HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If we are hovering around the 8th spot in 2 weeks what will we do?

View Poll Results: If we are really in contention to make the playoffs what do you see happening?
Stand Pat 27 41.54%
Add some help 24 36.92%
Still dump salary 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-10-2013, 01:49 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
If we are hovering around the 8th spot in 2 weeks what will we do?

Let me start right off by saying this is NOT a Wang vs Snow thread and we already have a thread for that.
My question is it out of the realm of possibility that we actually make a move or 2 to bring in some immediate help or do you think we just stand pat?

I really think this could be upper management worst nightmare for the fact that if they intend to dump some players and we are still in it this will throw a huge monkey wrench into their plans.

03-10-2013, 01:56 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Let me start right off by saying this is NOT a Wang vs Snow thread and we already have a thread for that.
My question is it out of the realm of possibility that we actually make a move or 2 to bring in some immediate help or do you think we just stand pat?

I really think this could be upper management worst nightmare for the fact that if they intend to dump some players and we are still in it this will throw a huge monkey wrench into their plans.
This is a very rough one.....

IMO, there isn't much return for anything the Islanders could trade right now unless it's packaged with a particular high pick. If the organization *really* wants to make a statement and say to the league that management considers the rebuild is considered over, technically it can be packaged.

Since it isn't too long until 'mob justice' takes over and more prospects start making the team, it technically could be for the better to ship the 1st round pick, Niederreiter and Okposo for 'news we can use,' so long as the Isles have contractual leverage over the centerpiece coming back our way.

Hard call, but if I had my way, I'd do something along these lines and remove the dead weight from the roster at the same time....see what the 1st and KO are worth on the market, add something non-integral to the Isles and go from there - it not only paves the way for the 'A' to be used on a player more suitable for leadership rather than one that is 'liked' in the locker room, it can bring it a vet that could possibly put a better threat on Tavares' right.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:58 PM
OlTimeHockey

We'll dump salary no matter what. But.....we might add a short term easy acquisition and NYI.COM it to death with stories of what a hero and how this new addition farts lightning bolts and cures cancer.

Remember, Snow Got Ryan Smyth but.....only held onto Blake because the picks and prospects he was being offered was not good enough (he was dumping salary, not adding talent}. We were in dump mode, though. Clearly.

So we might see some leave to shed Wangroll and bring in a token hero trade to make SnowThe Isles look better.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Renbarg

Probably nothing. Vis, Streit, and Boyes are our only players that could go somewhere. And all three would be a big part of the success we would have if we are near the 8 spot. You'd also think Snow would want to re-sign at least one of Vis or Streit and definitely Boyes (for the right price and term). And if they trade Nabby you are looking at missing out on the playoffs no matter what.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:10 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

Tough call for a gm, who's team is likely to get rolled over in the playoffs against an elite team like Boston.

Vis-I think there will be a strong market for Vis, that Snow will be able to squeeze a late first out of some team. Unless he's agreeing to re-sign, I'd move him to the highest bidder.

Streit-with Streit asking for reasonable money on his extension, I expect he'll stick.

Boyes-I don't expect much more then a decent pick or warm body, so keep him unless some desperate gm wants to overpay.

Reasoner-like Boyes, I don't think he'll bring much back. Keep him.

Nabby- too important to trade with a possible playoff berth at stake and only Poulin to step in. Gotta keep him.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:11 PM
BillD

If we are hanging around 8th and the dump of salary (Vis/Streit+KO) does not effect the position after considering what we get back, we should do it. Our pick would be arond 16 so not a great loss. If we could get say a Bobby Ryan back for that package it is a done deal for me.
Vis+KO+1st pick for Ryan.
Streit for ???? or 1st round pick.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:13 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
If we are hanging around 8th and the dump of salary (Vis/Streit+KO) does not effect the position after considering what we get back, we should do it. Our pick would be arond 16 so not a great loss. If we could get say a Bobby Ryan back for that package it is a done deal for me.
Ryan's just the player I had in mind.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:19 PM
OlTimeHockey

If you are SERIOUS about the playoffs, you trade whatever you have minus a select few for veterans who can hit and shoot. Not big point producers, but guys who battle HAHD and will give effort every shift while CONSISTENTLY hitting on the boards and in our crease area. One or two dedicated to driving to the net and staying there.

This would mean no one on line 2 or 3 is safe.

But we're not gonna all of a sudden have a competent GM, so if we were to, say, trade Nielson or Grabner or Bailey or Okposo......we'd be reading about the guys we got back in the draft thread or BST updates.

Or SHOULD read in BST updates, but have to watch them on Fox/MSG. How I wish we could grab a Scatchard, Wiemer, Parrish or the like up front. Our ideal would be a Steve Konroyd type on defense. I would give us a fair shot at winning round one if we landed some guys like those guys.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:31 PM
StrongIslanders90

I say add some help....Nothing major that would cost us key prospects but add some stability and depth....

