HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 02:02 PM
briererocks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I would not trade Couturier and a first for this year's first overall. I know Jones is good, but he has never played a professional game. He is definitely a solid prospect, but there is no such thing as sure thing. Since 1990 there have only been four defensemen taken first overall: Roman Hamrlik, Jovo, Bryan Berard, Chris Phillips, and Erik Johnson. I don't really know or remember the hype surrounding these players at the time, but if they were taken #1, it is safe to assume it is similar to that of Seth Jones.
This is perhaps the smartest statement I have read. If the Flyers have the first pick they should pick Jones but Jones is no sure thing. As the person above pointed out, many of the defenseman taken #1 ended up being relative busts and Jones game is not mature. Again, if the Flyers have the first pick take Jones but in my opinion Mackinnon and Drouin are safer picks in terms of being star NHL players.

If the Flyers did not get the first pick I would draft the bpa, such as Mackinnon or Dround and try to trade Simmonds to the Caps for Orlov. Obviously Flyers fans love Simmonds but Orlov is an elite offensive defenseman who is very young and has potential.

Bottom line is it is not Jones or bust. The Flyers should select the bpa even if it means drafting a forward. They can trade Simmonds to get an elite young defenseman or try very very very very hard to get a NCAA UFA such as Dekeyser by signing him to a 1 way contract and promising him pp time. The Flyers are a young team. It drives me crazy when I every other posting from Flyers fans involve trading Couturier. He is 20 years old. 6 weeks ago people were writing the B Schenn was completely overreated. Posters last years were saying the JVR sucked. The team has young talent that requires patience. The defensive issues can be addressed without blowing up the whole team.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:06 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I would not trade Couturier and a first for this year's first overall. I know Jones is good, but he has never played a professional game. He is definitely a solid prospect, but there is no such thing as sure thing. Since 1990 there have only been four defensemen taken first overall: Roman Hamrlik, Jovo, Bryan Berard, Chris Phillips, and Erik Johnson. I don't really know or remember the hype surrounding these players at the time, but if they were taken #1, it is safe to assume it is similar to that of Seth Jones.
DFF we dont agree on TOO many things but I'm 100% with you.

I like Jones, but people are making him out to be the best defender since Pronger. I liked how he played in the WJC but didnt see super franchise defender. Not saying he wont be, but the hype is becoming crazy for him, especially some of the trade proposals.

That being said, Im sitting here thinking who we draft if we draft if we get say the #4 pick and Jones, McKinnon and Drouin are gone. Do you go for need with Nurse or overall best player with Barkov/Nichushkin?

Old
03-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Wait what?

Are we talking Dmitri orlov? Because he's not an elite offensive defenseman..

Old
03-10-2013, 02:10 PM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

I like Jones, but people are making him out to be the best defender since Pronger. I liked how he played in the WJC but didnt see super franchise defender. Not saying he wont be, but the hype is becoming crazy for him, especially some of the trade proposals.

That being said, Im sitting here thinking who we draft if we draft if we get say the #4 pick and Jones, McKinnon and Drouin are gone. Do you go for need with Nurse or overall best player with Barkov/Nichushkin?
I take Barkov, then again I love centers.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Krishna

I'd trade down to 7th and pick nurse/zadorov/pulock while picking up another pick

Old
03-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

I'd draft Barkov, then try to move him or another center for a top defenseman. Barkov is the obvious choice at 4, so I make that pick and see what I can do.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:42 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

If we stay at 4 and jones, Drouin and mackinnon are all gone, I think id pick nurse. Outside of jones' obvious potential, I think nurse has the ability to be the best defenseman in the draft.

But I'd really think about trading down some spots and getting multiple picks.

It'd be awesome if we could somehow end up with a guy like Pulock as well as someone like Mantha.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:44 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If we stay at 4 and jones, Drouin and mackinnon are all gone, I think id pick nurse. Outside of jones' obvious potential, I think nurse has the ability to be the best defenseman in the draft.

It'd be awesome if we could somehow end up with a guy like Pulock as well as someone like Mantha.
If we could still go down from 4th to something like 7th or 8th, and possibly pick up another top 15 pick, that would be amazing. Who is Mantha compared to?

Old
03-10-2013, 02:50 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
If we could still go down from 4th to something like 7th or 8th, and possibly pick up another top 15 pick, that would be amazing. Who is Mantha compared to?
Think of a more physical, nasty version of Jeff carter. I've also heard comparisons to Corey Perry and Bobby Ryan.
He's huge, he could potententially be the best skater in the draft IMO, he has a nasty shot/one timer, he goes to the dirty areas and has a nose for the net, and hell also throw his body around and drop the gloves a good amount.

He really quite literally has all the tools to be a dynamic winger in the nhl.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Think of a more physical, nasty version of Jeff carter. I've also heard comparisons to Corey Perry and Bobby Ryan.
He's huge, he could potententially be the best skater in the draft IMO, he has a nasty shot/one timer, he goes to the dirty areas and has a nose for the net, and hell also throw his body around and drop the gloves a good amount.

I believe his biggest knock is he's known to be a floater at times.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:57 PM
SolidSnakeUS

From what I can tell of videos and scouts, Nurse is supposed to be Pronger-esque?

I will say this, imagine if we could draft both Nurse and Pulock. Holy **** that would be unfair .

Nurse-Schenn
Grossmann-Pulock
Timonen-Mez

Old
03-10-2013, 02:58 PM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Quote:

Pretty much the reason why I'm hoping Homer will sell at the deadline and somehow he acquires another 1st round pick. I'd be happy with any of the top 10 guys in the draft plus Mantha or Gauthier.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:59 PM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Quote:
From what I can tell of videos and scouts, Nurse is supposed to be Pronger-esque?

I will say this, imagine if we could draft both Nurse and Pulock. Holy **** that would be unfair .
Biggest knock is that his uncle in law is McNabb

Old
03-10-2013, 03:00 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown81592 View Post
Pretty much the reason why I'm hoping Homer will sell at the deadline and somehow he acquires another 1st round pick. I'd be happy with any of the top 10 guys in the draft plus Mantha or Gauthier.
Sadly, Briere would be the best option. Maybe throw in Coburn + Briere to get a top 15 or top 10 pick from a team. Seriously, get both Nurse and Pulock I think would be more insane than Nurse and Mantha.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:02 PM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Quote:
Sadly, Briere would be the best option. Maybe throw in Coburn + Briere to get a top 15 or top 10 pick from a team. Seriously, get both Nurse and Pulock I think would be more insane than Nurse and Mantha.
Pretty much I would be happy with anyone in this draft. It's pretty deep and talented on both offense and defensive. I wouldn't mind Nurse and Pulock just a bit timid on this organization drafting defensemen.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I hate the Pronger comparison. They throw it out there like its nothing these days. Every draft some player gets compared to him.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:05 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I hate the Pronger comparison. They throw it out there like its nothing these days. Every draft some player gets compared to him.
The only reason I said that was that he's big, he fights, he hits, and has a very good offensive game. Also he shoots left.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:06 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

I would go with Nurse. Depending on who is picking ahead of the Flyers, I wouldn't be opposed to trying to trade up for the #1 pick (or two or three depending on whether or not Jones is on the board), I just wouldn't go crazy and deal our first and Couturier. I don't know the price of a top pick in this year's draft, but if it came down to it, I think I would deal this year's first as well as next year's for Jones. Get Jones in the first, a guy like Mantha or De La Rose in the second.

EDIT: Also is it true that Nurse is Donovan McNabb's nephew?

Old
03-10-2013, 03:09 PM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Quote:
I would go with Nurse. Depending on who is picking ahead of the Flyers, I wouldn't be opposed to trying to trade up for the #1 pick (or two or three depending on whether or not Jones is on the board), I just wouldn't go crazy and deal our first and Couturier. I don't know the price of a top pick in this year's draft, but if it came down to it, I think I would deal this year's first as well as next year's for Jones. Get Jones in the first, a guy like Mantha or De La Rose in the second.

Mantha might go in the 1st based on some mocks and rankings I've seen.
http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...rhockey,wp1095
Quote:
Darnell Nurse also has benefitting of tapping into the experience of his uncle by marriage, Minnesota Vikings quarterback Donovan McNabb, who he trains with in the summer.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown81592 View Post
Mantha might go in the 1st based on some mocks and rankings I've seen.
http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...rhockey,wp1095
Haha, nice. I'm cool if Mantha goes in the first. I like him but I also like De La Rose in the second.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:12 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
The only reason I said that was that he's big, he fights, he hits, and has a very good offensive game. Also he shoots left.
I was speaking in general about the scouts and their comparisons. I wasn't taking a shot at you.

I've heard him and Jones being compared to Pronger by scouts for this draft.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:14 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I just hope Nurse isn't persecuted as much as his uncle.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I was speaking in general. I wasn't really coming at you on that.

I've heard him and Jones being compared to Pronger by scouts for this draft.
Someone mentioned in the Prospects section that Jones is more of a physical version of Pietrangelo.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:19 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:

Mantha in the 2nd? He's projected to go mid 1st round.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Krishna

finish 5th

Trade 5th for 7th/8th + 2nd
Trade Briere for 1st + prospect
Trade 2 2nds for another 1st

pick pulock/zadorov/nurse + BPA + BPA

Closed Thread