HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 NHL draft thread: Don't need an appraiser, we're taking Lazar!

View Poll Results: Who do you want?
Seth Jones 162 52.60%
Nathan MacKinnon 17 5.52%
Jonathan Drouin 11 3.57%
Sasha Barkov 43 13.96%
Elias Lindholm 5 1.62%
Sean Monahan 30 9.74%
Valeri Nischushkin 5 1.62%
Darnell Nurse 9 2.92%
Curtis Lazar 23 7.47%
Ryan Pulock 3 0.97%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Mr V

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Unbelievable...

Just.. Wow. How does Tambo have a job?
The day the "Rebuild" was announced, Lowe and Tambo got stupid drunk. Laughing and high fiving each other. They knew they just got themselves at least 3 or 4 years of being able to sit on their ***** and do nothing.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
So we're either picking up a can't miss d-man or another can't miss center.

This has to mean we'll win the cup next year, because really... how could a team with THAT much skill loose?

Seriously. I want Barkov, but it seems like we're going to get something even better than that.
surely you jest. adding an 18 year phenom can't help a 30th place team, but adding that and a 20 year old rookie Dman (Kelfbom), along with another 4th line forward or 7th dman will surely catapolt us to the playoffs.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Not for Edmonton, they shouldnt just do it, they need to do it in order to evovle. Putting in more unexperienced young players will only make the team worse.

Its not crazy talk, its the reality of Edmonton Oilers. No 18 year old kid is going to turn Edmonton around.
That's why God created free agency. A good GM also knows how to make trades without giving up his most talented players. The big 5 should not be available at all unless something ridiculous is coming back.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:55 PM
OntOilFan

A level of ineptitude and futility the NHL hasn't seen since Quebec.

Wear it proud, Oilers fans. We cheer for the biggest joke in pro sports.

And Lowe, MacT and Tambo keep cashing their paychecks ........

Only in Edmonton. Only in Edmonton

Old
03-10-2013, 12:58 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'm one of those people that would advocate trading away Yak if it can bring in a top pairing LD or a big 2-way centre that can do everything well, but I've felt that way since the day we drafted him, not because the Oil are tanking again.

I love the idea of having an "Ovechkin Lite" on the Oilers, but the problem is that I just don't think it's what they need. History doesn't show many teams winning with Ovechkin type players so much as the Datsyuks, Malkins or Lidstroms of the world.

If Yakupov turns into a Russian Stamkos out east but I got my Lidstrom, or Pronger 2.0 in return when I dealt him, I can live with it.

I'm dead set against trading any of the other youngin's, Yak is the one chip I feel could bring in what the Oil need going forward for the long term, not just for now. I'm only trading him if I get that piece that I can only find trading for with a potential superstar (eg. Huberdeau, Gudbranson).
Just draft Jones and you've got Pronger 2.0... or one of Monahan/MacKinnon/Barkov if Jones is off the board and you've got the 2nd line centre the Oilers need. Keep Yakupov and you've got the best of both worlds.

Yak isn't going to bring back a Malkin, Datsyuk or Pronger.

This team SUCKS offensively and throwing away Yak who WILL be an elite scorer in the NHL isn't a way to help address that.

Management has to do their job by trading OTHER pieces away rather than their most elite talent.

Trading Yak is a cop out move. Same with trading the 1st this year which is likely to be an elite prospect (Jones/MacKinnon/Barkov/Monahan). Don't let management off the hook by throwing out their golden assets.

They need to spend the money and make other roster moves to complement these young players... not throw them away and then spin their wheels endlessly trying to find that elite talent again.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
A level of ineptitude and futility the NHL hasn't seen since Quebec.
Wear it proud, Oilers fans. We cheer for the biggest joke in pro sports.

And Lowe, MacT and Tambo keep cashing their paychecks ........

Only in Edmonton. Only in Edmonton
and about to be surpassed. 30th, 30th, 29th and probably 29th has got to be the worst stretch of all time.

when (if) this is over, the Oiler franchise will be able to best the best and worst teams ever.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964

Old
03-10-2013, 01:15 PM
rockinghockey

I agree I don't think that we should be trading the pick away if we can draft Jones, BArkov or Monahan. All three of those players is what we need. Yes, they are young but you didn't see PITs trade away Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury. They kept them and now they have a fantastic team. I am not saying that any of these players are Crosby or Malkin but we are do a rebuild and are still two more seasons away to compete after this one. Why would we get rid of a player because they are too young when we are rebuilding for the future.