If we made the playoffs we would be the worst team out of all 16 imo. We are not built for the playoffs yet....

We have no Depth, our D is Average at best, and we only have one line that scores....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:31 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
If you are SERIOUS about the playoffs, you trade whatever you have minus a select few for veterans who can hit and shoot. Not big point producers, but guys who battle HAHD and will give effort every shift while CONSISTENTLY hitting on the boards and in our crease area. One or two dedicated to driving to the net and staying there.

But we're not gonna all of a sudden have a competent GM, so if we were to, say, trade Nielson or Grabner or Bailey or Okposo......we'd be reading about the guys we got back in the draft thread or BST updates.

Or SHOULD read in BST updates, but have to watch them on Fox/MSG. How I wish we could grab a Scatchard, Wiemer, Parrish or the like up front. Our ideal would be a Steve Konroyd type on defense. I would give us a fair shot at winning round one if we landed some guys like those guys.
Scatchard who i met several times, was one of my favorite Islanders ever. I guess Ryan if available ( as many of you have mentioned) would be the perfect fit.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:32 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
We'll dump salary no matter what. But.....we might add a short term easy acquisition and NYI.COM it to death with stories of what a hero and how this new addition farts lightning bolts and cures cancer.

Remember, Snow Got Ryan Smyth but.....only held onto Blake because the picks and prospects he was being offered was not good enough (he was dumping salary, not adding talent}. We were in dump mode, though. Clearly.

So we might see some leave to shed Wangroll and bring in a token hero trade to make SnowThe Isles look better.
And when we don't, will you admit you're wrong about Snow and the Isles, or just continue to spew?

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:33 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
I see Ryan being traded at the draft or in the summer but if he's available we need to be all over it....

I see Perry staying in ANA

Old
03-10-2013, 02:37 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I see Ryan being traded at the draft or in the summer but if he's available we need to be all over it....

I see Perry staying in ANA
Agreed and i also think there is NO chance the Devils let Clarkson walk either.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:

If you're serious about the playoffs, you find someone better than Boyes for the 1st line.

It shouldn't be too difficult considering it's Brad Boyes.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:51 PM
bluechipbonzo

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...rade-deadline/

Here's an idea...create a thread that considers ALL possibilities.

Moving the Viz isn't a salary dump, it's good asset management.

Shhhh...just don't tell the haters.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:52 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

I have compared our situation with the movie Major League numerous times and i could see something like Wang playing Rachel Phelps and Snow playing Charlie Donovan and us playing the last day for the 8th seed and the sound from the press box would go something like this!!

http://www.hark.com/clips/rqqjzzmwzl-sit-down-charlie

Old
03-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Jester9881

It really depends on a whole lot more than just where the Isles sit in the standings. What teams are sellers, and what do they have to offer? What are they looking for? What injuries do we have?

I don't see the Islanders trading a significant piece for a player that isn't signed beyond this year, or is over 30.

Other than that, anything can happen IMO.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:04 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
If you're serious about the playoffs, you find someone better than Boyes for the 1st line.

It shouldn't be too difficult considering it's Brad Boyes.
If we got someone big and capable, Boyes would be on line 3 scoring 15-25 goals next year.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:05 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Agreed and i also think there is NO chance the Devils let Clarkson walk either.
Clarkson at his age and productin from this year and last is going to be looking to cash in..sort of like PAP...

I could see the DEVs trying hard but I could see him walking if somone give's him better terms then NJ.

I would not be shocked if somone gave him 5+ on a 3 r 4 year deal and 4-4.5 per on a longer deal

Old
03-10-2013, 03:05 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
And when we don't, will you admit you're wrong about Snow and the Isles, or just continue to spew?
um, yeah....what? OK, Petrov.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Islanders1932

I wouldn't be surprised to see them throw Nino's name around just to see what could possibly happen.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:09 PM
StrongIslanders90

Also STL is a pretty solid and deep team....If they needed blue line help I would try Striet plus for Perron....

Old
03-10-2013, 03:31 PM
boredmale

If the Islanders are out of a playoff spot by 5 or more points at the deadline they should sell. By my calculations the team would have to go 9-3 or 10-2 to make the playoffs by that point

If they have 4 or less points to make up then I would have no problem standing pat

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Also STL is a pretty solid and deep team....If they needed blue line help I would try Striet plus for Perron....
This kind of thinking frustrates me. People end up calling Snow an idiot when nothing gets done and these are the types of "solutions" they offer. Why would the Blues give up Perron for a rental?

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:09 PM
kasper11

We will most likely stand pat, but I could see us adding if we are within 2-3 points of the 8th spot.

No, I don't think Wang is suddenly going to open up the wallet, but this year the deadline is with about 12 games left. That means the team could add a player and only be on the hook for less than 1/6 their salary.

A $3M player would cost under 500k. If there is a legit chance of this team making the playoffs, that would be a good financial risk for Wang.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote