left and that he would trade up for one if need be....

Old
03-10-2013, 05:39 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Ahh yes there isn't even a "Russell Wilson" who which is so funny every expert on football all knew he was going to be good.

No one knows how these QBs turn out. But I'd bet a lot of money there are atleast 2 QBs who will become good QBs in this league. In every draft there is atleast 1 good QB.
Just so you understand what I was saying: Every QB in this draft lacks either physical tools or the mentality that other drafts have had. Russell Wilson (like Drew Brees) fell in the draft because he is shorter than 6 foot. Wilson had the accuracy, strength, and play-calling of a 1st rounder but teams didn't think he'd be able to see over the OL-DL. This draft doesn't have a player who has all three. Smith has the accuracy and strength but can;t check off defenders or read coverages properly. Matt Barkley doesn't have the arm strength... I can go on and on but the point is that any QB (outside of Barkley who will be a better Chad Pennington) will need to be worked on and there is a high probably of bust.

Also your second point doesn't make sense. If no one knows how the QBs are going to turn out than why not wait and pick one in 6-7 round? I mean no one knows how they'll turn out right? Tom Brady?

And yes it is becoming easier and easier to predict how a QB will do on the next level.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
Just so you understand what I was saying: Every QB in this draft lacks either physical tools or the mentality that other drafts have had. Russell Wilson (like Drew Brees) fell in the draft because he is shorter than 6 foot. Wilson had the accuracy, strength, and play-calling of a 1st rounder but teams didn't think he'd be able to see over the OL-DL. This draft doesn't have a player who has all three. Smith has the accuracy and strength but can;t check off defenders or read coverages properly. Matt Barkley doesn't have the arm strength... I can go on and on but the point is that any QB (outside of Barkley who will be a better Chad Pennington) will need to be worked on and there is a high probably of bust.

Also your second point doesn't make sense. If no one knows how the QBs are going to turn out than why not wait and pick one in 6-7 round? I mean no one knows how they'll turn out right? Tom Brady?

And yes it is becoming easier and easier to predict how a QB will do on the next level.
Every year "experts" predict players and every year they get it wrong repeatedly. So unless you yourself have watched every college game from every single player in the draft, you have NFL level comprehenssion of every system in place or being considered, and years of experience identifying NFL level talent, your review of these players is almost worthless and therefor your analysis of how the draft will end up is also worthless. You cant even hide behind honest speculation because those are statements that you believe are unequivocally correct, proven by your dogged defense of them despite reasonable contradictory statements. Your second 2 paragraphs are obviously hurried attempts at belittling LS and not worth my time to even give a second look.

The draft is an inexact science based on percentages. The more visible talent the higher the percentage. 2 facts; there are 0 100% prospects and every year a player will beat his percentage (either positively or negatively). You draft on potential regardless of how long development will take. Every player coming out in the draft has the potential to be a good NFLer, the deciding factor has much more to do with drive, work ethic, and a favorable situation then it does with talent, especially outside the top 2-5 picks.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:37 PM
buffalowing88

Perhaps I'm crazy but is it now safe to say the Bills have it together more than the Sabres at this point? I don't think that's been the case since 04. I'm genuinely excited about this team next year looking at the roster tonight and the coaching staff. We've got 6 legitimate blue chip guys in Spiller, Dareus, Mario, Gilmore, Kyle Williams and Byrd as well as talent at every position besides LB. I know the QB issue is still a question mark but if we re-sign Levitre, which I saw actually may now happen and we get a decent receiver and MLB then the team is contending for a playoff spot. The Sabres have no identity and some real head cases...at least the Bills have good players at some important positions.

Closed Thread