T-Ross!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
FYI http://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status...26602986700800

Don't tell me the best players are playing

They arne't

The lack of Strasburg or Harper on this team is a HUGE blow
lol.. you act like USA is the only missing players. Your roster is missing players yet you still have a quality MLB team roster. Maybe even better. Vogelsong, Dickey, Bell, Holland, and Gonzalez is still a pretty decent pitching staff. You have two starting MLB catchers, four good OFs, and 4 good IFs. Sure, a lot of those players wouldn't be there with a full roster, but they are still quality replacements.

Look at us Canadians, we're missing most of our best players and the only guys we have to replace them are A-AA guys. We have like 4 regular MLB players and a bunch of call-ups.

Canada is missing Bay, Kottaras, Martin, Nickeas (plus the injured Lawrie). Our starters is the biggest hit, we're missing Harden, Dempster, Francis, Bedard, and Diamond. Plus, our staff could definitely use Crain, Richmond, and Hawksworth.

Our lineup is this;

Gillies CF
Green 3B
Votto DH
Morneau 1B
Saunders LF
Robinson C
Loewen RF
Orr 2B
Iorg SS

instead of;

Gillies CF
Lawrie 3B
Votto DH
Morneau 1B
Saunders LF
Martin C
Loewen RF
Green 2B
Orr SS

Our starting pitchers for the 1st round are;

Shawn Hill
Chris Leroux
Jameson Taillon

instead of;

Scott Diamond
Ryan Dempster
Erik Bedard/Jeff Francis

We're starting a freaking A-ball guy against the USA because of all the guys who turned down invites to come.

USA isn't the only team hurting. Team USA is still ranked #2 in the tournament, despite the roster.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
FYI http://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status...26602986700800

Don't tell me the best players are playing

They arne't

The lack of Strasburg or HArper on this team is a HUGE blow
I would put Wright over Headley, also would put Kemp & McCutchen over Stanton as well. To me, the difference making is the pitching though.

Look at a list of the top 10 starting pitchers in the MLB, probably only one won't be American - Felix Hernandez. Yet, none of those pitchers are playing in this tournament. Only one I'd consider is Dickey, but he is a borderline top 10 pitcher, only has had one really good year. Go even further, check out the top 20 starting pitchers in the league - There would be maybe 3 non-Americans on the list (Hernandez, Cueto, Gallardo)

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
lol.. you act like USA is the only missing players. Your roster is missing players yet you still have a quality MLB team roster. Maybe even better. Vogelsong, Dickey, Bell, Holland, and Gonzalez is still a pretty decent pitching staff. You have two starting MLB catchers, four good OFs, and 4 good IFs. Sure, a lot of those players wouldn't be there with a full roster, but they are still quality replacements.

Look at us Canadians, we're missing most of our best players and the only guys we have to replace them are A-AA guys. We have like 4 regular MLB players and a bunch of call-ups.

Canada is missing Bay, Kottaras, Martin, Nickeas (plus the injured Lawrie). Our starters is the biggest hit, we're missing Harden, Dempster, Francis, Bedard, and Diamond. Plus, our staff could definitely use Crain, Richmond, and Hawksworth.

Our lineup is this;

Gillies CF
Green 3B
Votto DH
Morneau 1B
Saunders LF
Robinson C
Loewen RF
Orr 2B
Iorg SS

instead of;

Gillies CF
Lawrie 3B
Votto DH
Morneau 1B
Saunders LF
Martin C
Loewen RF
Green 2B
Orr SS

Shawn Hill
Chris Leroux
Jameson Taillon

instead of;

Scott Diamond
Ryan Dempster
Erik Bedard/Jeff Francis

We're starting a freaking A-ball guy against the USA because of all the guys who turned down invites to come.

USA isn't the only team hurting. Team USA is still ranked #2 in the tournament, despite the roster.
Both of those guys would find a way to get injured before even taking the field

Old
03-10-2013, 11:16 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Both of those guys would find a way to get injured before even taking the field
I think Harden is injured.

But Diamond and Dempster would be huge. Even Francis would be an improvement on what we have.

Quote:
I would put Wright over Headley, also would put Kemp & McCutchen over Stanton as well. To me, the difference making is the pitching though.

Look at a list of the top 10 starting pitchers in the MLB, probably only one won't be American - Felix Hernandez. Yet, none of those pitchers are playing in this tournament. Only one I'd consider is Dickey, but he is a borderline top 10 pitcher, only has had one really good year. Go even further, check out the top 20 starting pitchers in the league - There would be maybe 3 non-Americans on the list (Hernandez, Cueto, Gallardo)
Dickey has had three good seasons in a row. The month good year is a myth because of his wins. But if you break down the stats and look, he's been great for 3-years.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Xokkeu

Just like Canada and the US at the iihf worlds, when the defections start they hurt the US much more than Canada due to Canada's depth. It's reversed in baseball obviously but each omission by Canada is going to hurt much worse than the Americans.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Have My Baby Pierre

Canada certainly has a decent chance at winning today with Derek Friggin Holland on the mound..that many pitchers didn't or couldn't attend due to management that they had to ask Holland? There may be 50+ pitchers I'd put ahead of Holland, no joke!

Old
03-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Just like Canada and the US at the iihf worlds, when the defections start they hurt the US much more than Canada due to Canada's depth. It's reversed in baseball obviously but each omission by Canada is going to hurt much worse than the Americans.
Maybe..but put America's best up against Canada's best, and I'd feel a lot more confident in this game than I am now. We are talking a top 5 pitcher in the game starting against Canada right now instead of Derek Holland..

