The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 01:59 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Granlund is not my favorite player, he's not ready for the NHL.

Look, I haven't seen anything out of Yeo as a coach that makes me feel he's doing the Wild any favors. He has improved the team's defense, which is good. But the offense is still stagnant and the power play is much worse under his tenure. I keep hearing about players needing to buy in to his forecheck but it doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Wild have an extremely tough schedule coming up. We'll see where they are on the other side of it.
I'm just not sure that a lot of the problems are Yeo's fault. A coach can only do so much. They are not out there on the ice. It's up to the players to get results. In the end hockey is hockey. No matter what systems or what not. Good players succeed. I guess I'm just not a guy that puts a lot of the blame on the coach. They are a factor, but I really think win or lose it's on the players.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
I'm just not sure that a lot of the problems are Yeo's fault. A coach can only do so much. They are not out there on the ice. It's up to the players to get results. In the end hockey is hockey. No matter what systems or what not. Good players succeed. I guess I'm just not a guy that puts a lot of the blame on the coach. They are a factor, but I really think win or lose it's on the players.
So if you take a group of players that are falling below what they have established as their norms on other teams you don't think that the coach who now has all the players who collectively are now below their norms bears responsibility?

I do agree that there are situations where you can point at the players (see Capitals and Ovi) but i don't see that on this team, this is a pretty high character team with players that have well earned reputations yet so much of what they do appears confused or just plain flat.

Ryn loves to point out that this team could very well be in first place in the NW at the end of the night, he is right but one could take your "it's on the players" argument and say that is the reason why they are in the race despite what Yeo has done or not done.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Sportserie

I think if the Wild make the playoffs, Yeo stays. If they don't, Yeo goes. This is a playoff team, or should be anyway even if we have some holes. Maybe Yeo gets one more full season but I do know if we make the playoffs, he's secure for another season.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post
I think if the Wild make the playoffs, Yeo stays. If they don't, Yeo goes. This is a playoff team, or should be anyway even if we have some holes. Maybe Yeo gets one more full season but I do know if we make the playoffs, he's secure for another season.
Maybe. I think some of that will depend on who is available. What if this team does get in playing the way they are playing now? They sneak into that 8th spot by a point or two?

I don't think that is exactly job security for Yeo knowing that there are going to be some established coaches available.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:53 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
I think we take enough shots we just miss the net so many times. For every shot we take we usually miss at least that many which is not acceptable. Obviously, we can get better, but I think it just starts with hitting the net,

Stop complaining about Yeo goes. He has us 2 points out of 3rd in the conference. Your grasping at straws because he isn't giving your favorite player the ice team you think he deserves...whoever that may be.

He's going to finish out the year as coach. ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. And he will probably stay through next year no matter what as well. At the very least...if he's so terrible he will be fired midway through next year.

Suck it up. Stop complaining about the coach. He's not going anywhere and through everything he's not doing that bad of a job.
We might be 2 points out of division lead, but this team does not look good. Also, we are in one of the weakest divisions, so this in itself does not even say that much, especailly with the roster we have. Believe it or not, we have talent on that roster, and imo, it is not being used as well as it could be which is why I have tired on Yeo. Most of the points that have been made about him are quite valid, and in no way "grasping at straws."

Our PP looks like ****, and is showing no signs of improving, or even really changing. It's a swapping around of parts, nut doing the same thing.

We're not scoring more at all than we have been, even with an improved roster. Our defense is better, which is great, seriously, but the o needs to improve as well. By his line boggle bs, he's showing he does not know how to work with specific talents, at all, and that is what we have. We are not the Ducks, who are all fast, big, and aggressive. Our team needs to be organized and coached little more creatively and that is not happening. Why is Coyle still on the top line? He has done nothing up there, and since he has been up there, neither have Parise or Koivu. This has been going on for many games now. Yet He'll try other combo's out for half a game, that don't look too bad, or look like they have some good potential for development, then forget it the next game.

We are still horribly inconsistent. Which is the players execution, but starts with the coaches. Both are to blame, but on the player end, shows some disconect between them and the coaching staff. Lemaire got the most of his guys almost every night. Tippett, Bylsma, Quenneville,Trotz... gets the most of their guys almost every night. This starts with the coaching staff, and is one of their jobs: to inspire.

Yeo gets outcoached almost every game. TP mentioned a couple things earlier that depict this. In the Chicago game, the lack of a timeout when desperately needed, or a goaltending change. We frequently get bad line combos against other teams, even with last change - all of this is on Yeo, even when we win a game.

Just because we're two points from division lead means nothing. There's too much evidenceof things not working well. Even if we make the playoffs this year, we're going to get our ***** handed to us the way we're playing. It's too inconsistent and unorganized. We go up a better organized team, and the energy level goes up like it does, forget it.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:57 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Winning teams are just a combination of good players that are thrown together and are then expected to succeed. This is a team sport, not baseball. They need to work together as a team, and that is the coaches job. He does get paid for a reason.

You ever wonder how some of these coaches out there get so much more out of way weaker rosters? They're good coaches, and they show the players how to do certain things to succeed, as a team.

According to your logic, the Oilers should be killing the league. Well, there ya go. It takes a good coach to make a good team, not just a bunch of good players. Good players will get you so far, but it needs to be combined with good coaching.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:42 PM
TwInS1095

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
We might be 2 points out of division lead, but this team does not look good. Also, we are in one of the weakest divisions, so this in itself does not even say that much, especailly with the roster we have. Believe it or not, we have talent on that roster, and imo, it is not being used as well as it could be which is why I have tired on Yeo. Most of the points that have been made about him are quite valid, and in no way "grasping at straws."

Our PP looks like ****, and is showing no signs of improving, or even really changing. It's a swapping around of parts, nut doing the same thing.

We're not scoring more at all than we have been, even with an improved roster. Our defense is better, which is great, seriously, but the o needs to improve as well. By his line boggle bs, he's showing he does not know how to work with specific talents, at all, and that is what we have. We are not the Ducks, who are all fast, big, and aggressive. Our team needs to be organized and coached little more creatively and that is not happening. Why is Coyle still on the top line? He has done nothing up there, and since he has been up there, neither have Parise or Koivu. This has been going on for many games now. Yet He'll try other combo's out for half a game, that don't look too bad, or look like they have some good potential for development, then forget it the next game.

We are still horribly inconsistent. Which is the players execution, but starts with the coaches. Both are to blame, but on the player end, shows some disconect between them and the coaching staff. Lemaire got the most of his guys almost every night. Tippett, Bylsma, Quenneville,Trotz... gets the most of their guys almost every night. This starts with the coaching staff, and is one of their jobs: to inspire.

Yeo gets outcoached almost every game. TP mentioned a couple things earlier that depict this. In the Chicago game, the lack of a timeout when desperately needed, or a goaltending change. We frequently get bad line combos against other teams, even with last change - all of this is on Yeo, even when we win a game.

Just because we're two points from division lead means nothing. There's too much evidenceof things not working well. Even if we make the playoffs this year, we're going to get our ***** handed to us the way we're playing. It's too inconsistent and unorganized. We go up a better organized team, and the energy level goes up like it does, forget it.

1) Not true. PP goals in 6 of last 7 games.

2)Based on what....? Sure, he's not perfect, but what coach is?

3) 1st place baby!!! He's doing something right!

4) What did you expect this year? The cup?

Old
03-10-2013, 10:45 PM
TwInS1095

Plus, if we win our next game too...we'll have the 3rd highest Points per game in the conference behind the historic Blackhawks and the Ducks who are also playing pretty well.

I'm not sure you can complain too much. Unless you were expecting Yeo to coach us to a Blackhawk like start.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Screw that, fire Pitbull!

Old
03-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Please just send Granlund to Houston now. It's not that he's not effective or anything, it's just that Cullen is playing so good now and with Clutter back, there's just really no room for him. I'd really like to see Bouchard traded now because I don't think we need him and he's just not the same.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:14 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
1) Not true. PP goals in 6 of last 7 games.

2)Based on what....? Sure, he's not perfect, but what coach is?

3) 1st place baby!!! He's doing something right!

4) What did you expect this year? The cup?
Not at all. 2-3 years I will expect us to potentially compete for the Cup.

I just want to see improvement.

Tonight was pretty good. Our puck management skills were better at times, still bad at others, but they did look a little better.

I don't even care if we win, just that we show improvement. We shall see if they continue to show improvement.

If I'm wrong about Yeo, great, I'ld rather be wrong.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I will say they looked a lot better in the D zone, collapsing less, spread out more, and that immensely helped the breakout which helped the puck possession all around. And I didn't see anything overtly stupid like starting the fourth line in the offensive zone.

Note that after the Wild score, Yeo loves to throw that fourth line out. After the Canucks score, it's the Sedin line. Best players.

I've seen way too many stupid games to be convinced off of one win that Yeo's the guy, but like I said, there's a stretch of games from next week through the first week of April that are all tough.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:26 AM
kfan22

Quote:
I will say they looked a lot better in the D zone, collapsing less, spread out more, and that immensely helped the breakout which helped the puck possession all around. And I didn't see anything overtly stupid like starting the fourth line in the offensive zone.

Note that after the Wild score, Yeo loves to throw that fourth line out. After the Canucks score, it's the Sedin line. Best players.

I've seen way too many stupid games to be convinced off of one win that Yeo's the guy, but like I said, there's a stretch of games from next week through the first week of April that are all tough.

I wasnt expecting 4 points this weekend! To be honest with our track record in Nashville and the fact Vancouver was sitting here since Friday I was worried we wouldnt get any points this weekend! Its great we are in 1st place as of this morning but we are also only 2 points from being out of the playoffs If we can survive the next 16 game stretch and still be in the hunt for the Division lead I like our chances with our schedule down the stretch! Team is playing well but still a ways to go.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:40 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

There did seem to be improvement this weekend, and I do remain hopeful this trend will continue.

We were attacking the o zone with more speed, which is a great change. The pp has at least been scoring, but I am going to reserve judgement on whether it's been better lately, or just lucky. The guys are still too obvious and slow moving that puck around.

Beating Vancouver was great. They are a team on the slide though, and were not a true measure of what we are capable of.

Let's see what the next three games will be like. I think that will be a decent determination of our improvement. The last stretch of the year, we should be able to do pretty well in, but the upcoming stretch will not be so easy.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For sure.

Mar 16-Apr 4:

@ Vancouver
@ Detroit
San Jose
@ Dallas
Phoenix
@ Dallas
Los Angeles
St Louis
@ San Jose
@ Los Angeles

Old
03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
BigT2002

Still need more wins on the road.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:57 PM
kfan22

Quote:
For sure.

Mar 16-Apr 4:

@ Vancouver
@ Detroit
San Jose
@ Dallas
Phoenix
@ Dallas
Los Angeles
St Louis
@ San Jose
@ Los Angeles
I would even add the 3 games after that

@ Columbus- Always have trouble in Columbus for some reason
Chicago
St. Louis

I like the remaining schedule the last 8 of the season

Old
03-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Sportserie

This thread hit the second page!

I guess this means we all agree he is doing a better job? Maybe I shouldn't have revived this since it is a good sign. LOL

I just wanted to say that I do think he has improved greatly and even though sometimes I don't understand everything he does, he has proven a lot in a very short time period. I have way more faith in him now.

Maybe we could create a Mike Yeo appreciation thread in time? LOL

Old
03-15-2013, 03:16 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Yeo has shown improvement lately, so that does give hope.

His linechanges have seemed better, and he has made some good choices on the timeouts over the last few games as well.

PP definitely needs work, but they're moving more quickly at least, and the PP is not all on him anyways.

I'm quite proud our defense and PK this year have been as good as they have, so as long as our offense continues to be a little more consistent, this might actually turn around.

I'm glad Yeo at least seems to be learning.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:45 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i don't think people realize how much better we are 5 on 5 than we've ever been in the history of the Wild. repeating myself, but **** the mother****ing powerplay. it'll come along.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:59 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

This thread should be renamed The Mike Yeo Maybe/Not Firing Thread/Squad.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:08 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I still have the same issues with him.

Match-ups are awful. Situational zone starts even worse. Will never understand why Brodziak leads the Wild forwards in ice time, or damn near it, game after game. There's more, but those drive me nuts.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
03-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I didn't see the last game and I'm not in the habit of bumping the thread after losses.

But like TP said, I haven't seen anything good out of the PP, I don't know why he's playing the 3rd/4th line so often late in games (especially when they were down by one), and those quotes after the Anaheim game sure seemed like he had no effect on the bench.

Although when I look at the actual stats, it does seem like he uses his 3rd/4th line as he should, mostly in the D zone. Just seems like he loves to throw that 4th line out there late.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:40 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Because we have a competent fourth line that can get the puck out of the zone and maintain possession....i think Yeo is a lunchpail kinda guy and he tends to think more of the same kind of guy than a lot of coaches. Its working. I dont understand the Brodz thing either though.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It didn't work against Anaheim.

Closed Thread