HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Drew Shore's offensive upside and ideal role

Old
03-10-2013, 11:34 AM
SeasonTicket

vCash: 500
He has 1 assist in his last 5 games.

He has 2 goals on 65 shots with a 3.1 shooting percentage.

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:12 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonTicket View Post
He has 1 assist in his last 5 games.

He has 2 goals on 65 shots with a 3.1 shooting percentage.
His shooting percentage will go up. 1 assist in his last 5 games means nothing.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:19 PM
hockey dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
He earned the right because he has the skills. Matthias has some work ethic and a little skill. If anyone is second guessing why Shore is where he is right now, then you haven't watched him play.
Excuse me: are we watching the same players the same season. Huberdeau is a special talent, if he remains on the wing for his entire career the centermen who play with him will always have inflated numbers and likely show above their talent level.

As far as Matthias having little skill I suspect you may be of the same school that figures Bjudstad is going to come into the NHL next year out of University hockey and set the NHL on fire. It's a pretty tough league and big centerman need some time to get it rolling usually. Believe Matthais is beginning to show his capabilities more and more each game. As someone else mentioned, he has weathered the Deboer years and is now beginning to show his scoring prowess even though he is still playing with guys with no hands. Just saying, the kid I believe has been underestimated by many on this forum.

hockey dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dude View Post
Excuse me: are we watching the same players the same season. Huberdeau is a special talent, if he remains on the wing for his entire career the centermen who play with him will always have inflated numbers and likely show above their talent level.

As far as Matthias having little skill I suspect you may be of the same school that figures Bjudstad is going to come into the NHL next year out of University hockey and set the NHL on fire. It's a pretty tough league and big centerman need some time to get it rolling usually. Believe Matthais is beginning to show his capabilities more and more each game. As someone else mentioned, he has weathered the Deboer years and is now beginning to show his scoring prowess even though he is still playing with guys with no hands. Just saying, the kid I believe has been underestimated by many on this forum.
I kind of agree, but Matthias has also been given chances over the years to play a top 6 role, and didn't impress enough to warrant being kept there. Maybe he's just a late bloomer, but it's not like he was never given a chance at all. He just didn't run with it in the chances he was given. Shore hit a home run in his first chance, and while yes playing with Huby will make anyone look better, Shore is succeeding on his own merit as well.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:34 PM
SeasonTicket

Let's put Shore on a line with Skille and Parros for 20 games and count his stats.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:37 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Let's put Shore on a line with Skille and Parros for 20 games and count his stats.
I'm wondering if you have watched him play this year.

He's been our best player for a portion of games, did very well in the AHL this year (AHL All Star), and has much more skill than to play on the fourth line. What's your point? That if he played with lesser skilled players he'd put up less points? Um, yeah, everyone in the NHL would.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:38 PM
SeasonTicket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I kind of agree, but Matthias has also been given chances over the years to play a top 6 role, and didn't impress enough to warrant being kept there. Maybe he's just a late bloomer, but it's not like he was never given a chance at all. He just didn't run with it in the chances he was given. Shore hit a home run in his first chance, and while yes playing with Huby will make anyone look better, Shore is succeeding on his own merit as well.
Last season had a great run points wise when Goc was injured. He moved up and played with Bergy and Samualson. Once Goc came back Matthias was moved back to the fourth.

I think his problem with the Panthers is there has never been an openning for him rather than being inconsistant.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:40 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Last season had a great run points wise when Goc was injured. He moved up and played with Bergy and Samualson. Once Goc came back Matthias was moved back to the fourth.

I think his problem with the Panthers is there has never been an openning for him rather than being inconsistant.
He's inconsistent and he doesn't have the offensive skill for a top 6 role. This is his fourth full season on this team so he's had plenty of time to earn or show he's worthy of more ice time.

He's a bottom 6 player. Nothing wrong with that. We need quality bottom 6 guys.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:45 PM
SeasonTicket

[QUOTE=RainingRats;61372879]I'm wondering if you have watched him play this year.

He's been our best player for a portion of games, did very well in the AHL this year (AHL All Star), and has much more skill than to play on the fourth line. What's your point? That if he played with lesser skilled players he'd put up less points? Um, yeah, everyone in the NHL would.[/QUOTE]

Yes I have watched him play with extremely good talent on his wings.