This makes players like Hemsky and Gagner expendable which will get us assets to get the other players that we need to be better. Think about a core of:
Hall
RNH
Eberle
Yak
Schultz
Klefbom
Jones or Barkov or Monahan

That is a very nice core to start and makes it easier to fill in the rest.
Hall, RNH, Eberle
PRV, Barkov, Yak
We are set for the next 12 yrs.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:15 PM
rockinghockey

Jones is a right shot and so is Schultz, does this cause problems and means that they have to play on seperate pairings.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Jones is a right shot and so is Schultz, does this cause problems and means that they have to play on seperate pairings.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with having 2 potentially elite d-men playing on separate pairings.

And Jones is a far far far more promising prospect than Schultz. If you using your pick and he is on the board, you take him absolutely no matter who else is on the team.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Asher

If they pick Jones will he be playing in the NHL next year? I feel very worried about rushing a defenseman.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:40 PM
ChadSC
SportingCharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
and about to be surpassed. 30th, 30th, 29th and probably 29th has got to be the worst stretch of all time.

when (if) this is over, the Oiler franchise will be able to best the best and worst teams ever.
You can thank a few other teams for that honor - Senators ('92-'95 seasons), Lightening ('97-'00 seasons), Penguins ('01-'05 seasons) and Sharks ('91-'96 seasons).

Old
03-10-2013, 01:50 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
So is Jones the real deal at #1? We've had endless discussions over the years about defenseman who didn't pan out in the top 2-3. Is Jones the guy that will make Stauffer put away his stat about how practically every dman drafted in the top 5 over the last several years no longer plays for the team that drafted him?
i don't know, and anybody who tells you anything else is likely lying

dmen are just that hard to predict, guys like hedman and larsson were very well thought of going into the draft, and haven't exactly lit the world on fire in their early years ... both are solid players though, and would easily be top-4 guys in edmonton btw, just to be clear (hedman would be a top-pairing guy for us)... i'm just saying that the doughty's of the world really are the rarity

if two players are roughly equal, i take the forward each and every time... i just don't think that mackinnon has enough pure offence and drouin enough size for either of them to be considered even with jones at this point

Old
03-10-2013, 01:54 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Man it's been a long journey. I'm so proud of this team. To reach this pinnacle in the NHL again is just an amazing feat.

Honestly, I don't think this sort of run has happened in any of the other big four.

Mad props to management for reaching such an unprecedented level of consistency.
The rebuild plan has unfolded perfectly. Beautifully executed.

http://answers.bettor.com/images/Art...ates-74616.jpg

The proud smile of victory and achievement!

Now...if only I had a picture of a house with the foundation intact and the supporting columns collapsed around Tambos feet.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:58 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
If they pick Jones will he be playing in the NHL next year? I feel very worried about rushing a defenseman.
yeah, this is my feeling as well... i don't think jones should be in the NHL next year, but recently picked loterry dmen have mostly all made the jump ... below are the dman chosen top-5 since 2008, and NHL GP played the next year

2008 - doughty (81), bogosian (47), pietrangelo (8), schenn (70)
2009 - hedman (74)
2010 - gudbranson (0)
2011 - larsson (65)
2012 - murray, reianhart, rielly (it appears that all will likely not play any NHL games this year)

of the 10 dmen taken, 5 played significant time with the NHL club the following year.... none of them were #1 overall picks, with maybe only hedman, larsson and doughty having the pre-draft hype that jones currently has.... edmonton likely has a much worse defence than pretty much any of the teams that drafted these players had at the time.... if edmonton somehow ends up taking jones, barring injury, he'll be playing in the NHL next year

Old
03-10-2013, 02:01 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Well all you can go by is what scouts say and what you see with your own eyes.

Any player can bust. What I've seen of Jones (WJC mainly) shows he's a very solid dman. He has the size and defensive/offensive skills to be an all-around #1 dman. His ceiling is very high and the chances of him not being at the very minimum a top 4 dman are essentially zero in my view.

If he's not available then one of the top ranked centres would be excellent picks but Jones has the highest ceiling at his position and is the best choice at #1 imo. The fact that he's BPA and also fills a need for the Oilers makes him an easy pick.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I'm always curious here. Why did people flock back to buy tickets and support this mess?

Especially after lockout, Katz being a DB phony talks with Seattle etc.

Did people really think this season was going to be worthwhile? I was cheering for the lockout tbh.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:09 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
He's definitely talented enough to be. He won't be a 1st pairing minute eater yet, but he'd be more than capable of playing bottom pairing with time on the PP/PK. Maybe more

Old
03-10-2013, 02:10 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah, this is my feeling as well... i don't think jones should be in the NHL next year, but recently picked loterry dmen have mostly all made the jump ... below are the dman chosen top-5 since 2008, and NHL GP played the next year

2008 - doughty (81), bogosian (47), pietrangelo (8), schenn (70)
2009 - hedman (74)
2010 - gudbranson (0)
2011 - larsson (65)
2012 - murray, reianhart, rielly (it appears that all will likely not play any NHL games this year)

of the 10 dmen taken, 5 played significant time with the NHL club the following year.... none of them were #1 overall picks, with maybe only hedman, larsson and doughty having the pre-draft hype that jones currently has.... edmonton likely has a much worse defence than pretty much any of the teams that drafted these players had at the time.... if edmonton somehow ends up taking jones, barring injury, he'll be playing in the NHL next year
To be fair, Murray would be if it wasn't for his injury

Old
03-10-2013, 02:23 PM
oilexport

-Lowe announces Tambo's new 5 year contract with raise

"We asked him to blow up Team and draft high, Tambo has exceeded our wildest expectations..."

-Lowe was asked on Tambo's ability to complete the rebuild

"based on Tambo's past results I'm paying him for future ability in this regard"

-Lowe is so smart that only Katz can relate to his brilliance, Katz quickly resigns Lowe with raise...

meanwhile, Oiler fans rush to High Level bridge and jump off, Katz sells painkillers to the survivors and still comes out ahead.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:25 PM
bigguy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Three positives in this $h!# sandwich:
1. It's a short season.
2. MacKinnon and RNH would be an amazing one-two.
3. Klefbom shoots left and Jones shoots right.
Still small and Klefbom could be a busty

Old
03-10-2013, 02:33 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Jones did play the left side when he was playing with Trouba, so there's a possibility they could play together.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:46 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Honestly you can't not pick Jones because you think the Oilers will **** him up by throwing him into the lineup too soon and will stunt his development.

Management needs to clean house this summer and expel parts of their d that aren't effective...

JSchultz
Smid
Petry
Fistric

NSchultz
Whitney
Potter
Peckham

Wipe out the bottom half of that list of 8... add 2 more reliable vet dmen through trades/UFA and then bringing in a rookie like Klefbom/Jones(if they are lucky enough to draft him) doesn't look so bad.

Justin Schultz is being forcefed 1st pairing minutes as a rookie. If Klefbom/Jones can be fed smaller minutes I see no reason why they can't be used on the roster.

Other teams use rookie dmen in 3rd pairing and 7th dman spots... that's something the Oil should be doing as well but they lack the depth to do it. They need to make the acquisitions to make that environment possible with their moves this summer.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:51 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Honestly you can't not pick Jones because you think the Oilers will **** him up by throwing him into the lineup too soon and will stunt his development.

Management needs to clean house this summer and expel parts of their d that aren't effective...

JSchultz
Smid
Petry
Fistric

NSchultz
Whitney
Potter
Peckham

Wipe out the bottom half of that list of 8... add 2 more reliable vet dmen through trades/UFA and then bringing in a rookie like Klefbom/Jones(if they are lucky enough to draft him) doesn't look so bad.

Justin Schultz is being forcefed 1st pairing minutes as a rookie. If Klefbom/Jones can be fed smaller minutes I see no reason why they can't be used on the roster.

Other teams use rookie dmen in 3rd pairing and 7th dman spots... that's something the Oil should be doing as well but they lack the depth to do it. They need to make the acquisitions to make that environment possible with their moves this summer.
It'd be a mistake to ditch N. Schultz. He just needs a more reasonable cap hit and to be playing on the bottom pairing with Fistric

Old
03-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Brewster

Quote:
I agree I don't think that we should be trading the pick away if we can draft Jones, BArkov or Monahan. All three of those players is what we need. Yes, they are young but you didn't see PITs trade away Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury. They kept them and now they have a fantastic team. I am not saying that any of these players are Crosby or Malkin but we are do a rebuild and are still two more seasons away to compete after this one. Why would we get rid of a player because they are too young when we are rebuilding for the future.

This makes players like Hemsky and Gagner expendable which will get us assets to get the other players that we need to be better. Think about a core of:
Hall
RNH
Eberle
Yak
Schultz
Klefbom
Jones or Barkov or Monahan

That is a very nice core to start and makes it easier to fill in the rest.
Hall, RNH, Eberle
PRV, Barkov, Yak
We are set for the next 12 yrs.
I agree with this. IMO, alot of people are overeacting to the Oil being so bad this year. Realistically, teams do not go from the basement to the playoffs in one year as many people inside and outside of the city were predicting. Honestly, I think Oiler fans should be happy that we are going to get another phenomonal player to build for the future and round out the roster. Is it a bit disconcerting to see the effort that goes into some of the Oiler's games and the wild inconsistencies in some of the play that we have seen this year? Yes. However, I think in five years that all Oiler fans will be happy that we snatched another top flight player in the draft this year rather than making the playoffs.

Closed Thread