HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Locker room problems (again)?

Old
03-10-2013, 10:18 AM
kimmofan44

vCash: 500
they have problems with Richards Carter and upshall so Homer turns the team on its head. now there is a completely different.room full of players and there are rumors of issues leaked out again... what's the only constant here? ...... lavy. it seems he can't get a handle on his players and that maybe he lets them run the show a little to much. then he allows the media to crucify some of his players without saying a word in defense so that the blame falls on a scapegoat.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:28 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
they have problems with Richards Carter and upshall so Homer turns the team on its head. now there is a completely different.room full of players and there are rumors of issues leaked out again... what's the only constant here? ...... lavy. it seems he can't get a handle on his players and that maybe he lets them run the show a little to much. then he allows the media to crucify some of his players without saying a word in defense so that the blame falls on a scapegoat.
i said this exactly thing in the lavy thread a couple weeks back. not about the locker room issues now but the lack of effort that everyone blamed the Richards for. lavy is the common denominator.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:13 PM
SgtJoseph

When are some of you folks going to grow up and realize that there are ALWAYS locker room problems ! And they get MAGNIFIED when a club is not playing well or in a slump etc........The MEDIA loves this stuff and feeds on it because MOST media people live wretched lives and love pointing out the negatives and problems of others so they can feel some what not as bad about their own miserable lives...Its just that simple !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:16 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
When are some of you folks going to grow up and realize that there are ALWAYS locker room problems ! And they get MAGNIFIED when a club is not playing well or in a slump etc........The MEDIA loves this stuff and feeds on it because MOST media people live wretched lives and love pointing out the negatives and problems of others so they can feel some what not as bad about their own miserable lives...Its just that simple !
Doug MacLean is the person who commented on this, not the locals. What exactly does he have to gain from talking about it?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:30 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Doug MacLean is the person who commented on this, not the locals. What exactly does he have to gain from talking about it?
Who knows..........i have been watching Philly sports since the mid 60s and believe me when i tell you that ALL teams have turmoil and controversy in the locker room.They just get magnified and reported on during slumps etc.....Lavy won a Cup, then a few years later led our club to game 6 of the finals etc with his system.......Pretty damn good coach in my view. Injuries are killing this clubs chemistry.If LAVY is soooooooo bad, WHY do our players try and come back earlier than expected to try and help turn things around ? Hartnell playing with plates and screws, Mez, Read, etc etc. Losing can cause some bad emotions to stir up in folks, not just in Hockey but all kinds of endeavors including marriages etc......Want gutter snipe media hacks reporting on your family ? marriage ? etc ?..........I try and take most things that the media report on with a grain of salt.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:07 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
The constant here is the Philadelphia media.

03-10-2013, 02:32 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Who knows..........i have been watching Philly sports since the mid 60s and believe me when i tell you that ALL teams have turmoil and controversy in the locker room.They just get magnified and reported on during slumps etc.....Lavy won a Cup, then a few years later led our club to game 6 of the finals etc with his system.......Pretty damn good coach in my view. Injuries are killing this clubs chemistry.If LAVY is soooooooo bad, WHY do our players try and come back earlier than expected to try and help turn things around ? Hartnell playing with plates and screws, Mez, Read, etc etc. Losing can cause some bad emotions to stir up in folks, not just in Hockey but all kinds of endeavors including marriages etc......Want gutter snipe media hacks reporting on your family ? marriage ? etc ?..........I try and take most things that the media report on with a grain of salt.
and what does one have to do with the other. the players want to win and they want to help out their team. you can't be an NHL player without being competitive. what does that have to do with laviolette's coaching ability? maybe one could argue that they came back a little early cause they like lavy and want to make his job easier but that has nothing to do with his ability as a coach.

and yes every locker room has arguments and so on but do you really think that they are reported every time? obviously not cause we'd be hearing about it every day. stories get written when things are worse then they normally are. i will agree that the philly media likes to twist things around which is why i never blamed Richards when he was here but how can you say this is a non issue. when you have so many long term pieces in place, you can't have these issues when the team is losing. good teams argue but come together when the going gets tough. I'm not going to say that i have any real experience in the matter but i did play team sports until the age of 18 (both hockey and football). our football team was literally the worst team i had ever been apart of and we only won a single game in my junior year and two my senior year but we didn't start pointing fingers or blaming one another. again that's not to say we didn't have arguments but we sure as s*** didn't have locker room "issues" like Couturier saying saying people show up to play some days while others don't that's just not acceptable.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:05 PM
moosehead81

Never heard much of locker room issues until Laviolette and the goofy dry island concept showed up. Might want to throw Pronger in there too- thank goodness Giroux hasn't had to deal with those 2 "issues"

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
How many teams in pro sports history have had bad locker rooms while being a great team? The list is pretty much limited to the 1970s Oakland A's.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:08 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
The constant here is the Philadelphia media.
I seem to recall that some of the local media got on Richards' case when he made some remarks in an article in the Hockey News. Not sure of the exact details but something to the effect that they (the media) were hard on things. It seems she went downhill after that.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:36 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
How many teams in pro sports history have had bad locker rooms while being a great team? The list is pretty much limited to the 1970s Oakland A's.
All of them ! There are a TON of petty arguments, jealousy, playing time issues, injury issues etc that go on in EVERY locker room..........BUT in philly its news , where as many other markets the media leaves well enough alone.The Rangers, Toronto, Montreal etc have the same nonsense.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Bulls 2nd dynasty team had alot of issues

-Jackson/Jordan hate of Krause (And he sent it right back)
-Pippen unhappy about everything
-Rodman circus
-Kukoc wanting to be starter
etc

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
The "leadership group" of Timonen, Briere, Coburn, Hartnell, Giroux have probably been quite vocal, with at least 3 of those knowingly vocal with the media, whereas the rest of the locker room....the ones actually performing (Voracek, Simmonds, Schenns, Grossmann, RINALDO) are probably like...."yeah? wtf have you done for us lately?"
Giroux is our second top scorer...

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:23 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Bulls 2nd dynasty team had alot of issues

-Jackson/Jordan hate of Krause (And he sent it right back)
-Pippen unhappy about everything
-Rodman circus
-Kukoc wanting to be starter
etc
Cowboys mid-nineties team with Aikman, Irving, Smith had locker room stabbings.

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:18 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Again, this has NOTHING to do with Philly media, this was on Hockey Central at Noon on Sportsnet out of Toronto. And seriously, what athlete doesn't want to come back early from injury? This isn't because of Lavi nor is it limited to hockey, this is an athlete issue. Anyone that's played sports and had an injury wants nothing more than to be back playing.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:10 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Again, this has NOTHING to do with Philly media, this was on Hockey Central at Noon on Sportsnet out of Toronto. And seriously, what athlete doesn't want to come back early from injury? This isn't because of Lavi nor is it limited to hockey, this is an athlete issue. Anyone that's played sports and had an injury wants nothing more than to be back playing.
Respectfully i got to believe the folks in the media up in Toronto and the media folks in Philly certainly talk to each other ? share the " gossip" etc. There are alot of deviants in media and them folks certainly like spreading gossip and other things ? May not be PC to say such but its true none the less..

Old
03-10-2013, 10:46 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Giroux is our second top scorer...
Second, eh? Nice of him to show up. 14 of his 24 points have come in his last 10 games (not including his game). So yeah, he's stepping it up finally. But what about the rest?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:09 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Hartnell's snow-shower of Bryzgalov on the Hecht goal made me laugh.

Hartnell has plausible deniability of course, but something tells me he wasn't altogether regretful that it happened. Bryz popped up visibly pissed.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
Hartnell's snow-shower of Bryzgalov on the Hecht goal made me laugh.

Hartnell has plausible deniability of course, but something tells me he wasn't altogether regretful that it happened. Bryz popped up visibly pissed.
They didn't care for Bryz in Phoenix so it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't well liked in the Flyers locker room either.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

First off, Doug Maclean is on the brink of losing his position on Sportsnet's hockey panel and for months now, has been throwing out these "shocking revelations" about the inner workings of many organizations with the hopes of saving his job with one of Canada's biggest sports networks.

Hockey radio is big business North of the Border and the Sportsnet producers are all too familiar with the fact that the NHL is so hard up and desperate for any media coverage that they rarely crack down on scandalous accusations, heresay, pure fiction (Eklund) that in any industry would constitute being libel/slander/defamation.

Not 2 weeks ago, on the morning of the Leafs/Flyers game, Maclean and Kypreos were providing their top notch analysis of the matchup. Among some of Maclean's expert points were that Briere was not a good replacement for Jagr on G's wing, Coburn was our number one "D" and my favourite, Matt Carle was apparently still on the team and having an off year.

So, 2 weeks later, Doug Maclean now has his finger on the pulse of our dressing room?

The guy is a joke, grasping at straws while trying to save his job. I can't believe this thread is 2 pages long but then again, Eklund has built an entire career on this same type of bull **** journalism.

Last edited by Yukon Cornelius: 03-11-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Codith

Pretty sure Hartsy and Bryz had a good laugh at the end of game goalie props

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Go pick 20 random people and make them live most of their lives together and see what happens (real world, big brother, etc). Now introduce a difficult situation (losing) into the fold, and watch what happens.

Honestly if people weren't arguing about **** when they've played this far below expectations I'd be shocked.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:31 AM
StandingCow

IMO this is nothing more than a losing team having disagreements. Some reporters put way too much into arguments, disagreements, etc.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Go pick 20 random people and make them live most of their lives together and see what happens (real world, big brother, etc). Now introduce a difficult situation (losing) into the fold, and watch what happens.

Honestly if people weren't arguing about **** when they've played this far below expectations I'd be shocked.
If you lose more often than you win every team argues in the dressing room, in the teams I have been on in varying sports (to a pretty decent level comparatively in one or two, like best 5 teams in age group or best 3-4 Uni sports team in the country, and regional teams) even best friends fight and argue when the team is doing badly... even in training, and then 2 weeks later when we won a cup everyone is best friends again.

Rather have that that people not caring, only time it becomes a problem is when a faction arises and are all combined in venom for other faction... ofc there will always be groups in teams who get on better with each other, that is just a fact of life, only a problem when arguments are not emotional reactions, but actual dislike for the individuals.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:22 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
First off, Doug Maclean is on the brink of losing his position on Sportsnet's hockey panel and for months now, has been throwing out these "shocking revelations" about the inner workings of many organizations with the hopes of saving his job with one of Canada's biggest sports networks.

Hockey radio is big business North of the Border and the Sportsnet producers are all too familiar with the fact that the NHL is so hard up and desperate for any media coverage that they rarely crack down on scandalous accusations, heresay, pure fiction (Eklund) that in any industry would constitute being libel/slander/defamation.

Not 2 weeks ago, on the morning of the Leafs/Flyers game, Maclean and Kypreos were providing their top notch analysis of the matchup. Among some of Maclean's expert points were that Briere was not a good replacement for Jagr on G's wing, Coburn was our number one "D" and my favourite, Matt Carle was apparently still on the team and having an off year.

So, 2 weeks later, Doug Maclean now has his finger on the pulse of our dressing room?

The guy is a joke, grasping at straws while trying to save his job. I can't believe this thread is 2 pages long but then again, Eklund has built an entire career on this same type of bull **** journalism.
I would be thrilled if MacLean was removed from HC. Kypreos has great sources and accurate info but the yelling between the two of them drives me nuts.