Old
03-10-2013, 12:03 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Maybe..but put America's best up against Canada's best, and I'd feel a lot more confident in this game than I am now. We are talking a top 5 pitcher in the game starting against Canada right now instead of Derek Holland..
Holland has posted around a 4.00 ERA in the past three seasons in the MLB. Not exactly horrible. That solid #'s for a 3-4. We're going with a guy who put up nearly a 4.00 ERA in A+ ball last year.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
spain/venezuela at 1230 today.

us/canada at 4.

the loser of these games will have to qualify for 2017 unless mlb changes the rules.
not true for the Canada/USA game.

If USA loses they are tied with Mexico and lost to Mexico so would have to qualify.

If Canada loses they are tied with Mexico but they beat Meixco so Mexico would have to qualify

Canada4Gold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:

Our lineup is this;

Gillies CF
Green 3B
Votto DH
Morneau 1B
Saunders LF
Robinson C
Loewen RF
Orr 2B
Iorg SS

instead of;

Gillies CF
Lawrie 3B
Votto DH
Morneau 1B
Saunders LF
Martin C
Loewen RF
Green 2B
Orr SS

Shawn Hill
Chris Leroux
Jameson Taillon

instead of;

Scott Diamond
Ryan Dempster
Erik Bedard/Jeff Francis

He's not just any A-ball guy! He's a super prospect A-ball guy!

Taillon would have been on the team anyway. I have faith in him.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:32 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
He's not just any A-ball guy! He's a super prospect A-ball guy!

Taillon would have been on the team anyway. I have faith in him.
Haha, I know he's a top prospect. But that's all he is at this point. Holland is a solid middle of the rotation starter in the majors already - with better bats behind him.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Good luck to Canada today

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:31 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

USA line up is ok. Our pitchin is not the best by alot

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Kershaw

Go Canada

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Holland has posted around a 4.00 ERA in the past three seasons in the MLB. Not exactly horrible. That solid #'s for a 3-4. We're going with a guy who put up nearly a 4.00 ERA in A+ ball last year.
Yeah, Holland is a solid middle of the rotation pitcher..but going into this 3rd game, I'd much prefer a matchup of one of Strasburg/Price/Lee/Cain/Hamels/Weaver etc (Assuming Verlander/Kershaw are our #1 and #2) against Francis or Bedard instead of Holland vs Taillon.

Clearly the US should still win, but I'll take a matchup of the best of the US against the best of Canada any day over the way the matchup looks now.

Last edited by Have My Baby Pierre: 03-10-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Yeah, Holland is a solid middle of the rotation pitcher..but going into this 3rd game, I'd much prefer a matchup of one of Strasburg/Price/Lee/Cain/Hamels/Weaver etc (Assuming Verlander/Kershaw are our #1 and #2) against Francis or Bedard instead of Holland vs Taillon.
I'm pretty sure Canada would have saved Diamond or Dempster for the US.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Canada would have saved Diamond or Dempster for the US.
Maybe..not sure, it would maybe make more sense still for Canada to have their two best pitchers go up against Italy and Mexico, teams more evenly matched against Canada to make sure they can win those games. That game against Mexico for Canada was also a must win, sure they would have played their best pitcher.

Last edited by Have My Baby Pierre: 03-10-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 02:34 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Maybe..not sure, it would maybe make more sense still for Canada to have their two best pitchers go up against Italy and Mexico, teams more evenly matched against Canada to make sure they can win those games. That game against Mexico for Canada was also a must win, sure they would have played their best pitcher.
Possibly. Depends how the tournament played out, I guess. I guess Taillon has the "stuff" to be our best pitcher, but our staff is ****ing brutal.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:37 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
not true for the Canada/USA game.

If USA loses they are tied with Mexico and lost to Mexico so would have to qualify.

If Canada loses they are tied with Mexico but they beat Meixco so Mexico would have to qualify
you're right to correct me.

the funny thing is i knew that but neglected to mention it.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/RGriffinStar/stat...23974865100800

Quote:
Jose Bautista says Canada broke baseball’s unwritten code Saturday by trying to run up the score in their World Baseball Classic victory over Mexico, regardless of the tournament’s tiebreaker rules.

“I’m not buying the fact that teams are bunting when they’re up by six because of the rules of the WBC,” Bautista told reporters Sunday morning.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

I think I would have picked Anthony Rizzo over Eric Hosmer to represent team USA.

1. Hosmer had a very disappointing season, while Rizzo had a great year for the amount of games he played. Actually basically had better numbers in close to 70 less games played.

2. I never thought of Hosmer as a bad defensive 1B, but going by fielding stats, he was the worst in the majors while Rizzo was great.

I still think Hosmer is going to be a very good player, but Rizzo deserved it more IMO.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Unholy Diver

Quote:
I think I would have picked Anthony Rizzo over Eric Hosmer to represent team USA.

1. Hosmer had a very disappointing season, while Rizzo had a great year for the amount of games he played. Actually basically had better numbers in close to 70 less games played.

2. I never thought of Hosmer as a bad defensive 1B, but going by fielding stats, he was the worst in the majors while Rizzo was great.

I still think Hosmer is going to be a very good player, but Rizzo deserved it more IMO.
Rizzo is on team Italy

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Diver View Post
Rizzo is on team Italy
I know..but he said in an interview before the WBC that he hopes to play for team USA, but would still play for Italy if he doesn't get an invite from the US.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:20 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

by the time teixeira was hurt, rizzo had already committed to italy. that'd be kind of ****** for him to switch teams especially in the same pool.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote