HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Do you fire Laviolette? (Philadelphia Daily News article dated March 12, 2013)

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 01:16 PM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Bryz can use a breather, whats so bad about that ?

Old
03-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Lavy's system is one in which you need a specific group of players both on d and on offense to execute.

His system is one in which forwards and d men take many chances in order to have an advantage on offense.

Because of this I think we have a roster of forwards with inflated numbers. If we switch to a more defensive minded system those numbers will drop off significantly. If we continue to switch identitiies like that we will never have a roster that compliments the style we want to play.

The style you want to win with comes from the organization, and the GM. If we keep changing GM's then again we are constantly trying to reinvent ourselves. Professional sports is so reactionary , and building a winner takes time. You need an owner and a gm that are committed to an identity and will not react to the ups and downs that seasons can bring. Sometimes players have bad years, sometimes there are injuries all these things can stunt growth but dont necessarily mean the system is not working.

Im a believer that in todays nhl Lavy's system will not thrive. However our roster is designed with this system in mind. SO that is the connundrum. A change in philosphies will mean a change in roster. Right now we have a very talented roster a change in philophies could deplete that talent.

This is a good point. I don't even know what I want to see in terms of a GM and coach. I want an uptempo team with solid defensive play. Is that even possible? I think if we had better defensemen, maybe. But we don't have access to any defensemen like that. I feel that the Flyers are stuck - we have forwards who can (or should be able to) score. That's our strength. In order to obtain any solid d-men, we have to deplete that, which means that we'd end up struggling offensively.

So how can it be remedied?

Old
03-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Regarding tanking, I don't even consider intentionally losing as a possibility, but I do see trying not to improve as a possiblility. When I talk about tanking, I mean I don't want to Holmgren to try to win at all costs right now. I mean just don't try to improve the team for the moment at the cost of the future (i.e. trading our first rounder for Iginla).

Old
03-10-2013, 02:14 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
This is a good point. I don't even know what I want to see in terms of a GM and coach. I want an uptempo team with solid defensive play. Is that even possible? I think if we had better defensemen, maybe. But we don't have access to any defensemen like that. I feel that the Flyers are stuck - we have forwards who can (or should be able to) score. That's our strength. In order to obtain any solid d-men, we have to deplete that, which means that we'd end up struggling offensively.

Stop trading picks for 30+ players like Gagne.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Stop trading picks for 30+ players like Gagne.

It was ****ing 4th round pick. There's better examples to use than that.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:20 PM
CyborgLindros

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

It was ****ing 4th round pick. There's better examples to use than that.
No no it COULD be a 3rd round pick that would cost us. No but seriously people need to stop acting like he made a horrible trade. Homer didn't want to go all in that we would make it this season but he didn't want to sit back and watch the team fall apart. So he gave a 4th/3rd for a player he knew would energize the fans and hopefully help give us some offense and leadership.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:11 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgLindros View Post
No no it COULD be a 3rd round pick that would cost us. No but seriously people need to stop acting like he made a horrible trade. Homer didn't want to go all in that we would make it this season but he didn't want to sit back and watch the team fall apart. So he gave a 4th/3rd for a player he knew would energize the fans and hopefully help give us some offense and leadership.
And how's that working so far? If the Flyers lose badly to the Sabres tonight, Laviolette's ass will be out the door. And I wouldn't be surprised if Holmgren comes in to coach the rest of the year.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
And how's that working so far? If the Flyers lose badly to the Sabres tonight, Laviolette's ass will be out the door. And I wouldn't be surprised if Holmgren comes in to coach the rest of the year.
It was worth a try. It was a low risk. That's what we were trying to get at there.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:24 PM
TheLegendkiller

Yeah, I don't see the problem with the Gagne trade.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:35 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Yeah, I don't see the problem with the Gagne trade.
neither do i. he took a small chance rather then trading couturier and our 1st for someone like iggy or dan boyle which would have been beyond terrible.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
neither do i. he took a small chance rather then trading couturier and our 1st for someone like iggy or dan boyle
Gagne hasn't been bad either. The team as a whole has just been sucking and we hoped that Gagne might of helped spark Couts, but Couts is in a huge slump right now, and I think is killing the line more than anyone else on the line (Read, Talbot, Briere or Gagne). Things will get better with Gagne.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:38 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Gagne hasn't been bad either. The team as a whole has just been sucking and we hoped that Gagne might of helped spark Couts, but Couts is in a huge slump right now, and I think is killing the line more than anyone else on the line (Read, Talbot, Briere or Gagne). Things will get better with Gagne.
i agree. i actually hope he's re-signed for relatively cheap.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Getting Gagne was just one of the things we needed

We still need a consistent bryz and a #1 D man

03-10-2013, 04:11 PM

We need the summer.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
A 4th round pick for a top 9 forward in the NHL is a good value play. Especially since this team doesn't draft well.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:22 PM
CyborgLindros

Quote:
It worked out as it was supposed to name a 4th round guy in our system that anyone is expecting to go be in the top 3 lines. If he hadn't tried to turn it around everyone would be killing him for that. It was a good move and at the least made some fans happy to see him back. Gagne may even resign next year and has value unlike Knuble

Old
03-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post

Personally i think the Kings are a great style to emulate. But they have 3 special players that make the system work. Kopitar, dougty, and QUick and ill give a shout out to Carter too.

They are so responsibly defensively in all 4 forwards lines. Really they only have 1 player who sucks on defense in the top 12 and thats Penner and he is not as bad as briere or others.

Their forwards are rarely out of position but because of it they struggle to score. Kopitar is such a beast on the puck that he is able to gain the zone no problem and shield the puck until he is ready to make a play. Few centerman can do this.

Dougty has that special ability to dominate both ends of the ice.

QUick can put a team on his back .

Their style of play works in the playoffs too. Rangers have another great style but the blocking shots thing is always going to lead to injuries, they were lucky last year and so far this year they have been fortunate to not have any serious injuries.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:09 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

If you guys ever get sick of the guy, we on the West Coast are more than happy to snatch him up from ya.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:18 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
If you guys ever get sick of the guy, we on the West Coast are more than happy to snatch him up from ya.
I'll trade you Lavy for your 1st pick this year.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
We needed another winger that can play defense to help Couturier that wouldn't be an offensive black hole. That Gagne has the history here he does and knows the coach and players makes his reassimilation easier. I'm not sure what there is to complain about.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:40 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Just saw where the Flyers played unintentionally shorthanded for a while last night.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Curufinwe

The feel of quality coaching.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:23 PM
redsfanhere*

THREE STARS OF THE WEEK
1ST-SERGI BROBROSKY
2ND-SIDNEY CROSBY
3RD-JEFF CARTER

i'de say he needs fired...and the gm too

Last edited by redsfanhere*: 03-11-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old
03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Just saw where the Flyers played unintentionally shorthanded for a while last night.
That's more on the player sitting on the bench. That guy needs to recognize that the dude he should be replacing is leaving the ice.

03-11-2013, 12:32 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That's more on the player sitting on the bench. That guy needs to recognize that the dude he should be replacing is leaving the ice.
Kinda reminds me of the Ottawa game(I think it was that game) when Ottawa was skating 4 on 4 while on the PP for like 25-30 seconds

Closed Thread