And yes I think you answered the point I am trying to make about Matthias.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:51 PM
RainingRats

[QUOTE=SeasonTicket;61373461]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I'm wondering if you have watched him play this year.

He's been our best player for a portion of games, did very well in the AHL this year (AHL All Star), and has much more skill than to play on the fourth line. What's your point? That if he played with lesser skilled players he'd put up less points? Um, yeah, everyone in the NHL would.[/QUOTE]

Yes I have watched him play with extremely good talent on his wings.

And yes I think you answered the point I am trying to make about Matthias.
He's a integral part of that line's success. There's no way he's a product of Mueller and Hubs if that's what you're trying to suggest. He's gotten rave reviews from everyone on this board plus everyone else who comments on Panther's hockey.

Matthias is that lesser skilled guy though. He's not going to be a top 6 player. This is his fourth season and his career high is 24 points in 79 games. Shore has 11 points in 23 games in his first season!

Old
03-10-2013, 02:03 PM
SeasonTicket

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
He's inconsistent and he doesn't have the offensive skill for a top 6 role. This is his fourth full season on this team so he's had plenty of time to earn or show he's worthy of more ice time.

He's a bottom 6 player. Nothing wrong with that. We need quality bottom 6 guys.
I didn't say top 6 player. I think Matthias is a very good 3rd line player.

Problem with our team is that we have 3 very good 3rd line centers on the team right now and no top 6 centers with Weiss out.

Goc is a very good 3rd line center but is currently being asked to do too much as a top six guy. He's a -7 in his last 5 games with just 2 assist.

If you look at Goc's career stats he has 143 points in 465 career games. That's 30%. and he's a minus 16.

Matthias career stats are 68 points in 230 games. That's 30% and he's a minus 8.

In his last 5 games when given a bigger role he has 3 goals, 1 assist and a plus 3. And he's playing with Skille and an AHL player on his wings not Huby/Mueller or Flash/Stegger

Again, not saying he's a top 6 guy. Solid 3rd line guy. But I think it's a waste to play him on the 4th.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:36 PM
hockey dude

Quote:
I didn't say top 6 player. I think Matthias is a very good 3rd line player.

Problem with our team is that we have 3 very good 3rd line centers on the team right now and no top 6 centers with Weiss out.

Goc is a very good 3rd line center but is currently being asked to do too much as a top six guy. He's a -7 in his last 5 games with just 2 assist.

If you look at Goc's career stats he has 143 points in 465 career games. That's 30%. and he's a minus 16.

Matthias career stats are 68 points in 230 games. That's 30% and he's a minus 8.

In his last 5 games when given a bigger role he has 3 goals, 1 assist and a plus 3. And he's playing with Skille and an AHL player on his wings not Huby/Mueller or Flash/Stegger

Again, not saying he's a top 6 guy. Solid 3rd line guy. But I think it's a waste to play him on the 4th.
Matthias is only plus player on team. Plays wing or center and moves easily in or out of. With Weiss out will be asked to step it up. I for one am betting he can and will.

hockey dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:18 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
i don't think shore's success is a simple function of playing with hubs and mules but you have to admin, it hasn't hurt. he's been a part of the dynamic but these are also two skilled guys and... well, we've never seen a young offensive talent like huberdeau. matthias, on the other hand, may have been given a shot at the top 6 but never quite an opportunity like this.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i don't think shore's success is a simple function of playing with hubs and mules but you have to admin, it hasn't hurt. he's been a part of the dynamic but these are also two skilled guys and... well, we've never seen a young offensive talent like huberdeau. matthias, on the other hand, may have been given a shot at the top 6 but never quite an opportunity like this.
No I agree, and I agree with others that he's better than a 4th liner, but you also have to admit that Matthias didn't seize all of his opportunities. It's not a big deal, if he continues to play like this, he will move up in the lines.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Acadmus

Adam Oates rookie statistics: 198586 Detroit Red Wings 38gp 9g 11a 20pts 10PIM

Sure, he topped 20 goals all of 5 times in his 19 seasons in the NHL, but he was considered a 1st line center for much of his career based on his playmaking.

Stop expecting our rookies to put up 50 point seasons. He's already doing better than I'd have expected, and who knows what his real offensive upside is?

03-11-2013, 11:28 AM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Adam Oates rookie statistics: 1985–86 Detroit Red Wings 38gp 9g 11a 20pts 10PIM

Sure, he topped 20 goals all of 5 times in his 19 seasons in the NHL, but he was considered a 1st line center for much of his career based on his playmaking.

Stop expecting our rookies to put up 50 point seasons. He's already doing better than I'd have expected, and who knows what his real offensive upside is?
wow, surprisingly logical, yet rare post!

I believe Shore will really start to show what he can give to the Cats next year. Usually rookies tend to show flashes of what they can bring in the initial period, but they "break out" so to speak the next season or so. After playing some games he is tasting and preparing for next season, glad to have him on board he looked pretty solid.

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:14 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Adam Oates rookie statistics: 198586 Detroit Red Wings 38gp 9g 11a 20pts 10PIM

Exactly. So he doesnt have the skill that Huberdeau has as a fellow rookie, so what? There arent many rookies across the whole league that have that type of skillset. I dont see any reason why he cant improve his game, and have that line produce for seasons. We then bring up Bjugstad and have him center another line, and if we can get one of our other prospects to gel with him, we now have two solid scoring lines. Having Bjugstad, Shore, and Trochek down the middle in the near future isnt the worst thing that could happen.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Exactly. So he doesnt have the skill that Huberdeau has as a fellow rookie, so what? There arent many rookies across the whole league that have that type of skillset. I dont see any reason why he cant improve his game, and have that line produce for seasons. We then bring up Bjugstad and have him center another line, and if we can get one of our other prospects to gel with him, we now have two solid scoring lines. Having Bjugstad, Shore, and Trochek down the middle in the near future isnt the worst thing that could happen.
Did you just agree with me? Is the world ending tomorrow? I didn't get the memo

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
DrMom9900

We've seen what Matthias can do over the years. He's a big body that doesnt necessarily protect the puck well and who has average vision for a center. He doesnt have the ability to extend plays. While he has certainly been cashing in on his opportunities lately, and hopefully continues to do so, we've seen what matthias brings to top lines and it isn't good enough to warrant him staying in the top 6.

DrMom9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:23 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Did you just agree with me? Is the world ending tomorrow? I didn't get the memo
I thought my world was ending, but in the end, it was just some indigestion I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMom9900 View Post
We've seen what Matthias can do over the years. He's a big body that doesnt necessarily protect the puck well and who has average vision for a center. He doesnt have the ability to extend plays. While he has certainly been cashing in on his opportunities lately, and hopefully continues to do so, we've seen what matthias brings to top lines and it isn't good enough to warrant him staying in the top 6.
I dont think many think of him more than a 3rd line center, me included.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:30 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Possibly add Mackinnon, Barkov, or Drouin to that list...

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:53 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
I thought my world was ending, but in the end, it was just some indigestion I have

I dont think many think of him more than a 3rd line center, me included.
nevermind

Old
03-11-2013, 02:12 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMom9900 View Post
Probably, but still young enough not to give up, especially wit this little streak he has going.

adam graves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:43 PM
coopdaloop123
HFB Partner

He will eventually be the 2nd or 3rd line center I'd assume. Depends on how Bjugstad does and if Trocheck ends up being anything.

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:31 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
Possibly add Mackinnon, Barkov, or Drouin to that list...
If we were to get Mac or Drouin, Id pair them with Bjugstad. All of a sudden, we have the makings of two first lines:

Mac/Drouin - Bjugstad - ______
Mueller - Shore - Huberdeau

For years, we've had one 2nd line, two 3rd lines, and a 4th line, now with the chance of getting a top pick in this summers draft, we really could be a nightmare for teams down the road. Does Shore belong in that top six, some might think not, but that remains to be seen, but his two-way game is going to allow a lot of offensive chances for Huberdeau and Mueller. Shore wont put up monster numbers, unless his linemates go lamb, but no way would I say that he isnt 2nd line center material, yet.